• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other people have highlighted it in here but I also think some people are a little obsessed with "giving advice". A lot of times people aren't really asking for any practical advice and just want people to listen to them about something. It can come off as very dismissive when someone opens up about something and then the post following are immediately

But this is a discussion board! It isn't tumblr or LiveJournal. The mission statement even calls out discussing various topics as being the point of the place, not simply listening to someone who wants support via absolute understanding and zero criticism of their situation. That is what a therapist is for.

I feel for the staff right now as they're at a crossroads where they simply can't win. They either continue to support discussion and then lose a lot of certain groups who want social interaction and a safe space all at the same time, again, the role of a therapist. Or they overly protect these groups, stifle discussion, and further perpetuate a groupthink environment which is already a bit of an issue.

Good luck!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried to get a little more introspective on my posting and consuming habits with the events that have happened in the last week or so. I think a few things I am trying to work on personally include:

1. Simply post less on topics that I am not invested in personally. Reading and learning about a subject is way more valuable than posting something reactionary and promptly vacating the thread unless someone responds to your post. There is a human behavioral component with fast brain function and slow brain function that is constantly happening. The fast brain function is the "knee-jerk reaction" many have when encountering a topic or situation and often my first instinct when entering a thread is to respond to my first impression of the OP. It is part of human psychology to quickly assess the needs of a situation, mainly geared for offline situations, but it leaks over to online topics leading to misinterpretation and potential conflict. Slow brain function is what analyzes a situation and gives you a chance to reflect and plan out future moves, it tends to be the state most people should post in because at that point you are at least a bit invested.

2. Be more empathetic to others with differing points of view to you, if they aren't hurting anyone with their opinions. Just as a personal example, I post a lot in sales threads over on the Gaming side. I was finding myself butting heads with another poster quite often because I found their conclusions to be rather ridiculous, putting a positive spin on every bit of news for a company. I realized they weren't harming anyone and I was letting my bias towards my preferred gaming company cloud my discussions and I was becoming excessively dismissive in an unproductive manner. What's the point of that?

3. Don't post if I don't have something unique to say or gain from it. If I'm simply adding my voice to a chorus, not much is going to come from that and I'm wasting my own time.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I was accused of being a member of an alt-right racist troll group when I'm actually strongly anti-racist, anti-sexist and gay myself .. so I'm very pro-LGBT causes. Not only that, but I do a great deal of volunteering for progressive candidates for office and have since before I was legally allowed to vote. It hurts a great deal to be called a Nazi when you strive to be the polar opposite.

That's just me, though. Others (also progressives) have left the site because of the extreme hostility on display here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
But this is a discussion board! It isn't tumblr or LiveJournal. The mission statement even calls out discussing various topics as being the point of the place, not simply listening to someone who wants support via absolute understanding and zero criticism of their situation. That is what a therapist is for.
These things can co-exist. Just because your criticisms aren't wanted in one thread doesn't mean you are not allowed to criticize anything ever throughout the whole website. You should just recognize that there are times when what you have to say is unwarranted or unneeded. It's okay to not say anything sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
I was accused of being a member of an alt-right racist troll group when I'm actually strongly anti-racist, anti-sexist and gay myself .. so I'm very pro-LGBT causes. Not only that, but I do a great deal of volunteering for progressive candidates for office and have since before I was legally allowed to vote. It hurts a great deal to be called a Nazi when you strive to be the polar opposite.

That's just me, though. Others (also progressives) have left the site because of the extreme hostility on display here.
The absolute drive from some posters to accuse someone of being racist/sexist/homophobic, and the effort that goes into manipulating a seemingly innocuous statement is insane here.

