• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
The optimal play for any PR in any mafia game is to claim so we don't vote them off but I can't tell you how many times I've seen on this forum alone PRs will eat the vote and die rather than openly claim and at least get one shot off their power off. It happens literally every game and despite me trying to say why claiming and then dying the next night is better than getting voted off, people still refuse to do it. It makes me sad but not everyone is interested in super optimal town play, people are interested in having fun within their own means.
you are right, but as many others have posted already Launch was apparently not available to defend themselves. This is of course exasperated by the fact that this is role madness.

HPSauce

Jan 10, 2018
U.K.
will-your-phaser-not-work-from-back-there

Ok RIP Sawneeks and Launch. OK I missed day end yesterday (as I thought I would) and what the hell people? Just once I would like to be wrong about the last 15 minutes of day 1 absolute mess of votes.

But back to scum hunting, I don't think Neki is the right place here but give me a minute to read through the past hour.

And HPSauce A double deserves some clarification... Can you point to me where you claimed who you were?
I didn't, but I'm K'Ehyler. I don't know anything about TNG but apparently my character is half human half klingon or something?

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
O
you are right, but as many others have posted already Launch was apparently not available to defend themselves. This is of course exasperated by the fact that this is role madness.
Yes I'm not saying that as a slight to Launch. I'm just saying that sometimes people are going to be afraid to role claim and especially in a role madness game, it is more understandable. But at some point you either have to accept you die with your claim or you try to get at least one shot off and hope a doctor/jailor can save you for a day.

HPSauce

Jan 10, 2018
U.K.
When I googled it the character came up as K'ehleyr so I don't know if the spelling in my flavour is wrong or something

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So following LP and Ephi, Blarg comes with another vote (Blarg was randomly vote hopping and I don't have the brain energy or will to analyze that now).

Then Neki votes on Launch immediately after saying it would be a betrayal because he's absent. I imagine he must have a little good reason not to vote HP then:

Killing Launch while he isn't here would be geno levels of betrayal. I'm kinda down.

Then he makes a series of posts that feel very wishi-washy and ultimately stays on HP:

HP has 5 minutes to do something. This EoD from him has been dreadful to say the very least.

Mechanically speaking, any power can be a scum power especially in a role madness game. I do agree it's usually a town lean for a double vote though.

He could also be bluffing so who knows

There's a high chance that anyone we vote out D1 is town Fred, that's not indicative of anything.

Why so adamant against voting for HP, neki?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
BoJack Horseman would also like to hear from you since you were the first vote on Launch's train and that's always a good opportunity for the scum team when one of them was on a viable train since early and it's just confortable to not check in again and stay there.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
HPSauce Would you be willing to prove you have a second double vote? Don't use it now just answer if you are comfortable proving it.

Hp is very likely Town. Double Vote is very often a town ability it is insanely hard to design as mafia ability because it changes LYLO for Scum.

HP witholding to his claim doesn't do him any favors either, it's difficult to see why a town player would be reticent to claim a double vote, it's not a powerful role. Scum!HP would be more likely to try to hide it.
I think scum would be way more likely to claim Double earlier than town since it's such a town role. It makes perfect sense how HP played it as town who wanted to pocket it until last possible moment. I would do exact same.

AllThingsPurple Your Tunneling on HP way to hard right now. Can you do me a favor and do the thought experiment of how does the game look if HP is town. I am not saying your 100% percent chance your wrong but the confidence you have in HP as Scum is Dangerous

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Neki, why are you so sure HP is town?
I'm not sure HP is town but I don't think basing scumminess off emotional responses is alignment indicative. I've seen HP be angry as town and scum and it doesn't tell us anything. We could easily think ATP is scum for being trying to appeal to emotion when he was getting scum read. The fact that it was D1 our reads were based entirely on shit posts and vague reads means that anyone we voted wasn't gonna feel good unless we explicitly hit scum. I wanted to vote off low activity posters explicitly because of that reason but no one wanted to go malus or bojack. I didn't want to vote off HP just because he got emotional and angry at EoD so really I was left with going on Launch. I really wish there was other trains that went up with people that were there at EoD but there wasn't.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he double voted soft confirmed to me that it was more likely a town power than a scum power. That doesn't mean HP can't be scum at this point but I didn't want to vote him on day 1 for that reason.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The optimal play for any PR in any mafia game is to claim so we don't vote them off but I can't tell you how many times I've seen on this forum alone PRs will eat the vote and die rather than openly claim and at least get one shot off their power off. It happens literally every game and despite me trying to say why claiming and then dying the next night is better than getting voted off, people still refuse to do it. It makes me sad but not everyone is interested in super optimal town play, people are interested in having fun within their own means.

When you are a powerful role like a doctor or a cop, you have to assess the risk of you getting lynched x claiming and being NK'd. Sometimes people gambit and don't claim, but end up NK's anyway, so there is no surefire way of doing this, it depends.

