FocusedCaringAngelfish-max-14mb.gif

turmoil7

Community Resettler - Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
If I were scum I would kill rac just to give him the satisfaction

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Blarg

Tl;dr: I give Blarg a slight town read. I was gathering up a lot of posts about his role, but I don't want to give scum the answer. I've omitted that information and they can do the legwork on their own. Unfortunately, some of that is also why I think he's probably town, but take my word for it.

Bet Blargonaut, 1500, you will not beat me in a game of tic-tac-toe

Should probably highlight that
Bet TheChuggernaut ACCEPTED

where
So to A's credit up above there, the fact that Blarg went all in on a game of TTT - and threw the game at that - means any potential ability Blarg has is not tied to making bets.

The plan is simple, give Chuggs all the cash and Pop-Tart immunity and once he feels safe within a false sense of security steal everything from him whilst ensuring he isn't attacked and/or killed during the attempt
Floats the idea of stealing from Chuggs, which again I do not expect scum would put out there seriously like this.

UNVOTE: Faddy

VOTE: LaunchpadMcQ
I have seen town!Blarg do this before - a pressure vote to see if I'll buckle.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
i think that Blarg reread is the last thing I'll be able to do before day start, but I'll update this list in case I end up dead

Strong Town
Kyan
Maol
Dr. Monkey
donna

Slight Town
VA
Pancakes
Chugg
wee
ATP
Blarg

Null
A
Reki
Neeks
Stan
Fat4All
LP
rac
Hedin
turm
Blarg
Sparks

slight scum
Zipped

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't disagree with anyone on your list, I would ask how strongly you feel about these reads?

From my perspective, I'm starting to get worried because there are an alarmingly few number of players I am getting anything suspicious out of, which makes me think we are working with a scum team that is better at blending than Faddy was. Hawthorn was my second strongest scum read, and I don't have much after that; just a bunch of town reads.
I'll talk about my reads in a little bit. I fell asleep last night before I came back, so I have some catching up to do. But I want to engage this. What's about about it? What's about about having more town reads in a game where, mathematically, there's more town than not?

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'll talk about my reads in a little bit. I fell asleep last night before I came back, so I have some catching up to do. But I want to engage this. What's about about it? What's about about having more town reads in a game where, mathematically, there's more town than not?
uh, well, I never thought about it that way, but that makes a lot of sense :|

You clearly don't agree with my list, so why did you post that you didn't disagree with my town list?
Not disagreeing just meant I didn't have anything to refute the ones I didn't think belonged there. I don't have anything to add for those that are not on our shared town list.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Not disagreeing just meant I didn't have anything to refute the ones I didn't think belonged there. I don't have anything to add for those that are not on our shared town list.
But if you have some of these people as null, doesn't it mean you don't think they should be marked as town?

Also your list doesn't have that many town reads - it's just missing scumreads. The only one you have is Zipped, who honestly, is generally universally scumread in every game until or unless there's a strong reason to think he's town. I also don't understand some of your nulls - there's plenty to read some of those folks on. Mainly I'm curious why Maol is strong town but turmoil is null. If you've explained this and I haven't seen it yet, please link me.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Question for everyone; do you see meanie!LP - purposefully or not - avoiding to post until the very end there? Doesn't make sense in my head. Like, there's the meme and then there's having some consideration for your teammates.
Literally NAI in that we have no way of knowing if he was avoiding the thread or was just honestly not around.

The only thing curious about it is that you would assume avoidance, really. Why did you go to that?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Zipped

Tl;dr: relies meta reads to inform opinion on Hawthorn. Votes Hawthorn for majority of D1, then jumps to turm for day end once Hawthorn/nin have claimed. Does not directly interact with Faddy at all, and very rarely references him. Zipped and turm are likely not scum together. Overall, I find Zipped pretty suspect.

This is a weird train of thought that I can't make heads or tails out of. What does Zipped gain from this trust exercise? Is this related to his role ability? Is it just for fun?

The explanation doesn't really clarify. No conclusion here from me, just a weird thing to point out.

Uses past experiences with Hawthorn, Blarg, and me to define reads. I think there's a line between using a meta read and just saying "I've been burned before", but that might be splitting hairs. Zipped rides that Hawthorn check all the way to the bank. I'm not sure if it's scum play, but it's definitely bad play. This is going to point out flaws in my own Hawthorn read, but Hawthorn was the lowest poster after LP. Why not move to literally anyone else who has been more active sooner? It could be because the only other wagon with traction - Faddy - was a scum teammate.

