• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Positive Zhuge PlayStation news? Hooray, we did it ponies!
IMO Sony should just make the unannounced games next-gen only at this point to pad out the next-gen launch lineup, we just need one of TLOU2, Death Stranding, or Tsushima this year and we're Gucci, there's already a ton of stuff to play in 2019 besides Playstation exclusives
The little tidbits about Sony investing into PSN and services, as well as positive impressions from PS5 dev kits have me encouraged and hyped for the future of PlayStation

Oct 27, 2017
Ape Escape and Demon's Souls Remake.

Seems like a reasonable guess. I'm gonna go with Demon's Souls and a new Wipeout. Or Helldivers.

I have a feeling that SSM is working on a TLL-sized GoW prequel. Cory said he wants to explore between III and 2018..just a feeling.

I don't see it happening because it'll take up too much time & resource that could go into the sequel. The Lost Legacy was a direct result of ambitious DLC that grew beyond expectations but there's no such foundation with GoW.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Nope, no prequel, just make GoW2 with more bosses since that's the only major complaint people had with the game, PS5 only, 2021-22, 97 Meta, 15-20 million sold, beats out GTAVI for GOTY at the TGAs, thank you

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Sony are on track to have an extremely strong fiscal year. In fact this year will yield the best results for the Game and Network Services division in the company's history. Once again growth is being driven by the network services segment with full game downloads, add on content and subscription services boosting the bottom line.

Z0zSXri.png

OAQv6Ed.png
OAQv6Ed.png

Dq8G25PXQAAKcfq.jpg

2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand. I'm not sure if much of it will be realised this year, but there is definitely a lot in the pipeline for next gen. Overall there isn't much to talk about right now. But when there is I'll update this post.
Considering the next gen part of your post, do we know if Sony will have Chinese market as a priority for next gen?
And if we assume that they target China, are there the right conditions for them to do it?

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this thread got a shot in the arm lol.

Crazy how much Sony has under wraps at the moment while also having an extremely impressive confirmed slate of games on the horizon. Good shit!

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Super exciting that 1st Party focus is now on PS5. And then there was that tweet potentially saying that the first draft of Spider-Man 2's story is complete. Things are moving.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand.

I hope this is investing more in games on PS Now. They cannot make the same mistake of just making video content and giving it away for free as they tried before. It's just not worked for them with video or music.

Netflix and others are also fighting paying a percentage of their sub fees to storefronts as they just remove the ability from outside sources. So there's not a way to really monetize that.

I do wonder how their PS Vue service is doing. I've always assumed not great.

Things I would like to see for PS Network investment:
  • Ultraviolet Library integration with PlayStation video would be great. Don't really care about another video service outside of that unless they give me a show that's so good it makes me care.
  • PS5 Games day 1 on PS Now
  • PlayStation Music integration for other music services/applications. They also need a better way to play the soundtracks you can buy on PSN as well instead of locking them in an application that doesn't keep running. I wonder if they'll try to lump PSN music back as a thing under their own banner outside Spotify. Though I'm not sure a music service variant is worth it unless it expands outside of PSN as well
  • Simpler service pricing around subscriptions they offer.
I would also change the UI to make services easier to get to or display their offerings.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about two years from now though?

Unless Sony incorporate online into their games and make them more GaaS orientated then I doubt it.

Things like Spider-Man & God of War would make less money thanks to being on PS Now day 1, they sell too much to consider it.

But if game pass really does take off in a huge way and MS show that first party offerings must be there day 1 then Sony will surely follow, willingly or not.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if game pass really does take off in a huge way and MS show that first party offerings must be there day 1 then Sony will surely follow, willingly or not.

Not without changing the kinds of games they make.

Prepare to say goodbye to primarily single player super expensive games.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
IGN:Days Gone Smart Twist o Zombie Enemies
Days Gone will see players taking on Freakers, a zombie-like foe, but, based on our recent hands-on time, there are some unique twists to the familiar pop culture enemy.

On this week's episode of IGN's weekly PlayStation show, Beyond!, Brian Altano tells host Jonathon Dornbush and Andrew Goldfarb about his time with Days Gone at PAX South. Watch the video above to see why Brian thinks the freaker horde is an intriguing, and intense, take on zombie enemies, and why Freakers actually are a bit distinct from your usual zombie foe.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/26/days-gones-smart-twist-on-zombie-enemies

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
If they have to they have to, simple as that.
They didn't when people move to service type games, they stick single player games while also include mp when mp was raising like it is the future.