People can't wait to level accusations at each other from outright "You're a racist because of x,y,z" to the snarky, passive-aggressive "suss" or "showing your ass" comments on literally any topic or comment. There's little to no sense of community here compared to heydays of GAF (before it went off the rails). Myself and multiple other posters rarely, if ever, make threads anymore because it's almost a guarantee that no matter what the topic, it will devolve into attacks and accusations—often completely unwarranted.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A huge majority of posters on this forum want to be right, no matter the cost. They are more interested in dunking on the person they are quoting then they are having a meaningful discussion. A lot of posters on this forum speak so matter-of-fact that if you even suggest they may be wrong or that you don't agree they will attack you. A lot of posters here will misconstrue what you typed to get a rise out of you and then ask "why are you so defensive?"

So many posters on here accuse EVERY SINGLE PERSON that doesn't agree with them as either: sexist or racist. They will take something small you said and twist it every which way to make you seem like something you are not.

This shit happens in every. single. thread. It is incredibly exhausting and makes any sort of discussion of dissenting opinions or ideals almost non-existent.

On topic: I'm sorry you felt that way OP. I truly hope it gets better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is a problem here, with posters at least, that we tend to assume just because someone doesn't agree strongly enough, or agrees in a slightly different way, that they are acting in bad faith.

If you think someone is genuinely acting in bad faith repeatedly, that's when you should hit the report button (or if it's really blatant and egregious). If you're unsure, ask them to explain. They'll either explain it in a way that makes it make sense, or they'll double down hard enough that a report would be more obvious.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
great example of exactly the kind of rhetoric Instrument that makes other members feel ridiculed. Good job.
No, believing having a child makes you a climate change denier and attacking someone who does with accusations like that is not an opinion or behavior that deserves to be treated with any semblance of respect. I think people should be nice to each other for sure but some ideas shouldn't be met with any positive reinforcement or coddling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The absolute drive from some posters to accuse someone of being racist/sexist/homophobic, and the effort that goes into manipulating a seemingly innocuous statement is insane here.

People can't wait to level accusations at each other from outright "You're a racist because of x,y,z" to the snarky, passive-aggressive "suss" or "showing your ass" comments on literally any topic or comment. There's little to no sense of community here compared to heydays of GAF (before it went off the rails). Myself and multiple other posters rarely, if ever, make threads anymore because it's almost a guarantee that no matter what the topic, it will devolve into attacks and accusations—often completely unwarranted.

sadly I have to echo this. I'm in that group as well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What happens to users with questionable posts is so inconsistent that it's hard to have a ton of faith in reporting anything. I was banned for 5 days for complimenting a joke that was deemed offensive, as was the person making the joke initially. The exact same joke is currently in the title for a thread with 300k+ views and tons of mod/admin posts. I see some heinous posts get warned or ignored altogether and some fairly benign ones get major bans. I share your lack of confidence in the systems, lack of appeals process and lack of real transparency.
Can you link any examples of "benign" posts resulting in major bans and "heinous" ones only getting warnings? I'd be interested to see that. Because all of the bans I can remember seeing off the top of my head were justified.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Something that bugs me about this forum is how incredibly political everything becomes. I totally understand why it is that way and I'd be fine with it, but I see people ridiculously quick to label every single person who disagrees with them "alt right" or a "trump supporter". I mean it's wild how quick it happens. I'm a negative person which I'm working on, but I'm a sony fan primarily so I mainly only comment on sony games. A lot of my comments are on the negative side and I'll instantly be labeled an "xbot" or a "concern troll" often with people doubting I even own a playstation which is hilarious given I have absurd amounts of trophies over the years, that's some real dedication to trolling and getting in character I guess?

For example I saw people in the impossible whopper thread that were being accused of "pulling things straight from the alt right playbook", when in reality it was extremely clear what the users were intending and it was in no way trolling or "bootlicking", which btw apparently the internet clearly just learned this word because it is thrown out constantly. Every little disagreement you are a "bootlicker". The forum needs to chill with jumping to conclusions, it's so quick and not every single thing is trying to support trump, there are genuine reasons people say things even if they're misguided. It does not instantly mean you're a trump supporter.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here Here! I refrain from giving a lot of opinions that deviate from the "norm" for fear of the instant dismissiveness of my opinion. I need to find a new home I think.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Here Here! I refrain from giving a lot of opinions that deviate from the "norm" for fear of the instant dismissiveness of my opinion. I need to find a new home I think.

