Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Please don't do this. People have already gotten in trouble for derailing.
How is it derailing when it pertains to the topic at hand. We are like headless chickens going around trying to figure out these specs and a person comes in and states that he knows it. It like entertainment for the person with the information watching people go back and forth like a ping pong

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Many insiders have said they think Sony will be 8-9TF and/or Xbox will have a 15%+ advantage.

I also don't know how out of date or relevant the information is from other insiders so I can't say for sure.

Name these insiders that say that PS5 will be 8 to 9 TF.
All i can remember is Al saying that and he was guessing not saying it as a fact since he said things can also change.
A few insiders said MS will be more powerful but they never gave a number or a percentage.

Oct 25, 2017
If I had legit info, I wouldn't say a word here. People don't listen anyway lol.

Even Jason, with a reputation like his, is hand waved so Github can run wild.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I try to sell you a gaming laptop that is .3" thick, and tell you it has a 95W CPU and a 150W GPU, you wouldn't side eye the deal and wonder if it's going to explode under load?

Think in that type of scenario.

That said, of 100 million PS4 owners, 1 million know the power consumption, so no, the average person does not give a fuck. They just wonder why it's a jet engine in ignorance. <<--- That was for illustrative purposes please don't take it seriously.
Got it. I've built like 4 PCs in my lifetime and the only thing I ever cared about was making sure my power supply had enough wattage to support my GPU and stuff. I never gave a shit about how hot it got. Slap a cheap fan on it and voila. :)

beta

Dec 31, 2019
You can emulate backwards compatibility using existing PC hardware. There's no need to spend millions (and more importantly, years of silicon engineering time) doing it.

But you can't do it perfectly without a huge advantage over the original machine and cycle perfect emulation. This is the point where hardware BC makes sense if the modifications are minor.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What else do you think the dev kit towers were ?

Why would Cerny describe a 13TF dev kit as "low speed" for a system targeting 9.2TF? I'm sorry, but there's no way that fits the facts. Either the final silicon is faster than anything available at the time for the dev kit, in which case the final system would be significantly faster rather than slower, or early silicon couldn't be made to run at speed and it wasn't Vega at all.

only mentions of rt and vrs were in arden and sparkman files.

If you buy into the idea that Sony might not be using a stock AMD ray tracing solution but rather something custom instead, then it's no surprise that AMD's test suite doesn't recognize the chip as being able to run AMD's standard ray tracing tests. From their point of view it doesn't have ray tracing support at all, because it doesn't look like the normal feature set.

Sep 28, 2019
Possible on next-gen?

Dont want to brush your post aside just like that , but i think PS5 Exclusives will look better then everything alse we have here today even on super ultra high end PCs.
I hope that Sony relases a NextGen Colony Wars. Developed only for the PS5s Tflop target. It will look far better than Star Citizen. The Next Thing you will know if this comes true is that Star Citicen will go through an Engine Change once more. haha

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
But you can't do it perfectly without a huge advantage over the original machine and cycle perfect emulation. This is the point where hardware BC makes sense if the modifications are minor.
You can't do that anyway with this chip if it isn't the final PS5 chip and it's running at 2.0GHz. Where's the cycle perfect emulation in that?

There are so many other, cheaper and faster ways to test backwards compatibility. Sony has better engineers than that. They don't need to tape in an entire chip as a backwards compatibility test vehicle. Nobody does. You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You can't do that anyway with this chip if it isn't the final PS5 chip and it's running at 2.0GHz. Where's the cycle perfect emulation in that?

There are so many other, cheaper and faster ways to test backwards compatibility. Sony has better engineers than that. They don't need to tape in an entire chip as a backwards compatibility test vehicle. Nobody does. You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Well you can't wait until the final chip to start testing it .
You have to start testing it on RDNA \ navi at some point in time .
Even more so if it part hardware and part software .

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If I had legit info, I wouldn't say a word here. People don't listen anyway lol.

So true lol. We already know the consoles will be very similar, Or ps5 will be "slighy" stronger as Klee and Jason alluded to. Why people waste their times thinking otherwise boggles my mind.

Jun 23, 2019
How is it derailing when it pertains to the topic at hand. We are like headless chickens going around trying to figure out these specs and a person comes in and states that he knows it. It like entertainment for the person with the information watching people go back and forth like a ping pong

Because you are complaining about insiders not giving you information you want. Do whatever you want though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
So true lol. We already know the consoles will be very similar, Or ps5 will be "slighy" stronger as Klee and Jason alluded to. Why people waste their times thinking otherwise boggles my mind.

Jason said he does not know who stronger just that they close.
Have to be careful in here because things get twisted and you want to make sure the right info out there.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Jason said he does not know who stronger just that they close.
Have to be careful in here because things get twisted and you want to make sure the right info out there.

