• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (May 15 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m, 15 minutes) [See threadmark]

Oct 27, 2017
Well... they didn't specifically say you could invite friends, which is probably where the confusion is coming from. Normally this would be taken for granted, but this is Nintendo we're talking about - the company that doesn't let you group with friends in Splatoon 2. So who knows.
Splatoon 2 doesn't let you play in a party with friends in the basic Turf War, but it doesn't ever prevent you from playing with them. In addition you can party in League and Salmon Run.

MM2 will have playing with friends.

Oct 27, 2017
Well Smash didn't have it till 5 months later
They brought it the same day they added stage builder though.

Splatoon 2 doesn't let you play in a party with friends in the basic Turf War, but it doesn't ever prevent you from playing with them. In addition you can party in League and Salmon Run.

MM2 will have playing with friends.
It's not fun to constantly coordinate with friends about when you need to join on their turf war game and then hope you get shuffled onto a team together. It's bad. There's no reason for it to be that way. If Salmon Run ran 24/7, that would be a little more acceptable.... but it doesn't. And league play is (or was?) full of cheaters.

Splatoon 2 is a shining example of how not to handle multiplayer with friends.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
They brought it the same day they added stage builder though.

It's not fun to constantly coordinate with friends about when you need to join on their turf war game and then hope you get shuffled onto a team together. It's bad. There's no reason for it to be that way. If Salmon Run ran 24/7, that would be a little more acceptable.... but it isn't. And league play is (or was?) full of cheaters.

Splatoon 2 is a shining example of how not to handle multiplayer with friends.
I'm in no way defending Splatoon 2's multiplayer implementation. My point is that you always can play with friends, and problem they were trying to solve (teaming up during casual play), isn't an issue in MM2. Fears that MM2 will be randoms only are unfounded

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in no way defending Splatoon 2's multiplayer implementation. My point is that you always can play with friends, and problem they were trying to solve (teaming up during casual play), isn't an issue in MM2. Fears that MM2 will be randoms only are unfounded
I think you're right, but I'm not going to feel 100% safe until they say that explicitly simply because of how bad Splatoon 2 is. Not to mention Super Mario Party's online features.... loud sigh

Oct 27, 2017
The recurring issue with online Nintendo games is that you can’t party up with friends and matchmake together against randoms. Like all of them have private lobbies with friends and I don’t expect Mario Maker 2 to be any different.
You can't strictly play with a friend on the same party vs other randoms, and yes that's super annoying, but did this Direct indicate that there was any kind of 2v2 modes? My connection was a tad shoddy during the stream and I haven't rewatched. What I saw looked like mostly free-for-all, or everybody on the same team

You can't strictly play with a friend on the same party vs other randoms, and yes that's super annoying, but did this Direct indicate that there was any kind of 2v2 modes? My connection was a tad shoddy during the stream and I haven't rewatched. What I saw looked like mostly free-for-all, or everybody on the same team
Oh, idk. I have no interest in matchmaking in a party with this game. I just want to be able to invite friends to a private lobby to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker Wii U had 60 levels made by NIntendo and the 3DS one 100. Were any of those 160 levels great? I wonder if they'll upload them eventually to Mario Maker 2 or if users will be able to recreate them, they didn't take any features out did they?
The levels in wii u were okay. I have seen all the 3DS levels and they also seem okay.

Both sets are really just "hey check out what you can do with THIS" with not a lot of stand outs

I guess to put it another way most mario levels are made with a gimmick in mind, these are levels designed to show off a gimmick?

Oct 28, 2017
This looks awesome. a lot of good additions. I was kind of bummed when they brought up the super mario 3d world bit only to find its just still for 2d levels. If they let you build full 3d stages I would have lost my mind. Still, a lot of good additions and changes. Will be there day 1.

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The levels in wii u were okay. I have seen all the 3DS levels and they also seem okay.