People have an extreme tendency to decounstruct "out of the norm posts" so it can easier be attacked. It is a maddening technic for some cheap shots.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Just quoting for truth. Toxicity exists even if you're totally in the right. People don't know how to have a normal, calm discussion anymore outside of OTs.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

yeah it's a shame but I've definitely moved over to reddit a bit more... which I really can't stand, but I just go there for sports reddits and a few niche subreddits. The whole era vibe is extremely elitist and dismissive. There are definitely some very intelligent people on here, but it's amazing how so many people just shoot you down or dump on your opinion if they disagree.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
While generally this can be good advice, I've found a lot of help and support from others on this forum for extremely personal and traumatic experiences. The generally anonymous nature of the forum makes it much easier for myself and others to discuss traumatic experiences they've had, because sometimes discussing that sort of thing with people you know in real life can be very scary and also invite risk of rejection, judgement, ostracization, etc. Those risks still exist in online interactions in communities like this one, but the consequences are much less severe.

Just as some examples, some people might find it difficult to come out as gay or trans in their real life social circles, but are more comfortable doing so here. Or people may be more comfortable discussing sexual harassment, assault, or abuse if they've been victimized.
I think YMMV with seeking that support here. Judging from the OPs post I think he's much better suited seeking a professional for that type of help. And I will always recommend that over all else.

Oct 27, 2017
The best way to describe how the vibe has shifted over the years is when it comes to notifications.

I used to get excited when someone quoted me, now when I see the little red marker I have a minor panic attack and don't want to check.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think YMMV with seeking that support here. Judging from the OPs post I think he's much better suited seeking a professional for that type of help. And I will always recommend that over all else.
Absolutely, seeking professional help for serious issues is necessary. This forum or any other online discussion place is not a replacement for that. I'm just offering another perspective.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best way to describe how the vibe has shifted over the years is when it comes to notifications.

I used to get excited when someone quoted me, now when I see the little red marker I have a minor panic attack and don't want to check.

This place is just no fun and I fully admit I'm part of the problem. A number of people have mentioned GAF, but the comparisons are not totally fair because things are so different now. Political, social, and environmental issues weigh heavy in our minds and I don't think we're doing a good job managing them in healthy ways. It's never an excuse but I think we end up taking out our frustrations on one another. And while Era was formed with the best goals and intentions, I often feel like we've never fully escaped from a cloud over our heads.

Sorry if the reply notification causes anxiety- I can relate and turned off that feature a while ago and just track threads manually now.

This post would be better if it offered some constructive suggestions on how to improve, but honestly, I was about 3 clicks away from requesting an account deletion and just happened to see this thread.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This place is just no fun and I fully admit I'm part of the problem. A number of people have mentioned GAF, but the comparisons are not totally fair because things are so different now. Political, social, and environmental issues weigh heavy in our minds and I don't think we're doing a good job managing them in healthy ways. It's never an excuse but I think we end up taking out our frustrations on one another. And while Era was formed with the best goals and intentions, I often feel like we've never fully escaped from a cloud over our heads.

Sorry if the reply notification causes anxiety- I can relate and turned off that feature a while ago and just track threads manually now.

This post would be better if it offered some constructive suggestions on how to improve, but honestly, I was about 3 clicks away from requesting an account deletion and just happened to see this thread.
I agree 100% this place isn't fun. Everything is negative as all fuck. I do think it has to do with the constant political threads as well. I've always thought there should be a separate section for "Politics" and if something big happens maybe an notification to all users will be sent out?

The etc,etc... forum is just depressing.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I agree 100% this place isn't fun. Everything is negative as all fuck. I do think it has to do with the constant political threads as well. I've always thought there should be a separate section for "Politics" and if something big happens maybe an notification to all users will be sent out?

