• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You answered your own question but even Ant Man was very tied to the Avengers, Shield, had a frigging Hawk Eye Cameo and so forth. The whole reason that the Marvel Brand adds value is because the films are connected in a way that has never been done before. I feel like people are looking at the MCU now as 'normal' and turning a blind eye to how unprecedented this was at inception.

Im arguing the opposite. I think what Marvel has done is unprecedented, and they deserve a ton of credit, I just don't think that's the only way to have success. Wonder Woman is proof of that.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
But who was the man who hired Snyder?

N3FBbuO.gif

Damnit leave Nolan out of this, he is innocent!

Snyder was 5th in line.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went to see Orient Express instead of Justice League because my girl won't let me support these films anymore. Didn't regret it. Hope it's successful enough so he gets to do sequels.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im arguing the opposite. I think what Marvel has done is unprecedented, and they deserve a ton of credit, I just don't think that's the only way to have success. Wonder Woman is proof of that.

It speaks to the point I made though, that you legitimately asked 'how is Ant Man connected to the MCU' when it's steeped in the MCU setting and history. MCU films gets contextualized to audiences as a part of the larger world, and are very interconnected even if a film is more stand alone.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It speaks to the point I made though, that you legitimately asked 'how is Ant Man connected to the MCU' when it's steeped in the MCU setting and history. MCU films gets contextualized to audiences as a part of the larger world, and are very interconnected even if a film is more stand alone.

That's not what I would describe as "steeped" or "very interconnected" though. There isn't much actual continuity there. Ant Man could have been someone's first ever Marvel movie and they likely still would have enjoyed it, and a cameo here or a reference there isn't going to break that experience for them. Like I said, I think it does add some value and Marvel deserves credit for that, but it wasn't what made that movie a success.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How was Antman connected outside of the Marvel name (which, I think, does add a ton of value these days). Antman did well because it was a Marvel movie (and Marvel has built up that cache with audiences) that reviewed well, looked fun, and was marketed well. Not because it connected any dots in the overarching Marvel Universe continuity.
TI obviously has boxoffice pull

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Wasn't this movie projected to have a $150-160M opening in the US just a week or two ago? $325+M opening worldwide?

The Tomatometer's influence over general audiences has become that powerful?

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I like Marvel super heroes appear interact with each other movies. Like I cant wait to see Guardians meet Tony next year.
I love wonder woman but she team up with Batman and other dont feel anything special or like an comic event for me as with heroes in MCU.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Went to see Orient Express instead of Justice League because my girl won't let me support these films anymore. Didn't regret it. Hope it's successful enough so he gets to do sequels.

It should be if Branagh wants to do more and with the tease at the end I would assume so. It's already at $110M world wide on a budget of $55M.

Also I was wondering if we might see a near 70% drop for Justice League next week. Given the meh to bad WoM and Coco opening next week it could get ugly.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It should be if Branagh wants to do more and with the tease at the end I would assume so. It's already at $110M world wide on a budget of $55M.

Also I was wondering if we might see a near 70% drop for Justice League next week. Given the meh to bad WoM and Coco opening next week it could get ugly.

JL may fail but I don't get the "because of Coco" narrative. Only knew about Coco because of this thread.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'd generally agree with Scooter. Yes, the interconnected nature helps, but making good to great films first and foremost is what matters.

The real strength of the Marvel brand is trust. When the general audience sees that Marvel logo, they can be assured that they'll at least be entertained. Sure, the films don't always mine the deepest themes. Some are clearly better than others. But if someone is putting down their $10-15 then trust helps a ton. Trust in Batman and Superman as icons drove BvS to that record opening weekend.

That said, I do think they'll replace Affleck and Cavill. Affleck because BvS and Justice League didn't do all that well and his offscreen situations aren't great. Easier to recast and give Reeves a fresh start. Likewise, the next Superman film is late 2020 at best. WB is probably looking at that and wondering if it's not better to start fresh there as well.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are safe. I think Flash might get by. Cyborg is probably going to be shoved into someone else's film.

JL may fail but I don't get the "because of Coco" narrative. Only knew about Coco because of this thread.

It's similar to Deadline positing that Wonder is eating into JL's business this week. Films get a certain amount of walk-up business—families that just come to the theater to watch something. When face with a Justice League film that they perhaps associate with the darker Batman v Superman, families are more apt to choose something like Wonder, or in a week, Coco.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Is it fair to say that "edgy"/generic superhero movies are officially burned out? Because I get the feeling that that's what's happening with JL.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

It's the only way to have a consistent success. Show me how DC or Fox or fucking anyone is going to get to 12 straight movies with 500$ mill worldwide outside of Feige's method. And the streak isn't over yet. By next year Marvel should hit 15 straight.

