• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Sorry for asking here, but I don't know where to ask. Does anyone know how long it takes for new members to be able to create topics?

Thanks my friends!

winkyface

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shitballs, I just got back from a one week vacation! Reading all about what happened has been crazy, but I'm glad we have this new place. Thanks to everyone that made this possible!

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't really the place to put this, but I can't start a new thread.

But for the love of god is there something we can do to tackle this issue which was in GAF and seems to have crossed over here the last few days and that is....

World negativity

Every time I enter the off topics and sometimes games it's flooded with the following:

> trump did this
> Sexuality news
> nasty politics
> latest scandals
> this game is failing
> this person deserved what he/she said

Just general negitivity, I've personally gone through the worst year of my life and to be honest I keep fighting on, but all this negativity is really driving me down

Is there anything resetera can do to filter it out a little?
If you click on a user to bring up their little card you can then go to their profile page and hit "find all threads by {user}". Based on that you may wish to put them on your ignore list which will also hide any threads they have created.

krioto

Oct 27, 2017
Also, not only would I not want to see them, I would actually go further and request a mod to ban me from that forum specifically. Occasionally I have been known to lash out in threads like that because my emotions get the better of me.

Having a more granular forum separation this way would allow people to either self-ban from the negativity forum, or if they act up a mod could in theory ban them from that specific forum while they're still allowed to contribute productively and happily to other parts of the forum where they can't easily fall victim to their emotions in the same way.

I think personal responsibility should surely trump this crazy proposal you are suggesting here. The forum layout is fine.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
I think personal responsibility should surely trump this crazy proposal you are suggesting here. The forum layout is fine.
I'm still not sure why splitting into Gaming, News, and Off-Topic is "crazy". What is so crazy about it? It sounds like your position is more along the lines of "it wouldn't be helpful to me personally, therefore it's stupid", which I would argue is not very respectful of people who have valid problems with it.

Note also that it wasn't my suggestion originally, I just happen to support it

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
Also, not only would I not want to see them, I would actually go further and request a mod to ban me from that forum specifically. Occasionally I have been known to lash out in threads like that because my emotions get the better of me.

Having a more granular forum separation this way would allow people to either self-ban from the negativity forum, or if they act up a mod could in theory ban them from that specific forum while they're still allowed to contribute productively and happily to other parts of the forum where they can't easily fall victim to their emotions in the same way.
I would support the arguments that have been made in favour of this. I too feel a profound effect on my mental health when surrounded by negativity, and it distracts from the main reasons I'm here.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
How will this forum handle known individuals/personas that promote or defend bigotry, hate, and ignorance?

These are not past actions done on a distant forum but something they profit from today.

If a known GGer supporter were to join this forum am I suppose to play dumb to the fact of their behavior simply because they use to post on a different forum?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The news on world politics and opinions about it that fight bigotry, hatred and simply not giving a fuck is and has always been a giant part of why I was happy the old OT existed. If you don't care for those topics, it's easy to not click on them. If you do care, it would be horrible if we also would censor them, hide them away or otherwise pretend they wouldn't have anything to do with everyday life. There are literally tons of other forums and platform that better suit your wishes then.

As far as I'm concerned, ResetEra is and should be aware that politics exist, and that they do matter when it comes to the world and even for hobbyist things like video games. It's important to know about this, and it's important to know about facts and information, about how to improve social standards and opinions. It seems laughable that, this shortly after the old OT was literally shut down because of this, people would come over here just to promote the same idea of keeping "negative" news off the site.

I'm sure the staff will make the right decision here and whatever keeps the world talking will be allowed to keep ResetEra's OT talking.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
The news on world politics and opinions about it that fight bigotry, hatred and simply not giving a fuck is and has always been a giant part of why I was happy the old OT existed. If you don't care for those topics, it's easy to not click on them. If you do care, it would be horrible if we also would censor them, hide them away or otherwise pretend they wouldn't have anything to do with everyday life. There are literally tons of other forums and platform that better suit your wishes then.

