• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The core issue I have with this kind of shit is that narrative, cast, and premise drive scenarios, interactions, lore, discourse, and engagements. Fire Emblem games almost always play well, but narrative is a huge backbone for bridging those encounters and broader strategies together, namely with context and cast.

For me, that issue is that for a strategic war themed game with broader political narrative context, the premise of being an instructor at a school with students representing each house, and the game revolving around the bonds between these students, their developments, and no doubt lite-political infighting is just so fucking bland to me that any interest I might have had is completely gone. It's juvenile and contrived, dismissive of what I hoped would be more complicated (though inevitably very anime) political and war themed context into essentially schoolastic drama. And I've got no time for that.

I'm sure there's some underlining plot involving the three houses, and the students being manipulated from afar. And I'm sure they'll learn the power of friendship or some dumb shit to overcome their challenges. I just don't give a fuck and this trailer really cemented a pass for me.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Any setting can be good, it's all down to the execution. What I am more worried about is how bad everything about the game besides the characters looks visually.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's awful, for several reasons:
  • It's incredibly generic. There's way too many anime taking place in a completely uninspired "magic/combat academy" (and even more so for manga and light novels, I'd imagine). It's just an incredibly boring setting at this point. It doesn't help that pretty much anything taking place in a setting like this is complete trash
  • I've never enjoyed the out-of-combat management aspects of Fire Emblem. Going by the trailer, managing your students at the academy seems to be major focus of the game and I can't see myself enjoying it.
  • For games taking place in settings like that, it's often a very good excuse for padding the game with pointless training missions that contribute nothing to the story. Considering one of the things I've enjoyed about the series is it's nice pacing that leads you straight from one story mission to another, this is troubling to me. Valkyria Chronicles is a nice example of a game that went from a tightly paced SRPG in the first one to a never-ending grind of training missions in the sequel. Then again FE games have been pretty good about keeping things like that optional even when they are present so it's hopefully not going to be a big problem.
  • It leads to character designs where everyone is wearing the same uniform and the only thing different between them are the faces. The gameplay video of the trailer demonstrates why this is a problem: every character needs to have a portrait awkwardly hanging over them just so that the player can tell the apart.
  • School settings like this are usually filled to the brim with awful anime tropes. I've seen some people say there's no way the game will be like this, but considering how much the developers have embraced such tropes in the last few games, and considering how the characters look I'm not getting my hopes up.
None of this will really matter to me if the gameplay turns out to be good, but considering how little time the trailer spent on it I'm not expecting much.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
So there's no chance to see FE cast at all? Lucina, Ike, Marth, Corrin, Robin, Chrome, they are all gone right? :/

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
It leads to character designs where everyone is wearing the same uniform and the only thing different between them are the faces. The gameplay video of the trailer demonstrates why this is a problem: every character needs to have a portrait awkwardly hanging over them just so that the player can tell the apart.
Noticed this too, and after rewatching the video I realized how jarring it is. Seeing as they're going for units micro management, maybe we'll be able to customize outfits? One thing I loved about past games was how varied every armor or suit/dress design was, reflecting each character personality/background.

iFXBaaU.jpg

Last edited:

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Harry Potter and Persona work because the story is all about school life in appropriate setting.

This Fire Emblem set in fantasy Medieval time, where a huge war is brewing. Make up your mind, is it a war game or a school one?

Also, you can still teach and train your units, grow them and forge bonds too in a military setting, just like the previous Fire Emblem games.
Indeed you can, but since they already explored those setting why not something different?
I mean, military academies are a thing even now, I don't see how war and school clash that much.
Also, it makes more sense than previous entries: one would expect to have capable troops in an actual war, instead of lvl 1 scrubs (including generals).

By that logic, is Harry Potter a teenage drama or a fantasy book? Make up your mind!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Er, that student is a child, of course that's not right. I'm assuming the students in FE3H are of age.
I don't think you realize it's still considered inappropriate and grounds for losing one's job no matter the age of the student.

