• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 58

They almost started an international incident between the the Principality of Solvette and the Aikatsu industry. Pretty sure the idols would win that. So the country is freezing to death (because of climate change), the king is sick, and the queen is likely dead, so Princess Alicia has been running the country for 5 years. They're so cut off from the world that they get no help from the outside and barely any communications since no one knows what idols are. Everyone's just kind of depressed. Also apparently everyone speaks Japanese, because that makes sense.

Alicia really should be using her connections to get some sort of relief aid. I get that they don't get much news from Solvette, but did Hibiki really not consider something like this might be the case? She doesn't deserve Alicia. Pure Palette are trying to cheer up the country with performances. Which is noble, but they should use their fame to help stop climate change or something. I know they've super hologram tech, but the performance stage should've had more snow. I think I've figured out Love Me Tear's endgame though. They're clearly positioning Aikatsu to be the savior of Solvette and use that to bring the country under the industry's heel. Using an impoverished country's plight to boost their own political power. That's top idols for you. Season just keeps getting more and more whack.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Saranzanmai a return to form for Ikuhara? I enjoyed Penguindrum, and didn't really get into Yuri Kuma Arashi, but it seems like the themes, imagery, and coming of age narrative of Sarazanmai are all gelling surprisingly well this time.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Is Saranzanmai a return to form for Ikuhara? I enjoyed Penguindrum, and didn't really get into Yuri Kuma Arashi, but it seems like the themes, imagery, and coming of age narrative of Sarazanmai are all gelling surprisingly well this time.

Thematically a lot of it is a response piece to Penguindrum so far. Penguindrum exploring the connections you're born into and how an oppressive society cultivates them, and Sarazanmai exploring what it means to truly reach out and connect beyond the surface-level relations that society has established for us.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thematically a lot of it is a response piece to Penguindrum so far. Penguindrum exploring the connections you're born into and how an oppressive society cultivates them, and Sarazanmai exploring what it means to truly reach out and connect beyond the surface-level relations that society has established for us.

I hadn't noticed that connection, thanks for this.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titan 54
This might be one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Man, I forgot what it was like to be hyped about this anime.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I was crazy surprised by this. I actually didn't jump in till 6 episodes had already aired cause it just looked so crazy generic "isekai" and it turns out to become one of my favorite shows to watch each week

It's my most enjoyable, relaxing watch from week to week. It's not my favorite (Carol & Tuesday) but it's pretty great. If it stays on this path instead of being the usual isekai series, it'll become one of the standouts of the genre alongside stuff like Log Horizon or Slime.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
We're so close to Symphogear that I can't stand it. I can't even imagine how crazy the first episode will be considering past seasons.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro 57
You know, for an episode where Kitaro more or less haunts the villain youkai of the episode until driving him insane, I found this to be an incredibly dull affair. It was nice to see the amount of effort drawn to connect this episode (also about a vampire) to last week's standalone episode, as well as to the Backbeard Army arc as a whole (hell, Anges even makes a short cameo). But I think what was missing from this episode was a real sense of dread that Kitaro can embody. There have been plenty of stories where Kitaro's nature has come across as particularly frightening or threatening in the right context, but despite being a horror show most of the "hauntings" that make up the bulk of the episode's content are played for laughs rather than building dread. There's no existential horror at whether Kitaro has actually cursed this vampire he's scaring, and what happens during these "hauntings" never comes across as serious enough that the villain should have been losing his mind the way he was. All in all, this felt like a bit of a missed opportunity to show how terrifying it can be for people who choose to stand against Kitaro, especially when he dives into darker parts of his personality.

Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? 8
I know I said I was only going to give Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? one more chance to impress me, but despite the rampant (and frankly necessary) censorship, these couple of scenarios (one for each of our current couples) were more in line with the first couple of episodes in being so unbelievably outrageous as to be genuinely enjoyable from the sheer audacity of it all! It's also nice that the author seemed to have wised up to the fact that no one really cares all that deeply about these characters, so there's not as much pretense in forming a relationship here as there was for the first couple. It just ends up leaving more room for situational comedy, which was my main criticism of the last batch of episodes. I don't know if this is an indication that the last third of the series will continue in this fashion, but this was enough of a return to what I enjoyed from the series early on that I will stick around to find out.

