• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well, its possible that the Switch will have some effect, i agree to that, but i think a decline would have had a bigger chance to happen anyway considering the age of the system. Thats why i think its hard to know for sure how much the Switch or the age of the PS4 will be the main reason for the potential decline. But theres no way to prove either of this regardless.
In early September 2017 PS4 was ahead by about 385K compared to 2016 (Media Create).
Now it's even in doubt if PS4 YTD for 2017 is going to be up YoY.

Last edited:

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I call divination. Actually, the Switch has been faster than the 3DS in this "million-seller race" so saying that Switch will be, at the end, way behind the 3DS is making blind guesses. Before the 3DS, what was Yokai ? New IPs are created every gen and can explode on a successful console. We don't know the extent of Nintendo output too and the 2018 line-up yet.

But he did use a point of data for his prediction. 40% of 3DS's million-selling games are either from the Yo-Kai Watch series, which is done as far as we can tell right now, or the Monster Hunter series, which is late to the party enough that we may not get as many for Switch as we did for 3DS. For example, launch-aligned 3DS got its first million-selling Monster Hunter game about a month ago. Switch does not yet have a title in the series announced. That's a surmountable obstacle, but not a trivially surmountable obstacle.

I think I was just balking at the word "divination" because it implies a belief based on zero data, and it felt like an across-the-board dismissal and shutdown instead of an attempt to further the discussion. Maybe the original poster in this sub-thread was making a belief based on not a lot of data, and I'd agree completely with your prognosis of "We don't know",but my omens suggest that if absolute certainty were the bar we set for making predictions, few people would post in these threads at all (now THAT's an example of divination!).

My secret shame: I'm elated that a picture I posted on the Internet is helping to fuel the console war. :D

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you've been following Japanese sales for many years to not realize that a successful platform attracts big sellers and create new ones.

And I'm sure you can see how rare those games are.

Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest will come sooner or later and will sell millions.

MH will not come as frequent on the 3DS as on the SW. SW is looking to get its first MH in 2019 or even 2020. DQ is now multiplatform.

No, PS4 and 3DS sales have flatened from the moment Nintendo started increasing Switch shipments after Splatoon 2, holidays especially will go unnoticed for both.

Does the data depict this?

Their medieval project was supposed to be more straight action iirc. I think that could be a good fit.

Project Re from ATLUS?

We don't know the extent of Nintendo output too and the 2018 line-up yet.

Nintendo isn't the question here, apart from them taking longer to make games. Around half of the million+ sellers on 3DS were from MH and YW. DQ accounted for many as well and now its multiplatform.

Obviously new IPs are expected but their reception is questionable and so at this moment there looks to be a big decline.

In early 2017 PS4 was ahead by about 385K compared to 2016 (Media Create).

This has more to do with PS4 having a strong Q1 compared to a weaker holiday software wise.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
True, but you were pretty skeptical USUM could have reached such numbers in Japan ;)
2m was my original prediction, word of mouth is helping so far but it won't end very far from that number and it's not that sales of this range is anything special. It's positive though it recovered after Sun / Moon sales.

West is the big problem. 60-70% down from S/M is a sharp drop for third entry that will lead to a low WW number.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Creatures Inc (Pokemon Trading Card Game, Detective Pikachu) is looking for people with Unity/UE4 experience. even posts a picture of Pikachu in UE4. PokePark 3 in UE4 when?

job17.jpg

https://www.creatures.co.jp/recruit/1261/

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
In early September 2017 PS4 was ahead by about 385K compared to 2016 (Media Create).
PS4 big problems started after Dragon Quest stepped out and Splatoon 2 stepped in. If Nintendo continues with big shipments next quarter not many things will change for PS4 when Monster Hunter hype dies.

There are many candidate titles ready for undeperforming.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't the question here, apart from them taking longer to make games. Around half of the million+ sellers on 3DS were from MH and YW. DQ accounted for many as well and now its multiplatform.