Zipped avoids providing a read on Kyan. He is possibly trying to avoid committing to a read, since whatever information I have might make Zipped look bad later down the road.

Zipped makes sure to jump off the Hawthorn train before it derails. Zipped jumps to turm here on the basis that turm defended Faddy, but does not address any of the other players, like Chugg, who also defended Faddy. The inconsistency in applying that logic to other players makes me believe that Zipped was grasping for a reason to get off the Hawthorn train at the last minute because he was aware that the lovers claim would turn out to be true.
What in this actually justifies a scum read, though? You have summary of Zipped's actions (so, information) and your judgements (analysis) are a) "weird" and b) "inconsistent this one time." And then a "possibly avoiding Kyan." It's also d1. Is it scummy to not read people? If so, you are scummy, right? You have a whole pile of nulls.

I think we all know town has a tendency to be inconsistent. So, Launch, what I really want to know is: why is this the MOST suspicious person in the thread for you?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid. If you flip Hawthorn and nin and they're both Town, you literally have a ton of ammo to go after people like Saw and me, but you're all instead so risk averse that you're going for a flip that gives fuck all info after their flip.
I really want to unpack this.

So at the time, what, the alternative was Reki, right? Why is that a low info kill?

The Hawthorn/nin kill provided this:
1. Information on their roles and how bastard the game is. Except it doesn't. Someday we are going to learn not to jump to conclusions about game design, but today wasn't that day.*
2. Information about Faddy's movement - but Faddy was, y'know, scum, so that whole thing is just WIFOM. Could Faddy have been trying to protect Hawthorn? Yeah, maybe. Was it enough to kill TWO players?

So it turns out that: the lovers were indeed regular ol' lovers. And Faddy wasn't actually trying to protect Hawthorn. So what we actually ended up with was... a relatively low info kill. Because nin and Hawthorn weren't all that active and there's not much we can read off that except the movement around those votes.

Why was "well, if they flip town we don't have much information" not a consideration? Why was this info line pushed so hard?

I don't think everyone who pushed it is sus, btw. But it's a line to tug because... the kill actually didn't yield much at all.

IS d1 the best day for an info kill? Sure. Especially after the vig shot a scum. But the thing is... it was never an info kill at all. It was actually a "but what if Faddy was protecting Hawthorn and their roles are wrong" kill. I don't understand why it was spun as an info kill. What was the gain?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
This is a weird train of thought that I can't make heads or tails out of. What does Zipped gain from this trust exercise? Is this related to his role ability? Is it just for fun?

I agree that this play from Zipped stands out. I don't understand it either. Is it scum play or just something weird?

How reliable are meta reads? This is only my second game but I feel like it should be pretty easy to play in a similar style whether your town or scum.

I mean look at all the meta reads on hawthorn?

It just seems like kind of lazy analysis? But I'm in mt 2nd game maybe it is a much more useful lens than I imagine.

From my perspective so far: not that useful. Some people do seem to to hold a real grudge from game to game, and it obviously can cloud judgement. There's often a lot of meta reading, and I've yet to see an occasion where it was really useful and could bring some real insight. More often than not it makes for a very lazy but "socially accepted" reason to vote for someone. But this Reki post speaking about Hawthorn made me laugh a lot:
Look, if you saw her punching someone in the face until killing them while saying "Trust me I'll explain later." and then a ridiculous Cop claim you trusted for all of 30 seconds before seeing the flip, you'd be hurt too.

So who knows, maybe when I'll inevitably get punched in the face in some game I'll hold a grudge too! lol!

Aw fuck i was gonna actually do mafia shit today then i spent like 3 hours making whats basically berserk fanart while seeing the NZ election results come in (ahha suck it Peteres a nationalist prick) and now my brain is fried.
also alchohol that happened to somehwere in there.

so thats my life right now how yall feeling?
im so drunk it's not even funny

I'm sipping my morning coffee right now and you're all drunk?!

This N64 party got wild after I left, lol!

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to discuss who we think mafia are likely to target for a night kill?

If it's useful... but is it really? Worst case our discussion gives Scums more information that could possibly be used to manipulate town.