Correct, I was bunching the two up. Jason said they are very close, and Klee and a few others in this thread have leaned on ps5 having the slight edge.

either way, we as gamers win. The console war stuff is obnoxious imo

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Microsoft get PlayStation dev kits for the Minecraft team? It just seems they are very confident for a reason.

They are likely holding off.

From what I understand, games are being developed and only a few people (engineers) at devs are actually working with dev kits to ensure compatibility.

I have a sense that the number of people who actually know the specs is far fewer than last time.

We haven't even seen a series x kit but we've seen the silicon.

Torro

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can emulate backwards compatibility using existing PC hardware. There's no need to spend millions (and more importantly, years of silicon engineering time) doing it.

I don't know if the costs of physical prototypes would be that high, given that the IP blocks used in the prototype could be the same (or at least very similar) to what ends up in the final silicon. There is also things like multi-project wafers which exist specifically to reduce the costs of prototyping.

I do not work in that area, though, so I don't have any profound knowledge about current SoC design and validation processes. Just relaying some keywords that I found.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Again, no company spends tens of millions of dollars and years of engineers time just to test a single feature. People who keep on repeating this have zero experience in the silicon industry.

Now, projects do get redirected and companies can get caught off guard by the competition. That's when you scrap projects. So if this is Sony's APU, it's possible that Sony got wind that Microsoft was building a more powerful chip and they changed directions after it was already taped out. This is when you can get some valuable testing time in while the design team starts working on a new more powerful chip. But you don't start a project with the intention of just producing a test vehicle. Especially for something as minor as backwards compatibility.

it's too expensive. It takes too long. And it takes engineers off of the product you actually intend to sell. It slows everything down. Time is money.
My theory was that Sony didn't have anything substantial to work on otherwise, hence the "waiting for big Navi" part.

More "evidence" points to PS5 being on big Navi, and with the knowledge PS5 had dev kits out far longer than Xbox, and Xbox only started sending theirs out in mid November, that could point to Sony using currently available AMD tech back in early 2019 for dev purposes, while Xbox waited for big Navi to be available.

The Oberon chip wouldn't be just for BC, it would to get dev kits out early while Sony waits for AMD on big Navi.

AMD not being able to deliver the specs on the timeline Sony wanted is pretty believable to me.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
They would still have to make a early version of a RDNA card any way .
When these test started there were none .
Also come on now 50 million is nothing to these companies if it under R&D .

AMD had RDNA cards available for their partners before they were available to consumers. Guaranteed. Why do you think a custom APU for Sony would beat AMDs own hardware to production? It wouldn't. If they really needed to test BC, hardware was available.

I assume you've worked in the chip industry to be saying that $50M is nothing to them? They care. They care even more about schedule.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Sony have shat the bed if they give us at 9.5TF console?

Out of everything I said, I am genuinely fascinated that this is what you've taken from it.

I don't think Sony have shit the bed if they deliver a 9.5tf console. What I'm saying is that the narrative around 36 CU at super high clocks because they have nowhere else to go - relies on the idea that Sony got caught with their pants down.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
wouldn't it be ludo in this case?
giphy.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
AMD had RDNA cards available for their partners before they were available to consumers. Guaranteed. Why do you think a custom APU for Sony would beat AMDs own hardware to production? It wouldn't. If they really needed to test BC, hardware was available.

I assume you've worked in the chip industry to be saying that $50M is nothing to them?

I don't need to work in the chip industry to know 50 million is nothing to Sony when it comes to R&D.
If you check they spend over 4 billion in R&D yearly over the last few years .
They need to test BC and have hardware out for devs kits .
Don't see why it hard to believe they did some test on dev kits until final hardware ready .

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Out of everything I said, I am genuinely fascinated that this is what you've taken from it.

I don't think Sony have shit the bed if they deliver a 9.5tf console. What I'm saying is that the narrative around 36 CU at super high clocks because they have nowhere else to go - relies on the idea that Sony got caught with their pants down.

Yeah. Both Sony and MS know what they are doing. They both are following their game plan.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
If I could quote you a thousand times, I would.
I think ppl are having a hard time believing because the specs breaks every common console expectation. for multiple gens consoles are conservative boxes with decent specs. Then we hear that next gen consoles now have gpus that could as good as 2080, ssds and so on. People are having a hard time grasping it, because these are usually dream specs.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same, man. Even worse, if you do reveal info, some people will get salty about it and start passive aggressive crusades on you because it doesn't fit their fantasies of technical superiority. I'd personally say nothing and watch these fanboys eat each other. I currently have people on Twitter wanting to burn me at a stake for reporting Senjutsu's post

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I could quote you a thousand times, I would.

Unfortunately I think you might be letting a vocal minority get the best of you in this case. It appears that the vast majority of the thread are open to what you're saying, and very interested in how it all turns out. It's a small group of users who are actively seeking to discredit, spin or otherwise ignore you (and others).

In any case, I hope you continue to at least take part in the thread. If nothing else, you'll have some crow to serve if it pans out the way you say it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.