Both sets are really just "hey check out what you can do with THIS" with not a lot of stand outs

I guess to put it another way most mario levels are made with a gimmick in mind, these are levels designed to show off a gimmick?
I don't remember the WiiU version having any but the Nintendo world championship levels

So happy, this looks so amazing!! I loved Mario Maker 1 sooo much and have been anticipating a sequel for ages - everything shown today excites me!

The only dumb thing is the further confirmation that Toadette has become the 'girl' for multiplayer Mario instead of Peach. :( That suuuucks so much. It's better than 'yellow Toad' I guess but not by much.

Damn it WE WANT PLAYABLE PEACH!

Mario 2 set the character select screen years ago, whhhy change it? >_<

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
So (spiny) Skipsqueaks
now jump when you jump.

It'd be awesome if they could activate blocks including on/off blocks.

Then you could essentially recreate the Red-Blue Panels from Galaxy/3D Land/3D World that swap whenever you jump.

If they can't do it directly I'm sure you could rig a device where them jumping triggers a shell to hit the block and reset the shells position, or do it with a muncher

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U levels were short and not that good. Not worth playing really. Haven't played the 3DS version.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m PRAYING Nintendo just decided not to reveal you can play multiplayer online with your friends today and will announce it at E3.
I’d be very surprised tbh. The part of the direct where they show off the online menus pretty clearly doesn’t give an option for connecting to friends.

Maybe they’ll patch it in if it’s a highly requested feature...

Oct 25, 2017
I caught up on this a bit late today due to a prior conflict, but I've pored over the video and read through this thread, and I am just so overwhelmed.

Still, a few things I want to talk about that people don't seem to be discussing at all:

1. Scroll stop. Nobody's talking about this! Do you know what a big deal this is? On my own courses I had to leave considerable space to isolate areas and keep them out of view, as did anyone who used the old horizontal layout to create pseudo-vertical climbing courses (which I'm sure will still be around if the new vertical layouts are restricted to sub-zones) or multi-room puzzle stages. But the biggest impact of all will be on control over despawning distances. It will now be possible to build boss arenas or contraption rooms wider because you can set a hard scrolling boundary on either side. Despawning bugs were always a massive pain for ambitious designs with lots of moving parts, and this considerably enhances the toolkit for keeping them under control.

2. Post-completion notes and comments. Not that random strangers ever play anything twice, but on the "Post a Comment" screen, notice the checkbox labelled "Require course clear to view". I'm elated to have comments/annotations back (along with a creator description that you can use to give a hint, synopsis, or optional objective right from the course selection screen), because of the power it gives you to enhance your own creations by communicating unconventional mechanics or introducing narrative material. But this adds a whole other level: it allows players to comment on particulars without spoiling a solution for newcomers, and if you're annotating your own work as a course creator, you could even include something like a "developer commentary" for returning players.

3. Dry Bones Shell. Since Mario wears this below instead of above, in the same manner as Kuribo's Shoe, I wonder if it will be possible to wear the Dry Bones shell on the bottom and a Spiny/Buzzy hat on top (again, like the existing combinations with the boot) and what the priority will be when you take damage (currently, the boot goes first). This is one of the first things I want to test with the new item. I also wonder if its interaction with lava is specific to the Castle theme (where lava replaces bottomless pits) or if it will also work as a flotation device on water stages. It looks like it works with rising and falling lava, though, so I don't see why its interaction with water wouldn't be the same.

4. Clear conditions look optional. Or are they? Can you still reach the goal the standard way without them, and does it count? If so, an open question: are they separately tracked or timed, and will we be able to see a separate completion rate for them? I'm excited to play with these, because if they are optional, they essentially create a built-in hard mode for every single course you build (a no-hit run, for instance), without having to take up two upload spots. Conditions like "reach the goal with this item" finally give us something to do with pink coin objectives scattered throughout the course that unlock a bonus door at the end. And although we haven't seen it yet, the condition I really want to see here is a no-checkpoint run.

