• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The moment you realize ARMS has probably sold more than the newest title in one of the most beloved franchises in the world. RIP SF5.
Wrong. As of December SFV sold 2.0M units:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

They also re-released the game in digital and retail including the base game disc+free Arcade Edition update+season 1&2 passes codes as Street Fighter V Arcade Edition this January 16th and we don't know its sales. According to Ono, SFV was approaching 2.5M so this may include SFVAE initial shipment.

In addition to this, SFV generated a good amount of revenue in DLC and season passes. We don't know their DLC revenue but as you can see looking at character usage or playing online (it's really common to see people playing with DLC characters, costumes or stages) they may have sold a lot of DLC stuff.

In any case:
-SF series sold 40M units as of December 31:http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html
-MK series sold 35M units as of April 2015, before MKX launch (it may be over 40M now, MKX was their best launch ever): https://www.gamespot.com/articles/as-mortal-kombat-x-arrives-entire-franchise-reache/1100-6426616/
-Tekken series already achieved 44M units sold back in March 2015 (way before Tekken 7): http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nj1i5f

Last edited:

limshowron

Banned for multiple alt accounts
Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Of course looks like the mods don't mind drive-bys, whatever.

You suggested the poster was celebrating that the Switch was going to match GC numbers, but that isn't what they meant at all. They were just commenting on the fact that the Switch (which has already passed Wii U's sales and is closing in on GC next among Nintendo platforms) is going to get there before even having a fully fleshed out library and hitting its peak sales years.

So I thought for you to respond to that observation with a "wow switch matching gc is impressive now?" was intentionally obtuse. Apologies if I was rude, its all just for fun laughs anyway.

Good thing you made that one picture response so I would know you were "having fun".

Anyway I wasn't trying to attack the user at all. I just read it as him saying that not taking a long time to pass GameCube sales was impressive is all.

Anyway that's all cleared up.

limshowron

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
End of 2016 was ~26mi since we have EA reports. Last year Us npd 4.6 Million. Since us represents around 60% 8 Million is a good number for last year. This year sold 850k units in npd first quarter so problably around 35.5 Million right now.

We do not have enough info to make the guesstimates your making unfortunately.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Damn we can't have a thread about Nintendo doing amazing without bringing Ps4 to the mix.

Haha
Lol seriously...are we still arguing who has a more impressive 2 years? Or 2 holidays or whatever? Next year it's gonna be a thread titled "3 years in,who's turn around more impressive PS4/Switch?"

I mean the systems couldn't be more different from each other, compliment one another extremely well and I'm sure have household overlap. I wish it was possible for a survey to be done that showed 60% of Switch owners are also PS4 owners or something lol. We are all in this gaming thing together brethren. It is because of the initial Sony and Nintnendo fall out that these two always must be compared in such a brand favoring way? Sony and Nintendo are slaying and not basick! These are incredible numbers and both have did very good things for the industry. Heck even MS who I completely skipped this gen has done good things with b/c and Gamepass.

ReitStuff

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, they probably didn't ship many copies of Odyssey from Jan to Mar because they had already shipped a ton from Oct to Dec.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Wrong. As of December SFV sold 2.0M units:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

In addition to this, SFV generated a good amount of revenue in DLC and season passes. We don't know their DLC revenue but as you can see looking at character usage or playing online (it's really common to see people playing with DLC characters, costumes or stages) they may have sold a lot of DLC stuff.

They also re-released the game in digital and retail including the base game+free Arcade Edition update+season 1&2 passes this January 16th and we don't know its sales.

Launch aligned, ARMS is above. But the very fact that ARMS can be compared with the most famous fighting game franchise of all time should be a positive thing. The game got nice legs too without being discounted and on a tiny installed base.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Great numbers, I don't get why so many ppl on here are upset that it's not doing as great as PS4?

I mean it's doing pretty good for what it is, PS4 is just on another level

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do not have enough info to make the guesstimates your making unfortunately.
ALL i have is information and numbers we have. We have numbers from end of 2016(EA Gave to us) we have numbers from us ALL 2017(4.6 Million) and we have numbers from q1 2018 us(851k) ALL from npd.

So we we have numbers everything besides that is dreams.

limshowron

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
ALL i have os information and numbers we have. We have number from end of 2016(EA Gave to us) we have numbers from us ALL 2017(4.6 Million) and we have numbers from q1 2018 us(851k) ALL from npd.

So we we have numbers everything besides that is dreams.

Yeah for NA but not enough to really understand it's world wide performance unless we got a new leak.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
But what if you're just a fan of good video games like me? :p

Grats to Nintendo. So glad they turned the ship around and they're seeing success with the Switch.
Then it doesn't matter because 20 million this next fiscal year puts it into rare company. And talk about what did who after 15 or 18 months will be ridiculous.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Great result. Got a Switch in March with Mario Kart 8. Plan to pick up Zelda, SMO, and Smash this year as well.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Uncharted 4 over 10 million? Horizon Zero Dawn on track to 10 million? GOW?

