Votes: 60 29.9%
  • [X] Other console

Votes: 30 14.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
xbox has said that the series are selling better than both the one and the 360 two years in and they still are not being able meet the demand for the hardware, you either believe that or don't lol

also regarding famitsu, still on the big doubt side of things. end of the year was mostly slow on the xbox side so it doesn't surprise me that sales cratered like that, especially with hardware being sent to places that sell more xboxes than japan

i don't think we'll see a change of 2:1 (maybe higher) in this generation, though. (worldwide) playstation is too strong for a lot of reasons.

it was almost 3 to1 last gen!

Jul 10, 2020
ugh we back to the disgusting 'please fire this person' posts
lmao you all really need to stop this

Look I REALLY don't like to make these "Fire this person posts" but Starfield is literally now the most important game in Xbox history.

Marketing for it needs to be on a level we haven't seen since the 360 days.

If Starfield is just left to release like any other GamePass game, without a marketing cycle out the ass, then I'm sorry, the buck has to stop somewhere.

Starfield is TOO important for marketing to be muted on.

Starfield needs, as what I can only described as, an "Event".

It needs billboards, theatrical spots, a contest to play Starfield in SPACEwith SpaceX/Virgin Space, Bundles, Bus Ads. It needs a God of War level marketing and anything less is simply a failure.

Deleted member 129418

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2022
Look I REALLY don't like to make these "Fire this person posts" but Starfield is literally now the most important game in Xbox history.

If Starfield is just left to release like any other GamePass game, without a marketing cycle out the ass, then I'm sorry, the buck has to stop somewhere.

It needs billboards, theatrical spots, a contest to play Starfield in SPACEwith SpaceX/Virgin Space, Bundles, Bus Ads. It needs a God of War level marketing and anything less is simply a failure.

failure or not campaigning for somebody to get fired unless they're legitimately a horrible human being is lame imo. I do agree that advertising for Starfield needs to be extremely aggressive and similar to what Sony does with its titles, though. we'll see

bb1173

May 1, 2022

WTF? your acting like if MS don't make starfield an 'event' then they will be leaving the console market.

seriously if they don't advertise starfield to the max, all that will happen is lower sales, its not gonna be a massive effect like you think

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Wanted to make a thread but realized I don't have enough posts on resetera to create one so I'll ask here:

How close was Microsoft to leaving the console market last gen? I wasn't really paying attention to the gaming industry from like 2011-2019 and looking back I didn't notice how bad things were, or at least how bad they appeared to be. I heard rumblings on Defining Duke a few months ago that in 2016 Microsoft was within 2 weeks of killing the Xbox brand and going third party.

It's crazy to think how different this gen would be if the only new console was the PS5, or how insane it would be to only have Nintendo and Sony producing consoles.
A few execs have talked about how they were thinking of spinning off Xbox after the face plant. The famed meeting where Phil pitched a streaming service to Satya to 'save' it might not have been SO dire but at the same time, the fact you're having that meeting says a lot.

Also, several insiders on this site at the time were talking about there being a real possibility the division was getting closed. There was tons of pushback, but give what we know now about the situation at the time, it seems like the insiders might have been on to something.

Having paid very close attention to Xbox over those same years you weren't, I would personally say the rumors were true. Xbox was on its last legs and the Game Pass pitch saved it. Myerson leaving, Phil getting promoted to the big table, and Satya becoming fully committed, are what turned the ship around imo.

Jul 10, 2020
it's xbox g 💀

they will never do that

Then they should be content in 3rd place then 🤷‍♂️

There was a time when in NA, Xbox has unanimous with "Video Games". When you mentioned video games, people thought of Xbox.

They had great 3rd party advertising, and Halo/Gears/Forza wasn't quite played out yet.

Xbox needs to regain that mindshare, and that starts with marketing.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

It's not that serious.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Starfield is one of the most anticipated titles I have ever seen. It's going to get plenty of attention, both from critical praise, as well as a marketing campaign from Microsoft. It will be a smashing success.

Jul 10, 2020
At the end of the day, it is video games. The post reads like you're gonna lose a leg if Starfield doesn't get a push.

True, probably a tad overdramatic, but it's frustrating as an OG Xbox to see them make the same mistakes over and over again, and I believe lack of focused marketing, even on GamePass is one of them.

For crying out loud, making other people agree they could be doing marketing the damn console we paid 299 - 499 for.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
ugh we back to the disgusting 'please fire this person' posts

also most hyped gamepass game for next year needs it's release date, so it better show up at an xbox event
maxresdefault.jpg

indeed :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Then they should be content in 3rd place then 🤷‍♂️

There was a time when in NA, Xbox has unanimous with "Video Games". When you mentioned video games, people thought of Xbox.

They had great 3rd party advertising, and Halo/Gears/Forza wasn't quite played out yet.

Xbox needs to regain that mindshare, and that starts with marketing.
I don't think it is that serious. even without a huge marketing budget the game will do well...and Xbox will continue to thrive.

Deleted member 129418

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2022
the incredible marketing machine behind *checks notes*

dishonored
doom 2016
prey
deathloop
wolfenstein 2
and more

tbf Prey was sorta doomed in the sense that the Human Head Prey 2 controversy made people hostile at the proposal of another studio handling the IP and doing something entirely new with it (regardless of how good it came out). not to say they didn't do a bad job at marketing, just things weren't going to go their way anyway if you asked me

Jul 10, 2020

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It's little things like this:

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox is the only platform that didn't offer your 2022 end-of-year gaming stats — that's odd

PlayStation, Steam, and Nintendo all offered end-of-year gaming stats, but not Microsoft's Xbox.

Phil had to use a THIRD PARTY website to show off end of the year stats when it's something that should have been in the cards since start of 2022.

Sometimes it the frustrating death-by-a-thousand paper cuts.

More like death by one big cut (lack of games)

heliophane

Jan 22, 2022
I don't think they cratered, I don't think they were accurate in the first place.

I used to be apart of Team "No Way Famitsu a professional industry magazine would overestimate numbers" but it does appear to be in fact the case.

Famitsu vastly overestimated sales numbers for Series consoles and gave a false sense of progress in Japan.

It's still better than Xbox One, but it's not doing what we thought.

Real "wind of the sails" moment for me.
Let's use Occum's Razor Here isntead. Stock in Japan has been low for hte last few weeks due to stock being diverted to the US/EU. It's not that hard that you need to start saying Famitsu is overestimating. Famitsu also doesn't track sales from Amazon so the numebr may actually be short by a few thousand.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Plastering Xbox on a field isn't going to do too much. While I agree they need to do more marketing, they need to do it in a way that they are promoting the benefits of their products not just getting the name out there.

Jul 10, 2020
Xbox marketing in 2023 will be 🔥 lot change happening inside 🔥

I really do truly hope so.

I'm more than willing to take my lumps in 2023 if I've proven more than wrong.

I'll even change my PFP to a picture of Greenburg with a heart on it.

I know when I'm wrong and will take my lumps in stride.

Hell just look at my ill-advised Avatar game thread 😭

heliophane

Jan 22, 2022
Wait what lol? I'm not expecting Starfield until like May at the earliest. I hope I'm wrong though. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Insider gaming had an article where they said Redfall has been internally delayed by six weeks to may. I think they want to stick to the cadence of having redfall first and then Starfield. I could see Starfield coming in July or August.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Insider gaming had an article where they said Redfall has been internally delayed by six weeks to may. I think they want to stick to the cadence of having redfall first and then Starfield. I could see Starfield coming in July or August.

What would be the benefit of forcing Redfall first then Starfield? That'd be crazy IMO, delaying games for arbitrary reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.