Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Trump wants to investigate the "other side". So much for anyone thinking this is the best result in terms of the country not getting torn apart. He's going to make sure that happens anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Pretty disappointing so far, but all we have are cherry picked parts of the report. He could have written that trump most likely committed a crime, but they don't yet have solid enough evidence. But Barr chose to lighten the language.

At the end of the day, we're left with a President who didn't willing collude, but carries water for dictators for seemingly no reason and is still a profound piece of shit.

Sounds about right. Hope people don't look at the above and say to themselves they don't need to vote.

I think this is a big thing that needs to be fixed in the future when Dems have all 3 legislative parts. There need to be stronger laws on this kind of thing.

Oct 26, 2017

Paula Reid @PaulaReidCBS

MORE TO COME: DOJ official says "small group" including AG Barr, DAG Rosenstein, & Office is Legal Counsel working to determine what other details can be released from Mueller report. @CBSNews

4:57 PM - Mar 24, 2019

Drip, drip drip...

They're releasing information in such a controlled way, it's definitely fishy. It seems they'll only release information if they can put their own spin on it first.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know what's sarcasm on here but yes? Media coverage for two years has been about Russian collusion. Nothing that effects the working class.

No it hasn't

There was coverage about immigration, about the Tax Bill, about Healthcare reform, about all his foreign policy disasters.

Yea, the media covers a major investigation, not fucking shit. People got elected in 2018 because of how horrible Trump was on Taxes and Healthcare. I can't think of a single member of congress who only ran on Trump collusion and didn't focus on core issues

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't get all the defeatism going on today. Until the entire report is released we're just going by the summary of someone who decided the president was innocent before the investigation was even over. Besides, Trump is still a POS and I sincerely doubt this is going to change too many's peoples minds about him. I expect a raise in favorability for a week or two at best before things go back to normal.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Rod was a heat shield in firing Comey, now he's going to be used to limit what is revealed from the report.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drip, drip drip...

They're releasing information in such a controlled way, it's definitely fishy. It seems they'll only release information if they can put their own spin on it first.

They got the AG "summary" out there so that Trump could make his "No collusion, no obstruction" speech, before the actual redacted report is released and interpreted.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we're going to hear about this forever. Granted, he'll still be under multiple other investigations, so everytime he brings this up is a chance to bury him further.

My point wasn't that Trump won't say anything about this. We know very much that he will. My point is that nobody else will be. And it'll be a case of "who the fuck cares" and "shut up" or "greatest POTUS ever!!!" and "MAGA!!!"

It's not going to be relevant in 2020.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting from the other OT:

I saw the 'no collusion' coming at least from Trump's side of things, but it's hard to believe that Mueller did not think that either Don Jr. taking that meeting in Trump Tower specifically for getting dirt on Hillary Clinton + Manafort sharing private campaign data with Kilminik qualified as event attempts to collude. Hopefully the full report sheds more light on his thinking there.

But what I really can't get over is that Mueller did not think Trump admitting he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation or Trump personally dictating a false statement to lie about the purpose of the Trump Tower meeting or Trump repeatedly attacking and threatening multiple FBI officials over the investigation, none of that stuff could be determined to qualify as obstruction of justice. Fucking hell man, how much more blatant does it need to be? I'm not surprised that Barr, if given the choice of whether it was a crime or not, concluded it wasn't one. Wouldn't be the first time he used his position as AG to help cover up for a president. But even Mueller didn't think it was definitively obstruction? Just unreal.

Nixon was fucking right: if the president does it, it's not illegal.

None. But you also can't ignore the media echo chamber, I mean media helped Trump immensely in 2016.
While Beto isn't my #1 choice, one of his greatest strengths is a quality that'll be essential to beating Trump: dominating the news cycle. Beto can do that like no one other than Trump can. Instead of trusting the media to vet and report things responsibly, the next Dem nominee is going to need to own their fucking eyeballs going into Election Day like Trump did over Clinton and like Obama did over McCain.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Reading Twitter. My bad, sure. But there are three main credible theories happening:

1. This is so bad that NatSec stuff is happening behind the scenes and Barr/Rosentein put a good face on it to buy time while it unfolds. There's a lot more to see here.

2. This is the best (worst) possible reading of a really bad report by Republicans being cowardly and the main thing to hang your hat on are the remaining investigations. (Southpaw)

3. Mueller was never going to do an actual investigation and he was only running out the clock while the Russian mob took over the US Government and consolidated power under a fascist puppet. (Kendzior)

I, uh, am going with #1.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess he's officially switched the maga/kag switch. That couldn't possibly backfire.

