• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Random thought I had earlier, if we are getting more studios (and all the signs are that we are) what are the odds that said studio(s) use UE4?

I only ask because all the studios bought (except for PG, who might still be using it for the RPG) use UE4, and a lot of the studios that are a similar size to NT and Obsidian (Asobo, 4A, Ready at Dawn, IOI) use their own proprietary engines, I can't help but feel MS aren't interested in studios that don't use UE4 (side note Bloober used UE4 for Observer, so they'd be a candidate).

That seems like a silly and arbitrary requirement to me.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Gears POP, 500k+ downloads in its first day, Android only, should be close to 1M now.
Who would have thought? Lol.

It's funny when we're looking back at its initial announcement in where most were disregarding the potential success of a game like Gears Pop (or just any mobile game based of a console property). I'm not too sure how well Age of Empires: Castle Siege did, but i'd be curious to see them bring something like that back while the mainline Age series is back up and running. Forza Street on Android/iOS will be interesting as well :)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I can still not play it lol. Its not available here lmao.

It's not available for me (Belgium) either, but i changed my region on the Windows Store to USA and i can play it without any issues :D
Ofcourse im not sure whether i can get in trouble for changing my region in order to play this game. I think someone at Xbox said it isn't a problem, but i'm not fully sure on that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's not available for me (Belgium) either, but i changed my region on the Windows Store to USA and i can play it without any issues :D
Ofcourse im not sure whether i can get in trouble for changing my region in order to play this game. I think someone at Xbox said it isn't a problem, but i'm not fully sure on that.
Nah thats fine. Problem is that i want to play it on my phone tho.

Jan 4, 2018
Reviews are pretty good also. Its sits at a 4.2 out 5 on android store.
Even here on Era comments are positive in their majority aside from the normal concern about monetization, but since they use the "standard" for that type of games there's no outrage (although I was kinda hoping MS would try to use a more light monetization scheme than the standard to gain some PR points, but well)

It's cool seeing 7-8 full clans of people from the site (although maybe not all are, since they are set to public. But anyway I don't remember that much talk here about a mobile game (outside of Nintendo ones) so it seems to bode well

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny when we're looking back at its initial announcement in where most were disregarding the potential success of a game like Gears Pop (or just any mobile game based of a console property). I'm not too sure how well Age of Empires: Castle Siege did, but i'd be curious to see them bring something like that back while the mainline Age series is back up and running. Forza Street on Android/iOS will be interesting as well :)
I played so much Castle Seige... Really my first foray into Age

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Shareholders can look for different buyers to rise the price per share once they know there is an offer. Even one of the shareholders can make his own offer. the 21% of Remedy shares are own by Accendo Capital for example, that at the same time is formed by a group of swedish corporations. If someone, Sony or another make a serious offer a lot of people will know about it, and if another company is interested is free to make another offer. Buying a public company with a bunch of big shareholder and thousand of small investors left little room for discreetness.

Of course maybe no one will try to outbid, or interfere in the deal, but whatever try to buy Remedy if the deal is serious, other possible buyers will know.
The situation you are describing is something that is technically feasible on paper but very rarely happens in real world use. More often than not, the deal is rejected by shareholders or regulators, and the buying company either revises their tender, withdraws from negotiations, or just proceeds with a hostile takeover. If there is another bid from another company, it would only come after months of research and planning, not as some knee jerk reaction to the initial bid.

And again, I'm describing these same negotiations that take place long before an offer is proposed, with months of careful deliberation, not the reactions that take place after an offer is already put on the table. Obviously once a buying company has reached that point, they are well into advanced talks.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Random thought I had earlier, if we are getting more studios (and all the signs are that we are) what are the odds that said studio(s) use UE4?

