• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I think they would rather wait until after TLOU2 if they could, but the delay to the end of May might make that impractical. They really need to reveal it before E3, so that their partners can announce their games there if they want to. Assuming E3 happens, of course.

I think an announcement in the late April/early May timeframe makes sense.

Why everyone seems to think that it's impossible that the reveal takes place in March ?

Since late January, everybody seems to be like "it's February of April or May" but never March!

March had been canceled this year? Did I missed something?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why everyone seems to think that it's impossible that the reveal takes place in March ?

Since late January, everybody seems to be like "it's February of April or May"

GDC runs through March 20th and Sony isn't going because of the coronavirus. They aren't going to hold an event that month. If any reveal happens during that month it'll have to be some sort of SoP-type stream.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
GDC runs through March 20th and Sony isn't going because of the coronavirus. They aren't going to hold an event that month. If any reveal happens during that month it'll have to be some sort of SoP-type stream.

1- That is not making April more logical...
2- But they actually can doing a full online pre-recorded reveal that's the thing
3- After all Sony said to investors that the calendar will be almost the same as the one for PS4, making March logical
4- Has I've said, people resons like that since late January, way before the covid-19 considerations

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Gearbox just reiterated today more Godfall info is coming "really, really soon". They are not going to wait until summer for this reveal.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so dead right now. I didn't think we could go any deeper XD
You should enjoy the original one as well lol
State-of-Patience.jpg

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be a State of Play at this point. Don't get your hopes up for a live press conference for the initial reveal.
I believe a live event will happen, but it will be closer to the launch.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Gearbox just reiterated today more Godfall info is coming "really, really soon". They are not going to wait until summer for this reveal.

I mean, there's really nothing stopping them from showing it on their own. Sony's not publishing or funding the project, so they aren't tied to them in a way where they need to show it at Sony events.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that a physical event is totally ruled out, unless it happens in September or October.
It's starting to feel like it. I don't care as long as we get a good chunk of info of PS5 and gameplay of next-gen games.
Could eventually be fun if it was not incorrect

(come one, PS4 library running on PS5 is just official since April 2019 guys..)
My guess is they meant about any enhancements with PS4 BC.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I mean, there's really nothing stopping them from showing it on their own. Sony's not publishing or funding the project, so they aren't tied to them in a way where they need to show it at Sony events.

But you can't show actual gameplay and features details if the console your game is designed for aren't been officially revealed.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
"Sony and Epic were kind enough to let us show Godfall at the Game Awards..."

Sounds like Sony does have some say here and it's not entirely up to Gearbox to just show the game as they please.

But you can't show actual gameplay and features details if the console your game is designed for aren't been officially revealed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Since late January, everybody seems to be like "it's February of April or May" but never March!

I have my reasons.

I mean, first, I think Sony thought they would be busy with PAX/GDC stuff in March. That's already two back-to-back events for their events team; preparing for a third at the same time would have been a lot.

Second, end of March is a busy time in general for a lot of companies, with the end of the fiscal year and all.

Third, I think they'd be looking for an opportune time to break into the media cycle. I don't think they'd want to risk having their PS5 event on the same day that, say, Apple has an event. Apple often has an event in late March, and there are only so many weekdays in March.

Fourth, I don't think it makes strategic sense for them to reveal it that soon. I think they'd want to wait until after FFVII, if they possibly could (and they can). They really view that game as a potential sales driver. I also think they want to have one more State of Play focused on the PS4 and its titles; that's a better candidate for March I think.

And fifth, I simply think that if the reveal was in the first half of the month, they would have probably already told everybody, even if it was a stream instead of a live event.

So yeah, I have my reasons. And most of them would be good reasons not to expect a reveal even if there wasn't a global health crisis messing up everyone's plans right now, and one that might actually change the details of the product's release.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
I wonder what's the hold-up with the FF7R preview embargo, the event was already over two weeks ago now. Maybe they're waiting for the pre-delay release date?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

It's a PC game as well. Why wouldn't they be able to show it running on that?

"Sony and Epic were kind enough to let us show Godfall at the Game Awards..."

Sounds like Sony does have some say here and it's not entirely up to Gearbox to just show the game as they please.

They seem involved it on some level, but the game was unveiled at The Game Awards and then they just spoke about it again at PAX. So, it was revealed at a non-Sony event and then talked about at an event that Sony pulled out of. That's why i'm saying it doesn't seem like it needs to be a Sony event for them to show it again.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019

First, thanks for the answer, good arguments.
May I answer back to some :

I mean, first, I think Sony thought they would be busy with PAX/GDC stuff in March. That's already two back-to-back events for their events team; preparing for a third at the same time would have been a lot.