Nintendo is supporting only one console now, we are going to see more games and more franchises than on 3DS. 3DS never got a 3D Mario, 3D Zelda or Splatoon. All these titles are going to be million-seller on Switch.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously new IPs are expected but their reception is questionable and so at this moment there looks to be a big decline.
That's ok. Splatoon can be milked for sequels and spin-offs to offset against those loses.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
This has more to do with PS4 having a strong Q1 compared to a weaker holiday software wise.
PS4 in 2017 consistently outperformed 2016 sales until early September (basically until Dragon Quest XI effect wear off and PS4 Slim introduction kicked in for YTD 2016).
August/September 2017 is also when Switch stock situation began improving.

PS4 big problems started after Dragon Quest stepped out and Splatoon 2 stepped in. If Nintendo continues with big shipments next quarter not many things will change for PS4 when Monster Hunter hype dies.

There are already many candidate titles ready for undeperforming.
That's how I read the situation too.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is supporting only one console now, we are going to see more games and more franchises than on 3DS. 3DS never got a 3D Mario, 3D Zelda or Splatoon. All these titles are going to be million-seller on Switch.

There is massive overlap between Nintendo consoles and you forget that 3DS game development is far quicker.
3Ds had 3D land?

I can't think of any addition with the one console approach other than having both 2D and 3D Zelda.

That's ok. Splatoon can be milked for sequels and spin-offs to offset against those loses.

Splatoon alone is not going offset those losses even if it releases yearly.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 in 2017 consistently outperformed 2016 sales until early September (basically until Dragon Quest XI effect wear off and PS4 Slim introduction kicked in for YTD 2016).

That's how read the situation too.

PS4 last fall: Slim (with price cut), Persona 5, Pro launch, VR launch, FF XV launch
PS4 this fall: .... I guess better selling COD?

I don't see how Switch was the reason for lower second half of the year this year.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There is massive overlap between Nintendo consoles and you forget that 3DS game development is far quicker.
3Ds had 3D land?

I can't think of any addition with the one console approach other than having both 2D and 3D Zelda.

Splatoon alone is not going offset those losses even if it releases yearly.
So that doesn't a actually matter. It means more regular releases from Nintendo first party which will likely result consolidation of the million sellers to 1 platform rather than two.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Back when Orgen said there would be a Switch UE4 that would be a big story I thought it could be Pokémon.

That's an interesting thought...

If the next mainline Pokemon was on UE4 that would be a massive get for Epic. I wonder if that was part of the terms of the deal which got them working on UE4 compatibility so quickly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we worrying about the number of potential mio sellers this early in Switch life-cycle ?
Seems a bit weird.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting thought...

If the next mainline Pokemon was on UE4 that would be a massive get for Epic. I wonder if that was part of the terms of the deal which got them working on UE4 compatibility so quickly.
this is Creatures though, they only make spin-offs like Pokemon Ranger, Detective Pikachu, or PokePark. would still be a big get since Creatures probably wouldnt change engines anytime soon and that Pokemon models would be more future proof to take advantage of physically based rendering. maybe Pokemon Gen 8 will use physically based rendering as well? I cant imagine Game Freak being that forward thinking

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 last fall: Slim (with price cut), Persona 5, Pro launch, VR launch, FF XV launch

I don't see how Switch was the reason for lower second half of the year this year.
That PS4 software releases failed to generate hype doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Just for first party Everybody's Golf and Gran Turismo are Sony's big sellers in Japan. The number of new releases far exceeded last year's for the same period. A notable title in December is important loss, that's true.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
this is Creatures though, they only make spin-offs like Pokemon Ranger, Detective Pikachu, or PokePark. would still be a big get since Creatures probably wouldnt change engines anytime soon and that Pokemon models would be more future proof to take advantage of physically based rendering. maybe Pokemon Gen 8 will use physically based rendering as well? I cant imagine Game Freak being that forward thinking

Oh wow not sure how I missed that. I thought I remembered Creatures at least assisting on mainline games in the past... am I mistaken?

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This. Chris hasn't shown any data to validate his theory.

It means more regular releases from Nintendo first party which will likely result consolidation of the million sellers to 1 platform rather than two.

