• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The NYT has not been a trusted single news source since the Iraq war. They're not worth dismissing outright bit they're also not staunchly progressive either and all of their articles should be checked amongst other, more reputable sources.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The NYT has not been a trusted single news source since the Iraq war. They're not worth dismissing outright bit they're also not staunchly progressive either and all of their articles should be checked amongst other, more reputable sources.

I don't believe in a single trusted news source and every news source should be checked against other reputable sources. Having said that, every independent fact-checking organization I've seen pegs them as leaning more left than right.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't believe in a single trusted news source and every news source should be checked against other reputable sources. Having said that, every independent fact-checking organization I've seen pegs them as leaning more left than right.
Well yes to your first point.

As to your 2nd point that's Overton windoe problems. I wouldn't call the NYT left and going off of what your personal policies seem to be, I don't think you would either.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you wacky Sanders supporters saying that those with money and power are scared of people like Bernie Sanders and will do what it takes to maintain that wealth and power? wHaT a cOoKy COnSpiRacy ThEorY.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're reacting to, but if you are wondering about his endorsement plan he notes it here:

oh god.

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Thanks.

So just to be clear a couple of rich, overprivileged teens have decided to create a Gravel campaign in which he, uh, attacks the "establishment" and advances his anti-imperialist stance by endorsing homophobic, racist, Assad ally Tulsi Gabbard?

Great plan.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Well yes to your first point.

As to your 2nd point that's Overton windoe problems. I wouldn't call the NYT left and going off of what your personal policies seem to be, I don't think you would either.

I don't know enough about them to say from personal experience, just saying what the fact-checkers are saying:

• Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left, but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for information due to proper sourcing and well respected journalists/editors.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

AllSides' initial research, as well as a UCLA 2005 study, found The New York Times news section to have a Lean Left media bias rating. Initial results from a March 2013 Blind Survey by AllSides confirmed the Lean Left rating, but later results trended toward a bias rating of Center. As of July 2016, the AllSides Bias Rating™ for The New York Times is Lean Left; however, the majority of the almost 7,000 of the AllSides community disagrees with the Lean Left rating. When users were asked what the New York Times news bias rating should be, the average of the votes was found to actually be Lean Left.

In a 2007 survey conducted by Rasmussen Reports, 40% of survey takers believed the New York Times had liberal bias, 20% thought it had no bias, and 11% believed it to be conservative. In 2004, Daniel Okrent, the then-public editor of The New York Times, wrote an editorial in which he explained that when covering some social issues, the paper did in fact have a liberal bias. Since Eisenhower ran for president in 1956, the paper has not endorsed a single Republican nominee for president, but has endorsed every other Democratic candidate.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/new-york-times

Also:

main-qimg-2af028df38a87c3e05989fc0091ec0b6

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's been careful to not be divisive in some respects.
He had a chance to land an easy shot on Joe Biden last night. Joe may be one of his toughest challengers.
Bernie knew better to not needlessly attack a DNC favorite. Instead he called him a long time friend and political ally.

It'd be very easy to call him a centrist who lacks the will for change. But he didn't.

I've always seen him as that too. In 2016 he always stuck to policy, and from that the party has shifted amazingly towards his policy. The only fault I could give him is staying in the race well into the 2016 primaries, but I feel like a lot of the platform items wouldn''t be there if he didn't do that.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Reading the last few pages of this thread is enough to make me want to tune out politics completely until the 2020 election. I mean, I won't because it's important to me, but goddamn people, Bernie, Beto, Harris, Pelosi are not evil incarnate. Some of y'all I swear need to let go of some of your hate it can't be healthy.

I still favor Beto but, I think Bernie is going to take it this time. And you know what? That's fine by me. He's old, puts his foot in his mouth, and his supporters are damn near insufferable at times, but, he's a true progressive and I believe he's sincere. I'll happily vote for him, and I expect everybody in this thread to vote for whichever Democrat wins regardless of how "safe" your state is.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
According to who?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not answering for this person but in my personal opinion you should not trust any one single news source. As in not taking it as gospel. There obviously has to be some level of "trust", but everything has to be taken with a grain of salt and should be verified with other sources whenever possible. I would argue that the New York Times is a trusted source of news overall (even one of the most trusted) but even they are not infallible with cases like Judith Miller or Jayson Blair.

Edit: And of course that's not even getting into personal bias which comes from every single person every single day. And if you believe that's true, then it follows that every single news source would carry that same bias given any individual piece of news.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Big money behind Pete. I remember alot of Bernie supporters being upset about the mere assumption(false) that Beto was bundling....

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'd say that unless you're arguing that NYT is 'fake news', there's no reason to frame Bernie as the one being conspiratorial when he's basically just quoting and parroting the NYT article.

