• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You put high hopes in patches to improve the performance of old games to the company that sells Pikmin 3 and Skyward Sword without hardly touching them.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
The first Mario + Rabbids was revealed in June 2017 and released just 2 months later. I'm fairly confident that it'll be similar with this one.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
While Immortals' opening area/hour is fun gameplay wise, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of performance. Like, holy shit, this is running sub 30 fps basically all the time. And you can definitely tell by eye already.
I wonder if I should just wait for the Pro to play it, should push it to the desired stable 30 at least, even without a patch. (I don't believe it's unlocked?! Else 60 might even be possible, I guess)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You put high hopes in patches to improve the performance of old games to the company that sells Pikmin 3 and Skyward Sword without hardly touching them.
That's unfair for both games tbh.

Pikmin 3 DX had two addition story segments + a new control scheme + co-op.

Skyward Sword is HD (obviously), was pushed from 30fps to 60fps and had a total rework of its controls.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Definitive Edition - I think we can again all agree the resolutions and framerates are much to be desired on these games and I think even without DLSS getting a resolution boost for handheld mode in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is much to be desired.
As someone with a modded Switch, I can assure you that yes, the Xenoblades go from ugh to gorgeous on the Switch screen simply by running in the docked profile. They're very nice at native res.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I can't roll my eyes hard enough when I hear they won't go much into Zelda games because they don't want to take away from SSHD's sales.
Nintendo can't talk about Zelda without overshadowing Zelda, and they don't want to overshadow Zelda, so really they won't talk about Zelda of any kind.

(Or they'll just talk about Zelda idk I don't make E3)

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
First Record Store Day drop of the year is today. My insane ass set an alarm for 6am, and here I am awake at 4:15 and catching up on this thread because I can't go back to sleep 🙃 At least some retail therapy will be a nice distraction.

If Halo does come to Switch, would folks be okay not getting the entire collection in one release? I'd prefer to get complete physical copies of the games and not digital only or just stubs that need massive supplemental downloads, but divvying the collection into multiple releases would raise the MSRP well beyond the Xbox and PC counterparts. Just how much space does the entire collection occupy, multiplayer included? Would you be okay with getting the single player campaigns on the game card while having to download the multiplayer?
It took Microsoft quite a while to bring over all of the games to PC doing them one by one. Even then, you'd still have to make serious compromises, especially for Halo 2 Anniversary. Microsoft is finally at a point where they have both Xbox and PC versions fully up and running with updates still coming. They would need to devote additional resources to creating Switch versions of each game and I'm not sure if it's worth the effort at this point.

I didn't think I'd have my hopes dashed as quickly as they were seeing the file sizes for the Halo games. I mean, I could at least see the first game come over with compromises...but shit Nintendo, where are the 64GB cartridges? Honestly even if devs were better about optimization and compression specifically for Switch, 125GB with reduced texture quality and longer load times just would not fit onto a 32GB cartridge with 'additional downloads required'.

Place your hopes and bets:

If the New Switch is coming this year, and the specs are what's currently expected in the Future Nintendo Tech Speculation thread is correct.

By the end of this year, what current Switch games will get a DLSS patch for the New Switch?

- Breath of the Wild without a doubt, I think with the current speculation going on we could even see a 60fps patch or performance mode, and at bare minimum a 4K quality mode with HDR implementation
- Age of Calamity - I think everyone agrees this deserves not only a stable framerate at a solid 60fps rather than a wobbly 30fps dropping into the teens.
- Mario Kart 8 - It's popular and already 1080/60, this could as is already use DLSS to be 4k/60
- Smash Bros - Again it's already hitting 1080/60 on the Switch, no reason it can't hit 4K/60, and it's obviously popular enough to warrant the implementation into the engine
- Yoshi's Crafted World - this is my wild card. I'm unsure if the game did well enough to warrant it, but since it's Unreal Engine I think it'd be quick to implement so it wouldn't cost much to do so, and I think the game deserves to be 4K/60 because visually it's gorgeous, despite some people not liking how easy going the game is regarding difficulty
- Luigi's Mansion 3 - not only is this a visual showcase for Nintendo and the capabilities of good digital craftsmanship on a low spec console, I think it's popular enough to warrant it, and this game deserves to be 4K/60fps, again something I believe the new Switch with DLSS would be capable of.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Definitive Edition - I think we can again all agree the resolutions and framerates are much to be desired on these games and I think even without DLSS getting a resolution boost for handheld mode in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is much to be desired.
- Witcher 3 - I'd love to see both a performance mode and a quality mode. With a jailbroken Switch you can get the game almost hitting 60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if Saber did a quality and performance patch
- Doom, Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein II, these are slight wildcards, I suspect we may see them patched a few months after launch, but I don't suspect a day one patch. I think everyone would like to see a 60fps patch and I think the new Switch could handle that. Although since it's dynamic resolution on base Switch - at least we could see the game running at native 720p/30 without a patch.

What are your hopes and expectations for DLSS patches?

