Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Daxter on PSP was quite successful.

Of course it was. Jak & Daxter was popular at the time. So when Daxter came out it did well. I remember lot of the kids back when I was in elementary school were playing the hell out of it. Good game did a great job bridging the gap between TPL and 2.

It's a shame Ready At Dawn went down the drain with The Order: 1886 :(.

Last edited:

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Tidux still pretending to be an insider I see.

That Concrete Genie cover is beautiful! I wonder if it's going to be $40 or $60.

I believe it was originally was intended to be less than $60. Hopefully it stays that way even though it seems the game is bigger in scope than when 1st announced. Not to mention the addition of PSVR support.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Of course it was J&D was popular at the. time. So when Daxter came out it did well. I remember lot of the kids back when I was in elementary school were playing the hell out of it. Good game did a great job bridging the gap between TPL and 2.

It's a shame Ready At Dawn went down the drain with The Order: 1886 :(.
Wat? Apparently they're working on multiple games, at least one of which is AAA

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I meant quality. The Order: 1886 was a failure for them. Hopefully the next games they make will be great.
After The Order 1886 and Deformers, the quality of their games went back up (see the Lone Echo, Echo Arena & Echo Combat). The Order 1886 was, for better or worse, the best tech demonstration of the current generation's beginning. They spend a lot of time pushing and praising the tech running the game, something we should rightfully grant them. Despite its issues, The Order's potential is not unfixable. They have really good level designers and you can see it in Lone Echo. :P

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Concrete Genie is getting a physical release :)

71zzK85NIML._SL1000_.jpg
So beautiful! :)

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
article about Unties on Variety

Sony Music's Odd, Surreal, Fantastic Push Into Gameshttps://variety.com/2019/gaming/fea...surreal-fantastic-push-into-games-1203185685/

"Sony Music does tons of other publishing in Japan, not just music," said John Davis, a G&R at Unties. "They do anime, manga, magazines, digital publishing online and in the 90s they actually published a lot of games for the PS One. "So this is kind of like a resurrection or resurgence of that publishing label under a new name."

Unties resurgence in 2017 came at a time when a group of folks at Sony Interactive was growing tired of creating games that would only appear on Sony products, Davis said.

"Everyone saw the writing on the wall with the Switch in 2016," he said. "And 2017 was a great year for the Switch. So they were like, 'Well, let's do something more interesting. Let's do more indie games for all platforms.' And the head of Sony's Indie game department basically left and said, 'All right, I'm going to go over to Sony Music, and do everything here.' Sony interactive was like, 'Fine, you know, it's up to you guys.'"

Oct 27, 2017
A pretty cool new addition to the 2019 PS VR line-up with the new game from Eric Chahi himself, and this is funded with Sony's help : https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...tor-of-another-world-out-this-year-for-ps-vr/

Oh wow, this looks and sounds gorgeous. I look forward to seeing more of it. It's been a long time since he's done anything worthwhile but I still have some goodwill in the tank from the Amiga days.

Precise number ala Nintendo are better but yeah, I would take it too

Yeah; I would love to know how GoW has done with lots of specific numbers (a collage showing number of sales, proportion of digital sales, most popular relics, total number of times Kratos has said Boy, and so on.

Looks like Concrete Genie is getting a physical release :)

71zzK85NIML._SL1000_.jpg

That's a lovely box art. The kid kinda reminds me of Delsin from Infamous.

Was this posted anywhere already? PS Now games for April:

Bang Bang Racing (PS3)

Clouds & Sheep 2 (PS4)

DiRT 4 (PS4)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)

Shadow Complex Remastered (PS4)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS2)

Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter (PS2)

Star Wars: Racer Revenge (PS2)

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/playstation/278563/playstation-now-new-games

Can't say I saw it posted anywhere.

I wish Sony would put more effort into PS2 games. I really want to buy quite a few of them but they seemed to stop with these ports after a few months.

Daxter on PSP was quite successful.

Wow, that is fantastic sales number for it. I wonder how the J&D games did by comparison.

Is there a GDC thread?

They just released a talk given by Cory Barlog called "Reinventing God of War". It's an interesting story of how the creative process took place, the trials and tribulations. Interesting talk.

Nice; I will watch this later.

Most cinematic, story oriented games with real time cutscenes will usually seamlessly integrate these into gameplay without any type of fade to black sequence because of their real time nature. Most of the uninterrupted gameplay I remember watching of Days Gone featured the cutscenes fading to black like that of a video file ending and not seamlessly going into gameplay like a God of War or Uncharted. Plus there is no customization of Deacon's outfit that would need to be accounted for in the cutscenes that I know of.

You are right about the day and night cycle. I've seen some games do a fade or some kind of transition for important story mission to sync the time of day to what mood the developers want, while letting the day and night cycle play out normally otherwise. I could be wrong though, I'm only guessing here.

That's good to know. It just seemed like such a stupid thing to fabricate seeing as the real file size will be out very soon and it's a rather uninteresting detail most time. But then again it is Tidux, so you can never depend on him to tell the truth.

But you can change Deacon's outfit?

Wat? Apparently they're working on multiple games, at least one of which is AAA

Yeah; hopefully they will redeem themselves properly and learn to never make anything like TO1886 again. Such a lot of wasted potential for a game that felt like it was scared to be a game.

