• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Ok so it's kind of a weird comparison but currently I'm playing through this freaking masterpiece AND I'm in the middle of a Bojack Horseman binge fest and I've gotta say that while, plot-wise, these two pieces of media aren't even remotely similar to each other, oh boy do the lead characters of both remind me of each other. Hearing about the past of our whacky detective, the shitty things he's done and the way literally everyone in the story just expects the player to be a complete fuckup really reminds me of Bojack and vice-versa. It probably doesn't help that I've been declared as a sorry cop by the game lol.

Experiencing the game and the show simultaneously is also kinda bumming me out, but at the same time they both have some achingly beautiful observations about life and the mistakes me make in it. Still, I think I'll need to play Animal Crossing or some other therapeutic game like that to counter balance the overwhelming amounts of self-deprecation these two darlings are giving me.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok so it's kind of a weird comparison but currently I'm playing through this freaking masterpiece AND I'm in the middle of a Bojack Horseman binge fest and I've gotta say that while, plot-wise, these two pieces of media aren't even remotely similar to each other, oh boy do the lead characters of both remind me of each other. Hearing about the past of our whacky detective, the shitty things he's done and the way literally everyone in the story just expects the player to be a complete fuckup really reminds me of Bojack and vice-versa. It probably doesn't help that I've been declared as a sorry cop by the game lol.

Experiencing the game and the show simultaneously is also kinda bumming me out, but at the same time they both have some achingly beautiful observations about life and the mistakes me make in it. Still, I think I'll need to play Animal Crossing or some other therapeutic game like that to counter balance the overwhelming amounts of self-deprecation these two darlings are giving me.
Yup, I noticed some parallels there for sure.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
This is how I would rank the character sheets
my-image.png

Jul 24, 2018
The only other one I can think of is Kim's pen, which you can "borrow" from him when initially writing up the case in your ledger.
I finally found out what the issue was. I couldn't forge the signature until the waterway to the fishing village was open which makes sense as Evrart would easily be able to tell you've faked the signaturens since all entry to the village was blocked.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I just bought this but i'm struggling with it.

I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just doing whatever the hell I feel like and exploring randomly but I feel I'm getting nowhere with it. Some guy almost killed me (measurehead?) because I got tired of his racist nonsense and tried hitting him with my crowbar. I had 1 bar of life left but when i kept dying doing nothing...i tried talking to some guy and died. I tried going to buy an item at Friggititetiei to heal myself and died.

Also, i've levelled up some stats but i don't get what the 4 main stats are or how i level them up? WTF are thoughts in the thought cabinet? i keep getting notifications at my inventory but every time i click it there is nothing new.

I feel like i'm going in circles. I think I'll stick with it another few hours but I really can't settle into it.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought this but i'm struggling with it.

I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just doing whatever the hell I feel like and exploring randomly but I feel I'm getting nowhere with it. Some guy almost killed me (measurehead?) because I got tired of his racist nonsense and tried hitting him with my crowbar. I had 1 bar of life left but when i kept dying doing nothing...i tried talking to some guy and died. I tried going to buy an item at Friggititetiei to heal myself and died.

Also, i've levelled up some stats but i don't get what the 4 main stats are or how i level them up? WTF are thoughts in the thought cabinet? i keep getting notifications at my inventory but every time i click it there is nothing new.

I feel like i'm going in circles. I think I'll stick with it another few hours but I really can't settle into it.
There are definitely ways to progress without dealing with measurehead. It might be a bit difficult to find though.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You can't directly level up the 4 main stats, rather the skills within them. Your stat for each of Intellect/Psyche/Physique/Motorics is how many points you can put into their relevant skills. I can recommend putting at least another point into Endurance and Volition, as they give you more bars of Health/Morale respectively (if you feel like you don't have enough).

Also bear in mind that when you take damage during a conversation, you can heal up by pressing the Plus icons above the relevant healthbar (if you've got healing items) and you can do this literally at any time, even mid conversation. The game doesn't outright explain this but it's vital to surviving while you've only got 1 Health/Morale.