Blarg

Tl;dr: I give Blarg a slight town read. I was gathering up a lot of posts about his role, but I don't want to give scum the answer. I've omitted that information and they can do the legwork on their own. Unfortunately, some of that is also why I think he's probably town, but take my word for it.

Not a lot of hard data to back this up, I know, but what do you think of the Arsonist Blarg theory?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
If it's useful... but is it really? Worst case our discussion gives Scums more information that could possibly be used to manipulate town.
It's not really useful, generally. Exceptions are that if someone keeps talking about how they might be killed when there's almost no chance they'd be killed, that can be a scumtell. But theorizing on who they might kill? nah, not really.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
But if you have some of these people as null, doesn't it mean you don't think they should be marked as town?

Also your list doesn't have that many town reads - it's just missing scumreads. The only one you have is Zipped, who honestly, is generally universally scumread in every game until or unless there's a strong reason to think he's town. I also don't understand some of your nulls - there's plenty to read some of those folks on. Mainly I'm curious why Maol is strong town but turmoil is null. If you've explained this and I haven't seen it yet, please link me.
I would really need to go back and read them to give you a good answer, which I haven't done yet. For right now, null just means I have diddly squat, including any reason why anyone should/shouldn't think they're town.

I'll get to Zipped in a second. I did not explain why Maol moved into a strong town read category. I was leaning town on him yesterday before the last few hours of day end. The last few hours, though, were like he and I were mind-melding, and that made me feel pretty good (even if the results were mixed). He was coming in and saying what I was thinking, and vice versa. None of what he was doing felt like a pocket, either, so I feel comfortable enough with that read.

What in this actually justifies a scum read, though? You have summary of Zipped's actions (so, information) and your judgements (analysis) are a) "weird" and b) "inconsistent this one time." And then a "possibly avoiding Kyan." It's also d1. Is it scummy to not read people? If so, you are scummy, right? You have a whole pile of nulls.

I think we all know town has a tendency to be inconsistent. So, Launch, what I really want to know is: why is this the MOST suspicious person in the thread for you?
I broke down the votes from yesterday, along with highlights based on how I currently feel about the player.

I started looking at Zipped because of his votes, but as I posted late yesterday, I was also curious if there were any players that did not have much interaction with Faddy. Scum have a wide range of ways they interact with each other, so I thought that was an angle to look into, in addition to folks already looking at whoever Faddy actually did interact with or made moves to benefit. This was something that Puns did in Risk and it completely nailed Stan because of how Natiko bounced off of him.

So, in fairness here, I'm starting with a sort of conclusion already and backtracking from there: Zipped avoided engaging with Faddy, but why and how? That's where I went from there and identified: 1) voting to lynch a player based on being burned in the past and coming off the vote when he expect it would look really bad for him on a flip, and 2) not giving a definitive read when asked in case it backfires later. The conclusion is that there's a chance he might be scum relative to everyone else I have looked at until now.

With respect to how I am also scummy, sure, I think you can look at it that way, but I have been giving pretty definitive reads when I do put one down. Zipped did not put put down a firm town read, whereas I have several. I felt strongly about Faddy, and decently strong about Hawthorn at the time; I said as much then.

Not a lot of hard data to back this up, I know, but what do you think of the Arsonist Blarg theory?
I could be wrong or it might be a variant on arsonist, but I don't think that is the role he was implying to have.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Oh fun, 450 posts to catch up on. Please tell me it's mostly fluff and I can just skim through it.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
With respect to how I am also scummy, sure, I think you can look at it that way, but I have been giving pretty definitive reads when I do put one down. Zipped did not put put down a firm town read, whereas I have several. I felt strongly about Faddy, and decently strong about Hawthorn at the time; I said as much then.
What's wrong with these reads? That they're largely based on meta? Because they aren't all based in meta. ELI5 plz

Top Scum: Hawthorn and Launchpad are top scum for me right now. Its mostly based on being burned from last two games. maybe blarg, just because the bets seem like they are on brand, but the bets that were not allowed seemed off somehow.

town: you and Aeleus, maybe reki or Vincent Alexander at this point but like my third scum read i'm still developing reads.

