Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Every campaign already does this. I've personally done this canvasing for several campaigns. The only difference was that the intel wasn't crowdsourced from supporters.

Yeah, but like, in the age of public information, there's so much creepy shit going on (especially with Google) that this kinda shit is a blip on the radar for me to be concerned with. There's literally nothing that can be done; it's perfectly legal.
I've done it too, but I don't think any campaign I've done it for has asked friends and family to snitch on each other.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it cool or not super creepy. Isn't Bernie's whole thing supposed to be he's better than all that?

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
It's still creepy as hell. If Bernie canvassers start showing up at people's doors or they start getting leaflets targeting them specifically people are going to be weirded out.

It just feels like you're getting informed on. It's a bit like "tell us if they aren't down with the revolution and we'll go talk to them" ya know?

Husband to a union member here.

This already happens a lot. We get bombarded by Democrat door to doors and leaflets every election cycle just because my wife's in a union.

Everyone's collecting information, this is just a different way of doing it.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017

Appreciate you helping me understand this....my google game has gotten weak I suppose, lol. So I guess for my state you can either a) pay "a reasonable fee" to access it for campaign purposes or b) go to a county election office.

I dunno, I work in IT related to health care/health insurance, so maybe I am particularly sensitive how data is managed, but it seems like the BERN app is taking some somewhat obfuscated information and making it a bit more public facing.

I suppose it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (I certainly gave more information willingly to Facebook in my life) but I don't love the trajectory if this becomes something every campaign does.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

This already happens a lot. We get bombarded by Democrat door to doors and leaflets every election cycle just because my wife's in a union.

Oh I know, but asking friends and family about you just feels like a step over the line to me.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there's a hit piece in the works for Pete. Posting this as a tease for a future reveal says a lot to me about the accuracy of the claim. The poster appears to be a log cabin repub that did a piss poor job of scrubbing their social media history and is now posing as a Bernie stan.

https://medium.com/@realHunterKelly/pete-buttigieg-sexually-assaulted-me-1a5c0aebae6d

This has the same vibe as the Jacob Wohl's "announcing Mullers rape victim" conference/shitshow.

Pretty gross (if this is false) that people continually try to put out false rape narratives to stir the shit.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just a little more skittish about voter data, considering how Cambridge Analytica used things.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just a little more skittish about voter data, considering how Cambridge Analytica used things.
It's also the lack of choice in this. I choose to use Google and Facebook, I sign up for a union knowning they'll give my information out, this is someone giving out information on me without asking if it's ok.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
No one is arguing the legality of it, the point is that it's straight creepy.
If any other candidate was doing this no one would bat an eye. There is nothing creepy about it, it's just how moderns campaigns are run.
It's also the lack of choice in this. I choose to use Google and Facebook, I sign up for a union knowning they'll give my information out, this is someone giving out information on me without asking if it's ok.
If you're signing up for a union you're likely giving the union permission to give out your info to campaigns

Oct 27, 2017
If any other candidate was doing this no one would bat an eye. There is nothing creepy about it, it's just how moderns campaigns are run.

If you're signing up for a union you're likely giving the union permission to give out your info to campaigns

People don't realize a big alternative is underhanded shit like the Mercer's pulled with Cambridge Analytica.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

No, it's creepy. It's some 'inform on your neighbors' level shit. I don't believe in 'The $27 Revolution', and if someone I know put my name on this list I'd be pissed.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was some outcry when the Cruz campaign sent out fake report cards that were used to shame people into voting by showing the voting frequency of their neighbors, but it was mostly centered around the fact that they looked semi-official. Social pressure in campaigns seems to work, but I don't like this encouragement of giving out people's information without clear consent, regardless of the candidate doing it.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if anyone did this, I'd still feel creeped out. Even someone I support. Its as simple as 'don't voluntarily give out my personal information without my permission.'
The information they're asking for isn't personal, is the thing. They're asking for info that a campaign volunteer/staffer would ask for, which I guess is getting matched to your voter file.

If you consider info like who you're voting for or voting history, to be personal, that's cool but literally no campaign does.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
The information they're asking for isn't personal, is the thing. They're asking for info that a campaign volunteer/staffer would ask for, which I guess is getting matched to your voter file.

If you consider info like who you're voting for or voting history, to be personal, that's cool but literally no campaign does.

Who you're voting for is absolutely personal. The concern is not that you're reporting your own information, it's that you're reporting someone else's. I don't see it as that terrible, but it is absolutely someone else's personal information.

