• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Shorted my PS4 copy and will play on switch, not making the same mistake I made with DBFZ

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is a bit of a kick in the nuts. When has a game ever released on two consoles where one had a shitty midi OST and the other had the original orchestrated version.

I thought that racist composer had some Japanese rights to it or something?
Could be Nintendo made a deal for the exclusive rights.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I think the issue a lot of people are having, (or at least I am), is that a lot of this content could easily be brought to the other versions, and instead SE just excepts you to buy the entire game again. DLC money isn't enough, they want people to buy the same game again for $60. After telling people in the west they definitely needed to buy DQ or else they jus taught not bring it over anymore. It's just a shitty way to treat your customers.

That's fair enough, DLC/patches/updates etc seem to have made this stuff a bit murky now-a-days with fans. I wonder if next year if they go with the DLC route or try and sell that Super Duper version on Steam/PS4 again. People wont be happy with that either.

Surely it would be DLC if they did it.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the music thing is a real slap in the face to early adopters especially because the reason they gave I believe was that the creator of it didnt want it to happen but somehow they can do it here? I'm also kind of miffed about it but whatever.
The composer wanted more money for it. Likily Nintendo or SE paid for it for the switch version. I think we will get a paid dlc for the soundtrack for the Ps4/pc later.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
A statement to IGN Japan was them telling NA/EU gamers that they had to buy Dragon Quest XI, and specifically the PS4/PC version, or "no more Dragon Quest"?

Considering the producer literally said as much i dont know why it matters who it was said to and why that would make a difference. It was still said.

Yeah this is where I'm at too. Console exclusivity has always been shitty and luckily the industry has slowly been moving away from it, but it's a thing and I've just gotten used to it. But SE did say this and it's was a shitty, scummy thing to do knowing an enhanced version was already on lock to be announced not even half a year later. Reminds me, (to a lesser degree), when people were asking them if the KH Remixes were going to come to PS4 and they just weren't sure but be sure to buy the PS3 versions.

I think the issue a lot of people are having, (or at least I am), is that a lot of this content could easily be brought to the other versions, and instead SE just excepts you to buy the entire game again. DLC money isn't enough, they want people to buy the same game again for $60. After telling people in the west they definitely needed to buy DQ or else they jus taught not bring it over anymore. It's just a shitty way to treat your customers.

And yeah your exactly right this is the issue most would have. For me personally if the game was older i wouldnt care, but the fact that its like less than 6 months old stings

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Still seems like a weird thing to pay for exclusive rights for.

Sony and Microsoft handling out deals for exclusive maps or "First on" stuff on their consoles for various IP's like Call of Duty or Battlefield . Exclusive third party titles are nearly extinct, it's actually not so weird to save at least version exclusive content.

Still playing the game on PlayStation 4. I'm too long into this playthrough to simply dump it. But since I really like the game, I will get it on Switch too, the extra stuff is worth it plus portability. This feels like Persona 4 Golden.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see plenty of people being miffed about the music, the rest of the content is whatever but them MIDIs in the base version are nails on chalk. Turning around and solely adding it to another version is a pie in the face.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
If they offer it as a free update or at least as a dlc, people wouldn't be so outraged about it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still seems like a weird thing to pay for exclusive rights for.

But with that said, as weird as it may be, they are doing a good job at justifying people to double dip or take interest in a year-old port.

Exclusive contents happen all the time, though it's not very common nowadays.
The biggest example is Destiny's (and Destiny 2) exclusive content on PS4 and that game was released day and date with XB1 version.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I waited for the switch version and it's a reward for waiting. Maybe Nintendo paid to support the orchestra?

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
again this is such common practice from 3rd parties for Nintendo consoles,
only this time it is reversed, and actually matter, so finally people start to care.

how ironic.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I bought it already on PC because I prefer preformance over portability now I have the version with less content.

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS stuff I have no problem staying exclusive that was always a Nintendo thing and it would have been just a novelty to me anyway. But the rest of it better be offered as DLC.

Apr 21, 2018
Exclusive contents happen all the time, though it's not very common nowadays.
The biggest example is Destiny's (and Destiny 2) exclusive content on PS4 and that game was released day and date with XB1 version.

Is this the first time we know about though that the OST is decidedly different in releases?

