• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Villain Cover

• Volume 21

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Volume 42

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Volume 77

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Volume 87

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
The gap between spoilers, scanlations and the official release is too big. Don't even like visiting this thread the latter half of the week these days.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tama is just much better. Your fave could never do this

ffIRu3L.png

Anyone can eat food bro :P

The gap between spoilers, scanlations and the official release is too big. Don't even like visiting this thread the latter half of the week these days.

But we behave all the time

Bro.....

How the fuck you survive for ten years living on stilts

I'm going to bed

Lmao

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Your intimidation tactics won't work anymore
AHFI56vm.jpg

Tch, when did you get so strong

giphy.gif

Y'all know the deal. Back with more thoughts on One Piece! Put them in spoiler tags cause the shit is long, son.

SKY ISLAND SAGA
Jaya Arc

j_Jh6s.gif

Talked about it a bit before, but I really loved how this arc. It started a bit 50/50 for me, as I loved that Robin joined the crew but I wasn't really feeling Masira and the other monkey guys. I did appreciate the adventure aspect of them diving underwater for information, as I make my way through this series the more adventure like chapters pull me in more than the standard battle shonen stuff. Usually not the case for me so I find that pretty special. Anyway, the crew heads into Mock Town pretty quickly from there and the rest of the saga is fire.

I really like pirate towns, so I enjoyed Mock Town a lot. Funny that much of my enjoyment came from how I hated Bellamy, but I think he was a necessary evil. It was nice seeing Luffy and Zoro stick to their ideals, reminded me of when Shanks got his ass beat long ago doing the same thing. Blackbeard recognizing that they won that battle was interesting too. Matter of fact, everything about Blackbeard is intriguing. When I first saw him at the bar I thought he was a no name or at best fodder, but by the time they head to Skypeia that's obviously not the case. I'm getting ahead of myself, almost forgot about Montblanc and the stuff that happens on Jaya!

So the Strawhats go off to meet Montblanc Cricket and see if he knows how to get them to the Sky Island. Turns out he does, and he turns out to be a pretty nice guy as well. It was here that the monkey guys grew on me as they all partied with the Straw Hats. After seeing how evil Bellamy and his crew was, it was easy to like the guys helping out our main characters. I got a kick out of that bird and how it tried to use the forest to kill them, too. Cheeky little bugger.

Just as it looks like they'll be able to make it to Sky Island, Bellamy and his boys show up to cause more trouble. If there's one thing I hate it's jackasses who stomp on other people's dreams. Very much like Luffy in that regard, so you can believe I was ready for Bellamy to get his shit pushed in. As expected, Luffy did not disappoint. The best one hit K.O. in the series thus far(I feel like there's been a lot tbh so that's saying something)

With the story of Noland in their minds and a promise to ring a bell(Anybody else think Tales of Vesperia?) in their hearts, they set sail for the knock up stream. As awesome as Skypeia ended up being, I am a little salty they left just as things in the Blue Seas were getting interesting. Chapter 234 still has me shook - new Shichibukai's, seeing the World Government for the first time, and Blackbeard just straight up coming for the Strawhats- I need to see what happens! I thought for sure some of those strands would be picked up immediately, but nope.

I'm not too upset. They did have to take down a false god.

SKYPEIA ARC

e873c4664df5544a5b06dfff346ef89e878f5ed5r1-435-250_hq.gif

Aesthetically, Skypeia is my favorite island yet. I mean, how could it not be? It's a city in the sky! That's like a car that runs on water, man. I also feel like the exposition was handled really well in the first couple of chapters. Meeting Gan Fall, Conis, her dad, and finding out about the dials all felt organic. I love how Oda is staying consistent with the characters - Nami being the only one to know how to work a Waver makes sense and I feel like other writers would've given Luffy the natural skill to ride it because he's the MC. It might not be the best example, but I dig how despite being the strongest Strawhat the other crewmates all feel capable.

The arc has to get started, and before we know it the Strawhats are betrayed and forced to go through trials. I thought the arrival of Enel's lackeys and Conis' betrayal was excellently done. At this point we only know Enel from what others have said, and seeing how much control he has over everyone lets us know he's gonna be a tough cookie. That and the fact that he can just nuke you with a lightning bolt if you talk shit. Seriously, that's OP.

