What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
2017 up front had a mixed reception, because during the January presentation several games looked questionable(Odyssey, Xenoblade), people complained that Splatoon looked more like an expansion, and the lineup was WiiU port heavy. That was problematic considering how dire the software situation had been for Nintendo in the year or two prior. As the year progressed it was more well received because all of the new games delivered/over-delivered, some of the ports were welcome additions, and more things were announced.

In hindsight though it looks particularly good because subsequent years, which had seemed more promising than 2017 due to hardware/software consolidation, ended up not matching 2017 1st party wise.
From what I recall. The 2017 presentation was very positive on Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 was still positive but they said 2017 so many didn't believe themlol.

the biggest kicker was that everyone was believing a bunch of fakes leaks for games that didn't exist and a price of 250 that wasn't the actual price of the switch. Then Nintendo starting the presentation with ARMS and 1-2 Switch was enough to convince a large portion of the crowed to think Nintendo was going "causal"

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020

Some good Donkey Kong analysis in this discussion. They talk about how Nintendo has used the franchise since Tropical Freeze and how it connects to the rumored new game.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My hot take on Smash Kart is that it'll never happen because it'll devalue how big of a deal Smash Bros. is

It's the only Nintendo franchise where all of their IPs crossover and it feels like a huge event because of it. Having two ongoing series where that's a thing would make each new release feel like less of a big deal.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting how confident Andre seems in us seeing Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 8 dlc. I still say Nate was a little odd in the Metroid discussion how he would mention "you know they never celebrate Metroid anniversary". Just the way he came off made it suspicious like we're getting more Metroid than we think.

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
Alright, since I don't think I'll have time to do this at any other point, I'm gonna put out some E3 predictions based on stuff we've seen discussed here recently and some stuff I'd like. I'll just list what I think we will and won't see. I sure can't wait to be wrong about most of these, let's go.

• Breath of the Wild 2: Yes (90%, I just think the time is right)
  • Skyward Sword HD: Yes (100%, they have to promote it. I'd hope to see something to make it stand out from the original release)
  • TP+WW HD: Maybe (40%, I'm not sure if they wouldn't wait a little longer)
  • Pokémon (Legends and BDSP): Yes (90%, they'd show it either way, but without a Pokémon Presents it feels even more likely)
  • 2D Metroid: Yes (90%, just based on Nate's confidence in it)
  • Metroid Prime 4: Yes (70%, I think at least a small update would make sense)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: Unlikely (30%, I think we may wait a little longer)
  • New Donkey Kong: Yes (70%, it kind of just feels plausible and t's be cool to see, even though I have no attachment to the franchise)
  • New Kirby: Maybe (50%, it doesn't really feel that right to me, but with the teasers we've seen, there's reason to believe it).
  • Splatoon 3: Unlikely (25%, I think we see it in September or so).
  • Fire Emblem: No (20%. I have no interest in the franchise so I may be biased, but it doesn't feel like it's time yet)
  • Bayonetta 3: Maybe (50%. It's long overdue but somehow I could see a longer wait still. I'd love to see it though)
  • Mario Kart 9: No (10%. Sales aren't just high for MK8DX, they've been on an upward trend, and it makes little sense to cut that off. However, Nintendo may be seeing that some of that was boosted by the pandemic and the curve may be turning the other way. Could be smart to pre-empt that.)
  • New platforms for NSO: No (10%. Hard to explain but I don't see it)
  • Switch Pro: No (0%. It was always going to be before or after E3 and it's been apparent for a while that it'll be after. Never during E3)
  • Mario + Rabbids 2: Yes (90%, just based on everything being said recently. Isn't it almost confirmed at this point?)
  • New 2D Mario: No (5%, I'm just trying to will this into existence because I really want to see a potential new direction that's different from NSMB)
  • Mario Golf Speed Rush: Yes (100%, it's right before it releases and they'll have at least one more trailer just to remind us it's coming)
  • Some kind of surprise: Likely (60%, there's rarely a Direct without one, though with so much discussion we've had, it's hard for there to be anything we haven't covered).