Teachers are given a position of power over their students, and any relationship is suspect because of that power dynamic.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Noticed this too, and after rewatching the video I realized how jarring it is. Seeing as they're going for units micro management, maybe we'll be able to customize outfits? One thing I loved about past games was how varied every armor or suit/dress design was, reflecting each character personality/background.

iFXBaaU.jpg

This is a good point to bring up. In the footage we see at least three different outfits for Edelgard and I am not entirely sure if it's based on jobs like the previous games or a new system.

kT2G2FL.png

w5eJtxw.png

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Series boomed when they started giving waifus and social links to people, now they're just doubling down on that. You can smell any kind of high-school harem anime cliche, and you know exactly what you're going to get. Sucks for old time hardcore Fire Emblem fans, but that's how things work today.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Series boomed when they started giving waifus and social links to people, now they're just doubling down on that. You can smell any kind of high-school harem anime cliche, and you know exactly what you're going to get. Sucks for old time hardcore Fire Emblem fans, but that's how things work today.

I wanna vomit

I guess I'll wait for the gba remakes

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good point to bring up. In the footage we see at least three different outfits for Edelgard and I am not entirely sure if it's based on jobs like the previous games or a new system.

kT2G2FL.png

w5eJtxw.png
I don't think any of the 3 House leaders is a good representative of what we could expect, but we definitely need to see more.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
.....Were never going to get a game like genealogy of the holy war are we?

Who knows. Part of the tragedy of Genealogy was that the three amigos (Quan/Eldigan/Sigurd) were best friends in the military academy. But Eldigan was forced to fight Sigurd and Quan later on.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Characters always change outfits for class changes, question is whether that will be reflected outside battle. Being they're in an academy it wouldn't be surprising if they still all wore their uniforms elsewhere. Especially as the game seem likely to feature a lot more cutscenes which they may want to enforce continuity.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'm indifferent to the setting. I know the gameplay is gonna be ace, so that's all I really care about.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yes, this is ridiculous, not like when Lyn, aged fifteen, found a hobbo around and told him to guide her to kill some bandits.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Would be great imo. Byleth dates other teachers, the students date other students
i would prefer this since one of the teachers caught my eye....and this game to me seems its gonna be a fun story I like harry potter so the story could go along some fun moments at the school. I actually think that we will tak over the school because of a big world between the three houses and we are the ones to try and stop it with the school as the base

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why ere so many posters automatically connecting high school with fucking?

Because it is a popular animu trope
and the last entry of this series had

tenor.gif

Pumped up sexuality

Its a pretty fair concern.

Who knows. Part of the tragedy of Genealogy was that the three amigos (Quan/Eldigan/Sigurd) were best friends in the military academy. But Eldigan was forced to fight Sigurd and Quan later on.

If this academy thing is like only the first third of the game and and go that deep I will happily eat crow. I just hope that when something does happen, its compelling, cause fates was anything but.

Oct 27, 2017
Why ere so many posters automatically connecting high school with fucking?

I swear the people who supposedly "hate" the romance in modern day FE games are the ones hoping it shows up the most just so they can complain about it. Not to mention the bizarre insistence that you will definitely be able to, as a teacher, romance students instead of the more likely you can build platonic bonds with students and they can romance each other.

tenor.gif

Pumped up sexuality

Its a pretty fair concern.

And then they turned it down in Echoes when they could have just as easily inserted more fanservice...There's being skeptical and then there's assuming the very worst without actually considering what they've shown of THIS game. Fates had fanservice right from it's first trailers while this game hasn't shown anything similar in any of the its designs

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
School settings are whatever, but I like that in this particular game it means having more customization control over your units. Also I agree I got more of a college-level vibe from the characters than high school.

Still waiting for confirmation of Casual Mode, but if they put it into the FE2 remake then I really doubt they'd toss it out for this one.

Okay yeah, these ain't high school kids.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what I dislike more in this thread.

