Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Any pointers on what stats to prioritise when starting? I don't know if I will find the time for several playthroughs, so I kinda want to experience as much as possible the first time. I only know physical isn't that important to me.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any pointers on what stats to prioritise when starting? I don't know if I will find the time for several playthroughs, so I kinda want to experience as much as possible the first time. I only know physical isn't that important to me.
It doesn't matter *that* much. Clothing and thoughts can balance out your skills.

I would highly recommend going 5421 in any order. Maybe even 6321

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I went 3-6-1-2 and took Inland Empire. Trying to live out my Agent Cooper fantasies. This game is really something special.
Speaking of David Lynch, the fact that this game has an actual stat called Inland Empire says a lot about the game imo. I love it.

(not sure if the devs have explicitly stated that they were referencing Lynch there, but the writing and atmosphere in Disco feel like kindred spirits with Lynch's work to me)

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of David Lynch, the fact that this game has an actual stat called Inland Empire says a lot about the game imo. I love it.

(not sure if the devs have explicitly stated that they were referencing Lynch there, but the writing and atmosphere in Disco feel like kindred spirits with Lynch's work to me)
They described it as the "Lynchian skill" on their dev blog before.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I really like how Kim is written as a character. It'd be easy for him to just be the overly serious straight man to your antics, and while he is that there's a lot of hints at other dimensions that make him into a really well-rounded character. Dorking out with him about cool machines is great.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

About 10 hours in (or 02:00 day 1 if you will), I've been leveling Perception and Interfacing, which seems to "open doors". (Playing a 5-3-1-4, Logic). I'm sure there most skills are useful, but those are the ones I've defacto leveled.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
They described it as the "Lynchian skill" on their dev blog before.
RG0BS1U.gif

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like how Kim is written as a character. It'd be easy for him to just be the overly serious straight man to your antics, and while he is that there's a lot of hints at other dimensions that make him into a really well-rounded character. Dorking out with him about cool machines is great.
I really liked the moment I met one of the gross lorry drivers who welcomed us by saying "Welcome to this city", and Kim snapped because he understood the racist undertone of the greeting that neither me nor my character perceived.
That was a very special "maybe this guy is also a human being" dialogue.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I really liked the moment I met one of the gross lorry drivers who welcomed us by saying "Welcome to this city", and Kim snapped because he understood the racist undertone of the greeting that neither me nor my character perceived.
That was a very special "maybe this guy is also a human being" dialogue.
Yeah, that was the exact moment where I was like "oh this guy's actually got a pretty interesting inner life". This is the best written game I've played in a LONG time.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving the game so far but need some help with the first night finding somewhere to sleep dilemma. It's after midnight and I don't have the option of getting rid of my partner for the evening or using the bench to speed up time. Hope I'm not stuck waiting till morning as there isn't a soul around or anything open to get anything done :(

Any help appreciated!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kim is the first NPC I've gotten emotionally invested in gaining the approval of in at least a decade.

I would probably be playing a much crazier cop if not for him.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Kim so much I tried to share a sandwich with him. It went about as well as you'd expect:

5gJdGDB.png

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yeah! I have been thinking about this a lot.

Lynch fans should definitely, defitely check this out!

On another note, I camt get over how amazing the opening of this game is, just before you wake up. I fucking absolutely loved that.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the game so far but need some help with the first night finding somewhere to sleep dilemma. It's after midnight and I don't have the option of getting rid of my partner for the evening or using the bench to speed up time. Hope I'm not stuck waiting till morning as there isn't a soul around or anything open to get anything done :(

Any help appreciated!

You need to go to your room. Have Kim not spoken to you about this? Make sure he knows you ain't got no money.

He should have something in his car that can help you.

The "Pay for the damages" quest should guide you right to it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Alright, so far I had my tie telling me I had too much imagination while talking to a corpse, I stroked and talked gently to a letter box, that insane race theorist dude went ham on me with his communist stuff, I sensed a world of darkness behind curtains, the game broke the 4th wall, and I got tricked into believing I died after literally passing out because of a flashback

Oh yeah and a book decided to pass a test of knowledge with me which prompted a pretty hilarious state of affairs with Encyclopedia

And I'm still NOT done with the first day

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, some of the dialogue in Disco Elysium I straight up do not understand. Well, it was one person specifaclly, maybe it was the intention to not understand it fully

he racist

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Really impressed so far. The writing is on point for sure. Some crpg's are just too verbose and can be offputting. Not the case here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Should I be focusing on skills I am low in or upgrading skills I'm already 5/6 into?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
You need to go to your room. Have Kim not spoken to you about this? Make sure he knows you ain't got no money.

