• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Phil announce next week?

• Everything

Votes: 264 30.7%
  • Most of it

Votes: 218 25.4%
  • Something

Votes: 199 23.2%
  • A sliver

Votes: 94 10.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
For many weeks now, rumours have persisted regarding Microsoft's intentions to release a number of 1st party games – namely Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves – on rival platforms. According to our sources, who have asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorised to talk about company plans, that list of games also includes Bethesda Game Studio's Starfield.

Starfield released back in August of 2023 to fairly positive reception (despite the narrative that now exists online), and was the biggest Bethesda game launch of all time, surpassing 6 million players within a week of release.

Now it looks as though Microsoft are planning on bringing Betheda's newest RPG universe to an entirely new platform – PlayStation 5.

According to sources, we understand that currently Microsoft are planning a launch for Starfield on PlayStation 5 post the release of the already announced "Shattered Space" expansion for Xbox and PC, which is on target to arrive at some point later this year. We've also been informed that Microsoft have made additional investment into PlayStation 5 dev kits to support ongoing development efforts – adding further fuel to the fire.

As the already existing rumours have suggested, the idea of bringing 1st party titles to competing console platforms marks a massive change in strategy for Microsoft and from what I understand, it's not been without fierce internal debate on this new direction. Releasing Starfield on PlayStation 5 contradicts the original statement around exclusivity made by President of Xbox Sarah Bond, during the Xbox and Bethesda Games Studios summer showcase of 2021.

According to our sources, Microsoft senior leadership have reportedly debated the various pros and cons of releasing more of their exclusive software elsewhere, and internally, not everyone is necessarily happy with the decision, but recouping the potential money "left on the table" by not releasing elsewhere has arguably won out.

According to sources, Hi-Fi Rush's release on rival platforms is tentatively planned for Q1 this year, and we've been advised to expect Microsoft to make a more public announcement on this new strategy this month.

xboxera.com

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

For many weeks now, rumours have persisted regarding Microsoft’s intentions to release a number of 1st party games – namely Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think Starfield was their "test" and it underperformed whatever metrics they had

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
its joever

hi-fi rush launching in q1 as well

my brother will be happy with this, he was sad that microsoft bought bethesda

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Real leaks about new devkits from Playstation that are worked on would be something for a change.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly at this point, someone at Xbox needs to come out and deny everything. This is getting out of Hand, especially if it's not true

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
GettyImages-150092234%20copy%202.jpeg

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Umm… holy shit.

And yea, that affirms what I've been saying, media has likely already been briefed of MS's announcement.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Game dev is so expensive, and they have so many big studios now. It makes sense from a business/Microsoft perspective.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.
They are overturning Spencer's executive orders 💀 Holy fucking shit.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
This is fucking insane, all the years of discourse from the initial Bethesda buyout about the ambiguity of exclusivity has now led to this moment.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Until SF is specifically corroborated I'm not putting that much faith in it. Seems like it's definitely on the table but could also be jumping on the rumor bandwagon. It feels somewhat likely to happen now… but need someone else to confirm.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe this, starting to feel like people are truly running away with that credible but smaller-scoped rumor.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I really made a mistake to switch back to Xbox in late 2018 due to BC and their new RPG focus.

Happy for PS folks to play the game. Gutted for my money I should have spent elsewhere and my game progress I can't transfer back over.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
also all those months of people spamming questions about starfield exclusivity, for it to only end up exclusive for probably less that a year...

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
it seems like a real lack of respect for Xbox players. I wonder how many would have bought the console knowing what awaited them.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I will totally support whatever awesome games Microsoft brings to the Switch 2. This is only the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.