People making dumb assumptions and generalizations about japanese media without knowing what they're talking about and using stupid words like "waifu" (this is LITERALLY a western term), with ridiculous nostalgia glasses for a past they simply ignore every aspect they don't like (old FE isn't your Game of Thrones RPG like you think)

or

How Persona 3-5 basically destroyed japanese RPGs in a fundamental level, being weak games carried by cool aesthetics, mediocre gameplay and several problematic aspects, and got a pass for it -- even in this forum, influencing most JP console developers to dumb down their RPGs, both story and gameplay wise

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. I was really excited for a new Fire Emblem game but this kinda killed my hype so I canceled my preorder. But I'll probably still eventually play it when it's cheaper.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda interested is romance still in this? Can you play Cupid with your students ?... If not

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on where they go with it.

The setup could be fun.

10 points out of the gate if they avoid the lead dating students. Give the characters some substance.

When the trailer started, I was already rolling my eyes at, 3 kingdoms under a goddess because that shit is played. This is a nice change up, that could work or double down in the worst aspects of Awakening and Fates, with less incest at least.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teacher x Student is a big NO to me and I hope it's not there. It's stupid, will ruin everyone's characterization because they'll all need to have their development dumbed down to let them be romance options and be treated as targets more than actual people. Also, it's pretty wrong too.

But if that does happen, you all can blame the whole industry to giving Persona a pass over and over again, praising it non-stop and ignoring how much it damaged the RPG genre.

Persona-5-Confidant-Guide-Kawakami.jpg

And I'm only talking about the weird teacher x student thing, but it dumbs down every women, besides its other several problems.

If FE does that too, I think it's worth every single bit of criticism it can get.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I dig the Hogwarts vibes. So long as romancing anyone isn't remotely possible and relationships are the farthest thing from the game, I'm good.

That said, I'm skeptical about the amount of grinding mechanics "studying" will introduce, as it does seem like a potential buzz kill.

Sire Yoshi

Oct 25, 2017
RestEra Sales threads
I slept on it and tbh I don't give a damn about the setting, just give me a great strategy game with enough good maps and character progression and I'm sold. I really want to see all those maps that aren't possible with the mobile version come to life in this game, we need a lot more details about it, but another direct seems like a boring idea, let's see how Nintendo handles it

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't necessarily averse to romance in Fire Emblem in general, it was just everyone was compatible in Awakening so most of it fell flat. It was just three conversations, marriage and kids. If they do it here, just take a less is more approach.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I don't inherintetly have a problem with it and being a teacher instead of a student is a decent enough change of pace. What will make or break it is if the school setting is just an excuse for anime high school antics and if we can romance our students.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Teacher x Student is a big NO to me and I hope it's not there. It's stupid, will ruin everyone's characterization because they'll all need to have their development dumbed down to let them be romance options and be treated as targets more than actual people. Also, it's pretty wrong too.

But if that does happen, you all can blame the whole industry to giving Persona a pass over and over again, praising it non-stop and ignoring how much it damaged the RPG genre.

Persona-5-Confidant-Guide-Kawakami.jpg

And I'm only talking about the weird teacher x student thing, but it dumbs down every women, besides its other several problems.

If FE does that too, I think it's worth every single bit of criticism it can get.
What does Persona have to do with dumb downed relationships and romancing students in this game? Fire Emblem already has a history of dumbed down relationships. If student romances does happen, it's not anyone's fault but IS. No one put a gun to their head demanding anything like this.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Predictable path towards anime waifu trash.

I'm really hoping they don't let you fuck kids. That's where the series is now.

Oct 27, 2017
I slept on it and tbh I don't give a damn about the setting, just give me a great strategy game with enough good maps and character progression and I'm sold. I really want to see all those maps that aren't possible with the mobile version come to life in this game, we need a lot more details about it, but another direct seems like a boring idea, let's see how Nintendo handles it

It's the same setting as every other game in the series, they've just contextualized the support and upgrade systems from being in random backdrops/your caravan to a school. People in here really think they went through the trouble of establishing 3 kingdoms to have the game primarily take place in a school are being ridiculous

And some of you are OBSESSED with teachers fucking students. You even have people posting news articles and tweets about it in real life? Have some of you lost your minds? This is embarrassing