Its not just the Avengers 200 mill OW money these companies are looking for. They want that consistent "every single movie is a hit" money. And they can't get there because they don't have the right talent in charge.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It's the only way to have a consistent success. Show me how DC or Fox or fucking anyone is going to get to 12 straight movies with 500$ mill worldwide outside of Feige's method. And the streak isn't over yet. By next year Marvel should hit 15 straight.

Its not just the Avengers 200 mill OW money these companies are looking for. They want that consistent "every single movie is a hit" money. And they can't get there because they don't have the right talent in charge.

I mean DC's going five for five with films that'll top 600 million at the box office.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is it fair to say that "edgy"/generic superhero movies are officially burned out? Because I get the feeling that that's what's happening with JL.
Heres to hoping.

We'll probably continue to get stuff like Logan and Deadpool thats off to the side and more experimental but thankfully, I think thanks to Snyder, this will be the last time we see the overly moody and drab take on mainline hero films (by directors that seem to despise traditional superhero heroism and colorfulness) anytime soon.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I mean DC's going five for five with films that'll top 600 million at the box office.

They won't get to 12. The brand is in the toilet outside of WW.

Going further, they have 0 movies that have hit a billion. Marvel has 4. And Marvel has two more over 800 million. And two more over 700 million.

Beyond Marvel, Disney runs Lucasfilm the same way. A strong producer in charge of a consistent vision. Boom. Huge success(with hiccups, I'll grant you, but it's working).

There's two unimpeachable examples of why you need a strong producer acting as showrunner for these universes. It's how you build the brand and maintain quality across the years.

Letting directors "do their thing" will get you inconsistent product. Some highs, a lot of lows, and no brand loyalty.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Snyder being gone forever and maybe fire some producers will make the movies better.

Aquaman cast is amazing btw. I'd like DC movies to be not connected or very loosely connected from here on out. When they have solid footing, they can do team ups.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm legit shocked that this is happening. A part of me expected it to not reach the heights as OW BvS, but never in a million years did I think under 100 mil was a possibility.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Going further, they have 0 movies that have hit a billion. Marvel has 4. And Marvel has two more over 800 million. And two more over 700 million.

Beyond Marvel, Disney runs Lucasfilm the same way. A strong producer in charge of a consistent vision. Boom. Huge success(with hiccups, I'll grant you, but it's working).

There's two unimpeachable examples of why you need a strong producer acting as showrunner for these universes. It's how you build the brand and maintain quality across the years.

Letting directors "do their thing" will get you inconsistent product. Some highs, a lot of lows, and no brand loyalty.
It depends on the directors. If someone better than Snyder had been chosen to helm this thing, i dont think we'd be having this conversation.

If theyre going to give directors a couple hundred million to do their thing, they should make sure those directors are worthy of that kind of trust.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Cavill would be replaced unless he leaves, just to save face. I do think he's on Hulk schedule now (JL movies and team ups and cameos) because I honestly don't think anyone at the studio has any faith or any IDEA of what another solo Superman movie would be about. Like, you already killed the dude and resurrected him.

Affleck is well...y'know.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I would describe as "steeped" or "very interconnected" though. There isn't much actual continuity there. Ant Man could have been someone's first ever Marvel movie and they likely still would have enjoyed it, and a cameo here or a reference there isn't going to break that experience for them. Like I said, I think it does add some value and Marvel deserves credit for that, but it wasn't what made that movie a success.

We fundamentally disagree. The films are not one or the other.

The whole reason you even think that the Ant Man wasn't continuity heavy is because they present the material in a way that educates a first time viewer while getting them in on further developments when they see the next movie (like how AntMan ends teasing Avengers shenanigans and we see him in Civil War).

While some films are more steeped than others, they are all connected by how viewers can instantly contextualize them as a part of the larger world they inhabit. The films are also getting MORE steeped as we move forward as Marvel wants to frequently use more 'buddy' setups between heroes.

"There isn't much continuity there (in AntMan)"
- MCU references were used in marketing, pre-release material, and press tour
- Ant Man is based around a subplot of SHIELD building of of ties to Captain America
-
AntMan was a government project that took place during the fight against Hydra in WW1
- References the AVENGERS and SHIELD throughout the film
- Has an entire action sequence because Hank mistakenly assumes that an old Howard Stark (Captain America, SHIELD, IRON MAN 2, Agent Carter) compound would be uninhabited. It is now an Avengers compound where AntMan fights Falcon.
- Hydra is at the end of the film
- Ends the film with Falcon teasing Avengers Shenanigans
- Falcon
(Avengers, Avengers 2 and Peggy), Agent Carter (Captain America, Agent Carter TV show, Agents of Shield) are in the film. Falcon in a noted Capacity that is the tease for AntMan moving forward.

You're saying that Ant Man isn't continuity heavy because:

Ant Man could have been someone's first ever Marvel movie and they likely still would have enjoyed it, and a cameo here or a reference there isn't going to break that experience for them.