As far as I'm concerned, ResetEra is and should be aware that politics exist, and that they do matter when it comes to the world and even for hobbyist things like video games. It's important to know about this, and it's important to know about facts and information, about how to improve social standards and opinions. It seems laughable that, this shortly after the old OT was literally shut down because of this, people would come over here just to promote the same idea of keeping "negative" news off the site.

I'm sure the staff will make the right decision here and whatever keeps the world talking will be allowed to keep ResetEra's OT talking.

I don't disagree they should be welcomed on the forum. I just don't see how it follows that saying "here is an area of the forum just for this", that is still open to all, and just as visible as OT and Gaming, and not hidden away in any way shape or form, is somehow "keeping negative news off the site" or "censorship". As for "pretending they wouldn't have anything to do with everyday life", do you also believe that video games "have to do with every day life"? Because discussion of video games is also in a separate forum, no different than what people are suggesting for politics and news.

And lastly, while it may be easy for you not to click on them, I think it's unreasonable for you to assume the same of other people whose situation you don't know.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
How will this forum handle known individuals/personas that promote or defend bigotry, hate, and ignorance?

These are not past actions done on a distant forum but something they profit from today.

If a known GGer supporter were to join this forum am I suppose to play dumb to the fact of their behavior simply because they use to post on a different forum?

If they're promoting bigotry, hate, and ignorance on this forum, you should report them. You could also mute them.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am impressed that we can flag posts as inappropriate. Also we can read when required mod comments on when something is out of line. This is a really good feature.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Regardless if it is done on this forum. If JonTron comes here with the only talk about RDR2 he should not be allowed to join this community.
EDIT: This post was a mistake and I well overstepped my boundaries. Please disregard what I have written here. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

To be honest I felt this way at first too, but the ignore feature here is much better lol. I respect the decision to give people a chance though.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
To be honest I felt this way at first too, but the ignore feature here is much better lol. I respect the decision to give people a chance though.
The ignore feature is very good. I highly encourage people to use it for the reams of bad posters who will never do anything worth banning but will also never write anything worth reading. I would also like to note that we take the readability of this forum very seriously and will be flexible with the moderation here for extreme problem cases (while always remaining fair and transparent about what we are doing and why).

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Dude. What? JonTron? Is this really what we're about? Please reconsider.

I'm all for clean slates within reason, this is taking it too far.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JonTron might already be here under a user name not as obvious as "JonTron" anyway. No point in stressing over variables

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This forum is (was?) supposed to be a place where women and minorities would feel safe and welcome.

The notion that you'd allow someone to post here who publicly spewed race hate and stupid white displacement theories mere months ago just because he did it elsewhere is bullshit. I am appalled kristoffer , we'll leave here just like we left GAF if this lax moderation you're suggesting is put into practice.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see a fresh start, been a long time since I posted on forums - but I look forward to chilling with ya'll again!

Alautilus

Oct 25, 2017
if jontron isn't welcome (which he shouldn't be) are other known white supremacists and misogynists also not welcome?

Chozoman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to say, that even though I was a "member" of the [insert old community name here] forum, I never really felt like a contributor. There was too much history and inertia in place for passing posters, like myself, to feel like we made an impact. I hope to remedy that here.

:D

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
So if we used to be called Gaffers on the other forum, what are we called here? Errors? :p
Reseters!

Also, this site is giving me a new attitude lease. :3 Back in the old days, when someone antagonized me, pissed me off, or just astounded me with stupidity, I would incessantly argue with them until it eventually turned into a big fight. Because in those days, using the ignore/block function was seen as a cop out - like, running away from a fight. Glad to say I don't see things that way anymore! In order to preserve this site's harmony, I don't care if I end up having a hundred people on ignore - and vice versa, I ain't letting people get to me no mo'!

9c8505dd1ef742870994cb815e3f685c--buffy-the-vampire-slayer-the-face.jpg

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
To be clear: Jon Tron has no place on our boards and is not welcomed. Sorry for any confusion.

So this is pretty interesting to me A) since I have no idea who JonTron is and B) because this is, I believe, the first example of a proper red line drawn by the Era administration.

