• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
It's so tempting to roll with a shivers / inland empire type character right off the bat, but with how replayable the game sounds it might be fun to try an Arnold Rimmer-esque oblivious jackass with a high sense of authority and moral superiority with nothing to back it up whatsoever except a lot of bluster.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say this. The game is insanely replayable with how the skills work. No matter what you pick from the start I think folks will find themselves very fluid as they play changing as the story changes.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to play it for myself before really judging but man so far this just might be the game that dethrones torment as the top well written video game.

Feb 12, 2019
This game wasn't on my radar until like a month ago, but now it's probably one of the last games I'm excited about for the year. Not sure what kind of cop I want to play yet, but I think I generally want to make things as weird as possible, which clearly means dumping everything into Inland Empire.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
That OP definitely has me intrigued, I remember hearing about this in the past but never really looked into it. Definitely on my radar now though, might have to pick it up this weekend or something.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Were the combat/confrontation sequences as dynamic as the devs made them seem in their plans for approaching action?
no-truce-3tent.jpg
This screenshot always got me excited for their potential approach from the first announcement; seemed very intimate and dynamic

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were the combat/confrontation sequences as dynamic as the devs made them seem in their plans for approaching action?

This screenshot always got me excited for their potential approach from the first announcement; seemed very intimate and dynamic
For me they were...dude I had one where a guy killed me by crushing my arm because I refused to say I was a SHIT Cop.

I also died from reading a book. Ya...that happened

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's not too much about the combat in that one, but this is always nice to read:
First, the vast majority of text in the game is pure dialogue, with a rather simple and "everyday" flow to it. You won't meet any of NuTorment's instances of purple prose in which we read 40 lines of text regarding "how the sun gleefully bounces off the sensually chiseled curves of a pink marble table during a melancholic spring afternoon" or something tiring and cringe-worthy like that.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So excited for this but unfortunately my game PC's hdd died, are they planning to port it to other platforms?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this. The game is insanely replayable with how the skills work. No matter what you pick from the start I think folks will find themselves very fluid as they play changing as the story changes.
It seems like a game where you really can't go wrong whatever build you go with.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Rated it a Buy. It does have some issues but it is simply hilariously out there, great narrative, love the skills system. Just insane.

I love how your review mentions that the game will likely kick the s**t out of every belief system out there. The good, the bad and the ugly.

At first I had anxiety about how outraged some might be, from a mere marketing standpoint. But then I realized that I don't give a crap as it appears to be handled with nuance & depth.

Surface skimmers might find themselves ruffled, but I'm ecstatic by the prospect of philosophies boldly unpacked head-on with zero flinch.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I've followed this off and on since it still had the old name, and man....it looks like it's turned out to be incredible. Every bit of review coverage only makes me want to buy it more. Think I'm going to be picking it up this week. This looks unmissable.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surface skimmers might find themselves ruffled, but I'm ecstatic by the prospect of philosophies boldly unpacked head-on with zero flinch.
This is pretty much exactly it.
Things can be decidedly rough if you just were to watch one thing and bounce off. I expect no end of outrage from some of it though. I won't read any of it..as I will be busy playing games lol.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll do my first playthrough 1:1 based on my own personal instincts and personality.

Then I'll fire it up again as a straight-up degenerate psychopath.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This right here.

So refreshing to see some back to back titles that put writing first above all and somehow manage to follow it up with delicious audio/visual packages.

What a glorious time to be alive.

What's further in humanity's quest for knowledge? Seeking the kingdom of the dead where no mortal should test the snarling beasts and grinding bureaucracy of the great beyond....or managing to stay sober enough to hand out parking tickets?

WE SHALL FIND OUT!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've almost completely ignored this game aside from its semi-disappointing name change. Recent comparisons to Planescape Torment(!) and the positive reviews mean I'm probably buying on day one.
Is port begging allowed?
Not in OTs or places where it'll distract from the thread premise.

In related news, it'd be nice to have a general purpose port begging thread!

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Ooo must check out Fallen London!
Fallen London is amazing for the first few days and then they really start digging into your actions to the point where advancing the story can literally take days even with a subscription.

Give it a go but if you hit that wall I highly recommend just getting into Sunless Seas and Skies which take place in the same universe and have the same amazing writing, without the browser based grinding.

Of course Fallen London is just something you check in your browser a few times a day but can get frustrating once you really get into a plotline.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
From what I understand, time passes in-game as you talk to people and do things...are you under a time limit to complete quests, including the main quest? (i.e. a maximum number of in-game days)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen London is amazing for the first few days and then they really start digging into your actions to the point where advancing the story can literally take days even with a subscription.

Give it a go but if you hit that wall I highly recommend just getting into Sunless Seas and Skies which take place in the same universe and have the same amazing writing, without the browser based grinding.

Of course Fallen London is just something you check in your browser a few times a day but can get frustrating once you really get into a plotline.
I used Fallen London since that game is all text but Sunless Seas/Skies are just as valid. Disco Elysium's approach to stats seems reminiscent of those games' piecemeal stat-based character building

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My friend is a Fallen London nut. I keep trying to get him to look into this game but he keeps saying he has no time for new games. His loss.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad people seem to like the game so far, been looking forward to it for years. Only 13 more hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.