The main distinction from regular canvassing is that this takes away the other person's consent.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With these hands we will remove consent. With these hands we will inform on our neighbors. With these hands we will violate people's privacy.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I said. If I sign up for a union I do so knowing they'll give my information out. I'm saying I never gave my family and friends permission to hand out my information like this.

Frankly dude, this would be creepy no matter who was doing it.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden is a better speaker than his competition, it's going to help him

Dec 12, 2017
That's what I said. If I sign up for a union I do so knowing they'll give my information out. I'm saying I never gave my family and friends permission to hand out my information like this.

Thank you. Trying to paint it as a Bernie vendetta is ridiculous and straight up paranoid.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017

Then it's likely they won't do it right? Which means you're clear.

If I was going to fill out BERN I would at least be asking my circle if they were cool with it. Not because I think it violates their privacy, but because I think it would be dickish to loose marketers on them without a heads up. I do the same thing with "referrals" that websites want me to push before I actually throw a friends email in there.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It's a website, not a downloadable app. I took a screenshot of desktop version here:

ScreenShot4292019at1.png

If you are registered to vote, that information is already publicly available. The app simply links that information to their database, with the supplemental info about who you support and who added you. There are no blasts sent because there is no email provided. Without this tool, the campaign could've found you anyway if you're a registered voter.
If a person considers any of this privileged information and values the privacy of it don't tell Bernie supporters anything about it if you don't want to unknowingly give that information to the Sanders' campaign.
Specifically making note if a person is a student or union member and then for their specific school or union brings into question the purpose of gathering that specific data. It does seem unscrupulous and that it could be used inappropriately.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, if you want to stand by that comparison, knock yourself out. LMAO.
And continue to ignore the question about attending a black church. I guess I should spell it out for you:

As brainchild said, Nina is tapping to her black pastor past. There is a quality that black pastors have that is present in a lot of them when they speak publicly. I provided MLK as an example because he was a pastor. If you haven't attended a black church, you most likely would have heard him speak before.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Women also can be good speakers, you know.
Oh right, criticism of Turner acting like a creepy cult leader is because she's a woman 🙄Is this kind of like how any criticism of Buttigieg is because he's a gay man and it's homophobia that's fueling it?

And continue to ignore the question about attending a black church. I guess I should spell it out for you:

As brainchild said, Nina is tapping to her black pastor past. There is a quality that black pastors have that is present in a lot of them when they speak publicly. I provided MLK as an example because he was a pastor. If you haven't attended a black church, you most likely would have heard him speak before.
I didn't answer because it's a silly question that has nothing to do with the situation. Turner using chanting and repetition in this context reads as cult-y, sorry.

🤔

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Then it's likely they won't do it right? Which means you're clear.

If I was going to fill out BERN I would at least be asking my circle if they were cool with it. Not because I think it violates their privacy, but because I think it would be dickish to loose marketers on them without a heads up. I do the same thing with "referrals" that websites want me to push before I actually throw a friends email in there.

Yeah, anyone I put into the system I talked to first before doing so. I can't imagine many people not doing this.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Oof, this reads as cult behavior to me. M4A is a great goal as is making college free or more affordable... but this is just creepy.

It should read that way as it is cultish behavioral programming. It's not creating mindfulness and increased awareness in these people. It's reinforcing specific patterns of thought and encouraging certain behavior under a personality banner through an ecstatic opportunity.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't answer because it's a silly question that has nothing to do with the situation. Turner using chanting and repetition in this context reads as cult-y, sorry.
It has everything to do with the situation. Changing and repetition isn't cultural, it's an extremely basic rhetorical device that everyone uses. You're just having another "eating crackers" moment.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should read that way as it is cultish behavioral programming. It's not creating mindfulness and increased awareness in these people. It's reinforcing specific patterns of thought and encouraging certain behavior under a personality banner through an ecstatic opportunity.
Exactly correct.

It has everything to do with the situation. Changing and repetition isn't cultural, it's an extremely basic rhetorical device that everyone uses. You're just having another "eating crackers" moment.
Not really. Weirder has it right.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of things to criticize Nina Turner for, but calling this cultish is unproductive and racist.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Asking for other people's information is not normal in the slightest. It's straight out of MLM playbooks, where they ask you to sell to people close to you.
yeah the cult characterization for that kind of speaking style is not ok
Cults are extremist religions. Religiosity directed towards a candidate is not normal in the slightest and it's absolutely the right word to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.