Based on a quick wikipedia read, it seems he's a YouTuber with an anti-immigration views, who also said wealthy blacks do more crimes than poor whites in some interview. So that I understand the site policy, is it the latter in specific that is the reason he is not welcome? Or are people with critical views on immigration not welcome?

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So this is pretty interesting to me A) since I have no idea who JonTron is and B) because this is, I believe, the first example of a proper red line drawn by the Era administration.

Based on a quick wikipedia read, it seems he's a YouTuber with an anti-immigration views, who also said wealthy blacks to more crimes than poor whites in some interview. So that I understand the site policy, is it the latter in specific that is the reason he is not welcome? Or are people with critical views on immigration not welcome?

He literally expressed fear of minorities diluting the gene pool

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
He literally expressed fear of minorities diluting the gene pool

Well that's bad. His Wikipedia is well managed, or maybe I read it too quick. In any case, good to understand whether discussion critical of immigration can be had here. We had some pretty hard debates about EU immigration policy and integration of immigrants in the old place, but it also got a lot of people banned there.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I like how everyone is shown as a "member." Really disliked how some people were treated because they had a junior member status.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
Just noticed that a poster on this page was banned. Then I remembered that one of the big selling points was transparency, and how we could easily see why a user was banned. I had to dig a bit to find out why the user on this page was banned, and while I did ultimately find it, I wonder if it's worth making it easier to find. For example, could the actual "Banned" tag under the user's name just link directly to the exact post that triggered the ban? Not sure if this is going to far, but it would increase transparency (not saying the transparency isn't already great btw, just an idle thought that came to mind the first time I tried to actually take advantage of the transparency and figure out why a user was banned)

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason I used to love the other place and now love Reset is because it is one of the very very very few places that is safe for us minorities. Respect to the mods and mods and all the people who make this a place of refuge for us.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
SweetNicole Question related this. Not 100% sure of how legitimate it is, but I saw a screenshot of a Discord chat discussing certain people that registered on this forum who had been bad actors in the past. They do not appear to exist as members now, and I was wondering if there is a formal criteria for walling off these types of users.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it more that witchhunting and denouncing users for their behaviour elsewhere is going to lead to all kinds of bullshit? Better just to ban them as they rear their heads

Oct 26, 2017
SweetNicole Question related this. Not 100% sure of how legitimate it is, but I saw a screenshot of a Discord chat discussing certain people that registered on this forum who had been bad actors in the past. They do not appear to exist as members now, and I was wondering if there is a formal criteria for walling off these types of users.
Are you seriously advocating that some users shouldn't be allowed to join because of hearsay and backseat modding from people that aren't involved in this site (for good reason)? That's pretty much bullshit in its highest form.

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
This place doesn't need the most toxic actors nor give them a platform to promote themselves.

That seems exactly contrary to shinobi602 's original post, which I'll quote here:

Hey friendos.

Relationships built up, hostilities sometimes built up, reputations may or may not have been made with other members, developers, or otherwise. There's history with many.

However, this is ResetEra.

We're not bringing baggage with us. Everyone gets a fresh start and should be treated with respect, courtesy, and fairness. If someone is conducting themselves within the confines of the TOS, having hurt no one, do not treat them differently for perceived history from outside this forum. Engage each other as you normally would. We have a chance to form a community that's comfortable for everybody.

I've got to be honest, I'm a little bit concerned that the witch hunts are already starting.

Oct 26, 2017
This place doesn't need the most toxic actors nor give them a platform to promote themselves.
I'd like to see some proof that they are "the most toxic actors" rather than hearsay from someone that's not involved with this site and who is having a complete meltdown because he can't be authoritarian here.

What you and the other posters are suggesting goes completely against the pretences set out when this site was set up. It goes against any moral argument, and quite honestly starting witch hunts against members that aren't signed up, or haven't been give a fair shake here is very concerning.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously advocating that some users shouldn't be allowed to join because of hearsay and backseat modding from people that aren't involved in this site (for good reason)? That's pretty much bullshit in its highest form.
You really shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Nicole already said JonTron has no place here. Why would other bad actors be excluded?

Status
Not open for further replies.