• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats... debatable, we have no idea how much the first Xenoblade sold, as in the region it sold the most in, gamestop fudged the shipment numbers after the first shipment so they could sell 'used' games at 90 dollars a pop instead of new games at 60. The game was so hard to find, and thought for so long to not even be coming stateside, it's piracy rate of well over a million puts it in the category of one of the most pirated games of all time, at a quarter of modern warfare 2 at the top of the list, which sits at 4 million. Anyone want to compare popularity levels behind one of the biggest call of dutys and a Japanese rpg on 'The fucking two gamecube duct taped together' system?

As for the sales, Whether or not that is actually impressive depends on what the numbers are.

A game that sells 10 copies sold 10x more than it's predecessor that only sold one, but that' not really worth much.

Of course there isn't a single person at Nintendo who has any idea what Xonoblade could be selling.

There wasnt a single person working at Nintendo who had any idea what xenoblade was, what they had, or who expected Xenoblade to ever sell period with the first game.

It's almost like we had to have an entire campaign calling Nintendo out on their clueless out of touch shit to even get the game, And Nintendo being complete fuckups left money all over the table.

It's hilarious that the whole reason anyone, ANYONE in na can even be a fan of xenoblade in the first place is because of people not being corporate worshippers, and pointing out Nintendo dropped the ball....

And then you look at this.

Nintendo just xenobladed again.

Ummm...... the number of piracy happening does not equal the number of Software sales lost there. It just does not work like that. Those pirates simply won't buy the game there.

Again, Selling roughly 31% more based on what we know from previous Xenoblade number is not bad at all. It is a significant rise. The fact that now Xeno 2 had even beat all Xeno series previous numbers mean that this is indeed a breakout hit. No one in their right mind would thought that Xenoblade can sold 2-3 million in less than a year especially when histories had showed that Xenoblade is niche title still searching for it breakthrough hits. And this time, it seems to have found it.

I am actually getting lost on what the hell u wanted to said there lol.

I wouldn't call XCX bad. Severely flawed? Yes.

Hopefully the Switch port fixes some of its issues.
One can hope for the inclusion of a cellphone feature, or whatever they would call it on Mira to call party members up to add them to your party whenever, wherever!

I love the game to bits, but manually going to their fixed locations each and every time is not what one might consider the beacon of intuitiveness.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly 31% above is the minimum with what we know and it's probably above 40% higher, could even be around 50% higher though that might be a stretch
I don't think XBX did much better than 500-600k, right? Based on what we know plus the thing with the first boss and how many people have beaten it online.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that was bad was the main quest and the small text size. Other than that the rest was great.

Glad about the sales for Xenoblade 2 though. Well deserved.
Well the main quest is kind of important for an rpg. And the systems were waaaaay more complicated than in XB2 so I think if it does get ported there will be a lot of disappointed people who really enjoyed XB2 (like myself).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think XBX did much better than 500-600k, right? Based on what we know plus the thing with the first boss and how many people have beaten it online.
It did over 200k retail it's first NPD and fairly in line with the other games in Japan. I'd guess more like 700-800k tbh.

Or at least port the original game so it dosent look and run like crap. That game while good is hard to go back to now.
Yes. It's one of the Wii games that could most benefit from an HD remaster.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it can make it to 2m?
Perhaps if Nintendo does a complete edition, or a Nintendo selects line with it in somewhere down the line. It'll probably flatline before then otherwise.

As for xenoblade X... I think the best argument against a switch port is it's so different to both 1/2 in a lot of ways, that I wouldn't be sure it would appeal to those who liked 2, and you wouldn't want to accidentally kill the series momentum (not that X did that the first time, so it might be pointless worry on my part).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Next up should be a mobile game that grows the brand further. The systems they put in place already fits well with the mobile scene so Im pretty sure that the next entry will be on mobiles.

ShinRPGamer

Nov 4, 2017
While I have my gripes with the game (characters designs are really inconsistent, world exploring is weaker than in XB1 and even XCX, the summon blade system being cack) its still a really solid game with deserved sales. Will be interesting to see where Monolith goes forward with this series.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next up should be a mobile game that grows the brand further. The systems they put in place already fits well with the mobile scene so Im pretty sure that the next entry will be on mobiles.
Didn't we hear that Nintendo had plans for mobile games of multiple RPGs (they did count Zelda as an rpg though for this). Fire emblem already has a mobile game so I feel like one of them has to be xenoblade

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Delighted to see it pass this milestone. 2m does seem unlikely to me, but 1.5m would be an incredible accomplishment and seems very doable.

Excited to jump back in tomorrow and get the new blades. :)

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Can you provide an actual source on those piracy numbers because i've Heard similar before and never found a goddamn thing on how much it was pirated and the numbers in general seem suspect due to the specs needed for dolphin emulation

Yeah, it's ls tough to find, because a lot of the original source links you can find in the articles leading up to the na launch, and in the months after for xenoblade are dead now. Even the articles on it, like igns link to a 404 now.