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
From what I recall. The 2017 presentation was very positive on Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 was still positive but they said 2017 so many didn't believe themlol.

the biggest kicker was that everyone was believing a bunch of fakes leaks for games that didn't exist and a price of 250 that wasn't the actual price of the switch. Then Nintendo starting the presentation with ARMS and 1-2 Switch was enough to convince a large portion of the crowed to think Nintendo was going "causal"
Yeah it's funny, I was super disconnected from the online gaming discourse back then, and the Switch presentation was one of the first big Nintendo things I had watched in ages. I knew absolutely nothing going into it, and hadn't heard a single rumor about anything. And I absolutely loved it, it's still probably my favorite Nintendo show I can remember.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If Metroid Prime 4 is at this E3, I think it will be after the Metroid V announcement. It will be quick 30 second teaser to reveal a release year of 2022.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Fun fact: Breath of the Wild was officially announced on June 10th, 2014 (then Zelda Wii U), it got a full reveal on June 14th, 2016 with a confirmed name, that's two year and 4 days apart.

Breath of the Wild 2 was officially announced on June 11th, 2019 and on June 15th, 2021 it will be two years and 4 days apart from each other.

:)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Interesting how confident Andre seems in us seeing Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 8 dlc. I still say Nate was a little odd in the Metroid discussion how he would mention "you know they never celebrate Metroid anniversary". Just the way he came off made it suspicious like we're getting more Metroid than we think.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC would be a fun ending to the Next Mario Kart speculation saga. Again, for me it all comes down to the significance of that MK8DX-to-Tour connectivity; when we see the extent of that it should become clear if a new Mario Kart is coming soon or not.

I don't know about Prime 4 though. Not even a teaser feels likely to me; just a brief mention following Metroid 5's reveal; "we're working hard on it! stay tunned!" and such.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

There were a fair amount of negative comments pointed at Odyssey because of New Donk City, similarly some aspects of Xenoblade 2 were knocked. Good point about the rumors too though, a lot of people got wrecked back then.

May 21, 2021
If Halo does come to Switch, would folks be okay not getting the entire collection in one release? I'd prefer to get complete physical copies of the games and not digital only or just stubs that need massive supplemental downloads, but divvying the collection into multiple releases would raise the MSRP well beyond the Xbox and PC counterparts. Just how much space does the entire collection occupy, multiplayer included? Would you be okay with getting the single player campaigns on the game card while having to download the multiplayer?

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Hypothetical but if Mario Kart 9 was announced at E3 as the big holiday for this year, a giant portion of Era would complain and say it's not good enough to carry Nintendo through the holidays. It would then proceed to outsell all of Sony's and Microsoft's published games release this year combined...by a large margin.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
It might be a mobile thing or a dark theme thing - I don't know how to share screenshots but for me it just reads normally. The issue is you've tried to get cute and hide the text some other way, rather than using spoiler tags like everyone else.
I think the problem is on your end.

edit: sorry, just saw you apologized.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Halo does come to Switch, would folks be okay not getting the entire collection in one release? I'd prefer to get complete physical copies of the games and not digital only or just stubs that need massive supplemental downloads, but divvying the collection into two or three releases would raise the MSRP beyond the Xbox and PC counterparts. Just how much space does the entire collection occupy, multiplayer included? Would you be okay with getting the single player campaigns on the game card while having to download the multiplayer?

The MCC is like 125gb for all the games on pc. If it comes to switch , I can't even begin to imagine it not requiring additional downloads for games, even if they split them in to multiple carts.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Could you imagine if Nintendo did the impossible and ported over BS Zelda and BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablet?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the MCC is coming to Switch. Like someone said, it's over 100 gb. It's already out on Xbox and PC and Microsoft is continuously updating it. It just seems too unwieldy to bring to the Switch. There would be need to significant cutbacks and if there are too many, then what's the point to bringing it over?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think the MCC is coming to Switch. Like someone said, it's over 100 gb. It's already out on Xbox and PC and Microsoft is continuously updating it. It just seems too unwieldy to bring to the Switch. There would be need to significant cutbacks and if there are too many, then what's the point to bringing it over?

