What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know what it is but Outer Worlds isn't grabbing me so far. I do enjoy playing it but I'm not super into it?
And I can't really pinpoint anything that's throwing me off. The writing is decent (I mean, after Disco Elysium it was always going to be hard going into another dialogue heavy game but it's doing pretty fine), the shooting feels good enough, I really like the companions, the worlds look nice, I like that it's a bunch of smaller worlds instead of one giant one. There are a couple of minor annoyances but nothing major. And I haven't encountered a single bug yet.

Similar feelings. I am on and off about the game. The more I a play it the more it reminds me of Far Cry. Mainly because of the alright shooting. And that doing the quests feels more like task completion than roleplaying to me after Disco Elysium. I need to play it again but I still think at the end of the day New Vegas is better.

It makes me also wonder how much Obsidian will miss Avellone in the long run. Not to pin it all one guy because there are lots of talented writer at Obsidian left. Dude got his reputation not for nothing and while the writing is good and it has some nice character moments so far it also lacks some kind of twist like a priest calling his godess a whore or something. Maybe there will be something later on but I don't really expect it.

Sep 12, 2018
Maybe it's having 2 IPAs in quick succession but I'm watching my first AEW show and having a great time. Haven't watched wrestling in decades either.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Abby said it was her fault when the video dropped out during the Xavier Woods part of the WWE2K20 QL but that's a hell of a coincidence

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow guys... I can confirm, Children of Morta is THE SHIT.... I think this will be my rogue like of choice for a little bit

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i must've missed that. what was the context that its now a coincidence?
Just that of all the wrestlers they went through and it happened on Xavier Wood's profile and he's the wrestler they're friendliest with. Like someone said a wrestling spoiler they heard from him or something

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm trying to cancel my UPlay+ sub and the site won't load... I still have until the 31st so no rush but come on Ubi...

I blame Yves "Blitzrules240" Guillemot

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Just that of all the wrestlers they went through and it happened on Xavier Wood's profile and he's the wrestler they're friendliest with. Like someone said a wrestling spoiler they heard from him or something
Xavier makes fun of himself all the time. If theres some conspiracy, its wwe not wanting him involved without side projects besides his youtube channel anymore.

with how wonky East's machines are, and no vinny, its probably just a mishap

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Similar feelings. I am on and off about the game. The more I a play it the more it reminds me of Far Cry. Mainly because of the alright shooting. And that doing the quests feels more like task completion than roleplaying to me after Disco Elysium. I need to play it again but I still think at the end of the day New Vegas is better.

It makes me also wonder how much Obsidian will miss Avellone in the long run. Not to pin it all one guy because there are lots of talented writer at Obsidian left. Dude got his reputation not for nothing and while the writing is good and it has some nice character moments so far it also lacks some kind of twist like a priest calling his godess a whore or something. Maybe there will be something later on but I don't really expect it.

Josh Sawyer was the main writer on New Vegas iirc

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact... the money in Children of Morta is called "Morv"...

"Morve" (pronounced the same way) in French is slang for Snot...

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't want to kojima Avellone and be all like "all the good writing is his".
But also having played both Pillars of Eternity games it was PAINFULLY obvious which two companions Avellone wrote. Cause they were the only two companions that were even remotely interesting.

I think the lead writer for New Vegas went to Guerilla. But it's also hard to tell what "lead writer" even means in a game with this much dialogue

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Like Fantastapptamus said I remember them making a fuzz about getting the lead writer from New Vegas for Horizon: Zero Dawn. I believe John Gonzalez is his name. But that game showed to me that maybe a lot of the time it is not just a single writer but more the team of writers and how well they work together. Because they had people from The Witcher 3 also and I found that game to be boring.

But this also made me do a little research and look who I found https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Matt_Rorie

Yeah, I don't want to kojima Avellone and be all like "all the good writing is his".
But also having played both Pillars of Eternity games it was PAINFULLY obvious which two companions Avellone wrote. Cause they were the only two companions that were even remotely interesting.

I think the lead writer for New Vegas went to Guerilla. But it's also hard to tell what "lead writer" even means in a game with this much dialogue

I didn't stick around for much of Pillars because next to my disdain for RTwP I found the game pretty dry to read. I also don't think all the great writing is on Avellone bit I at least believe that he has good ideas that either he or others can make something out. And it also doesn't mean he can't do stinkers.

I guess for final judgement it has to wait what Obsidian puts out next. Don't believe it will be bad but I hope it will have that special something that has been missing for me in the Outer Worlds so far. Though maybe I am also looking back at New Vegas with rosetinted glasses.

Writing this gave me the thought that I would like to see a collaboration between Obsidian and Yuji Horii. Not necessarily Dragon Quest which he probably is working on but on something else because I enjoy his scenarios and stories. Might be a terrible idea but I would really like to see it. Either Obsidian or Larian, thinking more about it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey... I just realized... I will be able to do the same thing with Jedi Fallen Order than I did with Ghost Recond... I can pay 20$ for a month of Origin Access to play the game (I even get "early" access)...I'm sure I'll have time to play through it within a month and there's no multiplayer

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I need to find a Modern Warfare Chrome add-on that replaces "camping" with "using effective tactics" or something.