No it doesn't as there is massive over lap between the top titles of a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo portable. The speed of their software pipeline is also yet to be seen as games become more ambitious.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not saying it was the reason.
I'm saying it was one of the reasons.
Historically there are known cases in which a booming console compressed the sales of other "weaker" consoles active in the same timeframe.

My guess is that this effect will be more visible during 2018 when Nintendo should steadily ship more Switch consoles in Japan.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow not sure how I missed that. I thought I remembered Creatures at least assisting on mainline games in the past... am I mistaken?
you're not mistaken, but they do a lot of modeling work (including the pokemon models) for the main games. if they're working in UE4, then the texture work for the pokemon is getting a major upgrade. whether we'll see it in Game Freak's games is another question

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
4th year not 5th. PS4 was released Feb 2014 in Japan. This should be the peak of sales. Also, when Switch increases in sales by a big percentage, everything else tends to go down.
Sorry, its the 4th year indeed.

True. Do you think PS4 would have sold ~400k more this year if it wasnt for the Switch?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if the next mainline game used UE4. It seems like it would be better for them to just upgrade the engine that they know and are comfortable with, they aren't in any type of graphics arms race.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
That PS4 software releases failed to generate hype doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Just for first party Everybody's Golf and Gran Turismo are Sony's big sellers in Japan. The number of new releases far exceeded last year's for the same period. A notable title in December is important loss, that's true.

GT and Everybodys Golf had been in decline forever and I don't see how Switch affected the performance of those titles. GT Sport has had poor start in Europe (by GT standards) and US too compared to previous entries and Switch has absolutely nothing to to with decline of GT in those regions at least. Outside of those two titles I just can't come up with any title that was supposed to be hw pushing title this fall for PS4 (?). Bigger amount of releases doesn't mean that much if most of those releases don't really sell any notable amount. There was nothing like Persona or FF XV for the system this fall. Not to mention the launch of multiple new models and price cut.

I'm not saying it was the reason.
I'm saying it was one of the reasons.
Historically there are known cases in which a booming console compressed the sales of other "weaker" consoles active in the same timeframe.

My guess is that this effect will be more visible during 2018 when Nintendo should steadily ship more Switch consoles in Japan.

I mean perhaps it's one of the reasons. I just don't yet see data supporting it. PS4 would had had worse second half compared to last year even without Switch existing.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
This. Chris hasn't shown any data to validate his theory.

No it doesn't as there is massive over lap between the top titles of a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo portable. The speed of their software pipeline is also yet to be seen as games become more ambitious.
Yes it does as there will be more releases.

You act as if yearly million sellers don't exist. An over lap doesn't suddenly stop people who liked a game from buying a sequel a few years later.

Only having one platform means some million sellers that only released once per gen per platform can release more than that.

This is not a difficult concept.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
True. Do you think PS4 would have sold ~400k more this year if it wasnt for the Switch?
If Switch performed just like another WiiU I think PS4 would have had a bigger mindshare and would have sold more.
How much more is not quantifiable.
I also think with such scenario the situation of the japanese console market would have been very bleak.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if the next mainline game used UE4. It seems like it would be better for them to just upgrade the engine that they know and are comfortable with, they aren't in any type of graphics arms race.
well, they said they made new tools with Sun and Moon. maybe that means they also upgraded their rendering technologies. but the differences between the 3DS's GPU and the Switch's is so huge, I fear that Game Freak's switch game will still be underwhelming.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GT and Everybodys Golf had been in decline forever and I don't see how Switch affected the performance of those titles. GT Sport has had poor start in Europe (by GT standards) and US too compared to previous entries and Switch has absolutely nothing to to with decline of GT in those regions at least. Outside of those two titles I just can't come up with any title that was supposed to be hw pushing title this fall for PS4 (?). Bigger amount of releases doesn't mean that much if most of those releases don't really sell any notable amount. There was nothing like Persona or FF XV for the system this fall. Not to mention the launch of multiple new models and price cut.
When Switch takes almost all the money of consumers it's expected everything else will struggle to maintain momentum, it's not an unlimited market.

Status
Not open for further replies.