They could do single releases, Halo 1 first and then slowly release the next entries.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on what's shown (or leaked) tomorrow, we'll probably hit the new limit by early next week.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, there was a time I thought it would come to the Switch when I let the hype and hope cloud my vision. But they'd have to do so much more work than it's worth to port it to the Switch…

No if they bring Xcloud to the Switch, then yeah of course it would get MCC, that's a huge IF.

May 21, 2021
Looking at the games on Steam, here's the sizes for each:

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 7.44 GB
Halo 2: Anniversary - 28.76 GB
Halo 3 - 8.09 GB
Halo 3: ODST - 8.9 GB
Halo 4 - 22.76 GB
Halo: Reach - 13.16 GB

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...witch_version_was_born_out_of_a_happy_mistake

054aacdc58637ba6c14657a1480b4c85.jpg

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Next 12 months are going to be nuts if Splatoon 3 is indeed H1 2022. Lots of big games should fall into that window.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
They could do single releases, Halo 1 first and then slowly release the next entries.

It took Microsoft quite a while to bring over all of the games to PC doing them one by one. Even then, you'd still have to make serious compromises, especially for Halo 2 Anniversary. Microsoft is finally at a point where they have both Xbox and PC versions fully up and running with updates still coming. They would need to devote additional resources to creating Switch versions of each game and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort at this point.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could you imagine if Nintendo did the impossible and ported over BS Zelda and BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablet?

I think that hardly anyone at the company remembers the Sattellaview. Other than the costume in Oddessy (which is the type of deep cut they should do more in the series), of course.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Lol, I love how this site is more confident that Metroid V not only exists, but will be revealed this E3 and released soon than it is in Metroid Prime 4 being shown or mentioned at all. I'm not saying Metroid V doesn't exist, I just think it's funny, especially considering the fact that the game hasn't even been stated to exist in any form

Reeyah-zoorah

Jun 1, 2021
Fun fact: Breath of the Wild was officially announced on June 10th, 2014 (then Zelda Wii U), it got a full reveal on June 14th, 2016 with a confirmed name, that's two year and 4 days apart.

Breath of the Wild 2 was officially announced on June 11th, 2019 and on June 15th, 2021 it will be two years and 4 days apart from each other.

:)

Ooooooooh

I like your way of thinkinggggg ;D

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I love how this site is more confident that Metroid V not only exists, but will be revealed this E3 and released soon than it is in Metroid Prime 4 being shown or mentioned at all. I'm not saying Metroid V doesn't exist, I just think it's funny, especially considering the fact that the game hasn't even been stated to exist in any form
It is funny, but makes sense when you consider the last announcement of prime 4 basically amounted to "you're gonna see it way way later than you think you will"

Just still doesn't feel right yet.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
It is funny, but makes sense when you consider the last announcement of prime 4 basically amounted to "you're gonna see it way way later than you think you will"

Just still doesn't feel right yet.
It may make sense that Prime 4 has a low chance of being at E3. I can definitely see that. What doesn't make as much sense to me is the absolute confidence everyone here has that Metroid V is not only real, but will be shown and released soon. We have no official word on it. Trust me, I hope it's right, but it's weird to see such confidence about it

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC would be a fun ending to the Next Mario Kart speculation saga. Again, for me it all comes down to the significance of that MK8DX-to-Tour connectivity; when we see the extent of that it should become clear if a new Mario Kart is coming soon or not.

I don't know about Prime 4 though. Not even a teaser feels likely to me; just a brief mention following Metroid 5's reveal; "we're working hard on it! stay tunned!" and such.
I don't think we'll see Prime 4 at all, but I would love to be wrong.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Tbh nintendo can approach the whole prime 4, metroid V, MPT debacle in multiple ways. Personally I think its going to be MPT HD at e3, metroid 5 in the September direct, prime 4 at the VGAs but who knows.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Even if there weren't any Metroid V or 2D Metroid rumors, I would still feel confident about a 2D Metroid game appearing on Switch regardless. I feel like it was given considering the extra ending to Samus Returns. And both the Prime 4 and Samus Returns announcements made it clear Nintendo was ready to get back to working on the series after a hiatus.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It may make sense that Prime 4 has a low chance of being at E3. I can definitely see that. What doesn't make as much sense to me is the absolute confidence everyone here has that Metroid V is not only real, but will be shown and released soon. We have no official word on it. Trust me, I hope it's right, but it's weird to see such confidence about it
Eh, it's not like it's random speculation. It's from people we trust who have been right tons of times before, and they seem to be extremely confident in it.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

idk what's weird about it. They announce and release games in a short period all the time

