• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with that Urza card (apart from the fact that he isn't green) is that based on the image (how old he is) and the abilities, this is an Urza from when he was a Planeswalker, and thus the card should be a Walker and not a creature

Hell, you can use the WAR formatting, make the tap for mana a passive, and make the token creation a Plus ability and the Aperature ability a minus

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, my friend gets to play that Urza in his Jhoira commander, but doesn't help my stuff. Is he actually going to be a top tier artifact commander on his own, would you guys say, or not really? Because man, there is a strong temptation to build something with an actual freaking Urza card...

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
u4ot6wtdwlz21.png

Very fun. Izzet jank is my favorite.

Even *more* ways to cheat suspend spells without mana costs. I'm telling you guys, there is a Turbo Balance deck out there somewhere that has all the pieces necessary to be good

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with that Urza card (apart from the fact that he isn't green) is that based on the image (how old he is) and the abilities, this is an Urza from when he was a Planeswalker, and thus the card should be a Walker and not a creature

Hell, you can use the WAR formatting, make the tap for mana a passive, and make the token creation a Plus ability and the Aperature ability a minus
Urza was perennially old, check it out.

Oct 28, 2017

Sure. But then he couldn't be a Commander.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Welp, my friend gets to play that Urza in his Jhoira commander, but doesn't help my stuff. Is he actually going to be a top tier artifact commander on his own, would you guys say, or not really? Because man, there is a strong temptation to build something with an actual freaking Urza card...
It literally does everything monoblue artifacts wants, yes

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, my initial thought was "Oh, but maybe the other artifact commanders can do better?" But no, he seems like stupid good fun, and I'm definitely building him.

Honestly, you might reconsider. After thinking about him, Urza is not just good. If you have even a tolerable budget and try to make the deck good, it's going to absolutely wipe the floor with other decks you're competing against. Urza is going to be a Tier 1 cEDH commander without a doubt. Maybe even the best one since he enables infinite mana better than something like Thrasios does. Because of that, people are going to target you hard every game as Urza's likely to just win out of nowhere. I'd only run him in the 99, and maybe not even then.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
They used to print collector's editions of successful old Standard decks. The cards aren't legal (gold-bordered), but, if you just want decks to play with, those are pretty cheap and convenient imo.

thank you! any idea what those decks would be called so I know what to search for?

D7F2rF9WsAA0z2g.jpg

Ball Blightning- Ball Lightning that makes them discard 2 if it hits them

The longer answer to your question is that if you are talking mid 90s old stuff here, you should probably install Shandalar, which was the old MTG game from the 90s. You can go on Youtube and see the work people have done to make it run on modern PCs

Thank you! I think I had this as a kid! Gonna look into it.

If you want to play with older cards without spending thousands you can look into the Pauper format. It's basically decks constructed from only commons throughout Magic's history. High-end decks run anywhere from $60-$120, and there's a wide variety to choose from. When you combine 25 years worth of commons together you can actually make some pretty strong decks.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

Thank you! Will check this out.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preordain for 2 mana w/ upside is going to be a mainstay going forward after they printed the hybrid Surveil version and nothing broke because of it.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I think at a fair powerlevel Sai Master Thopterist is considerably stronger than Urza as a mono U commander but what makes Urza so strong is that he's an outlet for infinite mana which is quite trivial to create with artifacts as well as the interaction with old school artifacts whose static abilities are turned off when they are tapped

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely likely that those 20 prequel stories were supposed to be the GRN/RNA stories that were supposed to be on Wizard's site. But because of legal issues / incompetance, the publisher of the War of the Spark novel got a hold of them and decided "fuck everybody, now we have a hold of these and we'll release them whenever we damn well please. Who cares if this hurts literally everybody involved?"

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about how the WAR novel and preview articles on the Mothership were written point to that, yeah.

Feb 16, 2018
i finished the war of the spark novel

i like how it gives context to the cards we play with, but i didn't care for the whole gatewatch/bolas conflict

might read future stuff that describes the plane that an expansion is set on or something, but probably not if it's part of a novel that's primarily about something else

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they fumbled the ending of WAR, Japanese booster shipments, and Mythic Edition all at the same time. That's truly special.

