Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't any precedent. Conservative justices will just let a republican do whatever they want to do even if it's totally illegal but not let a Democrat do whatever they want to do even if it is totally legal

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Proud to be repped by an absolute badass:

So yeah, that's a straight up impeachment inquiry launch by the Judiciary. A good initial step, though muddied by that ridiculous press conference. Then again, combined with the not obvious language saying that they're about to blast the president with the dreaded 'I' word, you could say that conference's reason was to muddy this quite official launch of legal impeachment proceedings.

You don't just aimlessly launch this shit off the hip. This has been planned and I'm sure Nadler and the other members made up their mind earlier than you probably think.

Yeah, there's probably some game going on among the oligarchs, same game as usual. Fuck it though, because overall, today is a win.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't any precedent. Conservative justices will just let a republican do whatever they want to do even if it's totally illegal but not let a Democrat do whatever they want to do even if it is totally legal

This is one of the clearest arguments in favor of Dems stacking the Courts if they do pick up the White House and Senate in 2020.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So yeah, that's a straight up impeachment inquiry launch by the Judiciary. A good initial step, though muddied by that ridiculous press conference. Then again, combined with the not obvious language saying that they're about to blast the president with the dreaded 'I' word, you could say that conference's reason was to muddy this quite official launch of legal impeachment proceedings.

You don't just aimlessly launch this shit off the hip. This has been planned and I'm sure Nadler and the other members made up their mind earlier than you probably think.

Yeah, there's probably some game going on among the oligarchs, same game as usual. Fuck it though, because overall, today is a win.

So whats the process with the house judiciary launching an inquiry?

Is a full vote necessary? Do they obtain more significant subpoena powers?

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's kind of pathetic that the Sanders campaign is trying to turn an offhand comment by a cable news contributor on a weekend show into a whole entire thing. I mean, s'alittle desperate, is all...

I mean, the dude wrote rape fanfiction. He's thrown potshots at Hillary Clinton only having support "because she's a woman" since 2016. So if a woman wants to say he makes her skin crawl, he's earned that. She said what she said.

People on Twitter have been shitting on his "Bernie is a feminist" video pretty hard with #bernieseverywoman

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, probably not. It's not voting GOP next year (thanks partly to you!), and in 2022 the lines will be redrawn.

Wexton (VA-10) and Levin are probably the safest of the freshman flips.

You're probably right. No way this district is voting for Trump and there isn't a strong GOP challenger on the horizon at the moment. For Levin to get in trouble he would have to vote against some major military measure or be viewed as anti-small business. He does have to tread a little bit lightly because there is a military base here where Trump does enjoy some support, but even still supporting impeachment wouldn't be Levin's riskiest vote.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So they are going over Pelosi's head with this or what? Does this differ in some way from the full house voting to open an impeachment inquiry?'

Ah thanks for below dabig2.

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

It is settled law that House committees can obtain grand jury materials as part of impeachment investigations. So the legal dispute will probably center on whether such an inquiry is underway.

The Constitution itself does not use phrases like "impeachment investigation" or "impeachment proceedings." This has led some to mistakenly assume that the House is disregarding its impeachment power because it has not yet held a floor vote approving articles of impeachment (or expressly instructing the Judiciary Committee to deliberate on such articles).

But to those who specialize in these matters, that all-or-nothing vision of the impeachment power is mistaken. The Constitution's text and structure — supported by judicial precedent and prior practice — show that impeachment is a process, not a single vote. And that process virtually always begins with an impeachment investigation in the judiciary committee, which is already occurring.
To understand why, look to the constitutional text. Article I vestsCongress with "all legislative Powers." The House, in turn, enjoys the "sole Power of impeachment." Because tyrants often seek to conceal and confuse, the power to impeach would mean little without the power to investigate and deliberate. By necessity, the House's "sole Power of impeachment" therefore encompasses more than final floor votes on articles of impeachment. It also covers fact-finding, hearings and debates undertaken in an effort to reach a sound judgment on whether to accuse the president of "high Crimes and Misdemeanors." In other words, the impeachment power includes the power to investigate impeachable offenses.

