• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Actually not that fussed about IO. I don't really rate them that high, mainly due to them just working on Hitman (Outside of a few other minor titles of course) Not really sure what they bring to the MS table, unlike the other studios MS has purchased. There are much more interesting and fitting studios out there.

Jan 4, 2018
Who could be the star?
Kirby Star Allies port for Xbox/Win10 confirmed
I've been thinking about Playground's new game a lot lately. I actually kind of hope that it isn't Fable. At the end of the day, I think doing something new would be much more compelling. I think that Microsoft will get its fair share of fantasy RPGs in the future from Obsidian and inXile and I'd much rather see Playground do something different. I personally feel like the Fable name doesn't really carry much weight with the average gamer, but a completely new franchise gives Playground a chance to build their own brand.
In my ideal world, Playground will make a new ARPG IP (a la Horizon:ZD, wich was supposed to be the inspiration) and the Fable remake will be handled by RARE.
Lite-ARPG with a lot of humor sprinkled with a little darkness here and there.
I think RARE would be the optimal choice (and technically it's not one of THEIR old IP hahaha)

Last edited:

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Actually not that fussed about IO. I don't really rate them that high, mainly due to them just working on Hitman (Outside of a few other minor titles of course) Not really sure what they bring to the MS table, unlike the other studios MS has purchased. There are much more interesting and fitting studios out there.

They are excellent level designers and brilliant at world building.

Would love to see what they can do with a new IP

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
In my ideal world, Playground will make a new ARPG IP (a la Horizon:ZD, wich was supposed to be the inspiration) and the Fable remake will be handled by RARE.
Lite-ARPG with a lot of humor sprinkled with a little darkness here and there.
I think RARE would be the optimal choice (and technically it's not one of THEIR old IP hahaha)

Didn't Rare take on some talent from Lionhead when they closed down? If they have ex-LH people working there, then you can't say Rare is completely unfit to be making a Fable game. And that's not even taking their Britishness into account haha.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are excellent level designers and brilliant at world building.

Would love to see what they can do with a new IP
Yes, maybe a new IP would be good for them, as long as it's not a Hitman style game. They seem great at building small arena style maps with interactive options in there, so I wonder what they will move onto next?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Regarding IOI, we have:

- Klob saying its acquisition was being considered a few months ago.
- Booty eating pancakes with the shape of IOI's logo.
- Microsoft Dev Blog post about DX12 with IOI as one of the devs/partners using the feature.
- Microsoft Denmark's article/interview with someone from IOI.

You could read a lot into it or not.

I read a lot into it :)

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Yes, maybe a new IP would be good for them, as long as it's not a Hitman style game. They seem great at building small arena style maps with interactive options in there, so I wonder what they will move onto next?

Freedom Fighters reboot is my guess. They clearly still love the IP

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Regarding IOI, we have:

- Microsoft Dev Blog post about DX12 with IOI as one of the devs/partners using the feature.

Good summary of the facts without any fables added.

We simply don't have enough information if this thing went through. We have enough indications though that something might happen.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If Perfect Dark is even happening, I'm starting to think it isn't.

Then the studio in Vancouver who Rumblebones told us about I think may be the dev

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Perfect Dark is even happening, I'm starting to think it isn't.

Then the studio in Vancouver who Rumblebones told us about I think may be the dev

Whether PD is happening or not, it could be years before it's even announced. A game like that, built from the ground up, is hardly going to take any less than 4-5 years, and we have no indication of how far along the development could be.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
That's odd, I wish I took a screenshot. Unless it was a different Mette Anderson. The page I was looking at said worked for Microsoft since November 2018 and then very little prior history. Job title was also different. Maybe it was someone else. However I did the search right after pulling her name from Io's Twitter page.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Regarding IOI, we have:

I think we can all agree that this 100% confirms IOI acquisition.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Rare making Fable would be such a waste IMO, they should really focus on making high quality polished AA games for Game Pass and leave Fable to PG.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Rare making Fable would be such a waste IMO, they should really focus on making high quality polished AA games for Game Pass and leave Fable to PG.
Fable based on the SoT engine would be amazing to see. It fits the style perfectly but I do agree that it should go to someone else. PG certainly have an ability with tech but not outside of openworld driving games.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
My list for the studios who I think MS should buy over the next years.

