• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Official Reveal Trailer (EA/Respawn, November 15, 2019, PS4/XB1/PC) [Read Staff Post]

Oct 26, 2017
the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.

the said in the stream that the lightsaber would reflect the protagonist, that could mean the dark side but it might just as well look more badass the stronger you get.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you don’t have to justify your own opinion because it seems to go against what the norm is in this thread.

The trailer looked brilliant, because it was. I’m hyped to see more.
I don’t remember there really being a vibe of people telling others they can’t like it. Maybe give this us vs them schtick a rest. Some people didn’t like it, you did, it’s perfectly fine. No need to start creating some bogus narrative.

the biggest question for me would be if there are dark side powers as well. I assume not because of the jedi theme/story, but that would be the first time in a star wars game with an original force sensitive protagonist where we could not have dark side powers and that would make me a bit sad.

the said in the stream that the lightsaber would reflect the protagonist, that could mean the dark side but it might just as well look more badass the stronger you get.
Wondering this myself. Really want to see what they’re doing with the combat.

Jan 14, 2019
I can't get hyped for anything Star Wars anymore. I can definitely get hyped for a great singleplayer action game from the God of War 3 director though. Hope we see game play soon.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
Sekiro reveal wasnt gameplay. Just said shadows die twice and that was it.
Not Sekiro, our first trailer for that was the teaser at the game awards.
Yeah I'm not counting a 20-sec teaser that shows nothing and not even the actual title (it didn't say "Sekiro"). I am referring to the first reveal of Sekiro itself, which had both story and gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not counting a 20-sec teaser that shows nothing and not even the actual title (it didn't say "Sekiro"). I am referring to the first reveal of Sekiro itself, which had both story and gameplay.
Count whatever you want, that was the first trailer, lol. It did say Shadows die twice.

It really just underscores that there’s a ton of different ways to debut a game. I’m not sure why people are losing their minds over this. Lol, people need to chill out, we will for sure see more by E3. Lots of time to make a decision before November.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
Count whatever you want, that was the first trailer, lol. It did say Shadows die twice.

It really just underscores that there’s a ton of different ways to debut a game.
Eh in that case do we count the logo display as a "reveal trailer" for Elder Scrolls VI? I wouldn't. Fallen Order wasn't a 20-sec clip teasing at the existence of a thing, it was a full trailer and labelled as "reveal trailer" too. I agree that people should stop expecting gameplay in trailers since, well, cinematic trailers have been a thing since forever, but I agree with the criticism against those trailers anyway and I do think any reveal trailer, "story" or not, should show gameplay. Lots of successful, story-driven games have done it, and have done well, too. I don't get why story-only trailers are still a thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh in that case do we count the logo display as a "reveal trailer" for Elder Scrolls VI? I wouldn't. Fallen Order wasn't a 20-sec clip teasing at the existence of a thing, it was a full trailer and labelled as "reveal trailer" too. I agree that people should stop expecting gameplay in trailers since, well, cinematic trailers have been a thing since forever, but I agree with the criticism against those trailers anyway and I do think any reveal trailer, "story" or not, should show gameplay. Lots of successful, story-driven games have done it, and have done well, too. I don't get why story-only trailers are still a thing.
Like I said, count whatever you want to count, lol.

As for no gameplay in the trailer, it’s their game, let them introduce it however they want. I don’t get why people are so furious about this. We will see gameplay way before it releases in November. As always the choice to buy or not buy will come down to us based on what they show us. If they don’t show you enough to make you want the game, don’t buy it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, count whatever you want to count, lol.

As for no gameplay in the trailer, it’s their game, let them introduce it however they want. I don’t get why people are so furious about this. We will see gameplay way before it releases in November. As always the choice to buy or not buy will come down to us based on what they show us. If they don’t show you enough to make you want the game, don’t buy it.
I think in this case, the issue is more that by not showing ANY gameplay, the entire discussion is about the (seemingly pretty bland) story and the divisive protagonist. They've given us nothing to talk about in the actual game, which is why we have the endless goddamn arguing instead.

Oct 27, 2017
I think in this case, the issue is more that by not showing ANY gameplay, the entire discussion is about the (seemingly pretty bland) story and the divisive protagonist. They've given us nothing to talk about in the actual game, which is why we have the endless goddamn arguing instead.
I’m dubious that gameplay would have muted the negativity of the people in this thread, tbh.

After scouring various sites and social media outside of Era, it seems to be the whole "it looks good but don't trust EA" bickering. Some thinking EA learned their lesson from their past Star Wars games, while others just don't trust them. They really should have produced gameplay. It looks nice but that's all this game has going for it at the moment.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EA:"Help me Respawn Entertainment, you are our only hope."

Well, no game play so I'm still rather careful and pessimistic, but I'm also not completely uninterested. Which is the biggest compliment I can give EA after Andromeda, Battlefront 2 and Anthem.