The Constitution imposes few limits on how the House exercises this "sole Power." Instead, it implicitly gives the House the tools it needs to investigate (namely, subpoenas and contempt citations) — and it expressly vests the House with authority to "determine the Rules of its Proceedings." The House thus enjoys near-total control over the procedures by which it activates and wields the impeachment power.

As Harvard law professor Laurence H. Tribe and I have observed, "there are many ways to initiate an impeachment." Historically, the House has exercised its power to investigate impeachable offenses primarily through the Judiciary Committee. Every impeachment to reach the Senate since 1900 has been based on resolutions from that committee, and most impeachment proceedings in the House have been initiated (and largely carried out) by the committee.
The lesson is clear. Consistent with its "sole Power of impeachment" and its prerogative to "determine the Rules of its Proceedings," the House can launch impeachment investigations in many ways. It most often does so through its judiciary committee, either based on the committee's own actions or a resolution directed to the committee; it may also pass — but isn't required to — a resolution directing the committee to investigate grounds for impeachment.

That constitutional precedent allows only a single conclusion: The committee is engaged in impeachment proceedings and is entitled to access the grand jury material that it has requested.

They basically did what Larry Tribe told them to do months ago: use and abuse that article 6{e}. No floor vote or anything like that needed. And the language used in that petition is actually a bit more final than some would like to admit, doesn't matter how it's spinned outside of the courts.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

They basically did what Larry Tribe told them to do months ago: use and abuse that article 6{e}. No floor vote or anything like that needed. And the language used in that petition is actually a bit more final than some would like to admit, doesn't matter how it's spinned outside of the courts.

Ok. So up to this point the house did not have access to grand jury material?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

i believe we recently had a court ruling basically saying "we'd give you xyz materials if this were impeachment related but not otherwise," but I can't remember which case or which materials. Was it the DC circuit ruling on Mueller grand jury testimony? Jeebus, with the amount of time i spent angsting about politics on the internet I should really get better at recalling information.

edit: oh someone already came up with a better version of this answer, ignore me. but yeah, this is the final checkbox all the by-the-book judges need to get full onboard with congressional oversight, i think.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Ok. So up to this point the house did not have access to grand jury material?

They have shit beyond whoever gave it willingly. They haven't even sniffed an inch of counterintelligence in over 2 years, no meetings surely in that timeframe which is ludicrous especially considering everything that's happened in those couple years.

CI by the way is the actual goldmine. Mueller report is an ant compared to it, and it itself spawned from CI. Curiously enough, very little if any CI was contained in the final report, and no, not even talking redactions. It straight up was not included.

So yeah, hopefully we can spry open that door a little bit more with some extra elbow grease and peek behind the curtain.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
They have shit beyond whoever gave it willingly. They haven't even sniffed an inch of counterintelligence in over 2 years, no meetings surely in that timeframe which is ludicrous especially considering everything that's happened in those couple years.

CI by the way is the actual goldmine. Mueller report is an ant compared to it, and it itself spawned from CI. Curiously enough, very little if any CI was contained in the final report, and no, not even talking redactions. It straight up was not included.

So yeah, hopefully we can spry open that door a little bit more with some extra elbow grease and peek behind the curtain.

Having impeachment as the reason you are going for that information is an advantage in court.
But the House has that oversight without impeachment.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So they are going over Pelosi's head with this or what? Does this differ in some way from the full house voting to open an impeachment inquiry?'

Ah thanks for below dabig2.
Pelosi rn:
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Am I being hoodwinked but I'm actually happy what Nadler did today?

Obviously what he did is kind of muddled, but at minimum he managed to stop the bleeding of "Impeachment is Dead" that was building yesterday. And at best, he's given an ounce of momentum and some incentive for activist and voters to pressure their Reps during summer recess to get onboard the impeachment train.

I would prefer for Congressional Dems to be leaders and bring the public along with them on impeachment, but if during the summer recess voters can shock their Reps into doing their job then that could get us moving forward with an impeachment proper at the beginning of September with plenty of time to get through the whole circus before the 2020 election swings in full force.