I only ask because all the studios bought (except for PG, who might still be using it for the RPG) use UE4, and a lot of the studios that are a similar size to NT and Obsidian (Asobo, 4A, Ready at Dawn, IOI) use their own proprietary engines, I can't help but feel MS aren't interested in studios that don't use UE4 (side note Bloober used UE4 for Observer, so they'd be a candidate).
That seems like a silly and arbitrary requirement to me.

While I'm sure it's not a hard and fast requirement, it's definitely a thought that's going to cross minds when discussing an acquisition. Having studios working on the same engine makes it easier to share tech and experience, and it makes horizontal mobility easier.

Like for sure if there's a studio with a pedigree and a lot of potential that comes to Xbox about an acquisition or has a strong relationship with them, and all other aspects or the acquisition make sense, Phil isn't not going to cut a check just because they don't use Unreal.

But when they're looking at some midsized studio somewhere and weighing their options, using Unreal will definitely be a tick in the pros column.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
For real though, it's pretty damn fun. I had a horde match that lasted over 20 mins earlier today. Three waves, last wave had Raam and three Kryll swarms on the board.

Holy shit.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Gears Pop is definitely making big money. It even got me to spend a few bucks to stay competitive.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is so fucking cool

img_4089.jpg

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I have no idea. TC is trying to keep hush-hush on the campaign, so maybe the day before launch?

Damn. Are they afraid some reviewers are going to spoil the story then? How did this go for Gears 4? I don't remember, were there reviews way before launch?

Some youtubers are going to the coalition next week to record footage.

Hopefully that means a bit of campaign footage. But it's still august, doubtful probably.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Control will be an interesting study on whether platform marketing deals effect the development of games on competing platforms. Control should look and play noticeably better on Xbox One X than it does on PS4 Pro since Xbox One X is objectively more powerful, and there's the added bonus that Remedy knows the Xbox platform inside and out - given that they've been a second party developer for well over a decade prior to this release.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Control will be an interesting study on whether platform marketing deals effect the development of games on competing platforms. Control should look and play noticeably better on Xbox One X than it does on PS4 Pro since Xbox One X is objectively more powerful, and there's the added bonus that Remedy knows the Xbox platform inside and out - given that they've been a second party developer for well over a decade prior to this release.
Just look at RDR2.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
The campaign is being revealed 6th September... so, I think the embargo ends this same day since the video-reviews will need campaign footage, all along with the Ultimate Edition release as Gears 4 IIRC.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing deals is nothing to do with it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The campaign is being revealed 6th September... so, I think the embargo ends this same day since the video-reviews will need campaign footage, all along with the Ultimate Edition release as Gears 4 IIRC.

The day of the launch on GP? Well, there's goes my hope that it would be the first day or so of September. I don't understand what's the point of revealing something like that when everyone can play it. (I know, there are folks without GP).

Ah well.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Bards Tale IV out in 2 days on Xb and ps4

Wonder if it got the polish it needed but still no actual gameplay footage from console is a bit.. worrying

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Does the Game Pass mobile app show PC games yet? Or if it does is there anyway to filter?

If not I do hope that's a feature that's coming.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Watching a Jim Sterling video of Games that should have been more successful. Enslaved is in there and man I forgot what a great title that was. Great animations and visuals for the time, actually still looks decent enough and just a very enjoyable game with likeable characters.

See, that's what I hope we get to see again from Ninja Theory in the future. If we're talking AA and AAA, Enslaved surely was AAA, right?

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Game Pass mobile app show PC games yet? Or if it does is there anyway to filter?

If not I do hope that's a feature that's coming.

Yep, the beta of the mobile app added PC game support over the past week - PC and console titles now each have their own 'tabs' for listing available titles, and managing playlists etc.

Edit: quick tip! When searching for titles that are on both PC and Xbox, they'll appear twice in the search results - before hitting 'install', check that you're installing the right one! (I couldn't work out why Kingdom Come: Deliverance wasn't downloading to my console...only to find that I had inadvertently kicked off the install on my PC instead).

Status
Not open for further replies.