• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just chiming in to say I generally don't believe in punitive justice. A grace period for bereavement, sure, but otherwise it's a waste of time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And how on earth does denying them basic rights do that.
Because it's not a natural or essential right. They don't need the entire gamut of citizens rights to recover. By your logic imprisonment at all is arbitrary and counterproductive? And yet they've stolen the natural and essential rights of others.

Which is why the system being built on being punitive is wrong. Criminal justice should be rehabilitative, not based on punitive and draconian ideals of punishment and suffering.
Eh, I'm of two minds about it. Do you not agree with crime and punishment? Not the implementation here in the U.S. of course, but the concept?

Yet, I assume you don't support capital punishment, and if you don't, then there's a reason for that. 'Eye for an eye' makes people feel better too; you could even say that it fosters a sense of justice, but it is wrong, barbaric, and keeps us lagging behind most other major democratic societies around the world.
Being better than literally just murdering people in retaliation is not any form of standard I'd consider to be morally upright and justified. "Paying your debt to society" is not meant to just be a bunch of rules we enforce on felons to make us feel better, that's a massive reason why our justice system is broken in the first place. Because we shovel them off into a cage to be out of our sight as we revel in their suffering and torment. "Justice" is supposed to be reformative, and even if we deny people permanent parole (which I also find wrong given how less than 5% of all felony convictions even get a trial) that's no excuse to deny them the right to have their voice heard for their own conditions.

If they are still people they still have the basic right to be heard, and if not then they aren't people.

I don't disagree with these posts.

Just chiming in to say I generally don't believe in punitive justice. A grace period for bereavement, sure, but otherwise it's a waste of time.

How would you implement that grace period? Detainment? Exile? How would you go about rehabilitation? Probation? A live-in guardian as the accused interacts with society? I'm genuinely curious. I've seen Scandanavian set-ups where "prisoners" live in a fairly comfortable housing complex that didn't seem too bad.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I will say this with as much empathy as I can.

You view an entire sub-class of people as subhuman because of a personal tragedy that befell you, and I am sorry for what happened.

But it's an absolute absurdity to think that people like Dylan Roof and the Boston Bombers are the norm of violent felonies. These are not animals, they are human beings who we force into slavery and abuse and torment every moment of every day of the remainder of their lives. And you are clearly incapable, as is evident in every single thread about the justice system, of dealing with the fact that there is not some ravening hoard of rapists, murderers, and thieves roaming around every corner.

99.9% of humanity are not incontrovertible, unfixable, blatant bald faced monsters who lack empathy or the capacity for goodness. You can't create a justice system centered around the outliers of the monsters that haunt you.
I do not view them as subhuman. But I do view people who repeatedly make the choice to harm other people as having made it very clear who they are. And when that's clear, it's up to society to make it so they can't hurt other people anymore. The reason you have problems with sex offender colonies under bridges? Largely exist because we released them back out into society.
Who "deserves" death?
It's more about options for taking care of the problem. I dont have a moral issue with the death penalty, but it comes with a "1 innocent life isn't worth 999 guilty ones" problem, and so going for the safer option is preferable.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Options for taking care of the problem".

These are people, Kirblar. People who did an awful thing, or awful things, but people.

To murder them in retaliation for doing that awful thing, is wrong.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think dems/independents are gonna sit at home or vote for Trump on election day because Bernie supports prisoners' right to vote. Sorry. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have more faith in people than I do. They literally sat at home because of "but her emails" nonsense in 2016. And that wasn't nearly as consensus unpopular as this, much more unfavorable along partisan lines.

But I guess we'll see if he ends up being the nom.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He has no power to do this if he wins, it is a state issue. It's Governors and state legislatures who decide this. See Virginia for a good example of this.

I do think the reason he's doing this is he's trying to make inroads into minority communities due to him learning lessons from 2016.

As for punitive justice, I'll admit, I do believe in it in limited circumstances, such as when the powerful commit crimes. I've always believed the rich and powerful should be punished more harshly than an average citizen when they intentionally commit a crime. When you're part of the elite, you have additional responsibilities to society.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's okay to murder them.
If you're an omnipotent god-king, yes. We shouldn't be doing that, because we're not omnipotent god-kings and can't tell the difference between a serial killer and the guy falsely set up as one by corrupt police. And so the risk isn't worth it when we have the ability to imprison them for the rest of their lives.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If you're an omnipotent god-king, yes. We shouldn't be doing that, because we're not omnipotent god-kings and can't tell the difference between a serial killer and the guy falsely set up as one by corrupt police. And so the risk isn't worth it when we have the ability to imprison them for the rest of their lives.

