• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
If both consoles are within less than 7% of each as some of hinted at, it's basically a wash from a power perspective. I really hope this is true because then the differentiators are really about the games, services, UI, etc.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would look like this

A Motorstorm reboot for the generation would be nice to see...actually, what would have been nice is if DriveClub still existed and was able to have been turned into a full on all venues of Sim-cade goodness. They added that off road buggy with boost late in its life, and I thought they were hinting at something off road being added..then it died.

Feb 10, 2018
From what he told he compare Xbox One and Xbox One S but he never said the power differential is the same maybe it is less. If it is less than 5% we talk about maybe 1 or 2 fps. This is nothing.

So klee said the ps5 has a similar power differential to the X1S and OG x1?

Where did he say this? When quoting insiders I think its important to supply the quote so there is no misinformation, I'm not saying that u did this but in general I think its good conduct.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Klee saying the game he saw was running on Unreal has me very excited to see what Bend will do with Days Gone 2 if they stick with Unreal. Can't wait to come across a horde of several thousand freakers 😃

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Where did he say this? When quoting insiders I think its important to supply the quote so there is no misinformation, I'm not saying that u did this but in general I think its good conduct.

He said it. You have the search function, I can try to find it later with the search function but I need to go at home after job.

Edit: And he did not said the power differential is exactly the same this is 7% or less maybe at the end it will be less than this and maybe PS4 has a bit TFlops advantage but less memory bandwidth. We don't know. And maybe VRS of Scarlett is more efficient. Console performance comes from many factor.

Feb 10, 2018
He said it. You have the search function, I can try to find it later with the search function but I need to go at home after job.

Edit: And he did not said the power differential is exactly the same this is 7% or less maybe at the end it will be less than this and maybe PS4 has a bit TFlops advantage but less memory bandwidth. We don't know. And maybe VRS of Scarlett is more efficient. Console performance comes from many factor.

I'm just wondering if thuway saying that klee said the ps5 has the power edge is true.

I'm searching through klees posts now, I don't suppose you know when he said it?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm just wondering if thuway saying that klee said the ps5 has a 5% power advantage is true.

I'm searching through klees posts now, I don't suppose you know when he said it?

He compared the power differential to the difference of Xbox One and Xbox One S. He never give any raw number. I think it is less than 7% between the two consoles and probably from what his friend told him about the performance it is a wash.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Ok, so he didn't say ps5 has the power edge? Please answer the question directly.

He said the PS5 has a slightly power edge in June 2019 like the Andrew Reiner tweet but he gave precision telling the power differential is low after some people ask him.

It is so low than a little frequency upgrade by MS can change the power differential to the Microsoft advantage.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Dude, why are you obsessing about this so much?
tenor.gif

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Because its frustrating when posters say an insider said somthing without providing a quote.

A large portion of the thread was active at the time. He definitely said it, I remember it. We talk about things that were said by Klee, Matt, Reiner, etc. all the time. Nobody has time to go back and find the exact quote every time, that's crazy lol

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

He hinted at it. Go check his post history.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
A large portion of the thread was active at the time. He definitely said it, I remember it. We talk about things that were said by Klee, Matt, Reiner, etc. all the time. Nobody has time to go back and find the exact quote every time, that's crazy lol
Yeah I'm very surprised that Anthony missed it with how much he's in here

Feb 10, 2018

I found this.
The thing is we don't know which one is the OG X1 and which one is the 1S.
I suppose if you go by the order he said it scarlett = OG x1 and ps5 = 1s.

But its a bit different to klee saying the ps5 has the power edge, like thuway said.

Scarlett and PS5 are virtually the same.....think OG XB1 and XB1 S
images.jpg

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

I found this.
The thing is we don't know which one is the OG X1 and which one is the 1S.
I suppose if you go by the order he said it scarlett = OG x1 and ps5 = 1s.

But its a bit different to klee saying the ps5 has the power edge, like thuway said.
This post and next:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
One of the guys from Bluepoint said that their next game will not be a remaster or a remake but a reinvisioning, what do u guys think?

Feb 10, 2018
10 - 20 isn't a difference. It's identical. I think the difference at most will be a TeraFlop.
I guess we will see.
Even a tflop won't make much of a difference. If ps5 is 11tf and scarlett is 10tf its only a 10% difference.
I honestly think devs would work to parity in that situation, I doubt we would see ps5 at 2160p @ 30fps and scarlett at 2130p @ 30fps.
It will also be interesting to see if the ram and CPU are identical or not, klee has not touched on what area ps5 has an edge.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The good news for me is I found this post looking through Kleegamefan's history
So I take back what I said about insiders not specifying PS4 BC or BC in general. :) If Sony actually pulls off PS1/2/3 (PSP/Vita?) BC in a halfway decent way, I will be very hyped. I love what MS has been doing with BC, but they stopped short of adding one of the main games I wanted to play.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy it, I just don't think it will be financially feasible to have a top of the line 60cu (56 active) AMD GPU in the box, even at 499.