But a double voter ain't a doctor or a cop.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see someone else give some insight besides ATP and HP going at each other, we already had to sit through that for the entire day yesterday.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
That doesn't mean HP can't be scum at this point but I didn't want to vote him on day 1 for that reason.
This applies to day 2 as well. as far as I am concerned HP should be completely off the table for today.

double vote breaks LYLO for scum and HP has 2 uses

the only way A mafia double voter makes it past design is if they cant use it past a certain day.

We can ask HPSauce to save second Double Vote and don't use it until a LYLO situation then ask him to pop it then on day 5 or 6 or whatever.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was other trains that went up with people that were there at EoD but there wasn't.

Starting from the 3/4 people were tied

I don't particularly like either the Sneeks push or the HP push so really that just leaves me to vote Malus which just seemed to start from a meh vote from ATP

weemadarthur I asked HP those two particular because I was leaning toward those two for a vote at the beginning of the day but it seems like it's gained no traction so far

I'm not gonna defend HP outbursts but they're NAI because I'd be equally upset as an active poster being voted out over someone who has like 6 posts. I don't think it's a good assessment if he's scum or town though. Regardless someone is getting voted out today and I'm always gonna feel bad for them.

malus/lp/hp are tied at 4 and u vote bojack?
might as well paint a giant im neutral colour on urself
Why didnt you push malus here?

I think the LP push is lazy and I'm not sold on HP. Malus is just a whatever policy vote that I could vote for sure. I was just seeing if anyone else was interested in going somewhere else.

None of this reads like a town player to me
You are not presenting the agrument you are making now (I WANTED TO GO AFTER LOW POSTERS) back when the votes were tied
your defense of HP IMO was done so when they do flip as town, you can point to us and say we lynched town and give urself a pat on the back for being a "town" player that dosnt lynch town day 1
that is if we assume HP is town

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Starting from the 3/4 people were tied

Why didnt you push malus here?

None of this reads like a town player to me
You are not presenting the agrument you are making now (I WANTED TO GO AFTER LOW POSTERS) back when the votes were tied
your defense of HP IMO was done so when they do flip as town, you can point to us and say we lynched town and give urself a pat on the back for being a "town" player that dosnt lynch town day 1
that is if we assume HP is town

I mean given you know me Fate you know my disdain for low activity scum players, do you want me to make the same argument every day on D1 for you? I felt worse about Bojack to see if anyone wanted to go there, no one did, so I want Malus. The votes on Malus weren't going anywhere so of course I want my vote to do something.

Fate you seem to be trying to give me a lot of grief for voting for one of the two wagons so maybe I should have no voted or voted off wagon like several other people if I was actually scum. Would you still be scum reading me if I want Blarg like Yuta did? Basically a non committal no vote that gives town no info.

Ephidel

Oct 25, 2017
3N.
But I'll give you Ephi, it was their vote on Launch that started the train of votes, then they silently slipped away. Would want to hear from them.
Ephi on eod yesterday:

Questions neki about his reason for town reading HP, doesn't seem to understand or agree.

As HP stays leading, she tries to get a Sneeks wagon going, doesn't work.

When Launch becomes a viable alternative for HP, she jumps in and stays there for the day.

Why Sneeks and Launch over HP, Ephi? Your exchange with neki gave me the impression you didn't agree with his town read and could at least consider him for the vote, but you went for two other players who we now know were town, and didn't even give a reason for voting and staying on Launch, or a reason why you were off HP.
Shit, i don't know how I missed that. It's hard af to do this thing in mobile.

Ephidel would still be nice to get your thought process behind avoiding HP and trying Sneeks and Launch before jumping at HP, though.
To Bo - I didn't slip away, I was still very much there.
I wanted to see what would happen, wouldn't be very easy to do that if I wasn't watching, and I moved again when I saw what was.
To Leo - I wasn't avoiding HP, had expressed my willingness to vote there, and did vote there. I just let my curiosity get the better of me along the way.

Faced with a day end where I had no particularly strong feelings towards any of the people in the firing line people I felt the urge to experiment a little.

Malus was a boring vote. Acceptable, but boring. Sneeks wanted to vote Malus, and I didn't actually trust her, her snipe at me voting there making her want to move, or the fact that absolutely nobody moved when Yuta went to her.
LP was up there as an option at the time, largely being voted on what felt like tone.
Sneeks herself was apparently not interesting enough as a vote, which I'll admit did surprise me. I didn't actually expect my momentary Sneeks vote to do anything though, Yuta had tried that already, I voted there to express my interest, basically.
HP's little blowup with Bo earlier in the day had stuck with me. Pair that with a lot of posts of which looked like bickering and anger and provocation and I was willing to vote there.

And then there was the fact HP's own vote was still sitting out there on Fate and I couldn't help wondering where it would land if he had options for self preservation rather than a clear countervote.

Launch had two votes when I moved to him. Two. I don't think I could have been expected to know that would catch fire, it's not like there'd been an excessive amount of interest in Launch through the day.
But I was curious. ATP made a point of asking me about him. LP made a snide comment about him being safe because he posts a lot but was already voting there so I didn't need to factor in the possibility of him moving.