Oct 27, 2017
But you can change Deacon's outfit?
If Bend has changed their stance on this I haven't heard.
News of the lack of customization comes way of Game Informer, who recently conduced a rapid-fire question session with the game's developers to ask every Days Gone question imaginable, including whether or not players will be able to change Deacon's looks, clothes, etc.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/13/days-gone-ps4-deacon-customization/

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Well then perhaps I'm mistaken and he changes outfits as part of the plot then, because different trailers have shown him in at least 2 different outfits (and no, I am not talking about flashbacks).
It's probably similar to games like TLOU, yeah, where the characters change their clothing according to the moment in the story.

Honestly, really liked seeing Deacon without the hat in that trailer lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Well then perhaps I'm mistaken and he changes outfits as part of the plot then, because different trailers have shown him in at least 2 different outfits (and no, I am not talking about flashbacks).
Yeah, he doesn't look the same throughout the entire game. His appearance will change at certain pre-determined points as the story will dictate. But, you, the player will have no way to customize or change his appearance manually.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
New job posting by GG for a JAVA Developer.

What Will You Do
  • You will build a robust backend that can scale up to serve many concurrent users;
  • You will work on systems like matchmaking, tournaments, clans and leaderboards;
  • You will cooperate with game designers to achieve the vision for the game;
  • You will work on systems to test and deploy a new server set without downtime;
  • You will integrate the game servers with the PlayStation Network and other third party services;
  • You will keep up to date with the Java world and introduce new technologies when they are relevant for Guerrilla;
  • If you are comfortable with C++, you can help integrate the back end services in the game client;

https://boards.greenhouse.io/guerrilla/jobs/4257235002?gh_src=2e0855ae2

Some interessting stuff here. Obviously stuff for a multiplayer game. Was also retweeted by Simon Larouche.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi...-more-story-driven-game-mentions-rdr2.110914/

• Ueda never planned to be in games, he wanted to be an artist. But he worried he wouldn't be able to pay his bills. So he got a job in games, and thought for many years this was only temporary... And now he's been in games for 20 years. He only accepted it about 5 years ago.
  • With Ico Ueda purposefully limited the number of rooms, npcs, and other assets so they could focus in polishing a smaller amount of content for longer.
  • Talking about silent protagonists - Ueda usually wants to focus all attention and energy on the controls, not on dialog and the like, because controls are the conduit between the game and the player.
  • Ueda doesn't want to have to be too tied to the concept of reality when building his game worlds, but they should be rooted in some feeling of reality.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Nice little montage video from the Dreams beta:

I almost forgot how varied everything was. Can't believe the game of the generation is less than a week away.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Or both. Hermen openly said they want to grow to 400 devs while releasing a game every 2-3 years. Especially the fact that they want to release a new game every so often indicated that Guerrilla wants to become a 2-project studio.

This. The Horizon team is deep in development for Horizon 2, but it seems that Simon Larouche's team is also picking up steam.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just make another studio instead of two teams?

I'd imagine it's cheaper to grow a single studio rather than setting up two separate studios. It also means they'll share a lot of resources and expertise and the bulk of the development team can shift as projects require.

This. The Horizon team is deep in development for Horizon 2, but it seems that Simon Larouche's team is also picking up steam.

Considering how quickly they made The Frozen Wilds and how much new stuff it had I'm really excited at what the team at full steam could do with a full huge sequel with an even bigger budget and more resources.

Nov 8, 2017
Nice little montage video from the Dreams beta:

I get a video unavailable error when trying to play it. I think the video doesn't allow it to be played on other sites. Clicking on the title of the video takes you to youtube.com and works there.

That video reminded me that the pug character made by a Media Molecule employee was the best controlling game by miles. I really hope he opens it up for sharing so that it can be used in more dreams.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Guerrilla's fortune has reversed and people are actively anticipating their games. They've really cemented themselves as a legitimate AAA developer with Horizon's release and I couldn't be happier for them. They also seem like a really cool place to work.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I think this apparent second project Guerrilla is something akin to Apex Legends. A multiplayer "side project" but one with substantial talent and polish behind it that could very well be F2P.

Guerrilla could plausibly be THE reason to own a PS5 in the early years if this and Horizon 2 launch around 2021-2022.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Synergy effects. It's cheaper and teams can work closer together and shift employees more easily.
I just hope they didn't become self destructive like that bioware story where they end up having A team and B team and didn't work well with each other.

Even we as fans sometimes end up pitting them to each other like with Naughty Dog where we're pitting Henning team with Druckmann team.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony was always like that.

Currently I'm reading "Revolutionaries at Sony" book by Reiji Asakura, and first chapters basically are about "Sony vs. Sony" :)

With Sony being such a big company I don't think it will really matter until two different branch get as big as each other, Sony music doing a few games is not going effect PlayStation.
But if they started investing a lot and didn't put the games on Playstation it would be a problem.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Why not just make another studio instead of two teams?
Do you mean like Guerilla Cambridge? :/
This is just bizarre.

Literally no synergy between Sony's departments.
Indeed, but lately I think we have seen some people from Sony Pictures Animation who started working at First-party studios.
Hopefully a new IP rather than the bland Killzone (and hopefully some MP elements in Horizon 2).
Watch it be a reboot of Killzone where you play as the Helghast instead of the ISA. :P

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
I really hope that Horizon 2 is in development. I don't want that they waste time creating an online game.

Status
Not open for further replies.