If you care about Impeachment and sending a message to this criminal President, bang the drum to your Rep, EVEN if they're already on board. I know I'm going to keep nagging Mike Levin, so he understands his job depends on maintaining his full support for impeachment and fulfilling his oath of office to uphold the constitution.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Am I being hoodwinked but I'm actually happy what Nadler did today?

Obviously what he did is kind of muddled, but at minimum he managed to stop the bleeding of "Impeachment is Dead" that was building yesterday. And at best, he's given an ounce of momentum and some incentive for activist and voters to pressure their Reps during summer recess to get onboard the impeachment train.

I would prefer for Congressional Dems to be leaders and bring the public along with them on impeachment, but if during the summer recess voters can shock their Reps into doing their job then that could get us moving forward with an impeachment proper at the beginning of September with plenty of time to get through the whole circus before the 2020 election swings in full force.

If you care about Impeachment and sending a message to this criminal President, bang the drum to your Rep, EVEN if they're already on board. I know I'm going to keep nagging Mike Levin, so he understands his job depends on maintaining his full support for impeachment and fulfilling his oath of office to uphold the constitution.

Yeah, Nadler did a solid for everyone by doing what he's doing. Without it, even with the news of more people being open to impeachment, I feel like the momentum would be lost.

I'm thinking by September, either impeachment is happening, or it will never happen. Kinda like how Boehner got booted post recess.

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw a clip of Pelosi on tv saying "they can espouse their own opinions on impeachment, they can be mad at me for trying to go about this in the most determined, positive way. They can go about it the way they are, it only gives me more leverage."

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
No, seriously, I thought he disdained things like Hollywood fundraisers and implied that people who benefited from them weren't ~~~grassroots~~~ and couldn't relate to the ~~~working class~~~.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, seriously, I thought he disdained things like Hollywood fundraisers and implied that people who benefited from them weren't ~~~grassroots~~~ and couldn't relate to the ~~~working class~~~.
How can I put it more simply? Based on watching him for decades, I believe @BernieSanders is a phony. Not a monster like @realDonaldTrump but a phony. I'd prefer him massively over Trump. But I'd prefer a cardboard box over Trump.
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) May 6, 2019

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You would think that they would leave healthcare alone after 2018 but going after it is going to be what really hands us all three branches.
That Twitter message leaves out a lot of detail and misrepresents the facts (mainly that Utah is full of shit).

And while they may not provide the enhanced funding because they hate the law (and have signed on to the effort to dismantle it now making its way through the courts), it's something that's at their discretion because Utah is full of shit (a Democratic administration would have told them to get fucked too).

Utah could have easily followed the law (and the will of the voters), and they wouldn't have needed an exception.

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Sums it up really

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
If any little event equals "Democrats in Disarray," what do all these GOP members dropping out at once mean? Republicans in ... riot? Row? Racket? (Do people never write that headline because the alliteration isn't as good?)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Fuck the environmental effects of a partially built wall, amirite?
I don't think they will be more than negligible. But if you want to be mad about wasted money and precedent we can use once we are in power to fight climate change I'm not going to stop you. It's mostly bad news, but it's still in line with how much I thought he was going to get done when he got elected.

IMO Republicans dropping out now of all times may suggest they're worried that the right-wing is too crazed and unstable. Trump is literally nuts, and every day finds a new way to shoot them all in the foot.

It's like hanging on to a burning party bus that is on the way to payout city, except you know, it's on fucking fire.

I have wondered if Trump and Republicans going after the so-called squad could simply backfire. The MO of Trumpism is to go completely over the top with insane claims and ceaseless coordinated attacks from the right-wing propaganda industry.

Doing that to women (at least women who aren't Hillary) can really piss people off, especially other women who aren't republican stepford wives.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
He's giving the Mormons more reasons to not show up for him or the Republicans.
The Utah GOP already did that (and it's not going to make a bit of difference in the voting booth).

This is a thing because they ignored the voters and decided to implement a noncompliant expansion (reducing eligibility and imposing work requirements). As such, they need approval for federal funding (because they're not following the law).

The administration is within its rights to tell them to stick it (and we would have done the same, for better reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.