He should have something in his car that can help you.

The "Pay for the damages" quest should guide you right to it.

Only thing this did was have me radio the police station asking for more funds which didn't go well. Only thing I can think of is the pry bar but no idea where to use that, doesn't work on the hotel room door. Yes, Kim already discussed sleep with me. I read you are able to split up with him after 7:00 but I don't have that option, wondering if I missed the opportunity and now have to wait.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing this did was have me radio the police station asking for more funds which didn't go well. Only thing I can think of is the pry bar but no idea where to use that, doesn't work on the hotel room door. Yes, Kim already discussed sleep with me. I read you are able to split up with him after 7:00 but I don't have that option, wondering if I missed the opportunity and now have to wait.

If you go to your Room after 2200 and click on the door he should tell you to come out to his car so he can give you something to pay for your debt with

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If you go to your Room after 2200 and click on the door he should tell you to come out to his car so he can give you something to pay for your debt with

My game is at 2:00 am on "day 1" and nothing happens with Kim dialogue wise when going back to the room/hotel or engaging with the manager again. I think I missed it :(

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
A steam controller is absolutely the best way to play this on a tv and anyone who primarily games on a tv with a pc should own one.

Gamestop has preowned ones and steam sells then themselves tho not on sale currently

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Tempted to restart game, even though I have played around 3-4 so far, I was in rush starting up yesterday and I seemed to skim reading a bit too much for my liking . Especially the the self conscious stuff.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
My game is at 2:00 am on "day 1" and nothing happens with Kim dialogue wise when going back to the room/hotel or engaging with the manager again. I think I missed it :(

This sounds like a bug, I can't imagine they mean you to miss this. Everything is set up so you can do this at any time of night.

What state is your "Pay for damages" quest in, what have you crossed off, and what if anything does it say to do?

Step two should be "Try negotiating with cafeteria manager". The exhange should go something like "Say about that money..." -> "I was wondering if we can arrange something..." -> "This conversation isn't going anywhere, is it?" at which time Kim should chime in and say he's got something in his "motor carriage".

QKH2CRZ.png

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a bug, I can't imagine they mean you to miss this. Everything is set up so you can do this at any time of night.

What state is your "Pay the damages" quest in, what have you crossed off, and what if anything does it say to do?

Only thing crossed off is "ask your station for additional funds". It says to ask around for money, be careful how you spend it, ask Garte for how much you owe etc. Thinking this is a bug and I've got some back tracking to do from an older save.

Oh and I have the end of day debrief with Kim in my tasks, but when I go to the balcony there isn't any new dialogue options with him.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Man...
I played the first 2 hours and well, the writing and voice acting is on a level I have only ever seen 1 other time - Planescape Torment.
It's just stunning to read the dialogue and overwhelmingly engrossing, intriguing, and I can't take my eyes off it.
I went with 4422 for my stats and it's been ok so far.
money seems hard to come by!
Failing on skill checks I'm not even reloading because the fail state repercussions are so interesting.
The graphics look like a painting. The setting reminds me of Dishonored somehow. Music and environmental sounds are spectacular.

I really am just jaw open shocked at how great Disco Elysium is. Impeccable.
Very likely GOTY and seriously a rare thing in the game world. I have a feeling this is going to go down as a gaming classic.
10/10 can't wait to play all night!

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I love Kim so much I tried to share a sandwich with him. It went about as well as you'd expect:

5gJdGDB.png

Definitely love moments like this. There was one about the ledger where I found there's like 13 perforations on it and my dialogue option was like "hell yeah". And then the response is like, "Hell yeah what? You don't even know what that means". It's hilarious.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and I have the end of day debrief with Kim in my tasks, but when I go to the balcony there isn't any new dialogue options with him.

The debrief is scripted to happen when you've paid for the room and is about to turn in for the night.

