• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

Oct 25, 2017
$10000 says it's an Odyssey style where you can use cappy in 2D.

please
That would be monumental. I almost don't want that regulated to a skin in Mario Maker 2, something like that should be its own game!

God I want an Odyssey 2, pls Nintendo pls ;__;

I really hope so. That and maybe a Mario Land GB style theme.
Either of the Mario Land games would be especially fitting since this is technically a handheld full sequel of Mario Maker hnnnn

Did they say anything about functionality with the Switch Online app? I know people give the app a lot of shit, but it would be cool to use the app to queue up interesting courses when you're away from a proper connection, then try them all out once you get to one.

Nov 3, 2017
That would be monumental. I almost don't want that regulated to a skin in Mario Maker 2, something like that should be its own game!

God I want an Odyssey 2, pls Nintendo pls ;__;
Thinking about it, it can be a nice gimmick that could be overdone rather fast but then again the whole of Mario Maker could described that way and I'm still playing MM1 so...

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty ripe for bombing.
It also brings a level of negativity to the process of playing games that is pretty disappointing.
Like someone pours his heart in making a level but there's 1 spot where everyone dies and lo and behold it's time for negative feedback :/
I like it. There were so many awful levels in Mario Maker and just the thumbs up doesn't tell you how many ppl disliked it. I'll avoid levels with a ton of dislikes. This is good

Oct 25, 2017
They really should work on messaging regarding "local multiplayer". The Direct made it sound like you need multiple Switches, on the other hand nintendo.co.uk listing does not implicate that at all.

If the worse comes to pass, that's... actually a really unexpected punch from Nintendo to me. (Please don't come up with some camera excuses. They could just run it in splitscreen like Mario Kart 8.)

Otherwise, stuff was cool, but I didn't really see anything that would really set me on fire - I guess the online folk may love the online multiplayer, but I kind of expected that to happen.

Trivia: since Toad said something about being more of a cat person, did Undodog undo the castle?

Trivia: why did UK "MOON" slide look completely different than US one, and was it the only one?

Nov 3, 2017
I love when games just blow you away with content like this.

If Bobby Kotick was running Nintendo, the story mode and 3D World would've been $19.99 each or $29.99 when you buy the season pass.
You forgot MTXs for the story mode and mii customizations.
I like it. There were so many awful levels in Mario Maker and just the thumbs up doesn't tell you how many ppl disliked it. I'll avoid levels with a ton of dislikes. This is good
Just remember that the popular levels in Mario Maker 1 were music levels, autolevels and troll levels.
This isn't going the way you think it's going to go.

They really should work on messaging regarding "local multiplayer". The Direct made it sound like you need multiple Switches, on the other hand nintendo.co.uk listing does not implicate that at all.

If the worse comes to pass, that's... actually a really unexpected punch from Nintendo to me. (Please don't come up with some camera excuses. They could just run it in splitscreen like Mario Kart 8.)

Otherwise, stuff was cool, but I didn't really see anything that would really set me on fire - I guess the online folk may love the online multiplayer, but I kind of expected that to happen.

Trivia: since Toad said something about being more of a cat person, did Undodog undo the castle?

Trivia: why did UK "MOON" slide look completely different than US one, and was it the only one?
It's pretty clear you need multiple Switches for multiplayer, also the website indicates so.

Oct 29, 2017
You forgot MTXs for the story mode and mii customizations.

Just remember that the popular levels in Mario Maker 1 were music levels, autolevels and troll levels.
This isn't going the way you think it's going to go.
It could! I hated those levels but they were always the most popular. If I could have given them a dislike I would have. I'm sure others would too. So hopefully that's the case and I'll be better able to avoid them this time

Nov 3, 2017
It could! I hated those levels but they were always the most popular. If I could have given them a dislike I would have. I'm sure others would too. So hopefully that's the case and I'll be better able to avoid them this time
If it's like in Mario Maker 1, the autoplay, music, kaizo will rise to the top anyway and the usual 'normal' level will get dislikes because people who will not be able to finish them will "punish" the levels in some way.
It's actually rather complicated to get people to star levels in Mario Maker 1, this isn't going to help.

Nov 3, 2017
So what's this theme supposed to be

I think we see every theme in 3D World style except for...the air ship? So is this Toybox theme supposed to replace the air ship??
There's airship levels in 3D World (at least in 3D Land for sure) and they're pretty distinct so I would guess that this is different.

Oct 29, 2017
If it's like in Mario Maker 1, the autoplay, music, kaizo will rise to the top anyway and the usual 'normal' level will get dislikes because people who will not be able to finish them will "punish" the levels in some way.
It's actually rather complicated to get people to star levels in Mario Maker 1, this isn't going to help.
Well we'll see
My hope this time is to rely on Resetera or reddit to find good levels. With mm1 I just went with the popular levels and it was an awful experience

It's all about the ratio of likes to dislikes. I'll leave it to the law of large numbers
Even a good level won't necessarily be fortunate with that. Make no mistake about it people will dislike levels when they get frustrated after a couple deaths. Puzzle levels will get dislikes when people don't figure it out straight away. A good level won't necessarily have a good like to dislike ratio. This isn't going to work out well.

Nov 3, 2017
Well we'll see
My hope this time is to rely on Resetera or reddit to find good levels. With mm1 I just went with the popular levels and it was an awful experience
I relied on 2014's ERA and it was better but by the end it wasn't very active :/
Reddit seems like the best idea if you ask me and I say that as someone who doesn't like that place.
If you're into making level, the best way would be to really get the community going here or rely on reddit.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with Mario Odyssey is that it'd be the only theme that couldn't have four players (we know 3D World supports them because of all the cat renders). The possession would only work with Mario and Luigi, unless Toadette rips her head in half.

So yeah that paints it as SMB2, to me. Imagine picking up and throwing each other.

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to post about this but couldn't take a screenshot. Are you sure that isn't the Sky Theme? The level that theme is based one that takes place above the clouds after all.
Possible? I thought hte Sky theme would be that vaguely carnival themed one but it seems to have the air ship screen shifting.

REplacing sky with toys seems weird, though, when I'm pretty sure ther are just straight up sky levels