The only one that's left that I can find is the torrent freak 2011 tracker, showing xenoblade debut into the world of the pirate king at about just under 1 million in December of 2011.

https://torrentfreak.com/?s=Xenoblade

Anything xenoblade specific, has just gone down over the years, and links to the pages now 404. Maybe someone good with archive pages or something can find them. It's beyond my skill set in this regaurd.

But you don't Really need anything more, the original debut of 1 million makes the point quite succinctly.

There is confusion beyond that, because people brought up all the unreachable torrent sites that don't provide numbers, with some estimates being twice as high or more. Well, sure, it's conceivably possible, but that also applies to every other game, and it' also conceivably possible the most pirated game of all time isn't even on any list. But you can only work with what you got. But again, even if the number ended up at 2 million (And the highest I saw was 1.2) the initial 2011 amount 6 months before the na release, is more than enough to get the point of the games handling problems across.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am truly shocked that the first Xenoblade game to be released on a relevant console without any ridiculous release date/territory issues is the best-selling entry in the series. Truly shocked am I.

Hopefully Nintendo realizes that the game did well because they released it at the right time and on the right console, not because it went out of its way to pander otaku.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I am truly shocked that the first Xenoblade game to be released on a relevant console without any ridiculous release date/territory issues is the best-selling entry in the series. Truly shocked am I.

Hopefully Nintendo realizes that the game did well because they released it at the right time and on the right console, not because it went out of its way to pander otaku.
I mean, this also includes Xenogears and Xenosaga 1-3.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

but, it bested even old Xeno games so the "pandering to otaku" worked

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sure the reason why Fire Emblem Awakening sold its best also too is also because it had tons of waifu. Not because it had better gameplay, tons of improvement from its previous release and much more likeable artstyles. Yup. Not those things sure.

Whats with all these Salt?O_O

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears
Release date: February 1998
Copies sold: 1.19 million as of March 2003

Xenosaga Episode I
Release date: February 2002
Copies sold: Over 1 million as of July 2003

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Release date: December 2017 (WW)
Copies sold: 1.3 million as of March 2017

Hmmmm... Xenoblade 2 is far more impressive in this age than what Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I did in their respective time periods.

Gears and Saga didn't release in a region. And Blade 1 was a gamestop exclusive. Blade 2 is like the only Xeno game that did not suffer from distribution issues. (I'm ignoring XCX, because it was on the wiiu) That said, it doesn't take away the fact that it is a well received game. While not my thing, loads of people enjoyed it.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The game did well because they made a good game. The waifu stuff might have a small effect on sales but I'm 100% sure not even MonolithSoft would think that to be the cause of success.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Well Right time and Right console is just part of it.

It's also a good game. Wouldn't continue to sell if it was bad/poor word of mouth.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't actually know since I didn't really start till January after the first patch, but honestly I didn't feel like my experience was bad or anything. The resolution is sub-native, yes, and there are a few places where the framerate dips, but the experience never felt bad to me (it was never unplayable), or like my experience was negatively compromised. It's totally fine.

Like when people say something is bad, it always has to be the worst when they experience it, and that's definitely not the case here. Surely the sales speak for themselves, heh. I think if the portable mode was actually as bad as some made it out to be, it wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Also you're welcome!

I don't mind being sub-native, I just don't want to be unable to see where I'm going or what I'm fighting lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This forum is the only place I find fixated on the character designs. Pretty much no one I know who played it in real life or really any other place do I find this the focal point of discussion.

Like I don't think anyone cares whether they do or do not get rid of the waifus. That's why this discussion baffles me.

ShinRPGamer

Nov 4, 2017
This forum is the only place I find fixated on the character designs. Pretty much no one I know who played it in real life or really any other place do I find this the focal point of discussion.

Like I don't think anyone cares whether they do or do not get rid of the waifus. That's why this discussion baffles me.

Nah, I've seen conversations about the designs (mostly Pyra and Rex) being the focus on other places such as several discords I'm in. This isn't exclusively an ERA thing.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Xenosaga 2 came out in Europe.

Sure but well the first didn't and the third didn't. They put out a direct sequel to a game that never released. That shit was not going to sell. That's ignoring troubled development of the game.

No ones taking away the achievement of what Blade 2, however all of the previous games were hampered by something

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but well the first didn't and the third didn't. They put out a direct sequel to a game that never released. That shit was not going to sell. That's ignoring troubled development of the game.

No ones taking away the achievement of what Blade 2, however all of the previous games were hampered by something
I mean, yes, but also, it's not true to say that Xenosaga didn't have a second release.

And actually, people are taking away the achievement of what Blade 2 did. You can simultaneously think that the series has been hampered a lot but its release schedule and that Blade 2 did very well. That's not what some posters seem to be implying, and it's a bit frustrating to see, because the game did well on its own merits.

Just Xenosaga 2. The middle (and least beloved, no less) installment of a series heavily built around plot continuity. There was no way it was going to do well without the context provided by its predecessor.

The gulf really isn't that wide.

Okay, but that's not what you said.

And eventually, it probably won't matter that XG and XS1 and 3 weren't released in Europe because XB2 will probably still sell better than those three games plus a hypothetical PAL release.

Status
Not open for further replies.