Big events should be stickied or something. And then everything else in a separate politics section.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Haha same. I made a post about pizza reheating a while ago and got like 11 notifications and I went "oh no." Tbh I used to really enjoy this place but honestly now I only come here out of a habit I can't really seem to break. It stresses me out and I don't really enjoy it. It's so negative about like, everything. I should block the place or something lol

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Yeah a seperate section with Politics only and where there is a higher requirement to be able to post (like min 100 post and 3 months account time).

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Something that bugs me about this forum is how incredibly political everything becomes. I totally understand why it is that way and I'd be fine with it, but I see people ridiculously quick to label every single person who disagrees with them "alt right" or a "trump supporter". I mean it's wild how quick it happens.
This really doesn't happen as often as you think, and when you see it there is likely reasoning behind it, it's not just being thrown around.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah a seperate section with Politics only and where there is a higher requirement to be able to post (like min 100 post and 3 months account time).
Big events should be stickied or something. And then everything else in a separate politics section.
Nah, it's too pervasive to be cordoned off. Plus, when some people think "politics" they are also throwing social issues into that as well, which politics can be intertwined with. There's no objective way to draw the line. The topic people want to discuss will be the topics most represented on the forum, I don't think there's an issue with that, people can stay out of the discussions they dislike.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Nah, it's too pervasive to be cordoned off. Plus, when some people think "politics" they are also throwing social issues into that as well, which politics can be intertwined with. There's no objective way to draw the line. The topic people want to discuss will be the topics most represented on the forum, I don't think there's an issue with that, people can stay out of the discussions they dislike.

I honestly think there would be an easy way to section it off and to keep trolls out with two post accounts that want to derail a thread.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with disliking the discussion at hand. People have stated (even in this thread) that if they deviate from the norm they get attacked and their words get twisted into be "alt-right" or a "nazi." For people who want to state their thoughts or opinions while also having anxiety this just doesn't work. This is what everyone in this thread is also talking about in being combative and hostile.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha same. I made a post about pizza reheating a while ago and got like 11 notifications and I went "oh no." Tbh I used to really enjoy this place but honestly now I only come here out of a habit I can't really seem to break. It stresses me out and I don't really enjoy it. It's so negative about like, everything. I should block the place or something lol
This is me. So many years on GAF and then here and it's the first thing I hit in the mornings when I jump on my laptop for work. It's still the best place for news but as far community and discussion goes it's a fucking sewer these days outside of community threads.

I do mostly go here by instinct though and often become immediately irritated or bummed out after reading replies/posts from certain users or certain topics. But yeah it's definitely an ingrained habit more than a conscious decision. And here I am still posting and participating lol.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It has nothing to do with disliking the discussion at hand. People have stated (even in this thread) that if they deviate from the norm they get attacked and their words get twisted into be "alt-right" or a "nazi." For people who want to state their thoughts or opinions while also having anxiety this just work. This is what everyone in this thread is also talking about in being combative and hostile.
What kind of opinions do people have that they are nervous about? I don't understand being super nervous to post at all.

Like, this could be a case of maybe some opinions not being that great?

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of opinions do people have that they are nervous about? I don't understand being super nervous to post at all.

Like, this could be a case of maybe some opinions not being that great?
Of course it can, but I don't think that is always the case.

It happens a lot in other threads;
"X is racist."
"I don't think X is racist."
"You are racist because you don't think X is racist."

It really just kills all discussion. Then when you try and explain WHY you don't think something is racist you "arguing in bad faith."

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This needs to be addressed.
I'm really sorry! We all sometimes jump the gun a bit when it comes to posting quickly or judgementally and I have definitely encountered things you are talking about. Been guilty of it myself. I always prefer to stay positive and keep improving myself, trying to effect change wherever I can. We definitely can improve.