If I were an omnipotent god-king I'd go back in time to eradicate evil from the world and make all life inherently benevolent and altruistic.

Class of 2020 y'all!

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I can't verify the source of the information (reddit comment), but supposedly white papers for Mayor Pete are coming out in early May.

e: also if Biden isn't announcing this week, give me that Monmouth poll tomorrow please
Here's a source on that.

Buttigieg says that he expects he'll probably do some policy rollout of his own starting in May, as part of a reading on the race that "you've got to have a feat per month."

Only an expectation rather than a solid promise, but the reasoning makes sense so I think he's likely to follow through. His media blowout will surely start to lose some steam in May and starting a policy rollout will keep momentum going until the debates start.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Some people might deserve to die, but who amongst us has the moral purity to make that call? I mean other than me of course, I'm clearly perfect, but the rest of you? Yeesh.

muetimueti

May 24, 2018
That the right for felons to vote is even up for debate is pretty wild. Those percentages of support/oppose on the last page are staggering, how does such an immoral view in the general electorate come about?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
That the right for felons to vote is even up for debate is pretty wild. Those percentages of support/oppose on the last page are staggering, how does such an immoral view in the general electorate come about?

Our country views justice very differently than other countries. The majority still support the death penalty for convicted murderers.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Ok, I get that Kirblar has a history of expressing some pretty terrible views, but I'd strongly advise against the underhanded sniping/subtweeting; the mods aren't gonna have it.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
If I were an omnipotent god-king I'd go back in time to eradicate evil from the world and make all life inherently benevolent and altruistic.

Class of 2020 y'all!

Man look at how many hacks are up there. What are some of these people doing tbh.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
"Options for taking care of the problem".

These are people, Kirblar. People who did an awful thing, or awful things, but people.

To murder them in retaliation for doing that awful thing, is wrong.

I don't really agree with this. I am anti-death penalty because there is no fool-proof way of preventing innocent deaths, but intentionally depriving someone else of their life is worthy, morally, of being met with the same fate, unless you are mentally ill and were unable to discern the difference between right and wrong at the time.

massiveinvisibledog

Alt account
Banned
Dec 24, 2018
I don't really agree with this. I am anti-death penalty because there is no fool-proof way of preventing innocent deaths, but intentionally depriving someone else of their life is worthy, morally, of being met with the same fate, unless you are mentally ill and were unable to discern the difference between right and wrong at the time.
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind etc.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You stared into the abyss too long
References to Kirblar's past bans.
We should treat them better than how they treat their victims. We don't do the Hammurabi thing and go tit for tat; that is just vengeance masquerading as justice.

Also, felon disenfranchisement is entirely racist.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

PREACH!

The fearmongering is ridiculous. There are criminals who will never get caught and can vote, and our country has managed to not legalize homicide even with these people out in the wild. It would be no different if prisoners were allowed to vote, and considering the demographics, it would likely make our country more progressive.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Prisoners should be able to vote. I understand why some people want to treat prisoners like they are not human but that's a mistake in my opinion.

The Clintons Had Slaves

Contrary to popular understanding, the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution did not prohibit slavery. The text makes it clear:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