I know they do the early DLC content and special characters sometimes and all of that, but this must be the first or one of the first examples of this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really mind the 2D stuff being Nintendo exclusive but yeah, as someone who plays Switch docked 95% of the time I don't really want to play a lower resolution version of a game I already bought if I want the other extras. The orchestral soundtrack and the character stories should be offered as DLC, it just seems really dumb and like a slap in the face to those who bought it less than a year ago.

For what it's worth, I also think it's incredibly gross when other platforms get exclusive content, too. But at least in most of those cases, if it's a timed exclusive, they confirm up-front that it'll release on the other platforms eventually.

This feels more like forcing people to double dip only to release the Definitive Edition Upgrade for PS4 three months later without telling anyone.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I mean, maybe I misheard but didn't it say 'launching exclusively'?

And isn't that gaming business speak for 'we get it first.'? I'd be surprised if none of the additions we ever available on the other platforms tbh. It's definitely overreacting to be actually mad before we know any more.

Also saying it's been less than six months is a bit misleading as the actual game won't be out for like more than another 6.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this the first time we know about though that the OST is decidedly different in releases?

I know they do the early DLC content and special characters sometimes and all of that, but this must be the first or one of the first examples of this.

Not sure, as I never think of OST as big deal in most games, especially not in DQ where the music is iconic but not something I would listen outside of the games.
Also people who have played DQ in the past are already used to MIDI. The only DQ with orchestrated music is western release of VIII on PS2.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I put over 100 hours into DQXI on the PS4, and I don't care at all about this.

Like, the localized version released with at least two massive improvements, as well: voices and running. This version is coming even later, and so has to wrestle with the imperative to overcome an isolated release. A combination of that, whatever business arrangements were made with Nintendo to secure a successful port, and the uniqueness of the Switch's hardware, and we have a version with some differences/additions/improvements (...that will probably mostly make it to other platforms eventually).

My reaction revolves around a couple things: firstly, DQXI was a fully realized product, I loved that product, and the act of overemphasizing changes/additions around the periphery is more FOMO than anything else; secondly, to the extent such changes/additions have a meaningful impact, that impact is impossible to quantify without having already played the game, anyway (in other words, "I'm glad I waited" is at best an interesting theory).

So I just think it's real cool that the experience on the Switch is going to let me view a game I loved in a somewhat different light.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Why wouldn't the new content, including music, also come to PC and PS4? Doesn't make sense at all.

I think people are jumping the gun here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dont care that much for the soundtrack because of mods, nor about Japanese va and the 2D version. I don't know about the new content though. It'll depend. The only sad thing is that there's no definitive version of this game. Either a version with slightly less content or one with significantly worse visuals. Reminds me of DQVIII but in a worse way.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It really isn't fair that PS4 & PC gamers miss out on the Orchestrated soundtrack at the very least, a DLC option should at least be available, dunno if you can call it entitlement when people would be happy to pay & hell you can mod it into the PC version anyway, Square might as well sell it.

Personally im more worried about Persona 5, if Atlus make exclusive content for the Switch release & don't offer a DLC for Persona 5 PS4, that would be disappointing, im not in the mood to double dip & i think a lot of other people are in the same boat, these sort of practises should have ended Gen 7 with the arrival of DLC.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it an age thing? 'cause I've played DQ11 and the soundtrack sounds like a Dragon Quest soundtrack. With the exception of the Western DQ8 on PS2, they all sound about the same.

Yeah like seriously, I don't get the overblown hate on the OST.
DQ11 OST sounds like other DQ. It's nothing extraordinary, but not dog shit either like this site seems to suggest.
I wouldn't consider buying any DQ OST, but none of them has prevented me from enjoying DQ.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Like, the localized version released with at least two massive improvements, as well: voices and running.

Three massive improvements - voices, running, and the hard monsters draconian mod. Hard monsters mod is a major game-changer - without it, I find the game kind of boring, but with it on, it was one of my favorite games of the year.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am not mad each has its trade offs

I got to play a year earlier, I can play in 4K and I have trophies. But I miss out on 2 extra orchestral tracks (unless I missed an update overnight that it is fully orchestrated), some additional side content and a 2D mode.

On the Switch I have to put up with lower framerate and fuzzier graphics, no trophies and another 6 months wait.

