Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I read this as an attempt of him saying that Russia will fail, not mocking the information that an attack will happen on 16th.

GeoMack

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude… I hope Russia and China think like you cause that would be awesome. Our tech is the best of the best, hence the reason China constantly tries to steal it. Our air force if it was its own country would have the worlds second largest navy next to the US navy lol. The f22 raptor is also 12 or so years old and is more advanced then anything flying out there today even more then the f35 which is a cheaper single engine variant of the 22.

And it's okay for carriers to be old if they get updated, plus we have lots of new Gerald ford class carriers being built. We have 11 or so we keep in operation around the globe because anymore then that is just unnecessary, what does china have…2 smaller ones with much less sophistication. If it's one thing the US goes all in on its military tech

Also we brought the A-10 out of retirement because it's a damn beast and was perfect for its new flying missions and low cost upkeep. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's not useful or as good if it fits a certain criteria for a mission

Well fiction can be fun, I guess.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I wouldn't get overly caught up over the exact wording Zelensky used. My take is that he was trying to keep up the spirits of the nation by saying "they say Russia will attack us on the 16th, well let's make it a day of solidarity and unity" etc.

Yes it was clearly meant in the way you mention, otherwise it would be a complete 180 from his former position and he wouldn't just be saying "let's fly our flag high". The dangers of relying on super quick reads in translation by media.

On the other hand if there really is an attack on the 16th then he's going to look like a fucking fool for not preparing the populace for the possibility

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Would Russia really waste hypersonic missiles on a nation with very few anti-air/missile capabilities? I saw reports that Iskander hypersonic missiles have been moved into firing position on the border, but I just don't see why Russia would use those extremely expensive weapons when regular cruise missiles would accomplish the same goal?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
For a former comedian, he seems pretty bad at reading the room.
The only room he cares about are Ukrainians.

He's also trying to avoid giving Russia soundbites.

Keep in mind, since Russia handed its "ultimatum" there have been 2 9-hour meetings between presidential advisors of Ukraine, Russia, France and Germany (the Normandy 4), with the sole goal of forcing Ukraine to concede to the Russian interpretation of the existing Minsk agreements. And both meetings have ended with nothing, despite the fact that Zelensky's representative, Yermak is a known Russian sympathizer. But he can't make any concessions, because domestic pressure on Zelensky is even greater, and both the politically active citizens and his political opponents will eat him alive if he does.

In the meantime, the Russian Duma approved 2 versions of requests to Putin to acknowledge the "People's Republics" in the Temporarily Occupied Regions of Donbas-something that would directly contradict the Minsk Agreemenuts.
Putin's party has majority in the Duma, so obviously these are theatrics. But it gives them more options.

Those who want to evacuate should make arrangements. Those who are prepared for the worst got nothing to stress about. That's the gist of Zelensky's message. It's shit, but it's the best you can expect in the situation.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Russia will never allow a NATO member on it borders,this is the cold,hard truth.They would rather invade.Ideally they would love to have buffer/puppet states like Belarus.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Russia will never allow a NATO member on it borders,this is the cold,hard truth.They would rather invade.Ideally they would love to have buffer/puppet states like Belarus.
You should've said "Russia will never allow a country that speaks the language they say they understand (even though they actually don't) and consider to be part of their "ancestral home" to become a NATO state, they'd rather invade"

That would've been more realistic. Though still seeped in bullshit propaganda

Z'ard

"This guy are sick"
Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine

He didn't say 16 is day of attack. He said "we are being told 16 is a day of attack". Now i don't want to be rude but your guys opinions about Zelensky is a joke. I also read some discussions here and all this "Russia is going to attack within hours" and "Kyiv is goint to fall in two days" is like reading russian bots. Calm the fuck down.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would Russia really waste hypersonic missiles on a nation with very few anti-air/missile capabilities? I saw reports that Iskander hypersonic missiles have been moved into firing position on the border, but I just don't see why Russia would use those extremely expensive weapons when regular cruise missiles would accomplish the same goal?
They used some in Syria, so I don't think they'll hold them back.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Russia has had THREE NATO members on its border sinice 2004.
Plus Poland, if you count Kaliningrad

They already have 4 Nato members on their border.

Yeah and that happened back the 90's, in the aftermath of the dissolution of the Warsaw pact, Russia in the 90's couldn't even take Grozny and their people were begging for bread on streets, gangs controlled neighborhoods and 24h electricity was a privilege while their president was a booze hound.

All of which lead to Putin coming into power, reshaping the army into a modern one with massive reforms, boosting the economy, and hoarding over 600 billions in USD to shield himself from sanctions all to stop NATO expanding any further.

Boris Yeltsin might have sat silent when Poland went to NATO but Putin invaded Georgia when they tried back in 2008.

Aug 12, 2019
Yeah and that happened back the 90's, in the aftermath of the dissolution of the Warsaw pact, Russia in the 90's couldn't even take Grozny and their people were begging for bread on streets, gangs controlled neighborhoods and 24h electricity was a privilege while their president was a booze hound.