Sony and Nintendo strongly holds its customer because of the games, no way it will change anytime soon, and my person believe, they only make they 1st party more strong and huge.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see maybe six months after release at the earliest in regards to Sony putting their exclusives on PS Now but no way in hell day one. No reason for Sony to do so. Sony's IP's are extremely valuable with only Nintendo's IP's being more valuable in this industry where as Microsoft's IP's outside of the big three, not so much.

Plus, look at 2018 - Microsoft released Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass day one. Sony would have released God of War, Detroit: Become Human and Spider Man.

Even including FH4, it's a total and complete thrashing. Thus, no reason to do what Microsoft is doing.

As for those IP's in development, The Order: 1887 baby!!!!! Believe!!!! :)

Oct 25, 2017
As I always say, it is fine for the Big 3 to go different routes without devaluing each other. MS is going the Game Pass route because the traditional release route isn't working for them. If it proves to be successful for MS, that doesn't take away from the traditional route Sony and Nintendo have. I mean, Sony released 2 record breaking exclusives in the same year. That speaks for itself.

They all just need to find what works for them. Not run to what is working for another of the Big 3 the moment something new catches on.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

I mean, everything save for Ape Escape is a safe bet. But a new LittleBigPlanet being one of those games is almost guaranteed. LBP3 was a sales success and the games are fairly cheap to make, so another LBP on PS4 has to happen with how huge the install base is.

I dont expect any of the games to be AAA blockbusters, those unannounced ones are being developed as PS5 sellers. Given the stage the PS4 is in its life cycle and a pending price cut, there´s no doubt we will finally start to see more family friendly exclusives before all internal studios move onto the PS5.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now.

Interesting :)
But imo there is more than enough announced for the PS4 and I hope most unannounced games will be PS5 only.

Edit:
Sony Manchester will hopefully announce soon their game for PSVR.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, the unannounced PS4 games are LittleBigPlanet and Sly Cooper related?
You know what? These 2 seem like really safe bets.

LittleBigPlanet: We got a couple of "leaks" about a new game in the series. Whether or not those were trustworthy is another matter, but I believe LBP is a franchise that still can work its magic even with Media Molecule working hard to get Dreams out there.

Sly Cooper: Sony has a TV series lined up to launch this October and continue on in July 2020. It would make perfect sense to have a studio like Sanzaru create a tie-in, lIke how we saw with Ratchet & Clank 2016.

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? These 2 seem like really safe bets.

LittleBigPlanet: We got a couple of "leaks" about a new game in the series. Whether or not those were trustworthy is another matter, but I believe LBP is a franchise that still can work its magic even with Media Molecule working hard to get Dreams out there.
What leaks?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Rest of the gen looks so shiny imo :D
When it comes to exclusives or console exclusives, I have eleven aaa games on my radar.

But when I look at upcoming western 3rd games, there are only three games on my list with Cyberpunk 2077, Outer Worlds and Control.
A bit shocking when I compare that with last gen...

Luckily Sony 1st party and japanese 3rds doing an amazing job this gen !

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
If these two games are really being developed for PS4, I think the best option would be release it for both platforms. So they would not lose the entire base of PS4 users and still have the whole new PS5 base to take advantage of. But if the game is being made for the PS5, I see no point in forcing the developer to create a "worse" version for the less powerful platform.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I should probably also mention that I think they should drop the entire idea of paying for multiplayer inside of PS Plus.

But, apparently, ya'll are more likely to accept paying to play with your friends than paying to actually have great games on a regular basis to have access to. Weird to me.

My main point was PS Now currently has no value as a PlayStation service unless you really enjoy PlayStation 3 games. There are 200+ PS4 games on PS Now right now and 25 of them are published by Sony. That's not even 20% of the games currently on offer for this generation are made or paid to be made by the people whose name brand the service.

If they want people to pay for it, they have to start making it happen themselves as well. I think giving away the pretense that their games will NOT hit the service is better than essentially making people wait a month. If digital makes up as much of sales as people say these days, then you're literally providing an even better experience to those users over those who prefer not to subscribe.

Hell, Sony started experimenting with 10% off on games with PS Plus when pre-ordered like they were competing with Amazon. I don't think anyone should leave a stone unturned on this kind of thing. It could fail spectacularly or you could let people who just bought a PlayStation for the first time literally have an entire library of PlayStation that increases the value of the brand instead of just these individual experiences.

Not without changing the kinds of games they make.

Prepare to say goodbye to primarily single player super expensive games.

PlayStation already makes ongoing games alongside their big super expensive single player games. Uncharted Multiplayer, MLB The Show, Gran Turismo Sport, LittleBigPlanet, Dreams (release TBA), DriveClub (was meant to be), Helldivers, Resogun, Killzone, Street Fighter V, etc. What are we even talking about right now.

