• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bonus Content:
ELq803wW4AAymE8
"Remember, Sony, when I promised to reveal my console last? ... I lied".

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no evidence for this, and it's actually kinda nonsensical. MS has made statements during the 360 era that the Xbox division was expected to sink or swim on its own. It won't be floated by profits from MS Office. The Xbox also contributes comparatively little to MS's bottom line. If they cancel it tomorrow few investors would care that much.

The Playstation on the other hand is critical to the survival of Sony as an entity, and makes up a huge chunk of corporate profits and revenue. The PS division itself is also hugely profitable and hugely liquid where the Xbox division is not. If anyone has incentive to be aggressive and lose money on the system, it's Sony.

MS has had huge losses in the past. They wrote off 7.6 billion from the Nokia deal. The Surface Mini was a physical device that was ready to launch and Nadella canned it at the last minute. The fact that Xbox doesn't contribute much to the bottom line of MS means it's even more likely for them to take a loss on each console than Sony. Also, this isn't the 360 era...at all. They recently spent tons of money on new studios. They purchased Mixer (Beam). They are pouring money in xCloud and Game Pass. MS also had about 35 Billion more in revenue than Sony did in 2018.

It's not like any of that matters though. This isn't a pissing match about who can lose more money. I'll just agree to disagree.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
New theory about Lockhart: Maybe is's releasing in mid to end of 2021 and will use 5nm and be somthing like 200-299$.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind conspiracy theory level speculation we can cook up in this new thread.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The OP is outstanding.

The likely explanation is that he's referring to a simply 6TF-12TF situation.

When it comes to marketing, "keep it short and simple" is the name of the game. Or to put it another way, if Microsoft just announced that the XSX was "twice as powerful" as the Xbox One X (these names are TERRIBLE). If official specs for the machine ACTUALLY came down to something like 6TF to 10.2TF or whatever, having to backtrack and explain the difference between GCN and RDNA flops to look like you weren't just lying or trying to inflate your numbers would be a completely boneheaded move that costs them credibility.

Almost nobody understands the difference between GCN and RDNA, even within these threads which are full of enthusiasts. It's best not to bring the subject up at all- let enthusiast publications do it for you if you MUST get into the weeds on it. I'm giving MS the benefit of the doubt by assuming they're bright enough to get this.

I absolutely agree with what you're saying about not going into the nitty gritty because no one cares about teraflops, they care about real world performance - Which is why I would imagine he would say "2.5x as powerful" or "3x as powerful", completly ignoring teraflops - if it was actually 12 TF RDNA 1 or 2.
Right now, with what he stated, he would be underselling the console quite a bit. "They did the math, and it's 2x as powerful..."

He could explain discrepancy with teraflops easily in a tweet directed towards enthusiasts - "2.5/3x as powerful thanks to the new architecture improvements".

However, unless Sony absolutely knows the MS specs, it might make sense to undersell slightly at this early stage. But would I count on that? Maybe coupled with the insider info it may be plausible.
But for now, I assume based of what he actually said that it's 'only' twice as powerful. But I guess, for some fucked up reason, he could have just been referring to the TF number...but ... it makes no sense to me to do that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New theory about Lockhart: Maybe is's releasing in mid to end of 2021 and will use 5nm and be somthing like 200-299$.
I don't think the new X would be called Series X if it weren't launching alongside something else, in addition to the fact that launching the weaker console well after the stronger one sounds like a dick move.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Being that the PSVR stuff is baked into the silicon itself on the PS5 I wonder if it'll mean the Sony device will be weaker

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've seen quite a few comments interpreting the new generation name as "Xbox Series" with S and X being two consoles in the series. That's completely opposite to my read, which is that they've gone for a generation-free name. The Xbox family now contains "Series X", consisting of Anaconda and the Xbox One X, and "Series S" consisting of Lockhart and the Xbox One S. is there any public statement clarifying Microsoft's intent in these names?

It will get weirder when the next entries come along because we'll have The New Xbox Series X. Or we'll start using names like XBSX 2020 and XBSX 2024 to identify the year a specific model come out. Still, for now it's easy enough! Xbox Series X made a solid statement last night and set the bar (as promised!) for what to expect from the new generation.

... but what about the article that came out a few days ago stating "Microsoft told IGN that the next-gen Xbox will have a name that describes its purpose"? I guess if read as intending to replace the Xbox One X it makes some sense, but that seems like a strange interpretation of the purpose of a game console. That seems a little overly focused on its purpose from Microsoft's point of view, not necessarily it's prospective customers' perspective.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Great thread, Mecha Meister.

Next gen is looks really exciting.

I hope Xbox announces Fable 4 and Lost Odyssey 2 along with something new to make choosing a pain next year.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Just how big is this thing? Microsoft hasn't released official dimensions yet, but extrapolating from the various standard ports we can see in the trailer, it seems to be approximately 12.28 in (312 mm) x 6.2 in (157 mm) x 6.2 in (157 mm).
Compared to an Xbox One X at 11.81 in (300 mm) x 9.45 in (240 mm) x 2.36 in (60 mm), the Xbox Series X has a far larger volume, most likely to accommodate airflow and the technology inside it. Microsoft has stated that it built it this way to ensure that it is virtually silent while powering next-gen cutting edge visuals."

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think fridges and freezers are good at keeping things cool, but bad at actually cooling them...

Anyone else wish MS had called it Xbox Infinite?

"Series X" lacks any kind of whimsy, it's so corporate.
Just call it Xbox 4x. Series X is way too confusing to anyone who is not an enthusiast gamer. I still remember going into the bestbuy at 10AM on Wii U's launch and a finding a sole woman standing in the Wii U section trying to figure out if that was a new console or not. clearly she had been sent there by her son to pick it up on day 1 but even the lady who showed up couldnt figure out why it was named Wii U instead of Wii 2.

the idea itself is great. S vs X. Hell, im even ok with keeping the Series in the name, but it has to have a name. Infinite, 4, Scarlett. You have to give your product a name.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've seen quite a few comments interpreting the new generation name as "Xbox Series" with S and X being two consoles in the series. That's completely opposite to my read, which is that they've gone for a generation-free name. The Xbox family now contains "Series X", consisting of Anaconda and the Xbox One X, and "Series S" consisting of Lockhart and the Xbox One S. is there any public statement clarifying Microsoft's intent in these names?

It will get weirder when the next entries come along because we'll have The New Xbox Series X. Or we'll start using names like XBSX 2020 and XBSX 2024 to identify the year a specific model come out. Still, for now it's easy enough! Xbox Series X made a solid statement last night and set the bar (as promised!) for what to expect from the new generation.

I'm guessing it will follow the Apple Watch model: Series X is, literally, Series 10. Next one after that will be Series 11 (or XI) or something like that. That way they can get around the straight numbering model while they number themselves above PS.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So the popular theory is that Lockhart will be named Series S & announced later, right?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1zHhqXn.png

I don't hate the appearance, I just find it a very uninspiring design.
i couldnt disagree more. i find the design bold and different. it screams next gen. i love the matte finish too. i said this in the last thread, i am tired of everything looking like VCRs. this is 2019. we are in the future we dreamed about in the 80s and yet we are stuck with the same old vcr designs trying to stifle creativity to keep our living rooms looking sufficiently boring.

i couldnt care less about my living room. my gaming center is in my man cave and even if i had to put this thing in my living room, i would proudly place right in the center. it looks much more pleasing than a giant PC which has been in my living room back when i was in a smaller apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.