One of the things that has to be in this report is trump investment in Russia and all the Deutschebank stuff. It wouldn't technically fall under the election so they'd never put it in the summary. They need to release the report.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
No it hasn't

There was coverage about immigration, about the Tax Bill, about Healthcare reform, about all his foreign policy disasters.

Yea, the media covers a major investigation, not fucking shit. People got elected in 2018 because of how horrible Trump was on Taxes and Healthcare. I can't think of a single member of congress who only ran on Trump collusion and didn't focus on core issues
Don't you remember when Sherrod Brown was touring Ohio for his re-election, telling all his Rust Belt white working-class constituents, "I don't give a shit about your jobs, I don't give a shit about your healthcare, I don't give a shit about your wages or trade. A vote for Brown is a vote for impeachment!!!"?

Oct 26, 2017
The only way we're not getting a cherry-picked report released by the DoJ is if there's a leaker, who I hope will at least wait until the DoJ releases their version of it so we can determine why what was left out was left out.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reading Twitter. My bad, sure. But there are three main credible theories happening:

1. This is so bad that NatSec stuff is happening behind the scenes and Barr/Rosentein put a good face on it to buy time while it unfolds. There's a lot more to see here.

2. This is the best (worst) possible reading of a really bad report by Republicans being cowardly and the main thing to hang your hat on are the remaining investigations. (Southpaw)

3. Mueller was never going to do an actual investigation and he was only running out the clock while the Russian mob took over the US Government and consolidated power under a fascist puppet. (Kendzior)

I, uh, am going with #1.
I think 2 is entirely reasonable.

1 is a bit too optimistic and 3 is like some QAnon nonsense.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

I, uh, am going with #1.

Could you explain 1 to me? Really bad for Trump but there slow rolling it because its just to huge or something else?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I, uh, am going with #1.

The idea of Barr doing something patriotic is pretty unrealistic. He did exactly what we thought he was going to do, ignore 99% of the report and say "no collusion".

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Would it not make more sense to get Mueller in front of Congress rather than Barr? Would Barr not just continue to carry water for Trump and deny, deny, deny? Can someone explain what having him testify does?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more upset than I thought I'd be.

I wasn't really anticipating collusion but for them to shrug their shoulders on obstruction and pass the buck is just total horseshit.

Not one page quotes the Mueller report directly. There are partial sentence quotes. How can Barr in 2 days come to these conclusions after 22 months? What the fuck is going on?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I, uh, am going with #1.
#2 here.

Although I don't know how bad it really is, obviously this is the least bad it can be made sound. Ie. No conspiracy but some pretty bad obstruction (that doesn't reach a level worth risking indicating the President over).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

d2dbnthucaajs9ngvjag.jpg

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone ever, like, really thought Mueller was going to come out with a report that said "GOTCHA!!!" but I don't think people anticipated Barr being so able to easily spin it into something positive. So that is a shame.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone ever, like, really thought Mueller was going to come out with a report that said "GOTCHA!!!" but I don't think people anticipated Barr being so able to easily spin it into something positive. So that is a shame.
Reading peoples reactions here, it really seems a fair bit of people expected Mueller to walk into the white house with an arrest warrant.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more upset than I thought I'd be.

I wasn't really anticipating collusion but for them to shrug their shoulders on obstruction and pass the buck is just total horseshit.

Not one page quotes the Mueller report directly. There are partial sentence quotes. How can Barr in 2 days come to these conclusions after 22 months? What the fuck is going on?

My read on this is pretty simple. Barr put his thumb on the scale, and has spun the report in the best possible way to deny certain key details within a very narrow definition, but the report itself explicitly stating "does not exonerate the president" is damning.

This feels like 2018 all over again, a lot of early on harping and crowing early on on the smallest of details.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is this probably changes nothing and whatever the short term effects are (I have no idea), Trump will be at -8/-10 approval in a month.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
My read on this is pretty simple. Barr put his thumb on the scale, and has spun the report in the best possible way to deny certain key details within a very narrow definition, but the report itself explicitly stating "does not exonerate the president" is damning.

This feels like 2018 all over again, a lot of early on harping and crowing early on on the smallest of details.
I wish it felt like 2018. To me it feels like the continued slow death of this democracy.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans just do not want another blemish to their party after Nixon so they will put up with what is undoubtedly the most corrupt/ criminal person ever to to be president of their party. They really are party over country.

Status
Not open for further replies.