Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there everyone, I'm here right now and I have a lot of things that I want to say about this whole situation. First of all, I want to thank all of you who sent me kind messages both within these threads and on discord as I really appreciate them! There are so many times where I look at the state of the society that we live in and question the impact that one person can have against the tide of bigotry and mental health stigma that exists, and comments like yours do a lot to alleviate those concerns!

As for the big accusation, there's a lot to say about this. First and foremost, I want to make it clear that I did not invade Robin (my girlfriend's) privacy to look through her private discords, messages, or anything else. I am not interested in being the kind of person that can not be trusted in the most basic ways, and it was shocking for me to see staff assume that I would do that so quickly. When I made that initial post talking about moderation and the issues that exist within it, I posted some information that was from a private staff discord. I knew it was from there, and I chose to post it publicly instead of going to them in private or attempting to find a real solution to it. I regret posting it in that manner as I never had any intention of starting any large scale drama about this incident, and I chose to keep the names private for the safety of the moderation team. However, I now see that I didn't put as much consideration into that as I should have to begin with. There are quite a few places that exist off-site purely to document and harass notable people on this forum, and that includes people on the moderation team as they tend to stand out more. I have dealt with harassment from these people as being a minority or part of a vulnerable group seems to make you a target for them, and this is doubly true for minority staff members. I was hurt and disappointed that people that I consider close friends believed that I was capable of this, but they're not bad people for thinking this. They're just scared. And I don't fault them for that.

The reasons that they provided in that initial thread detailed a history of suspicions that I was looking into their discord as well as that I knew some moderation terminology that was used behind the scenes. In the email that I sent, I referenced a very specific thing that is used however this specific term is one that is an open secret of sorts and I've seen it used in quite a few places. Throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them. It's hard to hear that there's evidence against you that you aren't allowed to see, but again keep in mind that at this point they're still concerned for their privacy and unsure if they can trust me. I don't blame them for wanting to avoid more of that, especially as they went looking for that conversation and did not feel the same way about it. I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding.

And I do want to reiterate here at the end, I left out the names on both of those issues in my post for a reason. I understand the desire for wanting to know who said what in these conversations, but the way that this desire has manifested is worrying. There are mistakes that have been made by the moderation team throughout this whole ordeal as I know all too well. But at the same time, we can not realistically expect the people who moderate this website to feel safe when people are digging through their personal lives looking for anything that can be used.

I regret posting that line the way that I did and I'm sorry for all the headache that this has caused both you as users and the staff throughout this ordeal.
Welcome back. I wasn't aware of you before this situation but I sure as hell am now. You've expressed yourself well and I wish you and everyone else in the TransERA community all the best moving forward.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there everyone, I'm here right now and I have a lot of things that I want to say about this whole situation. First of all, I want to thank all of you who sent me kind messages both within these threads and on discord as I really appreciate them! There are so many times where I look at the state of the society that we live in and question the impact that one person can have against the tide of bigotry and mental health stigma that exists, and comments like yours do a lot to alleviate those concerns!

As for the big accusation, there's a lot to say about this. First and foremost, I want to make it clear that I did not invade Robin (my girlfriend's) privacy to look through her private discords, messages, or anything else. I am not interested in being the kind of person that can not be trusted in the most basic ways, and it was shocking for me to see staff assume that I would do that so quickly. When I made that initial post talking about moderation and the issues that exist within it, I posted some information that was from a private staff discord. I knew it was from there, and I chose to post it publicly instead of going to them in private or attempting to find a real solution to it. I regret posting it in that manner as I never had any intention of starting any large scale drama about this incident, and I chose to keep the names private for the safety of the moderation team. However, I now see that I didn't put as much consideration into that as I should have to begin with. There are quite a few places that exist off-site purely to document and harass notable people on this forum, and that includes people on the moderation team as they tend to stand out more. I have dealt with harassment from these people as being a minority or part of a vulnerable group seems to make you a target for them, and this is doubly true for minority staff members. I was hurt and disappointed that people that I consider close friends believed that I was capable of this, but they're not bad people for thinking this. They're just scared. And I don't fault them for that.

The reasons that they provided in that initial thread detailed a history of suspicions that I was looking into their discord as well as that I knew some moderation terminology that was used behind the scenes. In the email that I sent, I referenced a very specific thing that is used however this specific term is one that is an open secret of sorts and I've seen it used in quite a few places. Throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them. It's hard to hear that there's evidence against you that you aren't allowed to see, but again keep in mind that at this point they're still concerned for their privacy and unsure if they can trust me. I don't blame them for wanting to avoid more of that, especially as they went looking for that conversation and did not feel the same way about it. I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding.

And I do want to reiterate here at the end, I left out the names on both of those issues in my post for a reason. I understand the desire for wanting to know who said what in these conversations, but the way that this desire has manifested is worrying. There are mistakes that have been made by the moderation team throughout this whole ordeal as I know all too well. But at the same time, we can not realistically expect the people who moderate this website to feel safe when people are digging through their personal lives looking for anything that can be used.

