• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I only recognize one: the Robert De Niro quote. It's been too long haha. But it's been largely accurate to my experience with MTG.
I see three and neither are De Niro lol.

OT| Just when you thought you were out of Magic, they pull you back in
OT| Leave the violin. Take the halo.
OT| I know it was you, Tezzeret. You broke my heart!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
gah wtf, i just found out a secret lair i ordered a few months ago has the status 'abandoned'? I looked it up it sounds like they didnt like mypayment method but never contacted me about it. I'm like preeeetty sure i put in mypayment info and it was fine... Ive ordered secret lairs before with no issue.... Why wizards why.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thread draft. Going up shortly.

EDIT: It's up

Magic: the Gathering |OT| Streets of New Capenna - Of all the planes in all the multiverse, she walked onto mine...

unknown.png

Arena Release Date: April 28, 2022
Prerelease Date: April 22–28 , 2022
Paper Release Date: April 29, 2022

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Dominaria United
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Last time in Magic, we made our long-awaited return to the land of Kamigawa, where the realm of spirits clashes with advancing technology.

Now, we enter the crowded city of New Capenna. Long ago, Old Capenna was a prosperous land of kings and knights, but then came the threat of the Phyrexians. Angels and demons united to face them while the people crowded into the city, led by five families that made pacts with the demons. The threat and their protectors alike faded into myth, leaving only a fractured city on the brink of war between the five crime families. The key to winning is Halo: a substance formed by angels that can be used for everything from fuel to healing. It's running low, and whoever controls the remaining stock controls the city. In the middle of all this, the planeswalker Elspeth arrives to learn if this is truly her long lost plane. Having spent her childhood in a Phyrexian dungeon, she's taken aback from how different it is from her imagination. Can she really consider it home?

New Capenna has a three-color focus, with five crime families represented by "shards" or arcs of three allied colors.

Streets of New Capenna will feature five tie-in Commander decks.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Zendikar Rising
  • Kaldheim
  • Strixhaven: School of Mages
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
  • Innistrad: Crimson Vow
  • Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
  • Streets of New Capenna
Zendikar Rising, Kaldheim, Strixhaven, and Adventures in the Forgotten Realms will rotate out of Standard when the next set comes out.

Banned cards in Standard.
GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. This set has 100-card Commander decks that are meant to serve as an introduction, though note that these cards can't be used for most formats outside of Commander, a casual multiplayer format. Challenger Decks (2022 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that many cards in these will have rotated out by the time this set releases, however.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. Check if in-person events are back at your local game store.
Find local game stores here.

Z3VzIqgaxe.jpg

SET DETAILS
Arena Release Date:
April 28, 2022
Prerelease Date: April 22–28 , 2022
Paper Release Date: April 29, 2022
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics

The streets of New Capenna are ruled by five families, each with their own themes and mechanics.

Brokers - Green / White / Blue

en_7QVrWh6ESl.png
en_vTTy0MIsD6.png

In the distant past, knights errant traveled the land and protected its people in exchange for food and shelter. In New Capenna, this vow has shifted to extorting protection enforced by magically binding contracts. And if you break those contracts, it's time to meet their enforcers.

Obscura - White / Blue / Black

en_1ksXH8ZDR0.png
en_EEdSlMpAex.png

In the distant past, wise wizards and seers advised kings and queens. Now they turn their mystical skills to keeping one step ahead of the other families with subterfuge and constant surveillance. Their members connive to get stronger while simultaneously giving themselves better options. When a creature connives, you draw the specified number of cards then discard that many. Then you put a +1/+1 counter on that creature for each nonland card you discard, encouraging you to fill your graveyard with nonland cards. Of course, you can also use this for simple hand filtering and removing your extra lands.

Maestros - Blue / Black / Red

en_SfqTqQ5FFN.png
en_7524e8toGT.png

In the distant past, the aristocrats of Old Capenna were artists and historians. When the old land fell, they were the ones to bring as much of their history and artifacts to the new city. Nowadays, they continue to live a life of leisure at the expense of everyone else, taking pride in the artful way they kill those who cross them, but they are also the keys to understanding the past.

Riveteers - Black / Red / Green

en_dqaOjsLwLA.png

In the distant past, the architects and blacksmiths of Old Capenna supported all the other factions. In the new city, their role is all the more important, yet they are stuck in the lower areas, which puts them in a fighting mood. Being part of the Riveteers means being able to put use of your engineering skills to maybe leave a wall without any support unless a bit extra is paid, along with much more destructive actions.

Cabaretti - Red / Green / White

en_IE2lcAbwsZ.png
en_0q1cl2xVjJ.png

In the distant past, druids used ritual dances to commune with nature and keep everything in balance. In the concrete city of New Capenna, more and more rituals were held in a desperate attempt to connect to nature, which eventually evolved into the unending revel of the Cabaretti. As the owners of most lounges and performance halls, they de facto run most of the "neutral" spaces in New Capenna, which is a fact none of the other families are too happy with but it's something they have to live with.

Cycling

en_qKzNxt5If8.png
en_n83pQc25Na.png

Cycling is an activated ability from your hand, where you can discard the card for the specified cost and draw a new card. Cycling only appears on this land cycle in this set.

OTHER THREADS
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Kaldheim
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Regular columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); and Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors. Other articles are used for card previews.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

Ffw3PHmFPA.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.