IOI
4A Games
Techland
Mercury Steam
Ready at Dawn
Remedy
Bearded Ladies
CDPR
Creative Assembly

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

IOI
4A Games
Techland
Mercury Steam
Ready at Dawn
Remedy
Bearded Ladies
CDPR
Creative Assembly
Iron Galaxy would be a good call also.

MS needs a team that can focus on a new KI game and push towards a massive GaaS Game Pass fighting game extravaganza!

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Fable based on the SoT engine would be amazing to see. It fits the style perfectly but I do agree that it should go to someone else. PG certainly have an ability with tech but not outside of openworld driving games.
...but it is most likely going to run on the Sea of Thieves engine.
Unreal Engine 4

The art style would certainly be a great fit for Fable IV though. With that said, I'd be happy if Playground took heavy inspiration from Fable Legends' artstyle too.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

IOI
4A Games
Techland
Mercury Steam
Ready at Dawn
Remedy
Bearded Ladies
CDPR
Creative Assembly

Although CDPR would be a massive get, it really isn't realistic. Creative Assembly would be amazing for me if they continued with Halo Wars.

Also, I'll probably get a lot of disagrees, but I'm not too interested in IOI. I've never really been a fan of their games, but I get why people love them.

Nov 23, 2018
Playground's Fable has the potential to change our vision of what a "Fable" game is. All in all, "Fable" is just a name.

After seeing all of those concept art pictures from PG's artists Klobrille posts, I hope Playground pushes the envelope and doesn't feel tied down to a certain gameplay/art design based on old games.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Playground's Fable has the potential to change our vision of what a "Fable" game is. All in all, "Fable" is just a name.

After seeing all of those concept art pictures from PG's artists Klobrille posts, I hope Playground pushes the envelope and doesn't feel tied down to a certain gameplay/art design based on old games.
The art style can be fluid. Can be semi realistic but with fantasy elements in the monsters etc. World can be as dark or twisted as they like...

... But, if the humor is lacking, then it's not really a Fable game. They really need to nail the mix of cheery and dark humor the series is known for. That's probably why PG would be perfect for it.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Personally speaking, I actually want dark and gritty Fable. I don't mind a stylistically similar artstyle, but I want some darkness to the world.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Hahaha The Pancakes. The pancakes told me so. Xbox Game Studios |OT5| When the pancakes hit Instagram, we all speculate

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Fable 3 launched in 2010 ... the only thing i want from a new fable is to keep the world and fantasyi aspect. the humor probably wont be as funny as it was 9 years ago, lets be real. so they can keep it in those older games.

but bring back the doggo as my pal i can pet, play fetch with and help me find treasure! T___T

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mind if I ask you a question?
I've never played project Gotham racing.
Can you recommend Gotham Racing 1 to 4?
And I want to buy an old console through eBay. Is this a good way?

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Not to get too off topic, but in the US it's actually down to the states to set their requirements for pay. Some mandate you need to do bi-weekly, others mandate you need to at least do bi-weekly, but can also do weekly, some monthly, etc. at a federal level they don't regulate that.

And ya, a lot of us often tend to assume that what happens to them happens to everyone, I know I'm guilty of this regional bias often haha

My entire time working at University of Chicago I was a monthly salary. They do monthly for salaried employees and every other week for hourly employees. It's weird.

Apr 6, 2018
Personally speaking, I actually want dark and gritty Fable. I don't mind a stylistically similar artstyle, but I want some darkness to the world.
to me is the opposite, they can change everything but I hope in the ip "fable" because I'm tired of gritty and dark fantasy, give me an healthy dose of high fantasy (despite that, fable had always had an hidden darkness, like Grimm's fables, covered by the humor)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's really not just a name. I will be very disappointed if the new Fable has practically nothing to do with the old games.

This is Playground's take on Fable, not Lionhead's. Also, they're not tied to the crazy ambition of Peter Molyneux so hopefully they build on what made Fable 2 great and not try and create a complete life sim again.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
This is Playground's take on Fable, not Lionhead's. Also, they're not tied to the crazy ambition of Peter Molyneux so hopefully they build on what made Fable 2 great and not try and create a complete life sim again.
Although, Playground currently has the tech and the talent to pull off the simulation elements that Lionhead in the past couldn't..

Status
Not open for further replies.