Well, we wera all guessing late february. So the timing is not that different...

end of March is a busy time in general for a lot of companies, with the end of the fiscal year and all.

But wouldn't it be ideal to reveal before the end of the fiscal year ?

I don't think they'd want to risk having their PS5 event on the same day that, say, Apple has an event. Apple often has an event in late March, and there are only so many Tuesdays.

That wasn't a problem for PS Meeting 2016 (and Sony's event aren't forced to be on tuesdays...)
Okay, that was "just" for PS4 Pro, but it takes plakes like... 1H or so after Appel keynote ? And the september one is THE Apple keynote

I don't think it makes strategic sense for them to reveal it that soon. I think they'd want to wait until after FFVII, if they possibly could (and they can). They really view that game as a potential sales driver

If you're starting like that we can say the same about The Last of Us Part II and them about Ghost of Tsushima... Let's all go for an october reveal ?

*Insert friendly reminder that PS4 was announced before the released of God of Was Ascension, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Gran Turismo 6...*

I simply think that if the reveal was in the first half of the month, they would have probably already told everybody, even if it was a stream instead of a live event.

Still possible for a couple of days. With online reveal you can told everybody a litlle bit latter than for a physical reveal (About 3 weeks before for PSM 2013... For a online reveal, 10/15 days are totally enough). And Xbox just swung their spec without warning on a random afternoom (and Sony made it twice for PS5 info with Wired articles)...

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we can go with the "Sony should wait until X game is out" logic regarding a PS5 reveal. They have a marketing deal for Avengers in September, is that the new "worst case scenario"?

They seem involved it on some level, but the game was unveiled at The Game Awards and then they just spoke about it again at PAX. So, it was revealed at a non-Sony event and then talked about at an event that Sony pulled out of. That's why i'm saying it doesn't seem like it needs to be a Sony event for them to show it again.
The Godfall segment at PAX was just the TGA trailer again followed with the line about more news coming soon. I think it's fairly logical to assume Epic and Gearbox want to tie Godfall very closely to PS5 and it's hype cycle regardless of whether Sony is fronting the marketing dollars.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should live stream a press conference at Jack Trettons house, Cerny can write the PS5 specs on a whiteboard and we can have some off screen gameplay from Trettons TV.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
As of Feb 26th, Goal 2 of the community event will be completed soon
  • 375 000/375 000 games played (100%)
  • 779 547/1 500 000 Trophies earned (52%)

Goal 1 was :
125k games played so 250k+ games played in 1 day for Goal 2
500k Trophies earned so 279k+ Trophies earned in 1 day for Goal 2

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well, we wera all guessing late february. So the timing is not that different...

And you were all wrong to be guessing late February, so…maybe the point is valid?

If you're starting like that we can say the same about The Last of Us Part II

I did just say that. Just now, in this thread, in a post that you quoted.

I think Sony would have liked to be able to reveal the PS5 after TLOU2, if they could, for the same reasons they would prefer to reveal PS5 after FFVII. The difference is that revealing after TLOU2 is impractically close to E3, which is really the only hard-and-fast deadline that the PS5 must be revealed by. A reveal after FFVII isn't pushing the limits of practicality in the same way.

*Insert friendly reminder that PS4 was announced before the released of God of Was Ascension, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Gran Turismo 6...*

Thanks for the "reminder," but I'd argue that the PS4 announcement hype absolutely overshadowed the lead-up to the release of God of War: Ascension, which underperformed.

So maybe, looking back on it, they should have revealed the PS4 in April or May too?

Sony is a learning company. They have the ability to look at what they did and how it worked out and do different things in the future.

I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we can go with the "Sony should wait until X game is out" logic regarding a PS5 reveal. They have a marketing deal for Avengers in September, is that the new "worst case scenario"?

Having a stacked Q2 lineup means it makes sense for Sony to try to keep the focus on that, so they'd want to announce the PS5 as late as is practical.

That really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp, y'all.

Last edited:

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Having a stacked Q2 lineup means it makes sense for Sony to try to keep the focus on that, so they'd want to announce the PS5 as late as is practical.
It's too late not to overshadow PS4. Sony began openly discussing next gen almost a full year ago and announced a release window a few months ago. If the goal was not to take shine off PS4 and it's lineup until some undetermined time in 2020, they should have reconsidered whether those Wired articles were a good idea. At least partially as a result of that, PS4 sales have already begun to decline faster than PS3 at the same relative point in time.