5. Search by difficulty. Notice how there's a difficulty selection and a "sort by clear rate". Speculatively, by using both of these at once, you could look for something tagged as Expert (for instance) and sort by clear rate, lowest first, to pick courses of an appropriate difficulty for yourself that still filter out Super Expert. In SMM1, the Easy/Normal/Expert/Super Expert designation actually isn't based on clear rate, as far as I can tell. Clear rate is based on "clears per total attempts" (successful clears over total lives); from what I've observed, the difficulty designation is based instead on "percentage of players cleared" (successful players over total players). I personally don't know if I'll get that much use of the in-game discovery features, as I always found in SMM1 that the very best experience came from browsing communities and recommendations outside of the game, but I think the fine-tuning in SMM2 could produce some quality results.

These are just some scrappy initial impressions; I'll jot more down as I think of them.

I didn’t know that was a requirement
Easily the greatest requirement they put in. It was like that at launch for the first one as well.

With checkpoints you even have to beat the level without respawning at checkpoints and then beat the level again from each checkpoint starting place.

The absolute longest a level could take is just under 800 seconds because of that.

Edit: QuixoticNeutral check the trailer again because they show mario riding in a dry bone shell on lava while breaking stuff with a spiny hat :)

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what other.... well, story.... is in story mode?

Do we think Bowser will show up at the end for a final boss? You’ll have to challenge him and he’ll pay coins to help you rebuild or what? lol

It’s just curious that they called it Story Mode to me, very un-Nintendo. Would’ve expected “Castle Builder” or something

The 3DS Nintendo levels were good. I spent 100s of hours on the Wii U version and I don't even remember that one having any Nintendo levels lol, I'm guessing they weren't memorable?

I think the MM2 ones will be good, story mode sounds awesome and the costume unlocks etc will give me heaps of stuff to play for which I LOVE! But by the sounds of it a lot of the levels will be based purely on 'look at what you can do in this game' type stuff showing off a feature or gimmick. Still should be fun though.

Oct 25, 2017
4. Clear conditions look optional. Or are they? Can you still reach the goal the standard way without them, and does it count? If so, an open question: are they separately tracked or timed, and will we be able to see a separate completion rate for them? I'm excited to play with these, because if they are optional, they essentially create a built-in hard mode for every single course you build (a no-hit run, for instance), without having to take up two upload spots. Conditions like "reach the goal with this item" finally give us something to do with pink coin objectives scattered throughout the course that unlock a bonus door at the end. And although we haven't seen it yet, the condition I really want to see here is a no-checkpoint run.
I am reasonably sure it's not optional Like we see the end goal activate only once the goal is met, I think
May need to rewatch

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: QuixoticNeutral check the trailer again because they show mario riding in a dry bone shell on lava while breaking stuff with a spiny hat :)
Thanks—there's just so much going on all over the place that I didn't even pick up on that, even though it was right in front of me.

One more thing, now that I'm looking over the multiplayer segment again: instant respawns in Multiplayer Versus. (They look pretty quick, anyway.) No downtime for dying and retrying. It's going to make such a big difference to the flow of the game, and if standard single-player still works the old way, this is actually a strong incentive to play multiplayer instead as the best point of contact with the nonsense of the random queue.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the 3DS levels are pretty good. Certainly rely on gimmicks as each world gives you building elements when you beat the level set. I think there were 18 worlds. What was so great about the levels is two challenges that could be pretty difficult that added a lot of replay value to the levels. Hopefully they add something like that to story mode.

Oct 25, 2017
4. Clear conditions look optional.
They're not. In the multiplayer vs. section, you can see a castle level where the axe is grayed out until someone defeats Bowser.

There's some really interesting conditions though, like don't touch the ground after leaving it. Even some of the more mundane ones look like they can greatly simplify anti-cheese for puzzle levels.