Attack on Titan 54
I just hope that the material this series is heading for in the latter half of this cour has some decent payoff, as that's something that Titan feels like it's been lacking throughout the third season, and it would be nice to get some closure to some things as Wit's time with the series comes to a close. Whatever the series' future may have in store, I do hope they can at least end their time on a high note instead of a whimper, and do so without relying solely on the material to carry them.
Welp, consider myself called out by Wit; what an absolute knockout of an episode! After what feels like a lot of misfires at trying new things and plotlines that felt like they were pulling together more to wrap up something that had become a bit unwieldy since the end of the second season, this brought a lot of things into focus while presenting a well-packaged display of all the core things that drew people to Attack on Titan in the first place: absolutely insane action cuts utilizing gear that looks unlike anything else you'll find in shows like this, stories of personal struggle and sacrifice that manages to come from a place of raw passion without coming across as pure melodrama, and character beats that often surprise in their timing but feel well earned and realized even if the plot is always the core focus. This episode hits all three of those in stride, crafting a thrilling and sad climax to this inter-personal battle between the team and Reiner & Bertholdt, all while showcasing why the series made Wit's animation renown throughout the industry when they put the first season out so many years ago. Hats off to Wit Studio, they saw a chance to leave their mark as their time draws to a close with Titan and they took it in stride. Whatever follows from this for the rest of the season (especially the answer to what's in the box basement), this will stand as one of my fondest memories of the franchise for some time to come. Whoever's going to step up to the plate with the series after the end of season three will have some enormous shoes to fill!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Revisions 2

Lol this fucking guy just saw some of his classmates get crushed to death by a giant monster but he's super happy because he gets to pilot a mecha, what an asshole

Edit: okay the after credits scene has a woman wearing bunny ears and a chainmail bikini type armour come out of stasis while the audio narration goes NAISU BADI in an overjoyed tone. I fucking can't even, what is this shit

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Revisions 2

Lol this fucking guy just saw some of his classmates get crushed to death by a giant monster but he's super happy because he gets to pilot a mecha, what an asshole

Edit: okay the after credits scene has a woman wearing bunny ears and a chainmail bikini type armour come out of stasis while the audio narration goes NAISU BADI in an overjoyed tone. I fucking can't even, what is this shit
Revisions is bad. I only watched till the end because I could binge it and I generally have a high tolerance for anything that has mecha in it. If it had been a weekly broadcast, I would have probably dropped it in the middle.
I'm not telling you to drop it, though. Do keep us informed of how bad it keeps getting.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mmh that 'Revisions' show is out on Netflix (but maybe it already was and I just missed it?). Will give it a try, not really expecting much from the one trailer I saw though.

It's only been out for a week or two (similarly to Ingress, strangely, even though that aired 3 months earlier!).

I've watched the first few episodes. The lead character is deliberately intensely annoying (one of the central plot points of the show is he has a terrible hero complex) and otherwise its narrative thus far is very much of a type you've undoubtedly seen before, but its animation (albeit CG) is pretty good.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Code Geass R2 12
Phew. I thought this was going to be as bad as the season 1 version of this episode but it was moderately better. We at least found out what Cordelia had been up to and that guy that never dies is a Geass canceller. Which means we're repeating the Shirley episodes next. On the one hand, they were good episodes. On the other hand, why are we still repeating plot points?

Gundam: Origin 5
Ah, I'm sad now. Garma wasn't a bad guy and I really do think Char was fond of him. Makes Char's actions in 0079 all the more despicable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Shingeki 54

Levi made it look way too easy though Im glad even someone like him still falls victim to talking instead of just restraining and then talking later.

Im glad the wimpy soldier dude survived.

Thought Eren's friends would survive to the end, Armin's loss hurts, :(

Oct 25, 2017
Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life Episode 6 EngDub

lol at everyone buttering up the vice principal, but also lol at the random students going "this feels like a tv drama" and similarly, these are continuously the most polite and well to do delinquents.

Tetsuki laughing was amazing too. I cant get enough of Tetsuki and Chika.

And the club bonding moments is so pure and everything, the boys hugging chika after he said his grandfather gave him one was great and then blushing afterwards, awww.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
AoT - 53 & 54

T'was worth waiting 2 weeks instead to watch these in a row. Basically, starting with the planning of the suicide charge in the last third of ep53 and all throughout 54 was AoT (and WIT) at its best. Couldn't be happier that the suicide charge got the treatment it deserved. That speech by Erwin about the meaning of their sacrifices is just a thing of beauty. How couldn't you follow him after that? Besides Erwin, there were strong emotional beats for Levi, Floche, and Marlow. The latter's last moments were so relatable. But really, it felt like all the soldiers got their due and I love how the last 4 soldiers charging forward weren't even anyone we knew, yet their bravery was apparent. I really need shows with lots of war/fights and death to portray all that. "Fodder" characters should never feel as such.

