• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Amy recalling her own experience with sexual harassment and assault was probably the highlight. Seeing her starting to tear up and seeing how distraught she was she couldn't help another woman with her own assault really brought it home. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far this season/

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What a great episode. The Amy/Jake scene was easily one of the best in the series.

Not only does Brooklyn Nine-Nine remain one of the most consistent series on television, they have now tackled three incredible serious issues (racial profiling, coming out to your family, sexual harassment) in the best way a sitcom could.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I felt they handled the issue really well. It's not often when the show gets serious, but when they do it turns out well.

I knew she looked familiar, but didn't Briga Heelan at first as the woman Amy was trying to help.

Oct 25, 2017
I ultimately felt like this was an episode that strayed a bit too far into "very special" territory, especially when compared to previous "message" eps Brooklyn Nine-Nine has done, particularly "Moo Moo". Jake suddenly getting dumbed down felt weird considering he's always been good about progressive issues—suddenly he's never watched a feminist documentary? The ending was what particularly felt off for me—Rosa congratulates Amy, but everything Rosa predicted would happen did happen (and we just missed all the courtroom sliming that would make the end of this land much worse) and they only won because of a finance asshole who wanted a leg up. I highly doubt things are going to work out so well for the woman she inspired to come forward at the end (especially with the unfortunate line that can be drawn to how black women especially have it much harder in that arena.) I appreciated parts of it—like Amy conveying to Jake how much inane dumb stuff she has to deal with on a regular basis—as something that the show hadn't done before, but it just started feeling too didactic.

"Moo Moo" worked in part because it didn't try to have a "good" ending. It was a bittersweet one with the victory being one of personal integrity. Here the episode tries to have its cake and eat it too.

(I think the other reason "Moo Moo" worked better was that dealing with racism and homophobia was always part of Holt's story and they regularly had flashbacks to it. Sexual assault and harassment just isn't in the show's DNA the same way—otherwise Boyle's creepy pursuit of Rosa, or Gina's consistent harassment of Terry, or the whole Hitchcock and Scully thing would not be sources of humor.)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
or the whole Hitchcock and Scully thing would not be sources of humor.)

Speaking of which, I was a little uncomfortable beforehand with how Hitchcock would handle these things, given he strays into uncomfortable territory at times. The show absolutely hanging a lampshade on that with "Hitchcock, this isn't your week", and having him vanish for the rest of the episode, probably one of the smartest things it did.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, I was a little uncomfortable beforehand with how Hitchcock would handle these things, given he strays into uncomfortable territory at times. The show absolutely hanging a lampshade on that with "Hitchcock, this isn't your week", and having him vanish for the rest of the episode, probably one of the smartest things it did.

Hitchcock and Scully are kind of weird. They're shown to actually be competent cops who just don't feel like working, but they're also shown to have an utter lack of social graces and stuff that would be sexual harassment territory (and they love "cuck".) Yet at other points they demonstrate that they are actually pretty liberal in their attitudes (pretty sure he's pulled 'get woke' moments on the rest of the cast at times.) I'm not really sure if you can argue that's a deep, rich character with quirks versus Hitchcock and Scully being the most malleable for jokes.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to laugh at Lin Manuel Miranda doing the elbow attack dance that Mac does on It's Always Sunny.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at all those behind the scenes photos, Miranda obviously had so much fun just being on set for this.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the 3rd time they've had Holt go undercover or try and pretend to be a straight man and its always hilarious how he tries to describe his attraction to women.

The whole undercover storyline was so great

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, this was an episode where I enjoyed the B story as much as the A one. Lmao@ Scully's audition costume and Boyle repeatedly giving Terry notes on his character.

Also Holt's impression of Elvis Presley during charades was great.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode. Love seeing Amy being competitive. Also seeing Jake roast her mom was amazing.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty clear when they found out they were getting picked up everybody went all-in. This season's been straight bangers.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Holt being such an obnoxious suck up is hard to watch but Terry's hilarious drawn on eyebrows are not. The exact opposite actually and I'm laughing my ass off.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The Florida episodes where he is describing ample bosoms is one of my favorite things.

"the tigh gap is the sexiest part of a women, nothing is hotter than the complete absense of a penis"

been rewatching it (again, as I tend to do) lately, one thing I really apreciate is there is no cliche sitcom "will they wont they" with Jake and Amy, you know they will from early on and they do at the end of season 2 (so, in the big picture given its on it's way to the seventh, prety early on) and havent split up since.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
People doing bad British accents is always funny to me.

The therapist turned out to be a Hannibal.

Rosa hiring an actress to play her girlfriend.

Actress: By any chance do you need some Molly?

Rosa: I'm a cop

Actress: End scene - I am now out of character and do not sell drugs

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I was so sure the therapist was actually going to be the husband and that the one Jake talked to was the real therapist.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I am really not liking this season. The characters are all less themselves and the majority of the jokes are flat... Huge meh for me

Oct 27, 2017
I am really not liking this season. The characters are all less themselves and the majority of the jokes are flat... Huge meh for me
Been thinking this a bit. This feels like a season 1 tbh. Like they are seeing up characters for people who aren't familiar with them. And I know they probably are, but it feels weird. Here's the episode that Holt learns to not be judgement. It's making the characters feel like they're regressing.

Hoping season two is better.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Been thinking this a bit. This feels like a season 1 tbh. Like they are seeing up characters for people who aren't familiar with them. And I know they probably are, but it feels weird. Here's the episode that Holt learns to not be judgement. It's making the characters feel like they're regressing.

Hoping season two is better.
Every long running show has to deal with making the characters actually growing ( otherwise it would be annoying and boring).

But this show chose the worst way. Everybody is compromising, Holt Is not Holt, Rosa is no aggressive at all, Jackie and Amy are know the exact same character ( seriously they are both goofy, weird and talk a lot).

Then we have the sarge that is taking the part of Boyle for some reason and Boyle ... Honestly he is not funny at all anymore, he is pathetic.

Usually what a series does is add characters or explore minor parts. We had a single good episode and it was the flashback episode of Scully and Hitchcock, thy should do more stuff like that.

I am really really not liking this season and it's a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.