All the above mentioned are excellent choices. From third party games, I'd love to see Rocket League benefit from DLSS if at all possible for a UE3 game. Dynamic resolution when it's running at 576p on handheld is rough, to say the least. Hell even if DLSS can help boost the resolution to dedicate a little more efforts to the framerate so there's less need to choose between quality of image or quality of performance would be simply outstanding.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it has been asked before, but are there any new leaks/rumours regarding the Direct?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember before Nintendo's Direct at E3 2019 some media were hyping it up, since they knew the content of it (except for BotW 2). I kind of hope to get that same hype from them.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Probably won't catch Ubisoft tonight because I'm hoping to see friends, but should see Microsoft and Square Enix tomorrow, and should be watching Nintendo with friends after work on Tuesday. Should be a fun few days.

Jun 2, 2019

Pretty tired of this mentality

Skyward Sword having a new control scheme and its framerate improved up to 60 fps ins't hardly touched

Pikmin 3 having new story segments and a new multiplayer mode isn't hardly touched

This is reaching N64 games on 3DS are ports levels of absurdity.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Im sorru but for now SS is the worst N port, for now they have done the controls loke any other port

For now we have no indication on something...make Fae shut up for example

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Skyward Sword having a new control scheme and its framerate improved up to 60 fps ins't hardly touched

Pikmin 3 having new story segments and a new multiplayer mode isn't hardly touched

Ok, you are right and I have expressed myself wrong. I was referring to graphical improvements, which are expected with hypothetical patches of Switch Pro.

If Nintendo has not made it a priority to improve the resolution of Pikmin 3 on Switch, why should I think that it is going to spend time and resources to improve the resolution of Xenoblade 2 on Switch Pro with a patch?

If Koei Tecmo never fixed the fact that Hyrule Warriors runs 1080p on handheld and therefore has a bad framerate, why should we expect a patch for Age of Calamity?

(I'm not talking about games that will be better without touching them because they are of variable resolution, I'm talking about patches).

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017

They did at least make some effort with those games.

Still, there's no excuse for Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 running at only 30fps in the 3D collection though , is there?
It's that lack of effort that concerns me more, when it comes to talk of boosting older games.

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Ok, you are right and I have expressed myself wrong. I was referring to graphical improvements, which are expected with hypothetical patches of Switch Pro.

If Nintendo has not made it a priority to improve the resolution of Pikmin 3 on Switch, why should I think that it is going to spend time and resources to improve the resolution of Xenoblade 2 on Switch Pro with a patch?

(I'm not talking about games that will be better without touching them because they are of variable resolution, I'm talking about patches).

Who is saying they'll improve the graphics? They're not going to go in and add new textures, models or lighting to old games when the revision hits but that's not what people are asking for. People are talking about frame rate/resolution boosts. And the visual changes Nintendo have made to Skyward Sword HD are frame rate and resolution boosts, so this entire comparison is flawed.
Im sorru but for now SS is the worst N port, for now they have done the controls loke any other port

For now we have no indication on something...make Fae shut up for example
Every Zelda 3D/HD remaster/remake has had quality of life improvements to fix perceived flaws of the original without completely revamping the experience. It would be unusual if Nintendo don't do this with Skyward Sword, and if anything, the last decade of Zelda remasters suggests we should expect these quality of life changes because they've happened consistently. They might be restricted to minor fixes, and people who want a non-linear experience won't suddenly love Skyward Sword, but there will be changes beyond what we've seen.

I suspect they touted the new control scheme above anything else because that is the biggest perceived barrier to entry for this game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Who is saying they'll improve the graphics? They're not going to go in and add new textures, models or lighting to old games when the revision hits but that's not what people are asking for. People are talking about frame rate/resolution boosts. And the visual changes Nintendo have made to Skyward Sword HD are frame rate and resolution boosts, so this entire comparison is flawed.
Every Zelda 3D/HD remaster/remake has had quality of life improvements to fix perceived flaws of the original without completely revamping the experience. It would be unusual if Nintendo don't do this with Skyward Sword, and if anything, the last decade of Zelda remasters suggests we should expect these quality of life changes because they've happened consistently. They might be restricted to minor fixes, and people who want a non-linear experience won't suddenly love Skyward Sword, but there will be changes beyond what we've seen.

I suspect they touted the new control scheme above anything else because that is the biggest perceived barrier to entry for this game.
Yeah, but they are charging you € 60 for those improvements in Skyward Sword. I highly doubt that there are going to be many patches to improve the resolution or framerate of older games. Some will have better resolution and framerate because they were unlocked, but I don't expect much more. Just like New 3DS.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Really, the best part of DLSS is that it'll force Nintendo to utilise anti aliasing a lot more; lol.

RevoDave

Banned
Apr 17, 2021
Yeah, but they are charging you € 60 for those improvements in Skyward Sword. I highly doubt that there are going to be many patches to improve the resolution or framerate of older games. Some will have better resolution and framerate because they were unlocked, but I don't expect much more. Just like New 3DS.
So you pay 60 € for the game and 60 € for the improvements? Didn't know that the game cost 120 €!!!

Cevan

Sep 18, 2020
UK
I can't roll my eyes hard enough when I hear they won't go much into Zelda games because they don't want to take away from SSHD's sales.