Zeke vs Levi was A+ Imai sakuga and as swift and raw as I always imagined it. Giving that he's WIT's ace, I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in a few other money shots, too. Those being Mikasa blowing out Reiner and Eren cutting out Bertolt. But, dunno, I'll certainly be interested in the sakuga blog report on this episode, which I imagine is gonna be a thing.

Obviously, this was the episode of this season animation-wise and got the most focus in the production, with it being worked on from early on already. And it was rumored they were still struggling to actually finish it in time. Now, I just hope the production values don't take a massive nose-dive. As nice as all this was, it's the last couple episodes I'm most looking forward to and even if the big action stuff is largely over, I need quality here...

Oct 25, 2017
Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 5 EngDub

Pandora's box episode will definitely be my favorite of this show even if all we got was the antagonist resolving the plot on her own accord and Arita simply realizing that just because he can talk to the others doesnt mean he can understand them. Good one.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 20

This episode has the one-two punch of the show's biggest flaws: terrible one-episode villains, and an overarching moral dilemma that isn't actually much of a dilemma.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Man, i didnt expect bokutachi wa benkyou ga dekinai to be so funny. The VA are really good. Im unsure if i should buy the manga. Did anyone read them?
Also just bought the manga of Wotakoi, Kaguya-sama and Karakai Jouzu No Takagi-san.

i think i can see what genre im into right now....

It is taking what did work for most with Yuri Kuma and makes it a lot more approachable, at least to Ikuhara standards.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord S3 1-13

Binged all of it in one sitting. It was pretty good but Ains needs his ass kicked, the whole tomb does. They are very easy to root against lol. Pretty much all the regular human characters carry the actual weight of making me care about characters. Enri is great. I hate how at the end of S1 they implied that there was someone using magic strong enough to stop them, and at the start of S2 they had people who still haven't actually done anything in the story and seemed to have been forgotten about. I just want the answer on whether their are other players or anybody on the level of anyone in the tomb.

Anyways, series overall is okay. I would watch more if there was more to watch.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Overlord S3 1-13

Binged all of it in one sitting. It was pretty good but Ains needs his ass kicked, the whole tomb does. They are very easy to root against lol. Pretty much all the regular human characters carry the actual weight of making me care about characters. Enri is great. I hate how at the end of S1 they implied that there was someone using magic strong enough to stop them, and at the start of S2 they had people who still haven't actually done anything in the story and seemed to have been forgotten about. I just want the answer on whether their are other players or anybody on the level of anyone in the tomb.

Anyways, series overall is okay. I would watch more if there was more to watch.

You could read the light novel which is a lot further along. Lots of dragons, dwarves, and false flag operations. However, not a whole lot of defeats for the Tomb of Nazarick

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Monday and Carole join X-Factor 7

jOt5Pdg.jpg

4Zy7iUs.jpg

I wonder if at one point we'll get some kind of conflict between the two.

The scene between Angela and her Mama had some dark implications. I don't think she was abused, but hmmm? Mama seems to genuinely care for her at least.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Just recently started a Crunchyroll/VRV trial and a trial + free month of Funimation. Been watching Demon Slayer (pretty enjoyable shounen shenanigans, though not the most original thing out there) and revisiting Kino's Journey (the first series, which is one of my favorite anime shows and still holds up well) on the former.

I'm down for any reccomendations anyone wants to throw at me. I tend to get drawn to stuff with social and philosophical themes, as well as shows with an emphasis on mysteries or just plain ol' psychological mind-games.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Just recently started a Crunchyroll/VRV trial and a trial + free month of Funimation. Been watching Demon Slayer (pretty enjoyable shounen shenanigans, though not the most original thing out there) and revisiting Kino's Journey (the first series, which is one of my favorite anime shows and still holds up well) on the former.

I'm down for any reccomendations anyone wants to throw at me. I tend to get drawn to stuff with social and philosophical themes, as well as shows with an emphasis on mysteries or just plain ol' psychological mind-games.
I take it, by your av, that you've watched Mawaru Penguindrum ? Though it's not on those services I think ... Fate/Zero, Mononoke (tv series), Tatami Galaxy is some easy stuff to vouch for.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I take it, by your av, that you've watched Mawaru Penguindrum ? Though it's not on those services I think ... Fate/Zero, Mononoke (tv series), Tatami Galaxy is some easy stuff to vouch for.

I actually haven't, but I did find it on VRV's HIDIVE section, so that'll be fixed soon enough.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
AoT 54:

What an incredible episode. Their adaptation of this fight was just perfect. Will go down as one of the best episodes of the show. Incredible direction and animation work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.