• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
The marketing was amazing in the fact that leading up to release, it felt like the film had been promoted forever and we'd been seeing ads for it for years, yet at the same time it never felt like it was actually imminent.
If anything I've seen less trailers as we've got closer to the release date. I haven't seen a trailer for it this month and I've been to the cinema 5 times.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Right, can someone explain this to me?

What is it projected to make Sat/Sun? Because so far it's on the same numbers as WW, so how is it projected to make up to ten million less?

I don't mean that angrily, rather I don't understand the maths involved.
I think word of mouth is being factored in -- WW opened with a similar Friday amount, but it felt like everyone I know was talking about that movie and telling folks to see it. Justice League....not so much. It's not going to be a huge difference in opening weekends, though, maybe around $5M.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Bronson caught a Thursday night premiere of The Mountain Between Us but we never got his review. For shame.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The film more than deserves it for being as bad as it was.
It needs to happen, just still stunned its actually playing out like this.

I thought atleast WW would buy it some goodwill before everything goes to shit in the following week but nope, its like that movie never even happened.

Moviegoers getting more saavy about this (and reviews). People saw Superman and Batman and they just fucking ran.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I think word of mouth is being factored in -- WW opened with a similar Friday amount, but it felt like everyone I know was talking about that movie and telling folks to see it. Justice League....not so much. It's not going to be a huge difference in opening weekends, though, maybe around $5M.

Ah. Cheers.

And I'm gonna lose my avatar bet historically, so get on stand by y'all.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, police? I'd like to report a murder. Someone killed this man's taste in movies!
Murder you say? I know just who to call.
screen-shot-2017-09-21-at-9-05-21-am.png

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If WW was shit this universe would be DONE.
Well... IMO WW was mediocre at best, incredibly forgettable at worst (awesome 'stache notwithstanting). I know it's not a popular opinion, but if the best DCEU movie is like that, it helps explain the state the universe is in. Incredibly sad that we' ve come to this, as I grew up adoring these characters and all I see are disasters all around. JL deserves the box office it's getting, unfortunately.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda almost feel bad for WB since WW gave them false hope about JL.

I feel like WW being a break out hit is the worst timeline for them if not for the huge blow they would take from having to abort this. They can't just kill it and start fresh, they're forced to keep going with this shit show with the massive fucking albatross around their necks of the fucking Snyder verse poison and Justice League being a joke.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like WW being a break out hit is the worst timeline for them if not for the huge blow they would take from having to abort this. They can't just kill it and start fresh, they're forced to keep going with this shit show with the massive fucking albatross around their necks of the fucking Snyder verse poison and Justice League being a joke.

They don't have to kill anything and start fresh, and WW is the proof of that. Get good writers/directors and let them do their thing. The continuity thing is overrated. If Matt Reeves' Batman, even if it ends up starring Affleck, or if it ends up starring someone else, or if it is directly tied to JL or only loosely or not at all, looks cool and gets good reviews/buzz, it will do monster numbers. That's the lesson from this year for WB. Make good movies, the "extended universe" thing is just a cherry.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
They don't have to kill anything and start fresh, and WW is the proof of that. Get good writers/directors and let them do their thing. The continuity thing is overrated. If Matt Reeves' Batman, even if it ends up starring Affleck, or if it ends up starring someone else, or if it is directly tied to JL or only loosely or not at all, looks cool and gets good reviews/buzz, it will do monster numbers. That's the lesson from this year for WB. Make good movies, the "extended universe" thing is just a cherry.
This guy gets it.
WB, please read this post.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know? Maybe he's like one of those retired players who becomes an "Ambassador" for his old team, but he literary does nothing except have his own office, throw pencils at the ceiling, sexually harass his personal secretary, and sometimes demands more chocolate chips in the stadium Chocolate Chip Pancakes.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That speaks to my point though. WW is proof that all they need is to make good films sure, but they are still stuck dealing with a framework that is decidedly toxic to viewers. How many people in the movie going public want to see Batfleck and this Super Man, working with not breaking the gross aesthetic of the Snyderverse? It's an uphill climb with damaged goods for their two biggest heroes.

Let's be real Ben Affleck sucked in this film as Bruce Wayne and Batman. His joker? Is universally considered a waste.

WW was a prequel so it had a lot more freedom to distance itself.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That speaks to my point though. WW is proof that all they need is to make good films sure, but they are still stuck dealing with a framework that is decidedly toxic to viewers. How many people in the movie going public want to see Batfleck and this Super Man, working with not breaking the gross aesthetic of the Snyderverse? It's an uphill climb with damaged goods for their two biggest heroes.

Let's be real Ben Affleck sucked in this film as Bruce Wayne and Batman. His joker? Is universally considered a waste.

WW was a prequel so it had a lot more freedom to distance itself.

The framework isn't toxic to viewers though, the execution is. People will see Batfleck or Cavill Superman if the movie looks cool and reviews well. It's the same reason audiences still tuned in for Jackman in The Wolverine and Logan despite Origins and Last Stand being fucking dumpster fires

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framework isn't toxic to viewers though, the execution is. People will see Batfleck or Cavill Superman if the movie looks cool and reviews well. It's the same reason audiences still tuned in for Jackman in The Wolverine and Logan despite Origins and Last Stand being fucking dumpster fires

When it's to the degree of these films the framework limits the execution. We just disagree sorry. Snyders interprets these two so distinctly that they will be hamstrung to a degree moving forward.