While I did enjoy the trials and had things just kept balloning in scope with the Shandians arriving and then Enel getting invovled himself, it felt really similar to the climax of the Alabasta Arc. There were more than enough differences that it did not feel like a complete retread, but at the same time....having one force rebelling against the ones in power with the Strawhats stuck in the middle is exactly what happened at the climax of the last saga. Even Conis arriving in town and convincing the sky peeps to run felt similar to Vivi trying to get the rebels and the guard to listen to her. I know it was a lot easier for Conis to persuade people, but still...

The fights were also similar but still enjoyable. I'm never gonna not love seeing Zoro wreck shit, and I did love his takedown of Ohm. Chopper and Robin's fights were great as well. Chopper stepping up to the plate was overdue, because honestly after Drum Island I thought he'd be fighting a lot more. Hope he continues fighting instead of running, leave that to Usopp. While Robin's fight was pretty much a stomp after she got clear of the ruins the hands are growing on me. Wonder how a conversation between her and Shigaraki from MHA would go.

Let's talk about Enel and the other side characters though. Enel stole the show, as every time he showed up on page I wondered who he was going to murk next. I really thought Sanji and Usopp were taken out for the rest of the arc when they got burned the first time. His plan was also sadistic and petty, which is great for a villain. I got a kick out of him laying the rules of the game and predicting how many would be left at the end of the three hours. That whole run of chapters was great, largely because of the arrival of the Shandians and Enel. Unlike last arc, I think the side characters were the MVPs here. With the exception of Luffy(who's always cool) and Robin(who just intrigues me) when I think about what happened I keep seeing Gan Fall saving Chopper and being a badass even in defeat. Or Wyper using reject on that tree to finally bring it down. Speaking of Wyper, guy used reject 3 times and his body didn't shatter. Put some respek on his name.

My favorite part of this whole saga might've been the Noland/Kalgara flashback. Seeing the two start to bond the way they did made me unexpectedly emotional. While it sucks they never got to reunite during their lifetime, seeing the whole story of how part of the island was launched into the sky and how the two never gave up on each other made me cheer even harder when Luffy kicked Enel's ass and rung the bell. I didn't like the Luffy vs. Enel fight as much as Luffy vs. Crocodile because I feel the pacing was off and therefore the fight didn't feel like that much of a priority, BUT that last moment was sublime. Plus, it looks like Enel escaped so I'm sure we'll see more of him.

All in all, another great saga. If Alabasta was a 9/10, Sky Island Saga is an 8/10. Feels a little too similar to Alabasta in places. However, I'll miss the island for sure. I'm ready to see what the World Government, Shichibukai's, Blackbeard, and Ace have been up to though!
Thank you for this, loved to read it all. It makes me happy to see you enjoyed those two arcs so much, especially the flashback. These are arcs I realized I had been sleeping on for a while cause even though I liked them the first time, when I re-read them last year I enjoyed them immensely more than I thought I would and they're now among my favorites in the series.

If I didn't already know you were a real one, seeing you open the Skypiea part with Golden Rifle would've convinced me.

Fire Force Op has no business being this good.
For real, it's amazing. It's one of my favorite aspects of the adaptation.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
If Tamaki didn't exist I'd call fire Force almost as good as Soul Eater

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 907 Romance Dawn
Thought Anne would be an early version of Nami but blue hair and Balloon made it seem more like Vivi and Karoo.

peace-pirate Garp hype

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Reyes I can't remember did Wano have a scene yet that rivals the best postskip one aka Luffy leaving Katakuri with the hat covering his mouth?

I'm gonna go with no since I'd remember it.

If Tamaki didn't exist I'd call fire Force almost as good as Soul Eater
SE had a humongous quality drop when Arachne showed up that kept continuing till the end. As for Tamaki, yeah I was surprised how on the nose all that ecchi shit with her is.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Thank you for this, loved to read it all. It makes me happy to see you enjoyed those two arcs so much, especially the flashback. These are arcs I realized I had been sleeping on for a while cause even though I liked them the first time, when I re-read them last year I enjoyed them immensely more than I thought I would and they're now among my favorites in the series.

If I didn't already know you were a real one, seeing you open the Skypiea part with Golden Rifle would've convinced me.
UnripeAnxiousDrever-size_restricted.gif

Aww, thanks bro! Glad you're enjoying these, it's great motivation for me to keep writing these long write ups haha

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My schedule frees up in February and one of the first things I'm going to do is marathon all the episodes of One Piece I missed.

Right now pretty much all my free time has been devoted to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, a game I fell in love with once again. Easily one of the best RPGs of the decade.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Someone here talkin bout Part 4?