And I just wanted to do it.
I wanted to see what would happen.

... then I saw what was happening and I balked but the train had already left the station.
My problem, of course, is that I'm not actually sure how to look at any of it and make something useful of it, but I'm certainly going to give it a go.

In the meanwhile though, Vote: Blargonaut

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, my take for now is that HP should be flipped, and LP and Ephi didn't look good yesterday.

Blarg did some serious vote hopping and I've seen him doing it as scum and town so more information is needed.

Jman defending HP isn't making much sense to me but i don't know what to make of it yet.

Neki also looked bad, but my hunch is that was town bad and not scum bad. He was very active on the thread and seemed very unsure all the way through, got a genuine vibe from that.

Feeling a lot better about ATP today.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so maybe I should have no voted or voted off wagon like several other people if I was actually scum
what information does launch give us? because we are still talking about HP
Would you still be scum reading me if I want Blarg like Yuta did? Basically a non committal no vote that gives town no info.
their non committal vote gives us info about them
and besides if they were so glee to vote out someone who wasnt present then I will have been up to task on them
Shifting gears
Are you scum reading me?

Nov 2, 2017
BoJack Horseman would also like to hear from you since you were the first vote on Launch's train and that's always a good opportunity for the scum team when one of them was on a viable train since early and it's just confortable to not check in again and stay there.
Very true, not sure how I can argue back at that.

I thought I was reading Launch right and that he was being too "gee golly, look how town I am" and some of his posts defending/accusing people were weirdly long. But it turned out to be spurious D1 logic. I shot, I missed, I wish I'd been more active at day end, but that's hindsight talking.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
what information does launch give us? because we are still talking about HP

their non committal vote gives us info about them
and besides if they were so glee to vote out someone who wasnt present then I will have been up to task on them
Shifting gears
Are you scum reading me?

I mean you and ATP are insist this day be about HP, not me. Here's what my initial impressions after EoD ended

ATP - HP both both claiming to want to have fun on day 1, very much pushback for people calling them on it (unlikely to be teamed) both went against each other. Pretty emotional D1. both were acting the same but HP got all the pressure
Ephi - seems a bit more scummy, late vote switching seems calculated rather than panicked
blarg is blarg
jman is jman
anex playing very safe D1, doesn't want to throw out any reads will have to wait for d2
fred very angry, very confrontational
LP - started the launch train, seems genuine, snark
royal - going for low post voters, seems lazy
malus - late movement makes me think he might be town, but it's more likely it was two town train? last minute vote switch seems real MEH
zipped - lazy jman vote, very safe, very on brand
sawneeks - discourse between ATP and Sneeks? (not on the same team)
yuta - with the weird blag vote, off wagon. only want sneeks, switched to blarg out of the blue
bojack - played it safe, early vote on launch, no indication of switching
ambulance - not much to go off of, wasn't there for the whole day
leo - not much to go off, wasn't there for the whole day
Now Fate, how about you start giving off some reads and analysis and stop hounding me because I'm town and you're wasting your time on breath on me over a perceived bad town play. I know this is how you play town but you're not helping by tunneling on me because you didn't agree with my EoD.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Why would HP lie about how many shots he has? If he lied, he would be locked out from using his remaining shots, or else everyone would know he lied.
I am being a lawyer trying to Prove HP's innocents by having him answer questions to show the thread why we Don't need to worry about him for now.

We need to first establish that HP has a second shot.

now we need HP to Promise to not use that second shot until we are in LYLO cause No way scum has a double vote in LYLO.

If he Follows orders we can trust his claim more.

If he follows instructions However his Bullet does not work in Lylo We Execute on the spot.

There are other factors that may sway the view of HP's innocents one way or the other along the way but we deal with that as it comes up.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Now FateShirou , how about you start giving off some reads and analysis and stop hounding me because I'm town and you're wasting your time on breath on me over a perceived bad town play. I know this is how you play town but you're not helping by tunneling on me because you didn't agree with my EoD.

*Last part was not meant to be in quotes

Nov 2, 2017
3N.
To Bo - I didn't slip away, I was still very much there.
I wanted to see what would happen, wouldn't be very easy to do that if I wasn't watching, and I moved again when I saw what was.
To Leo - I wasn't avoiding HP, had expressed my willingness to vote there, and did vote there. I just let my curiosity get the better of me along the way.
Sorry, slipped away was bad wording. You changed votes without saying much is all.

But I like your logic and this post, thanks for the response.

Before I leave for the night, I want to put my vote here vote: Neki

Between HP and Neki, I feel more unsure about voting HP because of the double vote. It could be town, but I agree with ATP that it was used suspiciously.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how about you start giving off some reads and analysis and stop hounding me because I'm town and you're wasting your time on breath on me over a perceived bad town play. I know this is how you play town but you're not helping by tunneling on me because you didn't agree with my EoD.
what am i suppose to say?
everyone here looks terrible
I can go down the list and think about how terrible each individual's day 1 has been
give me names