I hope you continue to stay positive. I remember your avatar/username and some posts you've made in the past, I definitely have a good impression of you. Hope your life keeps improving :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the big things that people need to be aware of is that everyone has a different capacity. Some posters are extremely aggressive and have absolutely no qualms about lashing out at others because they think they can take it, so why can't everyone else? This leads to a lot of people basically rushing to have the hottest, meanest take regardless of who's receiving it, and that can get incredibly destructive incredibly quickly.

This idea that anyone who you disagree with is the ENEMY needs to stop. We need to learn how to disagree with each other without declaring war, and that's something that's been a problem on gaming side AND on Etc.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I feel for the staff right now as they're at a crossroads where they simply can't win. They either continue to support discussion and then lose a lot of certain groups who want social interaction and a safe space all at the same time, again, the role of a therapist. Or they overly protect these groups, stifle discussion, and further perpetuate a groupthink environment which is already a bit of an issue.

Good luck!

The point is that there isn't discussion, there's a consensus on the board, and if you don't fall in line with it you are automatically wrong or a piece of shit for thinking otherwise. Again I actually agree with a lot of it, but there's a much better approach than just immediately shouting "you're bootlicking scum!" Always funny coming from people with disney/marvel avatars as well.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for writing this op. I too have trouble expressing my self at times especially when I am going through something. There was a thread I made while back where I was contemplating leaving. Some users thought I was going to kill myself and once they looked at a few previous posts without context, they practically encouraged me to so. I was shaking. I'll be honest, I was considering doing so after reading that. One dude who did pm'ed me showing "concern" but only after people called him out. He never replied back after finding out I wasn't gonna do it lol. Thankfully, there were others who were legit concerned and I'm greatful for them. I hope you get results here op, I'm rooting for ya and sorry for that mini rant. That has stuck with me to this day.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
A good portion of the board probably suffers from anxiety and or depression and that can definitely affect discourse.

The issue is certainly not anxiety/depression, it's self righteous and condescending attitude where if you disagree you are wrong and not on the right side. Again I'll draw it back to the argument about the vegan suing BK, where people were like "yeah we can't be suing the one company pushing a meatless product stuff like this has companies just skipping it to not deal with the hassle" you get responses like "bend the knee bootlicker" or "sraight from the alt right playbook" on perfectly reasonable comments like that. Even if the person is wrong in their viewpoint, which is subjective imo, you should maybe try to explain why that's a broken point of view rather than using terms like bootlicker (again did the internet just rediscover this term or something? It's just everywhere for every reason now) or scum

edit- there's definitely a lack of empathy as well and a ton of self righteousness.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The issue is certainly not anxiety/depression, it's self righteous and condescending attitude where if you disagree you are wrong and not on the right side. Again I'll draw it back to the argument about the vegan suing BK, where people were like "yeah we can't be suing the one company pushing a meatless product stuff like this has companies just skipping it to not deal with the hassle" you get responses like "bend the knee bootlicker" or "sraight from the alt right playbook" on perfectly reasonable comments like that. Even if the person is wrong in their viewpoint, which is subjective imo, you should maybe try to explain why that's a broken point of view rather than using terms like bootlicker (again did the internet just rediscover this term or something? It's just everywhere for every reason now) or scum
I'm no doctor but anxiety and depression could be why some people lash out like that. I agree with you I dont like when convos go that way but I just bring up the anxiety/depression thing because I've noticed with a lot of people I know, including myself, that when we feel down, discussion about just about anything is a lot more negative. Everyone is more irritable and reactionary. Plus it makes it harder to take criticism in a positive way. I'm sure self righteousness is part of it. Lots of people on their high horse.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

edit- there's definitely a lack of empathy as well and a ton of self righteousness.
I know what example you are speaking of and the poster got banned for that hostility, so it's not really that good an example when the mods are already stamping down on such things?

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I've been getting irritated by are people getting mocked for supporting Bernie Sanders or social democratic policies. It happens frequently in the PoliEra thread.
I have the feeling supporthiing him is seen as being non realist. But I like his ideas because they are about fixing USA with european concepts, which imo USA need(affordable tuition, good healthcare,etc).