Check your corners, people.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Writing this gave me the thought that I would like to see a collaboration between Obsidian and Yuji Horii. Not necessarily Dragon Quest which he probably is working on but on something else because I enjoy his scenarios and stories. Might be a terrible idea but I would really like to see it. Either Obsidian or Larian, thinking more about it.
In general I'd love to see more collabs between western and Japanase RPG developers. I feel like there's some interesting design space for a fusion that hasn't been explored much.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That bowling game is alright for $20.

Finished my time with Concrete Genie. Pretty solid game, wholesome and well animated.

Also played Sniper Elite 4, I'm playing like shit on Easy but it's fun lol. The kill cam is brutal at times.

Gonna start The Outer Worlds after football tonight.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I like choobegahns let's go with that!

im still excited for the poutine though, gonna be delish!
Great job on the QLEX duder!

QLEX are already starting with a bid disavantage compared to normal QL but you managed to make it super fun and interesting!

I wish your games would not trigger crazy amount of anxiety in my brain so I could play them more lol

Glad to learn that there's now a chill mode, I'll have to pick CSD3 now!

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Dan not hiding his dislike of Death Stranding already is actually not surprising judging by what that game appears to be and what his tastes are. I'm very curious to see how it'll shake out for the rest of them, doesn't seem like something that will resonate with anyone on staff this year. Looking forward to the upcoming Friday pod for the discussion!

May 5, 2018
I bet we're gonna get an hour long discussion on Death Stranding and 3 minutes on Luigi's Mansion 3 and COD MW each on the next Beastcast..

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't like MW's multiplayer at all. It encourages campers.

I'll stick with it through the next couple of weeks until SW comes out, but after that, I'm likely selling it. Bring on Blops 5.

I haven't played this COD but that seems unlikely given that every other COD heavily favours running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the studio audio so terrible on this Gamespot Extra Life feed? Do they just have a room mic and not personal mics?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does he not like marvel movies
EHpqMblWwAAac6F

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like there are as many vendors as characters in Outer Worlds and yet there is no reason to buy anything

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Got the Exorcist from the library. They only had the director's cut on DVD. Oh well. I hate when they do longer movies for F&40s; it sucks pausing to use the bathroom or something and having to re-sync.

It feels like there are as many vendors as characters in Outer Worlds and yet there is no reason to buy anything
For a game about frontier capitalism money and ammo became far too plenty and meaningless far too soon.

Oct 25, 2017
So, there suddenly are a bunch of cows on my ship in Outer Worlds and I don't know where they came from and nobody is acknowledging them and it's kinda freaking me out

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea.
I was just doing a sidemission on a pretty small space station and suddenly there are cows on my main ship. There was no mention of cows during that mission.
Please, tell me you can see them too
DaS9gtG.jpg

You know what you must do

I will say the writing in Outer Worlds is grabbing me more than either Pillars 1 or 2, though it definitely helps that the setting is roughly 100 times more interesting

Oct 25, 2017
You know what you must do

I will say the writing in Outer Worlds is grabbing me more than either Pillars 1 or 2, though it definitely helps that the setting is roughly 100 times more interesting
Absolutely.
Pillers (and I have backed both games and like them reasonably well) is the definition of an incredibly basic fantasy setting. Like, there really isn't anything that's setting it apart from every other fantasy game. The "corporation" angle they took with Outer Worlds is both pretty refreshing and kinda funny as well. I really enjoy that aspect of the game.

As an aside, is "0815" a recognizable term for "average" in English speaking countries as well or is that just a German thing? Cause Pillars is basically the definition of 0815

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
thinking about how
they spend the opening hours building up some synth replacement storyline with the shadowy institute that goes absolutely nowhere and isn't even mentioned after a certain point

or how your synth-hating companion turns out to be a synth
so naturally he wants you to kill him and if you convince him to live he still hates synths with every fiber of his synth heart

and they don't actually doing anything with that either
cool game

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I had a decent time with fo4 all things considered (more so than fo3 and skyrim) but it's a real "turn off your brain" sorta game

haven't put too much time into outer worlds but I'm really liking it so far

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Absolutely.
Pillers (and I have backed both games and like them reasonably well) is the definition of an incredibly basic fantasy setting. Like, there really isn't anything that's setting it apart from every other fantasy game. The "corporation" angle they took with Outer Worlds is both pretty refreshing and kinda funny as well. I really enjoy that aspect of the game.

As an aside, is "0815" a recognizable term for "average" in English speaking countries as well or is that just a German thing? Cause Pillars is basically the definition of 0815
Definitely not recognizable to me as a Northeastern/Western/Southeastern American at least. Interesting, though! Where does that meaning average come from?

wrt Pillars, I never picked them up for that exact reason. I don't really like RTwP combat and I am so, so, SO, SO tired of standard fantasy settings so the pitch really didn't grab me even though I'm sure they're solid RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.