Big money behind Pete. I remember alot of Bernie supporters being upset about the mere insinuation that Beto was bundling....

Any of those people complaining about that should definitely have something to say about this too.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The media is too transparent. Once they settle on a narrative its literally all they can think about. First it was Sanders tax returns and how he hasnt released them. Now that he's released them its now about how you can't be a millionaire and want to advocate for a fairer system. Its almost as if these folks are just part of a club and they dont want to share their wealth with the rest of society.

It reminds me of shitty far right wing attacks on AOC and others because they drive cars and take planes as they talk about climate change. Cut from the same cloth almost.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^lol

Hold up

You guys are actually arguing the NY Times is fake news? Good lord.
If you're including me in that, no. I'm a Sanders supporter so doing that would do me no good here anyway. I'm just saying that any single source regardless of it's history/reputation should not automatically be completely trusted and taken as 100% fact. You should get your news from multiple sources whenever possible. Simple as that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, that Black cop wiretapping scandal has soured me on Mayor Pete. I hope Beto makes him cry.

We need a generation of Whites who grew up around Black people and are down, running for office lol.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Musicians who donated to the candidates:

Bernie Sanders ($20.7 million)

• Norah Jones: $2,500
  • Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters guitarist): $1,000
  • Jonathan Fishman (Phish drummer): $1,000
  • Brandi Carlile: $600
  • Oteil Burbridge (Dead & Company bassist): $550
  • Noelle Scaggs (Fitz and the Tantrums singer): $500
  • Rostam Batmanglij (formerly of Vampire Weekend): $250
  • Bob Ezrin (producer): $250
  • Dustin Davidson (August Burns Red bassist): $216
  • Jackson Browne: $101

Elizabeth Warren ($16.5 million)

• Jackson Browne: $300

Kamala Harris ($13.2 million)

• Quincy Jones: $2,800
  • John Taylor (Duran Duran bassist): $500

Beto O'Rourke ($9.4 million)

• Willie Nelson: $2,800
  • Boyd Tinsley (Dave Matthews Band violinist): $2,800
  • Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead bassist): $1,850

Cory Booker ($7.9 million)

• Jon Bon Jovi: $5,600 ($2,800 of which was reattributed to Bon Jovi's wife based on contribution limits)
  • Joel Madden (Good Charlotte singer): $2,800

Pete Buttigieg ($7.1 million)

• Mandy Moore: $2,000
  • Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes singer/guitarist): $250
  • Paul Doucette (Matchbox Twenty drummer): $250

Andrew Yang ($1.8 million)

• Rivers Cuomo (Weezer singer/guitarist): $1,000
  • Hunter Hunt-Hendrix (Liturgy singer/guitarist): $1,000

https://www.spin.com/2019/04/musicians-political-donations-2020-rivers-cuomo-foo-fighters/

Norah Jones stays winning :)

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Big money behind Pete. I remember alot of Bernie supporters being upset about the mere assumption(false) that Beto was bundling....

Bernie supporters were saying fuck Beto and yay Pete because deep down they didn't think he was a threat. Now that his momentum is going out of control, let's see that tone change. Of course, I'm not talking about the vast majority of good Bernie guys out there, including some of my dearest friends in the world. I'm talking about the reddit clowns.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Bernie supporters were saying fuck Beto and yay Pete because deep down they didn't think he was a threat. Now that his momentum is going out of control, let's see that tone change. Of course, I'm not talking about the vast majority of good Bernie guys out there, including some of my dearest friends in the world. I'm talking about the reddit clowns.
I almost am enjoying this. Everyone was discounting Pete. Even myself, a Beto boy.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the desperation by some to cANceL anyone who's a threat to their precious Daddy Sanders is hysterical and so, so transparent.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I keep going back and forth on how much of a threat Schultz could be. Like, there is always the risk that he takes just enough votes to be a spoiler and save Trump. Lord knows that has happened.

But I also wonder if a debate stage with Warren v. Schultz v. Trump doesn't just help drive home her message of "us against the billionaires."
Yeah, Warren or Sanders could easily vilify Schultz with that kind of rhetoric.

Bernie (or Warren): The so-called democratic billionaire class are so afraid of contributing their fair share of taxes that they would rather have another 4 years of Trump. I say we must all join together and stop them.

They say they want a more just society, but what they want above all is profits. They are not satisfied with owning more wealth than the bottom two-thirds.

Or something. It'll be easy to pull in even Trump supporters when it's so transparent.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's always best to leave reddit clowns on reddit

this happened a lot the last go around too, people actively sought out the reddit crazies and it made them think the crazies were more representative than they actually were

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pete does have a color issue. He should probably spend some time in black communities doing town halls and letting people get to know him before going on Fox News. I was really into Pete at first, but I've slowly become underwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.