Your logic simply doesn't work because a film can be both accessible to a new viewer and dripping in MCU continuity.

Elements referenced within the MCU are mostly contextualized for the new viewer inside the film. How the films are sold to the public are based on knowledge of the MCU as a whole and how the character fits into it. Peter Parkers marketing leveraged your knowledge of the MCU to sell the concept of Peter being an up and comer by simply showing it to you. Ant Man was able to be sold so easily to viewers because all they had to do was say 'he's a thief in the MCU' and people understood what that meant.

This works because the MCU is trusted and understood by the vast majority of viewers. They both work as their own experiences AND reinforce one another by being interconnected.

If their films were just their own things then it wouldn't be an inter connected universe where Marvel could have sold Guardians of the Galaxy so well.

The MCU is now something like a 15 Billion dollar franchise. Don't focus on 'good marketing' for why MCU films succeed, because plenty of films have good marketing and fail. The MCU brand makes marketing EASY. Following a template that is consistently understood and liked by Audiences also makes the move making process easier for them. Focus on how people would have laughed in your face if you'd told them 10 years ago that Ant Man was going to be a feature film, one that audiences bought into at that.

The film itself isn't really anything special, it wasn't terribly well made or anything. It was well liked and made $519,311,965 worldwide.

Like I said, I think it does add some value and Marvel deserves credit for that, but it wasn't what made that movie a success

The MCU brand has become successful because the films have worked, but that isn't why Avengers was a smash hit that sent ripples throughout the industry. Marvel can now basically make any film they want in the MCU and provided they are generally well made, they will be a success.

The DCEU is a teetering on the edge of life support because the films suck and the foundation set by Snyder is limiting and unappealing to movie goers. You either make more clean breaks, or do a the soft reboot like First Class which hamstrings characters that come directly out of Justice League like their horrible Aquaman.

Everyone is saying that the solution fixing the DCEU is to 'just keep going and make good movies' but WB has show that they have a difficult time doing that to begin with and adhering to the Snyder Verse is going to be an impediment.

You could do a campy Shazam film in Marvel much easier than you could do one adhering to the DCEU because while the MCU can be considered a little bland, it is versatile. Snyder-Verse is very distinct which is a problem for the property. 'Oh put people like the actors' only goes so far when they've been in consistently underwhelming films playing that character.

We both agree, play fast and loose, but at that point you're pretty much ignoring the DCEU anyway. It's going to be really hard to both adhere to the DCEU while also reinventing your property enough to get away from the stink of it. WW was a prequel, and is big enough to get away with it going into WW2, but what about a title like Aquaman. Their biggest tent-pole characters are damaged save Wonder Woman.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of Justice League and I actually liked it quite a bit. Tons of issues still but I thought it was waaaaaay better than BvS. And the way it ends males me hopeful for the future of DCU in terms of plot / characters.

Now I'm a bit bummed out it's cratering so hard

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't think Cavill would be replaced unless he leaves, just to save face. I do think he's on Hulk schedule now (JL movies and team ups and cameos) because I honestly don't think anyone at the studio has any faith or any IDEA of what another solo Superman movie would be about. Like, you already killed the dude and resurrected him.

Put Supes with Shazam and Black Adam. Also would work well in a Wonder Woman movie, Patty could do great things with Superman and their dynamic.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes just checking the early estimates, sub 100m opening? What a disaster. Seems like WW success could not get people past the failures of Suicide Squad and BvS, wrong either JL's own bad RT score. It's going to take some fantastic solo films to start digging out of this ditch now. Maybe Flashpoint can reboot a few things as well.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with the bolded. I think WB should just focus on Matt Reeves Batman, Wonder Woman 2, and Flashpoint (If they want to reset some choices and change actors like Batman)

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Flashpoint happening at all

I mean, that movie would be a follow-up of sorts to JL, which will probably end up as the largest financial failure in the DCEU.

Just focus on solo flicks. WW2, Batman, Shazam, Aqua, then try the team thing again five years from now.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
We'll almost certainly get an estimate late tonight. This story holds way too many clicks for Deadline and others to wait until official estimates.

Look at the length of this thread. We're going to hit close to or over 2k posts and this isn't even Justice League's weekend thread. The same thing applies to the rest of the internet right now.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Not only that but Marvel is able to do this with B and C tiers characters.
Which then make there other IP bigger and bigger .
DC has there top IP and things still going down .

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
We'll almost certainly get an estimate late tonight. This story holds way too many clicks for Deadline and others to wait until official estimates.

Look at the length of this thread. We're going to hit close to or over 2k posts and this isn't even Justice League's weekend thread. The same thing applies to the rest of the internet right now.

The world loves watching a train wreck. Well, not paying money to see a train wreck, obviously. But we love discussing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.