And people LOVED Jackman in his role you can't say the same with Afleck and Cavil.

I would not want to be someone tasked with making a movie in this anemic connected universe going forward where I have to overcome the failings of what are suppose to be it's biggest tent poles.

The DCEU has the opposite effect of the MCU, that being that the MCU strengthened the films that came after.

And let's not pretend that Justice League massively underperforming likely won't hamper aquaman etc. It took tge x-men franchise a long time to come out of the darkness of the last stand, and that franchise largely ignored visual tonal consistency and continuity to do so.

Last edited:

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
When it's to the degree of these gilms the framework limits the execution. We just disagree sorry. Snyders interprets these two so distinctly that they will be hamstrung to a degree moving forward.

And people LIKED Jackman as wolverine, you can't say the same with Afleck and Cavil.

I can. Most people agree the actors are good fits, just execution that doesn't work.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
When it's to the degree of these films the framework limits the execution. We just disagree sorry. Snyders interprets these two so distinctly that they will be hamstrung to a degree moving forward.

And people LOVED Jackman in his role you can't say the same with Afleck and Cavil.

I mean, isn't one of the takeaways from a lot the reviews that the characters and character interactions are largely fine, but the editing and writing is what ruins the movie?

I also don't think the interpretation matters. Snyder is gone. Reeves can do whatever he wants with his Batman, even if it's in this universe, even if it's Batfleck, and audiences won't really care. You are overestimating this stuff. These comic book tent pole movies aren't rocket science. Audiences are just looking for a cool, fun time. If Reeves' movie is great, do you think people are going to care that his Batman is so different from Synders?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, isn't one of the takeaways from a lot the reviews that the characters and character interactions are largely fine, but the editing and writing is what ruins the movie?

I also don't think the interpretation matters. Snyder is gone. Reeves can do whatever he wants with his Batman, even if it's in this universe, even if it's Batfleck, and audiences won't really care. You are overestimating this stuff. These comic book tent pole movies aren't rocket science. Audiences are just looking for a cool, fun time. If Reeves' movie is great, do you think people are going to care that his Batman is so different from Synders?

When you say that continuity is over rated and that they can do whatever in terms of casting, places in the timeline, f they follow the X Men route of basically ignoring continuity and having films largely be non linear from one another? and that point it wont be an interconnected MCU style universe.

Which is what I mean when I say that at least if WW bombed they could kill this approach but so far save for WW being a prequel like Cap 1, everything has had been linear.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
When you say that continuity is over rated: if they follow the X Men route of basically ignoring continuity and having films largely be non linear from one another, and that point it wont be an interconnected MCU style universe.

I think that ship has sailed, I just don't think they necessarily have to blow things up and start from scratch to be successful. JL is a fucking disaster, but Aquaman could do well. WW2 could do well. Reeves' Batman could do well. These are not impossibilities despite JL being awful.

The entire trajectory of the DCEU thus far has been all over the place. BvS was awful and underperformed. SS was awful and was a hit. WW was good (I found it sort of dull and formulaic, but audiences/critics loved it) and was a massive hit. JL is awful and is going to underperform. Anything is in play.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Honestly, just give the reigns of the DCEU to Petty Jenkins. And putting the league together before actually having Aquaman/Flash movies is stupid decision.

At the same time, I also see JL get criticized for being similar to other Superhero movies by critics but it's not like Thor 3 was any different in that regards.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that is something Marvel is doing well. They are loosely connected and designed for you only having to see that series instead of everything else.

They are very connected, otherwise they wouldn't strengthen the brand and allow things like Ant Man to have succeeded how they did. Then you get the MCU event films like Avengers 1/2, and civil Civil War. They are also growing more interconnected with Marvel wanting to make it more frequent that these outings are 'team ups'. Every films has references to others or has details in it that get used elsewhere.

Tony in Spider-Man
Hulk and Doctor Strange in Thor

It's weird to say that the films aren't really connected when Marvel pioneered the interconnected cinematic universe.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
The Dark Knight is 10 years old next year?

Fuck my life I'm old

10 years ago I was shook from "...I killed those people, that's what I can be"

Time :(

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They are very connected, otherwise they wouldn't strengthen the brand and allow things like Ant Man to have succeeded how they did. They are also growing more interconnected with Marvel wanting to make it more frequent that these outings are 'team ups'.

How was Antman connected outside of the Marvel name (which, I think, does add a ton of value these days). Antman did well because it was a Marvel movie (and Marvel has built up that cache with audiences) that reviewed well, looked fun, and was marketed well. Not because it connected any dots in the overarching Marvel Universe continuity.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How was Antman connected outside of the Marvel name (which, I think, does add a ton of value these days). Antman did well because it was a Marvel movie (and Marvel has built up that cache with audiences) that reviewed well, looked fun, and was marketed well. Not because it connected any dots in the overarching Marvel Universe continuity.

You answered your own question and the bottom bit is not true.

Ant Man was very tied to the MCU. It's heavily steeped in Avengers, Shield, had a frigging Falcon fight scene with the main protagonist for crying out loud. Part of why it's marketing worked for it is because they pitched it to audiences as this fun movie that takes place under the radar of the larger MCU but was completely defined by it. Sort of like Spider-Man being contextualized as being about a small time hero who is verging on the bigger part of the MCU.

The whole reason that the Marvel Brand adds value is because the films are connected in a way that has never been done before. I feel like people are looking at the MCU now as 'normal' and turning a blind eye to how unprecedented this was at inception.

Status
Not open for further replies.