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Tbh nintendo can approach the whole prime 4, metroid V, MPT debacle in multiple ways. Personally I think its going to be MPT HD at e3, metroid 5 in the September direct, prime 4 at the VGAs but who knows.
I would love them all, but I'm more concerned that only Prime 4 may exist. We've been told Prime Trilogy is coming anytime now for two years, and I don't want the same to be true of Metroid V, but who knows

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I would love them all, but I'm more concerned that only Prime 4 may exist. We've been told Prime Trilogy is coming anytime now for two years, and I don't want the same to be true of Metroid V, but who knows
I can't accept a world where MPT HD doesn't exist among all the other switch ports nintendo has done. Metroid 5 I'm less sure of but it doesn't seem like mercurysteam is doing anything else stm

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Alright, since I don't think I'll have time to do this at any other point, I'm gonna put out some E3 predictions based on stuff we've seen discussed here recently and some stuff I'd like. I'll just list what I think we will and won't see. I sure can't wait to be wrong about most of these, let's go.

• Breath of the Wild 2: Yes (90%, I just think the time is right)
  • Skyward Sword HD: Yes (100%, they have to promote it. I'd hope to see something to make it stand out from the original release)
  • TP+WW HD: Maybe (40%, I'm not sure if they wouldn't wait a little longer)
  • Pokémon (Legends and BDSP): Yes (90%, they'd show it either way, but without a Pokémon Presents it feels even more likely)
  • 2D Metroid: Yes (90%, just based on Nate's confidence in it)
  • Metroid Prime 4: Yes (70%, I think at least a small update would make sense)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: Unlikely (30%, I think we may wait a little longer)
  • New Donkey Kong: Yes (70%, it kind of just feels plausible and t's be cool to see, even though I have no attachment to the franchise)
  • New Kirby: Maybe (50%, it doesn't really feel that right to me, but with the teasers we've seen, there's reason to believe it).
  • Splatoon 3: Unlikely (25%, I think we see it in September or so).
  • Fire Emblem: No (20%. I have no interest in the franchise so I may be biased, but it doesn't feel like it's time yet)
  • Bayonetta 3: Maybe (50%. It's long overdue but somehow I could see a longer wait still. I'd love to see it though)
  • Mario Kart 9: No (10%. Sales aren't just high for MK8DX, they've been on an upward trend, and it makes little sense to cut that off. However, Nintendo may be seeing that some of that was boosted by the pandemic and the curve may be turning the other way. Could be smart to pre-empt that.)
  • New platforms for NSO: No (10%. Hard to explain but I don't see it)
  • Switch Pro: No (0%. It was always going to be before or after E3 and it's been apparent for a while that it'll be after. Never during E3)
  • Mario + Rabbids 2: Yes (90%, just based on everything being said recently. Isn't it almost confirmed at this point?)
  • New 2D Mario: No (5%, I'm just trying to will this into existence because I really want to see a potential new direction that's different from NSMB)
  • Mario Golf Speed Rush: Yes (100%, it's right before it releases and they'll have at least one more trailer just to remind us it's coming)
  • Some kind of surprise: Likely (60%, there's rarely a Direct without one, though with so much discussion we've had, it's hard for there to be anything we haven't covered).
You missed monolith soft's game

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
idk what's weird about it. They announce and release games in a short period all the time
Because everyone just decided that it was real out of the blue. I guess Emily said it was real, but even as credible as she may be, no one has a perfect track record, and that is especially true of Metroid for some reason. I guess all I'm trying to say is that while I would probably still lean on the side of it being real, we shouldn't expect it to exist and release just because of that

Status
Not open for further replies.