The Thought Cabinet is basically a research screen: you can equip a Thought in a slot (called Internalizing) and it will develop over a period of in-game time, which varies for different Thoughts but is always given when you select the Thought. While it's Internalizing, you will have a debuff, usually to your skills. Once it's finished, it becomes locked into the slot and will give you a buff/debuff (usually both) that will stay with you until you use a skill point to remove the Thought permanently. You can also use skill points to get more slots for your Thoughts.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Honestly I thought the "difficulty" was perfect as-is, glad to see them continue to support the game though.

So far in my second playthrough I have noticed that there are quite a few lines of dialogue and little scenarios you can only see via failed checks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i ended up getting a refund. i just couldn't get into this. it feels more like reading a book than playing a game. i love games where there is lots of text (baldurs gate, poe, divinity, planescape, etc) but this was just too much for me. i had no idea WTF is going on. a lot of the text feels unnecessary and pretentious. Steam says they will give you 2 hours of game but i was well over that and they gave me my money back.

i really wanted to like it but just didn't enjoy it. oh well :)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i ended up getting a refund. i just couldn't get into this. it feels more like reading a book than playing a game. i love games where there is lots of text (baldurs gate, poe, divinity, planescape, etc) but this was just too much for me. i had no idea WTF is going on. a lot of the text feels unnecessary and pretentious. Steam says they will give you 2 hours of game but i was well over that and they gave me my money back.

I mean it is literally a game in the Planescape: Torment style, but it's fine if you weren't feeling it. The themes were a bit different and not for everyone.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What's with the influx of negative reviews on steam? Recent reviews is only mostly positive whereas before it was nearly always overwhelmingly positive. I'm assuming that more people are picking it up due to the sale but it seems like there's a lot more negativity than usual.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just started this. I'm trying to be a decent guy with all my choices and avoid acting deranged. I'm also shying away from checks with a low chance of success. Feels like I'm not getting some of the best content playing this way, but I just feel inclined to play in a way where my character isn't a total piece of shit.

Very cool so far either way!

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's with the influx of negative reviews on steam? Recent reviews is only mostly positive whereas before it was nearly always overwhelmingly positive. I'm assuming that more people are picking it up due to the sale but it seems like there's a lot more negativity than usual.
I'm seeing 93% recent vs 95% total, doesn't seem like a big difference.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My 1st impression is kinda similar and I generally don't have an issue with games like Planescape Torment or visual novels. I'm probably enjoying it more than you but it's a tad slowly paced, as some of the text just seems unnecessary. I think I'll stick with it though, especially since it's a <20h game. As far as I can tell this is a mix between a point and click adventure and a visual novel, and if it were a bit more tightly paced, I'd really dig it.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm nearing the end and am trying to tie up loose ends. Only problem is that I recently
Became sober so I can't level abilities past their cap.
I guess failing certain white checks towards the end is just tough luck if your skills are maxed?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm nearing the end and am trying to tie up loose ends. Only problem is that I recently
Became sober so I can't level abilities past their cap.
I guess failing certain white checks towards the end is just tough luck if your skills are maxed?
Pretty much, unless you have any other ways of opening the checks again. Sometimes talking to other people or doing something relevant will also open them up again.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, unless you have any other ways of opening the checks again. Sometimes talking to other people or doing something relevant will also open them up again.

Bummer, but expected. Unfortunately I've already
gotten dice and maxed my thought cabinet space. It's the frozen shut fridge, and I can't level up physical instrument anymore.

hopefully it isn't a huge omission if I just finish without beating it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I finally gave in and bought this the other day since it looks like it won't be going lower than 20% off any time soon (*knock on wood*). I'm really impressed so far with the variety but man do I wish it autosaved more often. :*( I lost about 40 minutes of play time last night after I "died" a morale death. Didn't know that was a thing to be honest.. I touched a homeless guy's coat or something like that with only a 27% chance of success and that was that -- it somehow lowered my morale a second time. I don't even really know what happened to cause me to lose my 2nd point since I was so in shock at it happening.