The nifty little loophole of that word "except" means that slavery isn't actually banned outright; someone simply has to be convicted of a crime in order to be enslaved.
Today, forced labor among African Americans persists; in Louisiana, for example, felons are sentenced to "hard labor" as well as prison time, and inmates at the infamous Angola prison still pick cotton at gunpoint.
The prison labor system in the United States has long been an unacknowledged scandal. It's quite plainly a form of slavery. The Thirteenth Amendment even admits as much: it doesn't say that when you're forced to work for being convicted of a crime, that isn't slavery. It says that slavery is legal if it is imposed as part of a conviction for a crime.
But two possibly unexpected beneficiaries of the contemporary prison slavery system were none other than Bill and Hillary Clinton, who during their time at the Arkansas governor's mansion in the 1980's used inmates to perform various household tasks in order to "keep costs down." Hillary Clinton wrote of the practice openly and without any apparent sense of moral conflict.
Clinton was, however, generous enough to allow inmates from Arkansas prisons to work as unpaid servants in the Governor's Mansion. In It Takes a Village, Hillary Clinton writes that the residence was staffed with "African-American men in their thirties," since "using prison labor at the governor's mansion was a longstanding tradition, which kept down costs." It is unclear just how longstanding the tradition of having chained black laborers brought to work as maids and gardeners had been.
But one has no doubt that as the white residents of a mansion staffed with unpaid blacks, the Clintons were continuing a certain historic Southern practice. (Hillary Clinton did note, however, that she and Bill were sure not to show undue lenience to the sla…servants, writing that "[w]e enforced rules strictly and sent back to prison any inmate who broke a rule."

The Clintons' use of prison labor was only one small part of a long and horrifying record. Both Clintons, but especially Bill, have consistently manipulated black political interests while showing complete disregard for the humanity of African Americans.

This stretches from Hillary's perpetuation of a hideous racist myth about a wave of hyper-violent "superpredators" to Bill's politically-motivated execution of a mentally disturbed black inmate. (I know it's a crass plug, but there really is far more on this, with a lot of sources, in Superpredator.)

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/06/the-clintons-had-slaves

California Is Running Out of Inmates to Fight Its Fires

More than 3,700 men and women—and even some juvenile offenders—now voluntarily serve on the force. Collectively, they make up roughly a third of the state's wildfire-fighting personnel, and work an average of 10 million hours each year responding to fires and other emergencies and handling community-service projects like park maintenance, reforestation, and fire and flood protection.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...l-inmates-fight-californias-wildfires/547628/

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Death penalty is a difficult subject.

I know that ultimately, its wrong, and that in the future we should do away with it altogether. But its hard for me to make that a blanket statement, because I can't emotionally distance myself from certain extreme cases where I feel like it is still deserved.

I think all felons should be attempted to be rehabilitated and reintroduced to society in a healthy way, but if that is impossible then it becomes lifelong separation from society. I guess that is the right answer. Maybe that's even ultimately a better punishment for even the worst of them. Being isolated for 50+ years in your own head might be a worse fate than some painless drug death penalty.

I guess. It takes a big person to not want "revenge" or whatever.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You stared into the abyss too long
References to Kirblar's past bans.

We should treat them better than how they treat their victims. We don't do the Hammurabi thing and go tit for tat; that is just vengeance masquerading as justice.

Felon disenfranchisement is absolutely wrong, I agree.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If we do forgive student loan debt, it would be the biggest upper-middle class handout I've ever seen. I'm solidly against this policy, and if it ever becomes mainstream among Democrats I genuinely don't know who I'm going to vote for. Can we have a "smart, sensible policy" party please?

FYI, I'm still 100% in support of forgiving loans for individuals who are incapable of paying it back, before people start dogpiling on me. Just not most middle-class folks.

Mmm upper middle class kids get their college paid for nearly in full. Its the lower middle and working poor families that need the big student loans.

Oct 28, 2017

I agree that a disproportionate amount of African Americans are in prison and some of them are definitely for racist reasons.

The solution is not to allow murderers to vote as collateral damage to correct this injustice, the solution is actual criminal justice reform to make sure the people who are in prison for bogus crimes like smoking a joint while black aren't in prison to begin with.

Solve the root cause.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that Monmouth poll sucks. They were teasing it like something exciting was going on.

Instead it was just Buttigieg breaking out and taking a few votes from everyone. Everybody knew that was going to happen. And it was all done while Buttigieg was breaking out. He'll drop back down now since the New York Times article came out a week ago, and all the crap about him working with lobbyists/bundlers. If this country votes for that trash, this country deserves that trash. Bring on next months poll.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that a disproportionate amount of African Americans are in prison and some of them are definitely for racist reasons.

The solution is not to allow murderers to vote as collateral damage to correct this injustice, the solution is actual criminal justice reform to make sure the people who are in prison for bogus crimes like smoking a joint while black aren't in prison to begin with.

Solve the root cause.
We can do both. And fixing felon disenfranchisement is a part of criminal justice reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.