Don't mind my avatar but who's your favourite character in it?
It can only be the man, the myth, the legend Okuyasu. There are tons of great hype and emotional moments in JoJo part 4 and
Okuyasu has all of my favorite moments haha. Like outside of his dumb fun scenes how can you not love the man when he has moments like
"In the end my brother saved me didn't he? Joskue, you saw it, right?" and the entire sequence where he comes back from the dead at the very end! I don't care who you are if you didn't get excited/relived that
Okuyasu was still alive when you hear the Hands sound effect. Then I don't think you have a soul lmao.
Oh and don't even get me started on the rest of part 4. Cause I am literally JoJo part 4 > every other JoJo part. What about you?

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda
It can only be the man, the myth, the legend Okuyasu. There are tons of great hype and emotional moments in JoJo part 4 and
Okuyasu has all of my favorite moments haha. Like outside of his dumb fun scenes how can you not love the man when he has moments like
"In the end my brother saved me didn't he? Joskue, you saw it, right?" and the entire sequence where he comes back from the dead at the very end! I don't care who you are if you didn't get excited/relived that
Okuyasu was still alive when you hear the Hands sound effect. Then I don't think you have a soul lmao.
Oh and don't even get me started on the rest of part 4. Cause I am literally JoJo part 4 > every other JoJo part. What about you?
Man would be so OP if he was smart

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My schedule frees up in February and one of the first things I'm going to do is marathon all the episodes of One Piece I missed.

Right now pretty much all my free time has been devoted to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, a game I fell in love with once again. Easily one of the best RPGs of the decade.
I've been playing it to and honestly it makes me even more hyped for SMTV. God I can't wait to play that one. Gonna be one of the best RPG's of the 2020's I can feel it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to pick Vinland Saga back up and it's amazing as ever. Loving it.

Canute became so goddamn cool holy shit!!!!!
And I love how that whole situation ended, with Askeladd seeing how his gamble payed off and being impressed to the point of revealing the truth so quickly. And now Thorkell's an ally, love to see it. His stuff about wanting to understand what a real warrior is is so cool.

OP
OP
Reyes
I managed to pick Vinland Saga back up and it's amazing as ever. Loving it.

Canute became so goddamn cool holy shit!!!!!
And I love how that whole situation ended, with Askeladd seeing how his gamble payed off and being impressed to the point of revealing the truth so quickly. And now Thorkell's an ally, love to see it. His stuff about wanting to understand what a real warrior is is so cool.

Nice almost done with the series

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM Eternal comes out in march as well. I have to have some DOOM

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is so good. I think I beat it like 10 times on Gamecube

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I like re tho for some strange reason
I caught up on all of them late last year except 3 . Playing thru now code Veronica stopped for kakarot.

Re2 my fav but I think the remake the reason why. Funny enough I'm not big on 4. I liked 5, 6 was way too janky. And 7 is a gem
RE has a very cool b-movie charm to it. The characters are awesome and the atmosphere the games create through the story, settings, and music is superb. The OG trilogy especially. You just can't beat RE1-3 for me, even though I love the whole series. RE2make is my game of the gen so I'm beyond ready for RE3. Love Jill too so the hype is palpable

I'm glad you're enjoying the series. If you haven't, I recommend playing RE2Remake again with the original OST. Dat save room theme

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky Emblems weren't too bad to get.
But Critical... I went with a NG+ to keep my Ultima Weapon, but man the Titan trio is whooping my ass.

Oct 27, 2017

tumblr_inline_pq5wo4rnZh1ub1ir1_500.gifv

Nice choice!!!

I really love Okuyasu and his friendship with Josuke, its one of the few friendships that really gets to breathe outside of the main plot or fights, you get to see them being legit dumb teenage best friends in Morioh

Okuyasu really is a beautiful addition to the show and my favourite Jobro just because of what he represents

And I'm only halfway through part 7 atm but so far yes Part 4 is by far my favourite because of its cozy little setting and how comfortable it is just telling stories of the characters chilling in it

It just meant when the main plot kicked in I cared far more about the characters because I'd seen what they had to lose

I was deeply hurt when Okuyasu "died" and it was the saddest death in the series for me despite not being sold to us as super sad and dramatic

The sudden nature of it and Josuke's refusal to accept his best friend was gone just hurt my fucking soul bro and when Josuke eventually accepts he's gone and quietly stands up and declares Kira would pay I felt that, that silent rage was palpable

THEN THE MOTHERFUCKER LIVES the catharsis and relief I had legit tears in my eyes at his goofy "oop" as he wrangled up stray cat

Best duo in all JoJo for me in the best part in what I've seen so far

Status
Not open for further replies.