PS4 install base is at 70-80 million right? Both Uncharted and Horizon have also been on sale at some point. With Horizon even hitting $20 during some Black Friday sales.

Nintendo is notorious for having games that never drop in price.
Splatoon 2 attach rate - 34%
Zelda attach rate - 48%
Mario attach rate - 59%

Uncharted and Horizon cant compete with those attach rates. If we assume Horizon and Uncharted both did 10 mil and the PS4 userbase is 70 mil that's about 14%. Those are closer to 1-2 Switch numbers.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
concern trolling?

it was a legit question.and in my opinion it is a bad stat to have only 3 games from 3rd parties above 1 million after selling like hot cakes .not gonna hide it cause u wont like it or sugar coat it for u .

so deal with it I guess?

and no i m not gonna start listing more than 3 3rd party games on switch, as it will turn the thread into " oh but that game isnt good enough to sell above 1 mil"
I explained exactly why it looked like concern trolling and not a legitimate question - because you made a statement (with a question mark in its end), and then didn't bother answering in any way to anyone except the person who said it was 3 and not 4 (who, by the way, I am not even certain was even right, since most people here continue to say 4, yet you latched on to this number without questioning it).

Bottom line, objectively, except for Mario + Rabbids there are actually no 3rd party games on Switch that should have even sold a million... It's a semi miracle even that those that did, did.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony never released info on exactly the first year, only in October 2014 where it was around 13.5 million and then in January when it was at 18.5 million. If we are doing exactly 12 months then the Switch I believe would be just ahead.
Ah, it's defnitely behind in that sense, yes, they wouldn't be able to clear that gap in a month.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ah, it's defnitely behind in that sense, yes, they wouldn't be able to clear that gap in a month.

It's near impossible to fully do a comparison with the 2, especially when they are so close. This is why we get so many arguments on it as there are so many different factors to consider. Shipped vs Sell-through, 2 holidays vs 1, PS4's first holiday being supply constrained etc...

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 install base is at 70-80 million right? Both Uncharted and Horizon have also been on sale at some point. With Horizon even hitting $20 during some Black Friday sales.

Zelda attach rate - 48%
Mario attach rate - 59%

Uncharted and Horizon cant compete with those attach rates. If we assume Horizon and Uncharted both did 10 mil and the PS4 userbase is 70 mil that's about 14%. Those are closer to 1-2 Switch numbers.
Of course attach rate will be low when there are +80 million PS4s in the wild, how is that a negative exactly?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Launch aligned, ARMS is above. But the very fact that ARMS can be compared with the most famous fighting game franchise of all time should be a positive thing. The game got nice legs too without being discounted and on a tiny installed base.
Yes, its sales are positive.

But I think it isn't fair the comparision with SFV. It had a troublesome launch with server errors, missing a lof ot important stuff and so on so SFV had a slow start compared to let's say SFIV (which also was available on Xbox).

And well, Tekken and Mortal Kombat, both in sales of recent games and the total of their series sold more than Street Fighter. I'm a huge SF fan but Tekken and Mortal Kombat are more popular than SF at least in console and PC sales.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zelda attach rate - 48%
Mario attach rate - 59%

How come both Super Mario Galaxy games sold only 12 million on 100 million install base? Smash Bros 13 million on 100 million install base?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Great numbers, I don't get why so many ppl on here are upset that it's not doing as great as PS4?

I mean it's doing pretty good for what it is, PS4 is just on another level

I don't want to start a console war, and I don't root for any one company, but just purely in terms of comparison- if Nintendo hit their 20M forecast this FY then it'll be ahead of the PS4 launch aligned. So I wouldn't yet say it's on another level.

It will be interesting to compare the two as their lifetimes progress. It's great that the industry can sustain multiple hit consoles that could each reach 100M lifetime without one eating into the other.

He Said around not exactly 35. With numbers from 2017 i think Xbox one was 34 Million end of 2017 ww. This year they sold 850k units in us on First quarter só problably at 35.5 at best scenario right now.

Right, I put the ~ there to mean approximately. I was just answering about how we have the data to make the estimate you made.

That doesn't mean anything. What source dud Zhuge get his info from? Can I get a link to his post?

I'm not saying if he's wrong or right just want to know where he got the number from.

He's an industry analyst who gets numbers that the public doesn't get. I don't know where the post was, but I saw it a few months ago here.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing numbers. I expect the Switch to put in extraordinary numbers, especially when Smash and Pokemon Switch release.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Too many still sleeping on Splatoon. It's better than smash people!

tenor.gif

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to start a console war, and I don't root for any one company, but just purely in terms of comparison- if Nintendo hit their 20M forecast this FY then it'll be ahead of the PS4 launch aligned. So I wouldn't yet say it's on another level.

It will be interesting to compare the two as their lifetimes progress. It's great that the industry can sustain multiple hit consoles that could each reach 100M lifetime without one eating into the other.

Just the fact that we can talk about the possibility of the Switch to reach such a goal is already impressive to me considering how sure a lot of people were that the Switch would fail.