They made all of those and still published the entire 2018 lineup which was mostly devoid of many ongoing games. They've even tried other games like Drawn to Death that failed.

Sony is going to try to hit it out of the park with some kind of ongoing games regardless of whether they make games hit PS Now or not. I would agree that if they wanted to start somewhere, I would put Gran Turismo Sport on PlayStation Now with a quickness.

I can see maybe six months after release at the earliest in regards to Sony putting their exclusives on PS Now but no way in hell day one. No reason for Sony to do so. Sony's IP's are extremely valuable with only Nintendo's IP's being more valuable in this industry where as Microsoft's IP's outside of the big three, not so much.

Plus, look at 2018 - Microsoft released Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass day one. Sony would have released God of War, Detroit: Become Human and Spider Man.

Even including FH4, it's a total and complete thrashing. Thus, no reason to do what Microsoft is doing.

As for those IP's in development, The Order: 1887 baby!!!!! Believe!!!! :)

This post also kinda proves my point. That's 3 games in 2018 he named. Sony published more than that in 2018 and you don't even acknowledge them because they're not sales bangers, but they're quality titles.

Tetris Effect, Shadow of the Colossus, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Moss, etc. Some of these are VR games and yes, I would just put those on there too.

As I always say, it is fine for the Big 3 to go different routes without devaluing each other. MS is going the Game Pass route because the traditional release route isn't working for them. If it proves to be successful for MS, that doesn't take away from the traditional route Sony and Nintendo have. I mean, Sony released 2 record breaking exclusives in the same year. That speaks for itself.

They all just need to find what works for them. Not run to what is working for another of the Big 3 the moment something new catches on.

What are you talking about? PlayStation is the one that started the idea of streaming all of your games across devices through a unified service of PlayStation Now. They also abandoned the concept and the idea pretty quickly.

They've had 4 exclusive titles be extremely successful in the past 3 years. I'm just saying, they could leverage a huge PSN userbase to make the other games they've released still reach that massive base of players and monetize doing so.

They're already trying to do it on the cheap and every complaint about the service is barely any PlayStation games exist on it from this gen and that's not jsut Xbox people trolling about it.

[edited to finish my thought]

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
These are some nice tidbits. Thanks for that, Zhuge! I suppose we can assume that either Ratchet & Clank or Sly is in development, possibly both. Maybe even another bigger game, because I don't know if Benji considers Ratchet & Clank a major title.

I wonder if Sony really wants to release these games on the PS4, when do they want to announce them?

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? PlayStation is the one that started the idea of streaming all of your games across devices through a unified service of PlayStation Now. They also abandoned the concept and the idea pretty quickly.

They've ha
I'm talking about Sony making a Game Pass equivalent and creating and launching content around it.

I wasn't talking about who started what.

Dec 4, 2018
PS5 dev kits are out there and I've heard positive things about it. But I wouldn't expect any information in the immediate future.

Next-Gen gossip is so much fun! Which first parties are rumored to have these "PS5 dev kits"? Are these "positive things" related to development or supposed specs?

Edit, another question: I noticed the talk is now mostly about supposed first parties which is different from the earlier rumors that certain third parties had them. Do you know what changed? Or are third parties still included?

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I'm talking about Sony making a Game Pass equivalent and creating and launching content around it.

I wasn't talking about who started what.

This is awkward considering Sony has a Game Pass equivalent and they will continue moving forward continue to think about better ways to create and launch content around it as they try to increase revenues from it.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
$499 wouldn't surprise me or anger me. I'm pretty much PlayStation-only nowadays, so that's money saved there.

So fuck it, give me a beefy PS5.
I can see $500 ps5. At this moment, ps4 and ps4 pro are still $300 and $400 dollar and still selling great. Even if ps4 pro drop to $300 next year, a much more powerful $500 ps5 feels like in the right price range..

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony putting their games on any service day one. Their first party games are basically Hollywood blockbusters now and those are not on Netflix, Hulu or Prime at release. Credit to the person that made that comparison first.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The first one has over 756k views on the IGN channel and well over 200k across various EU channels too, so that's almost 1.5m combined views.

The second trailer will probably see more over the next week or so.
Yeah its pretty amazing how consistent this stuff is.

This already started same demo of course!

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

One of the announced titles from an existing IP would undoubtedly be MLB '20, which will be on PS4 for sure. I can also see a new Ratchet game being announced this year. Though I think that would be a perfect launch title for PS5.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
days ago but ex Naughty dog dev working at a new secret game studio at PlayStation has picked up a new animator that worked in red dead 2, rumor was that a new Uncharted reboot or something else maybe for the PS5 but these are just guesses-

Also it seems the studio is based off from San Diego, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.