Beyond that, we're going to hit a point (soon in my opinion) where their silence on PS5 is going to overshadow anything else they might want to talk about. Do you guys think a PS4 only State of Play announcement would NOT be meant with a good amount of negativity right now?

Oct 25, 2017
It's too late not to overshadow PS4. Sony began openly discussing next gen almost a full year ago and announced a release window a few months ago. If the goal was not to take shine off PS4 and it's lineup until some undetermined time in 2020, they should have reconsidered whether those Wired articles were a good idea. At least partially as a result of that, PS4 sales have already begun to decline faster than PS3 at the same relative point in time.

Beyond that, we're going to hit a point (soon in my opinion) where their silence on PS5 is going to overshadow anything else they might want to talk about. Do you guys think a PS4 only State of Play announcement would NOT be meant with a good amount of negativity right now?
The whole they need to keep focus on these games loses all merit when they literally put out an article the month of days gone release, concrete genie was still coming, death stranding, medievil,dreams. Like NOW it's they gotta focus on this and that cuz tlou2 coming. The wired article and the big logo reveal don't really make sense to me if they were gonna wait this long

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's the hold-up with the FF7R preview embargo, the event was already over two weeks ago now. Maybe they're waiting for the pre-delay release date?
Yeah I think you're right, they probably want it a little closer to when the game comes out. With the delay to April for the actual release the previews coming out now would probably be a little too early.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there pressure on Sony to go first on price? All they need to do is reveal the console with whatever games will be releasing close to launch, specs, controller, and...that's about it. The sooner this happens, the sooner people can finally shut up. Save price for after.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Is there pressure on Sony to go first on price? All they need to do is reveal the console with whatever games will be releasing close to launch, specs, controller, and...that's about it. The sooner this happens, the sooner people can finally shut up. Save price for after.
Considering their silence and patience on announcing any further PS5 news, I would say there's no pressure felt, but tons of fan pressure due to hype.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Sony revealed the PS4 price in June 2013 during the E3 conference. The PS Meeting in February was all abouts specs, features and games.
But if the rumor is true that the PS5 is weaker and the difference is 3TF, then they need to reveal the price day 1 at the reveal event.
Otherwise it would look like as if the PS5 was 3TF weaker but has the same price as the stronger competition.
Which kinda explains Sony's wait-and-see approach right now.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Beyond that, we're going to hit a point (soon in my opinion) where their silence on PS5 is going to overshadow anything else they might want to talk about.

If you look at the responses to PS tweets they're already there.

I think only TLOUII and GoTsu have the clout to cut through the 'PS5 when?' replies.

TBH at this point a beer mat with the specs and features list would do me.

Oct 25, 2017
Well Sony revealed the PS4 price in June 2013 during the E3 conference. The PS Meeting in February was all abouts specs, features and games.
But if the rumor is true that the PS5 is weaker and the difference is 3TF, then they need to reveal the price day 1 at the reveal event.
Otherwise it would look like as if the PS5 was 3TF weaker but has same price as the stronger competition.
Which kinda explains Sony's wait-and-see approach right now.

That rumour is horse shit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys think a PS4 only State of Play announcement would NOT be meant with a good amount of negativity right now?

I'm sure some gamers would be negative, because some gamers are impatient children, but that doesn't mean Sony wouldn't do it if it made sense to. Every tweet they make has dozens of replies from people begging for the PS5, but that hasn't stopped them from tweeting to promote their other products.

Some gamers were highly negative when Nintendo announced an Animal Crossing direct instead of a general direct, but that doesn't mean it didn't make sense for Nintendo to promote Animal Crossing and keep the focus on that for a little while longer, rather than announce a bunch of new stuff, so that's what they did.

You don't have a PS5 event and then throw in at the end "oh, here's our cool-looking PS4 FFVII bundle!" You get those announcements out of the way ahead of time.

I think there's still enough that they could build a PS4 SoP around that they could have a satisfying stream for most rational gamers. PS4 has a very strong 2020 and there are still unannounced games in the pipeline from Sony's partners.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Last time SIE slowly dripfed info about a gaming product we got the PS Classic, so I assume the X1SX has them beat specs-wise and they're just taking their time planning how to frame the reveal in a positive light. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Last time SIE slowly dripfed info about a gaming product we got the PS Classic, so I assume the X1X has them beat specs-wise and they're just taking their time planning how to frame the reveal in a positive light. I could be wrong though.

They are just following their roadmap .And there is no way to have a positive light when your product will be less powerful. One of the first news we will have everywhere is "PS5 is more/less powerful than XSX". There is no way to avoid that so... I think they are just following the roadmap.

Status
Not open for further replies.