Though looking at my old save I don't understand how you know to go to the balcony, I don't see the Debrief as a quest entry at all. It's added to the journal (for me) when you've paid the room and click to open it. It's specifically not added if you haven't paid for the room, then clicking the door just rattles a bit since it has electronically locked you out.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
This game is so so good. A LOT of favourite bits, mostly the subtle writing around the lead character being this ridiculous, awful buffoon
but the ongoing hints at a much more tragic reality

However one moment stood out for me, where I critical successed (double six roll) a 3% success chance on 'persuading a shipping container to open'':

On persuading it to open, I met a man so staggeringly rich inside he warped light itself. And had to persuade him to cough up 3 real as a handout, with him excusing himself that he never carried money anymore, and travelled by shipping container to seek peace from those trying to get hand outs. But seconds later persuaded him to to 'invest' 100 real in my mad business plan i made up on the spot.

Oct 25, 2017
It's in-sane to me that this is the first game from a complete no-name developer from Estonia.
Not even just the writing that puts basically every game from the last decade to shame, the systems, the art, how often the dialogue references seemingly inane actions...it's absolutely insane

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I really regret one decision so far

Pissing off Cuno so that he wont talk to me anymore. There are so many quests involving him. I almost want to restart but I gotta own up to my actions I guess lol

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
I really regret one decision so far

Pissing off Cuno so that he wont talk to me anymore. There are so many quests involving him. I almost want to restart but I gotta own up to my actions I guess lol
I didn't even talk to him until after the autopsy because I just didn't want to deal. Did you
punch him?
He's definitely a more impactful character than it appears at first.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Empathy, I do not appreciate you chiming in to tell me how disappointed in me Kim is at any given time. I'm just a Sorry Cop trying my best.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I appear to have soft-locked myself out of continuing the main story. Can't find a means to bypass it yet.
I am meant to buy a tape player at the pawn shop to listen to a tape given by the Hardie boys but the dialogue to buy it never appears. It's just an infinite loop of asking Roy if the decks work or not.
Other than this the game is great. Might hang it up for a bit for bug fixes and whatnot.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Question for people about the ledger:

Are your detective's stats randomized based on how you're playing/your base stats? I've been on the force 18 years, have over 200 cases solved and only 3 kills. Is this the same for everyone? I took low physical and high mental stats to start so I'm wondering if I'm more of a brute and have been angrier if I have more kills in my past and less cases solved.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Question for people about the ledger:

Are your detective's stats randomized based on how you're playing/your base stats? I've been on the force 18 years, have over 200 cases solved and only 3 kills. Is this the same for everyone? I took low physical and high mental stats to start so I'm wondering if I'm more of a brute and have been angrier if I have more kills in my past and less cases solved.

That doesn't change to my knowledge.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
A steam controller is absolutely the best way to play this on a tv and anyone who primarily games on a tv with a pc should own one.

Gamestop has preowned ones and steam sells then themselves tho not on sale currently

It is the first game I have really dug into using my steam controller with. It's so good to be able to play on the TV away from the office and with a bit of configuration it is working well. The text size options also really help to improve the font at a distance for 95% of the text (it's just a shame about that other 5 % - mostly the inventory & skill descriptions).

The game is just brilliant. The only downside is my own indecisiveness to play a particularly bold character, I play the majority of games as a pretty boring and good-aligned character and I feel this really wants you to branch out into...something...else. Certainly my problem more than the game as I just don't know how crazy I want to get with it.

This is definitely a low key GOTY.

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
I appear to have soft-locked myself out of continuing the main story. Can't find a means to bypass it yet.
I am meant to buy a tape player at the pawn shop to listen to a tape given by the Hardie boys but the dialogue to buy it never appears. It's just an infinite loop of asking Roy if the decks work or not.
Other than this the game is great. Might hang it up for a bit for bug fixes and whatnot.
Click on the actual item. Then you can buy it.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing crossed off is "ask your station for additional funds". It says to ask around for money, be careful how you spend it, ask Garte for how much you owe etc. Thinking this is a bug and I've got some back tracking to do from an older save.

I literally have the same issue as you and I believe I've tried every option with the motor carriage, and I've gone to the hotel room and balcony with no prompt. I also talked to Garte a bunch as well. I'm not sure what I missed since Kim never said anything. It's 02:00 for me on day 1, I'll try booting up the game again to double check all the quest text and dialogue options.

Status
Not open for further replies.