Mostly throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks, I guess?
Launch had me completely fooled in Risk mafia, I am not sure I would have ever figured it out if I had survived more days in the game. He is pretty consistent with his openings, and has had a few big ISO posts which makes me think its more Town!launch than Scum!Launch. However, it could just be a small adjustment based on previous games which leaves me back at the "my gut read is saying launchpad is scum, you shouldn't let this go"

Hawthorn was also really good in Risk, and then her opening in Horror movie was so similar to her opening in Risk, which has been so similar to her opening here. In the previous games she was scum, in this game its still not as clear. but since she is consistent in her gameplay, and I have yet to play with her being town (you know seeing Hawthorn as town via flip) I can only assume that she is scum again.

The Aeleus read was based on the play immediately before putting down that top town. Now that I am re-reading it (and I think they aren't here because of time zones) Aeleus is backed up my Launchpad and reviewing their bet its not as clear with Top Town. Maybe middling now.

VA was pure gut read, as I said before just based on how I'm reading at the time.

Still pretty sure on WeemadArthur though, Their game play has been very pro-town and scumhunting today.

So much so that I want weemadarthur to survivie until tomorrow

pop-tart: weemadarthur
At the time I was town reading you but I think it was mostly frequency posting. You had burst posted right before I was asked so you were on my mind and I was thinking "yeah I like their posts". Since then its kinda mellowed a bit to "I don't think you are scum but I wouldn't definitely defend you as top town." Pretty sure you aren't scum though, just not sure exactly where you fall. Still have some doubts. But honestly questioning my read actually makes me think you are more town than less town.

Scum doesn't question a good read, they just accept it and move on, Town wonders "Hey what did I do to deserve this?"

Weemadarthur is still my top town though.

There's town and scumreads.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out, still, how you come out of a day like d1 with only one soft scumread. Y'all insisted that Hawthorn/nin was an info kill, so what info did you gain from it? Looks like nothing from where I'm standing.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll talk about my reads now. I went back and read everything around the Faddy kill and the EoD stuff that I missed and these are the people who seemed most natural and towny during all that. Some pushed for the lovers kill (like Sneeks), most didn't, but these are the people who seemed to be genuinely trying to solve or exhibiting genuine frustration. I'll probably add donna here for jman, too. Kyan is the one here I'm least certain of, but it's not otherwise in order. rac is the hardest because he often plays things close to the chest, but I think he's town here. Town Sneeks often has bad reads (sorry, Sneeks, lol) and her attitude strikes as more genuine than, say, Launch and Maol to me, but she'd also be at the bottom with Kyan if I was ordering things. I also made some lists of who the vig is clearly not (don't ask, I'm not sharing those) just because it was useful to help triangulate reads.

Chuggs
wee
Kyan
Fat4All
Sneeks
Pancakes
rac
A
turmoil

turmoil had some bad posts around Faddy but bad in such a non-partnery way. Like my notes actually say "whew these are bad posts" but taken as a whole, his entire EoD arc strikes me as more likely town. I'm also leaning town on Stan but I'm not sure yet.

People I need better reads on are:
Vincent Alexander
Hedin
LP
Zipped

My scum candidates right now are Launch and Maol with a side of Reki. If Zipped continues to come up in conversation, I'd like to pretty please, with sugar on top, ask the vig (if they have shots remaining) to shoot Zipped. Sorry, Zipped, but it will force several people who are actually not taking stands to take some stands.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with these reads? That they're largely based on meta? Because they aren't all based in meta. ELI5 plz

There's town and scumreads.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out, still, how you come out of a day like d1 with only one soft scumread. Y'all insisted that Hawthorn/nin was an info kill, so what info did you gain from it? Looks like nothing from where I'm standing.
They aren't all based on meta, but they're pretty weak in general, aren't they? The town ones are pretty wishy washy. Zipped even admits that he would not have caught me if he'd survived longer in Risk, but still places a vote on Hawthorn who was sussed out before he died iirc

Also, technically I came out of D1 with no scum reads; I developed the Zipped read this morning. The pool of players that were in my cone of vision, so to speak, are mostly town read as you saw from my list. It's going to take me a concerted effort to go through those nulls and read them.

I personally did not say Hawthorn/nin was an info kill. I thought they were scum, and the other thing I said is that even if they weren't, we were going to keep going back and forth on them for days because scum wouldn't touch them.