Nov 11, 2017
Some people here are so damn nitpicky and impossible to please. Nothing would have been good enough. Even if gameplay was shown we would still have the same shitty trash reactions. We get it, your edgy and you dont like things, your only living for the best of the best and anything less isn't worth the time of someone as holy as thou. Gtfoh it looked good and the team is solid. E3 is right around the corner I'm sure we will see gameplay then, this was a fan based presentation and tons of fans want to see story elements and how it fits Into the overall narrative. So much toxicity is sickening and it never changes smh.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Man I just can't bring myself to be excited or hyped over a seemingly unmemorable story-based game like this that's likely going to be over within 15 hours.

I really really wish they'd had a multiplayer in this game, cos now I can't justify getting it.
A lot of people wanted a Single-Player experience, interesting that some disagree.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

It's a Jedi game so I'm not sure where the dark side fits wrt the protagonist tbh. But really, aside from lightning there's not a whole lot of powers in Star Wars canon that's been a dark side thing, right?

Oct 26, 2017
It's a Jedi game so I'm not sure where the dark side fits wrt the protagonist tbh. But really, aside from lightning there's not a whole lot of powers in Star Wars canon that's been a dark side thing, right?
vaders grip of course and there is always room for new ones.

Oct 26, 2017
Near immortality other than Snoke.

Anakin, The Senate, and Maul have ridiculous survival feats.

Feb 7, 2018
Really excited about this tbh. The trailer was alright, enough to admire how good it visually looks and some interesting things here and there (I like that you've basically gotten used to a life in hiding and have a "regular" job; it also gives room for the Empire to grow and properly install itself in the galaxy).

Haven't watched Gotham, but I found the actor to be pretty nice and people who've seen him act seem to think he's good at it, so I'm excited. The character model looks a tad to clean what with the perfect hair and all, but that's just a nitpick. The clothing really design is honestly on point.

Honestly, a more thoughtful/meticulous lightsaber combat system is something I'm really looking forward to. A shame we didn't see gameplay, but it wasn't really a surprise.

They'll probably have a demo at E3 (I know they have no show this year, but EA still has a presence there iirc).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that Disney would greenlight another story about a young padawan, also named Cal, with a blue lightsaber, who survives Order 66... are we sure this isn't Kanan??

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that Disney would greenlight another story about a young padawan, also named Cal, with a blue lightsaber, who survives Order 66... are we sure this isn't Kanan??
I mean, blue lightsabers are super common. It's not like it's some really unique saber color.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, that story is literally already told. Unless Disney is also okay with retconning in that Kanan secretly tried to rebuild the order before he ever met Hera, (itself years before meeting Ezra), and had presumably defeated at least one other inquisitor before Rebels started.

Edit: Also, you know, his appearance

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, blue lightsabers are super common. It's not like it's some really unique saber color.
I was just listing commonalities. There were other things I noticed like the mining location.

Again, that story is literally already told. Unless Disney is also okay with retconning in that Kanan secretly tried to rebuild the order before he ever met Hera, (itself years before meeting Ezra), and had presumably defeated at least one other inquisitor before Rebels started.

Edit: Also, you know, his appearance
But like you said, that story has been told... so why start with the exact same premise?
Kanan's appearance varies in the comics, and Disney seems to be fine with retconning stuff.
I don't know, I just saw the trailer, immediately thought of Kanan, and then wondered why they would tell the same story with a different "Cal".

Oct 25, 2017
I was just listing commonalities. There were other things I noticed like the mining location.

But like you said, that story has been told... so why start with the exact same premise?
Kanan's appearance varies in the comics, and Disney seems to be fine with retconning stuff.
I don't know, I just saw the trailer, immediately thought of Kanan, and then wondered why they would tell the same story with a different "Cal".
Because 'that premise' is the generic origin story of Jedi; surviving the purge. It wasn't invented with Kanan, who himself at the time quite clearly on more than a few now defunct characters for inspiration.

Also I don't think Kanan's appearance has varied by that much, right? Especially not when he's an adult.

Oct 28, 2017
*Rendered in Unreal Engine 4. Not actual gameplay = not interested for now
Guessing they'll wait till E3 for gameplay unveil
True and I don't like not ingame footage. It tells nothing about the game view/play.

Im also not so interested anymore in realistic current gen gfx. It's time for realistic next gen gfx

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Because 'that premise' is the generic origin story of Jedi; surviving the purge. It wasn't invented with Kanan, who himself at the time quite clearly on more than a few now defunct characters for inspiration.

Also I don't think Kanan's appearance has varied by that much, right? Especially not when he's an adult.
But only a handful of them survive, and two of the padawans just happen to both be named Cal. Disney had to have known that people would make that association.
I'm looking at the comic right now and his young padawan self looks a lot like the game character. His older incarnations - not so much. Although, the Disney Infinity character I had of him did have reddish brown hair.