I just watched Arlo's predictions videos and groaned when I heard him say this lol. I don't understand it whatsoever, if anything revealing BotW2 and getting people excited for it will boost Skyward Sword sales. Its not like both games are going to be released on the same day or actually anywhere near each other

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm sure the same people would've said "Nintendo would never reveal the next 3D Zelda while they're still trying to advertise a remake of an older 2D game!" back in 2019.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Still no excuse for Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 running at only 30fps in the 3D collection though , is there?
It's that lack of effort that concerns me more, when it comes to talk of boosting older games.
3D All Stars isn't some representative standard of how Nintendo treat all of their legacy games.

In 2020 Xenoblade got a remaster which used a new game engine, overhauled textures, character faces, lighting, and which included a remastered soundtrack, and new content. Just last month we had full remakes of the first two Detective Club games.

Yes, 3D All Stars was a package which didn't make changes and that's lazy. But it's not as if it's a company wide policy whereby every single re-release has no work done. We had a Mario port just four months ago that had movement speed and the camera adjusted and new content added, for example. Nintendo's re-releases actually show a varied approach and sometimes yeah, that results in disappointing efforts.

The question of what support Nintendo give their Switch titles on the revision isn't going to be answered by looking at these re-releases, though. What's the point of a massively improved Switch if that improved performance doesn't apply to software across the board?
They're charging for the re-release because it's a standalone Zelda title and they know they can charge that. What bearing does that have on how they approach patches for Switch revision support?

By all means, I can see why people think Nintendo might not bother with 'Pro' patches. But saying that Skyward Sword HD somehow strengthens the argument against Pro patches is nonsensical.

Oct 25, 2017
wait, i thought thought the "no zelda because SSHD" was specifically about a Zelda 3D All Stars that would make SSHD look like bad value, not about BOTW2. Come on now.

Cevan

Sep 18, 2020
UK
wait, i thought thought the "no zelda because SSHD" was specifically about a Zelda 3D All Stars that would make SSHD look like bad value, not about BOTW2. Come on now.

I was referring to Arlo's video where he said something like, he only expects a small BotW2 trailer at E3 and a full reveal in August after SSHD releases, which is just silly lol

I mean still though, Skyward Sword is a 'new' port so regardless the people who want to play it are still going to buy it even if they announce WW/TP. It's just a matter of spacing out the releases though, both will sell extremely well

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think it's fair to suspect Nintendo's approach to enhancements for existing software will be inconsistent. Maybe they only support the evergreen sellers, or maybe they add support when titles join a Nintendo Selects range, to give additional incentive for people to buy existing software in the years ahead.

If anything, Nintendo's inconsistent approach to ports and remasters should be the model here. Some games get visual overhauls, some don't. Some get new content, some don't. There isn't a one size fits all approach from Nintendo and as much as I'd like to see enhanced support across the board, I think it's more likely to be inconsistently applied.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
So you pay 60 € for the game and 60 € for the improvements? Didn't know that the game cost 120 €!!!
This is what gets me when discussing re-releases and their price point, the assumption that everyone has a copy of the original sitting on a shelf.

I own a battered Mario 64 cart, never played Sunshine, and sold my copy of Galaxy ages ago. 3D All-Stars was a steal at ∼45€ day one, let me tell you.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
There's a new interview about Famicom Detective Club on Famitsu; with Sakamato, and Asada from Mages.

www.famitsu.com

Switch『ファミコン探偵倶楽部』インタビュー。企画の発端から開発中のエピソードを少年探偵ばりに聞く【ネタバレあり】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

Nintendo Switch(ニンテンドースイッチ)でフルリメイクされた『ファミコン探偵倶楽部 消えた後継者・うしろに立つ少女』。本作の開発秘話に迫る開発者インタビューを掲載!

Asada wants to make a new FDC game. LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
For all intent and pur purposes, I think LA was a new game. While SS is a remastered port and still Nintendo showed BOTW2 with LA.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
There's a new interview about Famicom Detective Club on Famitsu; with Sakamato, and Asada from Mages.

www.famitsu.com

Switch『ファミコン探偵倶楽部』インタビュー。企画の発端から開発中のエピソードを少年探偵ばりに聞く【ネタバレあり】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

Nintendo Switch(ニンテンドースイッチ)でフルリメイクされた『ファミコン探偵倶楽部 消えた後継者・うしろに立つ少女』。本作の開発秘話に迫る開発者インタビューを掲載!

I endorse this.

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hope we can get some Pro patches, if they can include the invite feature they didn't bother to patch in with it that would be exquisite

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
also, link's awakening was a "2d" zelda, skyward sword is a "3d" one like botw.

so many reasons to act different.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I remember when people said 2017 Switch line up was abysmal now it seems like 2017 is the gold standard and every year is worse than the last.

2017 was the best year in terms of heavy-hitters, beyond that it was pretty barren in terms of 3rd Party & Indie Support.

From 2019 onward, the overall support for the Switch has been a lot more steady and varied.

In an ideal world we would get the same number of heavy-hitters as 2017/2019 + strong third party and indie support.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

www.famitsu.com

That's great to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.