MH1 - Aria of Flame
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

2R
Enchantment
When it enters the battlefield, each opponent gains 10 life.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a verse counter on it, then it deals damage equal to the number of verse counters on it to target player or planeswalker.

I like opponent life gaining as a downside in red.
You cast 6 instant and sorcery spells after this for 21 damage total. 8 for 36.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
image0.jpg

2R
Enchantment
When it enters the battlefield, each opponent gains 10 life.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a verse counter on it, then it deals damage equal to the number of verse counters on it to target player or planeswalker.

I like opponent life gaining as a downside in red.
You cast 6 instant and sorcery spells after this for 21 damage total. 8 for 36.

This seems like the perfect fit for my Feather Commander Deck.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Being a returning player I can't make up my mind on the upcoming set.

I mean, our little circle is effectively playing standard because of having started last summer and every card we've acquired has been in standard. On the other hand, it's not like we couldn't just say we are playing modern as it really wouldn't make a huge difference as we are very casual about it.

I do enjoy a lot of the art and the flavour of the set though.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a returning player I can't make up my mind on the upcoming set.

I mean, our little circle is effectively playing standard because of having started last summer and every card we've acquired has been in standard. On the other hand, it's not like we couldn't just say we are playing modern as it really wouldn't make a huge difference as we are very casual about it.

I do enjoy a lot of the art and the flavour of the set though.

Do you play commander? MH from what I understand look to have a lot of good commander cards.

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like the perfect fit for my Feather Commander Deck.

My first thought was Storm in EDH, but I actually recently built a Feather deck and you're right, this is pretty much perfect for it if I think it'll last a while. Will definitely have to consider it.

Not yet, but I'm sure our little group will get to that eventually. Probably when someone in our group breaks down and destroys our meta by buying singles and making a competitive deck lol.

I'd really recommend you guys give Commander a shot. Commander 19 should come out in August (or July?). Buy those decks then. Multiplayer Commander is the most fun you can have in Magic, in my opinion.

MH1 - Goblin Engineer; Regrowth; Man-o'-War; Force of Virtue
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a new one:

jyz6g3rmlqz21.png

It's a worse version of Goblin Welder:

goblin-welder-9735-medium.jpg

Then there's Regrowth:

Regrowth_FR.png

Regrowth
Sorcery
Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.

And this classic:

9NwlRtO2yDgQxhiM6Pk1DBuXJKYSUKMXFsz0QE68rkA.png

And finally, the White Force card:

abptsvir4qz21.jpg

Force of Virtue?
Enchantment
if not your turn, exile white card instead of paying its cmc.
flash
creatures you control get +1+1.

Pretty bad.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wait it's an Enchantment? That actually changes my view a little bit. I thought it was an instant

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
My first thought was Storm in EDH, but I actually recently built a Feather deck and you're right, this is pretty much perfect for it if I think it'll last a while. Will definitely have to consider it.

I'd really recommend you guys give Commander a shot. Commander 19 should come out in August (or July?). Buy those decks then. Multiplayer Commander is the most fun you can have in Magic, in my opinion.

I'll take a look at those. I was eyeballing the commander 18 last summer but the price of two decks (for me and my wife) felt a bit too steep at that point (we'd just bought two plainswalker decks and I was teaching her the rules).

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Overflow (?) G
Sorcery - Uncommon
Until end of turn, target creature you control becomes a Wurm with base power and toughness 6/4.
Overload 4GG

Strictly better Might of Old Krosa? This is +5/+3 to an infect creature for G which is bonkers.
image0.jpg

Goblin Engineer can search for cards, so it isn't strictly worse than Goblin Welder. And it can return Crucible of Worlds, Ensnaring Bridge, Thopter Foundry (and put Sword of the Meek in the graveyard).

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the slivers are back to their original appearance too. Not surprising after how the M14-M15 slivers were received, but still nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.