This time around RAM, CPU and ssd are more expensive and don't forget the cooling.

I think the max they will go is 48cus (44 active).
Also there will be a balancing act of number of cu's and clock speed.

Your suggesting the upper limit of both high cu's and high clock speed, maybe at $599 with a $100 loss, but that just does not make sense.

Also take into account that a 13tf rdna2 gpu will be a flagship card for and in 2020, I doubt it will be cheaper then $549.

I don't know why some ppl think next gen will break the trend of console hardware being small and relatively low powered compared to high spec pc's.
you seemed to have missed my last bullet point where i discuss just this.

the PS4, PS4 Pro and X1X were all based on the x80 series GPUs and had even more CUs than what AMD shipped on PCs. Pro had 40 CUs with 4 disabled. X1X had 44 CUs with 4 disabled. More than the 480 and 580 respectively. I firmly believe we will see the same next gen. Especially now that they are no longer have to release weak $399 consoles without proper cooling solutions, or have to pay for $75 kinect cameras, or worry about selling both the Pro and X1x at a profit. They will both be willing to take losses in order to get a headstart and gain momentum.

You are claiming that there is a trend of console hardware being small and relatively low powered when it was really only true for this gen. Look at the size of the PS3 CPU and GPU. Well over 500 mm2 combined. And again, it small and low powered is only true for the start of this gen. X1X and the Pro to a lesser extent, both went with bigger Polaris chips than what was available at the time. Cerny decided not clock it high, but MS went with vapor chamber cooling and were able to increase the clocks by 35% compared to the pro. Both mid gen refreshes used GPUs released the same year. Why would Sony and MS go with GPUs a year older? Especially now that we know PS5 and Scarlett both have hardware RT and the 5700XT clearly doesnt.

I think 2.0 ghz or even 1.8 ghz is insane and i have no idea how the do this even at 40 CUs. It goes against what they have done before. You talk about trends of going small and low powered and yet you are ignoring the high clocks we are seeing here. why would they go with such a high clock and not more CUs at a lower clockspeed? That right there proves that we have broken the trend. So its pointless to assume that we will follow the trends.

If we look at trends, we shouldnt be accepting a $329 Zen 2 8 core CPU either. Jaguar was cheap and weak. If we base everything off of the $399 PS4 and X1 generation then we should assume a weak CPU.

There is no way they are going with a smaller chip hoping to hit insanely high clocks as a hail marry right at the very end. its too risky. I dont know if its going to be 56 CUs or 54 or 52 CUs. But i highly doubt they settled for 44 with the hope that they could hit 2.0 ghz clockspeeds in a console.

Dont pay too much attention to the MSRP of these cards. they are inflated and designed to be sold for profit. the PS4 APU cost $100 and included a jaguar CPU and a 20 CU GPU going for $350. Desktop GPUs prices include the entire card, not just the chip. fans, ram, and other chips on the board. Console makers just get one die from AMD and do the rest themselves for a fraction of the cost. SSDs shouldnt cost that much more than the HDD in 2020. Same goes for RAM. Vapor chamber cooling should cost that much more than the standard cooling solution in the PS4. You are looking at $10-15 extra for each item. The console is going to sell for $499, they have an extra $100 to make up for a bigger APU, SSD, RAM and Cooling hardware.

And a $100 loss on every console is $1.5 billion for the entire year for 15 million consoles. Or roughly $400 million per quarter. they just posted $2.1 billion in profit in the last quarter. they can take that loss over the course of the first year. their stock was $14 at the Feb 20 PS meeting in 2013. Its almost $60 now. they didnt have billions coming in from PS+ subs every year. they do now. their first party games barely sold a million in their first month. now they sell millions in weeks. Digital store revenue is higher than ever. they made $12 billion revenue from Playstation store alone last year. Why would they pull a PS4 and launch a console without a $100 loss?

P.S And the most important reason why we should ignore the PS4/x1 generation and not use that to make assumptions? Phil Spencer. Sony isnt going up against Don Matrick. They are going up against the Yankees. Sure, there is a chance they think they can beat them with a small payroll team but as the Red Sox eventually realized, you need to spend or even outspend the yankees to beat them.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
To be fair, Matt predicted Scarlett is more powerful and he is probably more connected than I am, so....

That said, I was told that yes, PS5 is more powerful.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, Matt predicted Scarlett is more powerful and he is probably more connected than I am, so....

That said, I was told that yes, PS5 is more powerful.
To be fair he had to say that at that time as the thread went to hell and was unapproachable haha . So he needed to say something to bring the thread back to calm state and he said based on his own feeling .

Status
Not open for further replies.