Since the PS4 got a Royal Edition DLC on FFXV and Maxima DLC I know Square will do the same. It will probably be day and date with the Switch version.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But I miss out on 2 extra orchestral tracks (unless I missed an update overnight that it is fully orchestrated), some additional side content and a 2D mode.

The amazon page says "fully orchestrated field and battle tunes" which sounds like the entire soundtrack minus cutscenes to me.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I'd understand if all versions released at the same time, but they didn't. Just like the later western version had improvements over the original Japanese version, the later switch version has improvements over the earlier original western release.

I'd imagine most people who bought the game before would have already finished it by the time the switch version comes out.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
something tells me if it was reversed and ps4 was getting the late definitive edition, [most of] the very same people wouldn't call SE scummy over that
just a guess tho, i can't be sure

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Come to say that I was waiting for the Switch version to play this...

BUT I will play this with the MIDI soundtrack, and not the orchestral one.

As a long-time 'Dragon Quest' fan I find incredibly more charming and nostalgic a classic sound design, instead of chasing the boring and generic orchestral approach that are using most of the big productions nowadays.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Three massive improvements - voices, running, and the hard monsters draconian mod. Hard monsters mod is a major game-changer - without it, I find the game kind of boring, but with it on, it was one of my favorite games of the year.

Ahh, that's right!

I didn't utilize the Draconian Quest stuff at all, but yeah, very interested in seeing how it changes things on a second playthrough. (Also going to use the cinematic camera or whatever next time around, seeing as I was a fool who refused to admit that "move character from point A to point B once in awhile" wasn't doing much for me.)

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Personally, I'm not mad. I got to play the game earlier and with what I assume to be better visuals. I will double dip though as these added featues are worth it to me to make another purchase. I especially love the 16-bit version you can toggle between, that is so damn cool.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Square Enix is so scummy lately, it's normal people get pissed. I knew they were going to do shit like this for KH3 (I'd be shocked if there isn't a Final Mix version in a year), never though they'd do it with Dragon Quest.

Guess that will teach me to wait until every Square Enix game I buy is below 20€ just in case a new version comes. Way to make me support your games SE.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
People don't like being told to buy a game again if you want the content that could easily be dlc.

Especially when some of that content is "we actually made a version of our awful soundtrack with effort". It just reeks of them making the game worse so they could entice you to buy it again later.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Because people who got it on PS4/PC wants all the improvements and content without buying it again? It's obvious..

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game is coming up on two years in japan, its prime market, so yeah a vanilla port wouldn't make a lot of sense. sucks that it's "walled off" but i don't think enough would double dip on PS4 to make a definitive edition worthwhile

and yeah, it'd be much ado about nothing if not for the OST but it sucks, jesus wept and we all have to move on with our lives

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
My major complain is about the music. On the PS4 is TERRIBLE, so the fact that an orchestral version will be on the Switch release makes me really angry about it... I just HOPE they will release it as a free patch...
It's not an upgrade, it should have been the same from the start.
Everything else is a good add-on, but nothing I complain personally.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it an age thing? 'cause I've played DQ11 and the soundtrack sounds like a Dragon Quest soundtrack. With the exception of the Western DQ8 on PS2, they all sound about the same.

I think the orchestral is probably (close to) objectively better, but I didn't find the MIDI soundtrack anywhere near as offensive or ear-bleedingly bad people here say it is, and I spent 95 hours with the game.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't make sense to have new content exclusive to another platform in this age of patches and DLC packs, even when we take release timing out of the picture. The thing is, I'm very confident that this will wind up getting released on PS4 as a DLC upgrade, like World of Final Fantasy: Maxima. It's unfortunate that they have decided not to be upfront about it, though.

On a side note, It's also peculiar to me to present it as a Definitive Edition if it is technically inferior to the other versions, with some very obvious rendering limitations shown in the video. Could just be a branding move, since it will assuredly be available for the other versions eventually as well. It would as if thinking the 3DS version of DQ8 was the definitive version just because it has more content in it, when it was lacking in so many presentational aspects compared to the original release.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Come to say that I was waiting for the Switch version to play this...

BUT I will play this with the MIDI soundtrack, and not the orchestral one.

As a long-time 'Dragon Quest' fan I find incredibly more charming and nostalgic a classic sound design, instead of chasing the boring and generic orchestral approach that are using most of the big productions nowadays.
I'm a classically trained musician but I agree. The electronic sound is a big part of the charm of videogame soundtracks to me.