• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Phil announce next week?

• Everything

Votes: 264 30.7%
  • Most of it

Votes: 218 25.4%
  • Something

Votes: 199 23.2%
  • A sliver

Votes: 94 10.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Worrying console landscape if Microsoft exits. I've already been quite irked by "arrogant sony" decisions over the past number of years, and I fear that will only get worse without any competition in the higher end graphics market to keep them in check.

May 24, 2021
I hope you're all enjoying this carnage filled Sunday.

oedO9g15IzI08.webp

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
MS hardware is totally dead.

Scary part is the PS6 or PS7 is going to be insanely expensive. Zero reason not to now.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
At first glance, this feels bad since it will give less people a reason to buy an xbox. Game pass would be the only reason to own an xbox at that point, but microsoft getting multiple sources of revenue with gp and then selling copies on ps5 for $70 would probably be better than the console sales.

n0one

Jan 3, 2023
Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but acquisitions and being shameless are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honorable. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is multi-plattforming.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Indiana Jones for either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel the multiplattform-stragety or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Is this copypasta?

Oh my.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Heres the thing, even if its not THAT bad. Games release first on xbox, gamepass, etc, it just kills any faith I have in the platform for the future. 3rd party all the way and I guess I'll get the best of both worlds with playstation (losing out on my digital collection). Ugh, this sucks
Keep an Xbox for legacy access to your current library but otherwise yeah your game library getting lagged behind is not a good feeling this has happened to me over the years more then once thanks to Nintendo killing support for their previous systems.

Jul 14, 2023

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but acquisitions and being shameless are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honorable. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is multi-plattforming.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Indiana Jones for either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel the multiplattform-stragety or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Lmao

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Heres the thing, even if its not THAT bad. Games release first on xbox, gamepass, etc, it just kills any faith I have in the platform for the future. 3rd party all the way and I guess I'll get the best of both worlds with playstation (losing out on my digital collection). Ugh, this sucks
This is where I'm at. If I can get everything on a PlayStation, I won't buy an Xbox anymore. Even with a delayed release I play most games a few months late anyway. Since I'm a digital completionist, looks like I'll be buying and transferring my library to the PS ecosystem.

I hope Xbox hardware sticks around, they've been making some really nice stuff since the Xbox One S and Microsoft's approach to BC has been a lot better than Sony's.
Yeah, this is my concern. Aside from exclusives and things unavailable on current gen hardware, my western digital library is on Xbox (and portable on Steam Deck). My eastern digital library is on PS5 (and portable on Nintendo). My western library is a lot larger so I'm concerned.

sheeldz

Jun 8, 2021
This is a further attempt to shift the conversation away from which console has the best exclusives to which company offers the best value for money. Exactly where MS wants to be with Game Pass. Might also cause folks to ask why Sony doesn't do the same, why you need to buy a Playstation to play Sony games

Bingo.

Jez said something at the weekend that has stuck with me, in the context of the portable PC hardware stuff...

Valve have sneakily built the ultimate machine, by having both Xbox, PlayStation and PC games all on their system, and as such raking in that sweet sweet cut. They even have their own exclusives.

That's MS's play. That's their goal. Get that spend on their games everywhere, but asking the questions on value.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not if they stop making them, but I'm thinking ahead a few steps. I liked having a huge collection of old gen games on current hardware. I'd either save my Xbox X for posterity or start buying anything available on PS5 and transition my library.
I hope Xbox hardware sticks around, they've been making some really nice stuff since the Xbox One S and Microsoft's approach to BC has been a lot better than Sony's.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
I just need a console-like thing to play my GamePass games natively on that boots into a console mode, is around the power of Series X, has proper standby options, turns on with an Xbox controller… I think that's it.

A PC hooked up to the TV doesn't really support all of these things. The nice thing about GamePass is a lot of games are play anywhere and I can go from console to PC relatively easily. I just can't go to Steam Deck easily without streaming…
Hopefully this means we will now get game pass on steam like how ea play works.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
MS hardware is totally dead.

Scary part is the PS6 or PS7 is going to be insanely expensive. Zero reason not to now.
I mean, they still need to sell consoles to the masses. It might be a little more expensive than it would've been with Xbox as a real thread, but I doubt we'll see a $800 PS6 or anything like that.

Dec 2, 2017

Im glad someone posted it

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think that this would be amazing honestly, I have no desire to buy an Xbox, but there are definitely a good amount of games that I would buy for the PS5. Indiana Jones for one. So that right there is already money they would not have gotten from me but now potentially might.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

10/10

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Utterly wild stuff

I seriously don't know how they sustain a hardware platform with this strategy though long term but sounds like (many but not all of) MS are ok with that

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess after this gen Sony and Nintendo will be the only real players in the console space. This sucks.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
There are a lot of very absolutist, very certain takes and reactions in here.. reading threads like this back is gonna be fascinating when we actually find out what's happening

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021

I LOVE that the copy pasta is somewhat real in this case lmao

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm at. If I can get everything on a PlayStation, I won't buy an Xbox anymore. Even with a delayed release I play most games a few months late anyway. Since I'm a digital completionist, looks like I'll be buying and transferring my library to the PS ecosystem.

And if we are saying this, you god damn better believe the general consumer is. It may not be 2024, but this is literally the end of xbox. I haven;t been dooming about any of this until this latest round of rumors/leaks today. Its fucking happening.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy news, really curious how this will effect Gamepass too.

Aren't 90% of Gamepass subs from Xbox hardware?

If the reason to buy an Xbox becomes less valuable because Xbox puts their games on competitors systems, and most gamers decide to buy a PS5 and get the PS exclusives and Xbox games on top of that, wouldn't that eventually cause gamepass subs to decrease over time?

I imagine both Sony and Nintendo don't want Gamepass (at least the third party games, since it would cut into their platform third party versions), so I'm curious how this would both affect Xbox hardware sales and gamepass subs.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Somewhere out there Don Mattrick is saying to himself proudly , "I did this." And then trips and falls down some stairs.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Since no new Uncharted in sight yet, I would love The Great Circle on PS5, if true/finally confirmed.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
At this point the "Day 1 release on GamePass" isn't gonna continue, right?

If not, it would be strange if they keep that strategy but release their games on other platforms to get more money.
I'd argue that the day 1 release on Game Pass strategy will continue and Microsoft will push Xbox hardware as the "Game Pass box" and be the only console Game Pass is available.

If you have a PS5, you can still play those games but have to buy them for $70 a pop.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox HW is 105% dead in EU, it will be treated like some laserdisc player.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Worrying console landscape if Microsoft exits. I've already been quite irked by "arrogant sony" decisions over the past number of years, and I fear that will only get worse without any competition in the higher end graphics market to keep them in check.
MS being significantly behind and tried to double the price of XBL Gold, gift cards printed for retailers and everything.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
RIP Xbox as hardware, I'm sure MS will say they'll keep making consoles, and maybe they even truly believe it, but the market will definitely won't be buying a console just for gamepass, I even think gamepass will stop being a thing in the next 7 years, is a business that can't grow if your console business doesn't grow and Sony/Nintendo are not about to give them the space to grow. It was nice to meet you Xbox consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.