My biggest gripe is that the auto save seems incredibly sporadic and only doing 1 slot feels very antiquated.. most games seem to have 3-4 now to give you a chance to go back a little if you'd like. I'll be more diligent about manually saving it at this point. Oh well, I'll just have to plow through the stuff I did again but lesson learned!

The Thought Cabinet is basically a research screen: you can equip a Thought in a slot (called Internalizing) and it will develop over a period of in-game time, which varies for different Thoughts but is always given when you select the Thought. While it's Internalizing, you will have a debuff, usually to your skills. Once it's finished, it becomes locked into the slot and will give you a buff/debuff (usually both) that will stay with you until you use a skill point to remove the Thought permanently. You can also use skill points to get more slots for your Thoughts.
Man, I have done nothing with this stuff.. the internalize mechanic is not spelled out well at all. Hell, your explanation of it is incredibly confusing and I'm sure that's not on you, haha. I guess I'll have to look into this tonight.. missed out on some free points I suppose! Probably played for about 8 hours or so at this point.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I finally gave in and bought this the other day since it looks like it won't be going lower than 20% off any time soon (*knock on wood*). I'm really impressed so far with the variety but man do I wish it autosaved more often. :*( I lost about 40 minutes of play time last night after I "died" a morale death. Didn't know that was a thing to be honest.. I touched a homeless guy's coat or something like that with only a 27% chance of success and that was that -- it somehow lowered my morale a second time. I don't even really know what happened to cause me to lose my 2nd point since I was so in shock at it happening.

My biggest gripe is that the auto save seems incredibly sporadic and only doing 1 slot feels very antiquated.. most games seem to have 3-4 now to give you a chance to go back a little if you'd like. I'll be more diligent about manually saving it at this point. Oh well, I'll just have to plow through the stuff I did again but lesson learned!

Man, I have done nothing with this stuff.. the internalize mechanic is not spelled out well at all. Hell, your explanation of it is incredibly confusing and I'm sure that's not on you, haha. I guess I'll have to look into this tonight.. missed out on some free points I suppose! Probably played for about 8 hours or so at this point.

my general strategy was to prioritize thought cabinet because it takes time to unlock and because the effects are usually better the longer they're active. Then, just use remaining skill points to reopen failed checks.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really, really enjoying the game right now. It's

60% Walking Sim
30% Adventure
10% CRPG

and that's one interesting mix. The art design and the writing are fantastic. The music is excellent too.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
my general strategy was to prioritize thought cabinet because it takes time to unlock and because the effects are usually better the longer they're active. Then, just use remaining skill points to reopen failed checks.

The game's perfectly doable without them too. abellwillring I wouldn't stress too much about optimal Thought Cabinet usage, there's some useful stuff in there but nothing critical.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to figure out how to best approach this question because I don't want to be spoiled.

That being said, is it possible to get "stuck" in this game. Like, is there a scenario wherein theory I can't progress any further and need to restart?

I am at a late stage in the game where I feel like I have exhausted all my options to make progress.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am trying to figure out how to best approach this question because I don't want to be spoiled.

That being said, is it possible to get "stuck" in this game. Like, is there a scenario wherein theory I can't progress any further and need to restart?

I am at a late stage in the game where I feel like I have exhausted all my options to make progress.
Maybe? I think it used to be able to get stuck at the end of the second day, but I thought they fixed it.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I'm at approximately 1:50 a.m. on Monday and if this game keeps it up, it's GOTY as fuck for me.

Quick question, though. Can someone drop a hint as to where I can find the music cassette for one of the side activities? I have the empty cassette, I think it's related?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm at approximately 1:50 a.m. on Monday and if this game keeps it up, it's GOTY as fuck for me.

Quick question, though. Can someone drop a hint as to where I can find the music cassette for one of the side activities? I have the empty cassette, I think it's related?
There's a bunch of pieces(IIRC), you won't be able to get it before day 3, so chill.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, but I felt that it was exclusive fullscreen for me?

Edit: I did just learn that you can press Esc on the main menu to hide the UI and look at the amazing background.

with the fast alt tabbing and stuttering, plus after consulting a few wikis, I'm fairly certain it's borderless unfortunately. But that UI hide is dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.