All of which lead to Putin coming into power, reshaping the army into a modern one with massive reforms, boosting the economy, and hoarding over 600 billions in USD to shield himself from sanctions all to stop NATO expanding any further.

Boris Yeltsin might have sat silent when Poland went to NATO but Putin invaded Georgia when they tried back in 2008.

The Baltics were added to NATO in 2004 while Putin was President of Russia actually, they weren't just grabbed in the 90s.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

They've used Iskanders in Syria against hospitals in rebel areas so I have no doubt they would use them to hit Ukrainian military targets. There are different Iskander variants. There's been footage recently near the border showing a convoy of several launch vehicles with a long line of trucks carrying additional missiles so I have no doubt they will be used as part of the attack in Ukraine too, if it happens.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
The Baltics were added to NATO in 2004 while Putin was President of Russia actually, they weren't just grabbed in the 90s.

First term, where Russia was still severely impoverished, had to go through the Kursk submarine disaster, wage the second Chechen war, reaching a deal with the Oligarchs to kickstart economic resuscitation, hostage situations.

Even his military reforms didn't kick in until after he invaded Georgia.

If Putin had what he had today back in the 90's he would've definitely blocked NATO expansion then.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Iskanders, Kaliber cruise missiles, Bastions and Long range artillery are what you'll see day 1. Actual air attack may not be in the first hours since Russia doesn't have much stealth capability. Once they think air defenses are degraded, then the air phase will start.

On that note I do wonder how much EW is Russia going to throw at NATO since NATO has significant radar coverage over Ukraine and can pass that on which will make degrading air defenses much harder and much more dangerous for Russian pilots.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Iskanders, Kaliber cruise missiles, Bastions and Long range artillery are what you'll see day 1. Actual air attack may not be in the first hours since Russia doesn't have much stealth capability. Once they think air defenses are degraded, then the air phase will start.

I think Cyber attacks to cut off critical infrastructures, from electricity to communication and water would precede any cruise and ballistic missile strikes.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I think Cyber attacks to cut off critical infrastructures, from electricity to communication and water would precede any cruise and ballistic missile strikes.
Yes, those are Day 0 attacks as I mentioned earlier today. We should see those within 24 hours.

Edit: wonder if Ukraine is allowing NATO access to those networks to try and help contain intrusions.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, those are Day 0 attacks as I mentioned earlier today. We should see those within 24 hours.

Edit: wonder if Ukraine is allowing NATO access to those networks to try and help contain intrusions.

They most definitely will, another sign would be when Russia starts jamming NATO AWACS and radars, Russian army moved a big number of EW equipment and radar systems to border.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
User warned: inflammatory posting
As a show of force on a global stage?

YES.

Don't try to apply logic to anything Putin is doing. In a logical world, someone has explained it to him that he's opening the door to World War 3.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a show of force on a global stage?

YES.

Don't try to apply logic to anything Putin is doing. In a logical world, someone has explained it to him that he's opening the door to World War 3.
I wish people would stop with the WW3 stuff. Ukraine being invaded is awful but with the Western powers saying that they're not going to war with Russia over it there's no real way to get from that to WW3.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I wish people would stop with the WW3 stuff. Ukraine being invaded is awful but with the Western powers saying that they're not going to war with Russia over it there's no real way to get from that to WW3.
Things like Ukraine escalation can domino into other things rather quickly.
Just looking at history, it's astounding how badly this can get.

I'm not saying ANY of this lightly. Russia/Putin wants an empire and is currently spitting in the face of EVERYONE to do just that.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
The west has done a very good job of ramping up pressure on Russia. They have stolen the narrative from them. They have done this by playing russia at their own game, making "alarmist" announcements and constantly leaking out information. If russia does not invade on the 16th then the US can say "Our pressure made sure this did not happen" Russia meanwhile will say it never was going to invade etc.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Things like Ukraine escalation can domino into other things rather quickly.
Just looking at history, it's astounding how badly this can get.

I'm not saying ANY of this lightly. Russia/Putin wants an empire and is currently spitting in the face of EVERYONE to do just that.
0.0001% chance that this leads to WW3. It's honestly not even worth thinking about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Interesting. Scottish young labour calling out young labour stance. . Interesting that not all progessiver/leftist groups are peddling Russian propaganda.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, let's chill out with the WW3 stuff a little. OK?

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Situation is bad and I can't get any sleep so I decided it is time for long ass table memes:
6588tt.jpg

Link to original image
reX5skQ.jpg

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Interesting. Scottish young labour calling out young labour stance. . Interesting that not all progessiver/leftist groups are peddling Russian propaganda.

The Labour Party had a vital role in establishing NATO in the first place - it's funny to see folks pushing the idea that supporting the organisation is somehow completely against "Labour values".

Edit: Like clockwork, Bastani shows up talking nonsense in the comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.