Zipped isn't someone I'd put on my town list. But I really want to know why he's the ONLY scumread here.
Is this just for me or others as well? Are you seeing an increased focus on Zipped from others? I know Maol did a read, but I have not actually read it yet nor his conclusion.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen wee make a couple people's list and I'm not sure what they've done to get these town leans?
It's not meta for me, though yes, wee is playing like they do as town - but those markers can easily be faked (trusting only themselves, etc.). But wee's reactions around the Faddy kill pushed them into town list for me. I also think that with Faddy's role, he would not be pushing money onto a scummate, but a town candidate.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
Mafia come out and speak to us Tonight's N64 PARTY is neutral ground upon which we may all enjoy family-friendly fun publicly and together regardless of Alignment

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't all based on meta, but they're pretty weak in general, aren't they? The town ones are pretty wishy washy. Zipped even admits that he would not have caught me if he'd survived longer in Risk, but still places a vote on Hawthorn who was sussed out before he died iirc

Also, technically I came out of D1 with no scum reads; I developed the Zipped read this morning. The pool of players that were in my cone of vision, so to speak, are mostly town read as you saw from my list. It's going to take me a concerted effort to go through those nulls and read them.
homey, it was day one, what did you expect? This is an honest question.

Let me reframe it: what is it that ZIPPED has done wrt to reads that others haven't?

But you know what, actually, there's no need to keep pushing this. You're gonna keep saying the same things so I'd rather just see you sort those nulls. I'll let it go.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see it was for me and Maol lol

I need to actually sit down and ISO players, Monkey, and I'm out right now, so I'd ask for some patience.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see it was for me and Maol lol

I need to actually sit down and ISO players, Monkey, and I'm out right now, so I'd ask for some patience.
I mean, I'm not making demands here. I'm letting you know that I remain deeply unconvinced by almost anything you've said but hey, maybe you will return with other things later and I'll change my mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you had a bad EoD and it's remained bad through the night and later, if we need to, we can do some point by point analysis. But it's early and who knows what will happen when the night chat lifts.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's not meta for me, though yes, wee is playing like they do as town - but those markers can easily be faked (trusting only themselves, etc.). But wee's reactions around the Faddy kill pushed them into town list for me. I also think that with Faddy's role, he would not be pushing money onto a scummate, but a town candidate.

That's fair enough reasoning.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have work to do today (gross) so I'm gonna go focus on that for a while but I'll check in periodically.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I can now say that years of [Mafia] have honed my reading comprehension to a fine point that I no longer need to maintain a formal reads list behind my each and every play; I operate in a realm of terrifying, instinctual insight culminating in my votes

Aeleus

Nov 29, 2018
Here's where I'm at right now:
Towny:
Dr. Monkey: [REDACTED] + her immediate reaction to Faddy's claim, I think the strong push against it helped control the narrative and I doubt the day vig shot would have happened so quickly without it.
Donna: Very towny entrance into the game + [REDACTED]
TheChuggernaut: I truly don't see a world in which his argument with Faddy was manufactured, I'm suspicious by the people who doubt him at this point
Kyanrute: Boring launchpad reasons, but he also has given some decent town vibes.

Townish:

Reki: I get town vibes from them and liked how the reason they gave for the launchpad bet was different than the one I thought they'd make (that it was a test) seems like there'd been a genuine thought process there. Also remember them being very good scum in Stardew valley so I doubt she'd fall for the daddy pitfall like some have mentioned. But I'm slightly nervous about them using my meta on sparks to town lean him which I haven't really seen a reason for yet.
Conditional-Pancakes: Town vibes + the vanilla stuff, I initially put her and ATP together in my mind but she stuck out from feeling very towny.

Scummish:
MrHedin: Admittidly don't remember much of his posts but I didn't like how convinced he seemed about one of his scum reads and then how quickly he mellowed out when Reki commmented on it.
Stantastic: Does anyone particularly remember any of Stans posts this game? Ususally even when scum he does some funny stuff so this felt like a really off D1 for me, probably my invest in a PIK.

Scummy:

Launchpad: See my past argument but put it in a way which reads more convincingly, I'm trying to not let my thoughts on the lover lunch influence me too much right now but he was also a part of that.

I wanna read more on fat4all and ATP, but probs won't get round to it till Day 2.

I'm also happy to do a claims list this game like usual but it will cost those sweet sweet don bucks. So pay up.