I regret posting that line the way that I did and I'm sorry for all the headache that this has caused both you as users and the staff throughout this ordeal.

Thank you for telling your side of the story Ketkat. I'm glad you have been unbanned and hope the staff will work with TransERA to improve site moderation on here as the ball has been dropped multiple times when it comes to moderation of trans-related threads posted on here.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

You and I have never actually directly interacted on this forum, but I've lurked a lot of threads where you've been such a positive and helpful voice, and it's helped in ways I can't properly communicate. I'm so very, very glad you are back <3

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Ketkat is back, but the staff didn't address any of the numerous suggestions made for reforming the system nor have they acknowledged any wrongdoing.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's wonderful to see KetKat back. I hope things really do improve for the trans an ace population on this board. This is a good start, but hopefully more is done to help these communities.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome back!

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm glad Ketkat is back, but the staff didn't address any of the numerous suggestions made for reforming the system nor have they acknowledged any wrongdoing.
It's a start, but... yeah. There's clearly more work to be done.

I'm not a regular poster on transera nor am I on their discord, but I hope their discussions are fruitful. There are still major issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I've felt that things were off for a while now, but this entire thing is an utter shit show.
Glad some of it was fixed, but it should not have happened to begin with.

o7 welcome back KetKet

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I'm happy KetKet is finally unbanned, I hope Robin is happy about this.

I just hope the staff continues to listen to TransERA and others like Asian-ERA to continue the positive steps, I really don't want to leave here since there's nowhere else to go aside from maybe Discord.

Also, I hope Brock gets unbanned too

I can confirm from my end that ResetEra staff reached out to the TransEra community several hours ago, and that the community is eager to have this dialogue with the ResetEra staff and identify the next steps forward everyone can take together.

Thanks to the ResetEra staff and to everyone else who was involved in helping this come to fruition. I'm pleased with the conversations so far, and I'm hopeful there will truly be positive steps that result from all of this.

Nicole, if it wasn't for your posts and from others, I wouldn't even notice of what happened here, I thank you for that

We can bump it up a week and celebrate proper? :)
Yes and make it until the end of the month

On the last day of Trans Awareness Week, we finally have a starting point.

hopefully and on a better note

Welcome back and thank you for telling your side of the story, just keep doing what you do best on TransERA and Mental Health ERA

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Welcome back, Ketkat. We haven't interacted a ton but you gave me some really valuable encouragement in both TransERA And Mental Health Era last year, and have generally done a ton for this community. I'm really glad to see you back.

I'm also glad the staff decided to reconsider both this case and Papa's--I know from experience that times like these are not easy from the staff side either--but I hope that Brock Reiher will also get their moment soon.

The forthcoming dialogue between staff and TransERA is a really promising step and I'm hopeful that the community as a whole sees some benefits from all this in the medium to long term.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad KetKat is back, but I'm disappointed the announcement didn't come from Cerium. He was willing to make a post about KetKat's guilt, but not the other way around.

It is telling.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Nepenthe pointed out that we need to be careful about hate sites monitoring this site but honestly i feel like the fear that quite a few people here have for those hate sites is influencing how this site handles certain things a little too much. Their seems to be this idea that we can't discuss certain things because those hatesites will take advantage of us in that moment to fan the flames.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ketkat's return is just the beginning (well that and unban Brock Reiher).

What we have now is an opportunity to reform ERA for the better, to make it the community we've wanted it to be from the start. Now is the time for a discourse to fully air out the issues holding the site back, so that we can all move forward and turn ERA into the space it needs to be.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, let me go through and answer the questions I posed earlier last night regarding this issue and see if we've progressed.

--
  • Are the allegations made by the banned user true?
"I was assured by someone on the team who I deeply trust and is LGBT that the claim that this statement and the person who made them were against asexuals was incorrect and a misunderstanding."
  • If the allegations are true, what is being done to correct / educate this moderator's behavior and view?
See above
  • What specific site rules exist that allow such a ban to occur, given that the incident (the breach of privacy on a Staff discord) occurred off-site, and was simply mentioned in passing in a post?
Given reason post unban is that user violated a staff safe space.
  • Why was the ban permanent rather than shorter?
User unbanned.
  • Does this breach of privacy warrant such a strong punishment?
Not answered, but clearly reversed due to public outcry.
  • How was the investigation conducted?
This is unknown. Per Robin, 30 minutes elapsed from the original post being published to the user being banned. Ket then states "throughout this investigation that occurred, I was never once contacted or informed what any of these suspicions were actually about, so as of this moment, I am still unaware of what they are and unable to comment on them."

The investigation does not seem to have involved Ket up until very recently.
  • What information was provided that proved misconduct and malicious intent on part of the banned user?
Also unknown. Moderation as alluded to certain terminology being used as evidence, but that doesn't seem to suffice.

NEXT STEPS:

"We're taking this moment to listen, and we have reached out to the TransEra community to open direct dialogue about how we can all move forward and heal together. "

--

Additionally, the moderation team has not admitted any wrongdoing at all, only acknowledging that the timing of the post and the bannable offense aligned and made things look unpleasant, sending "the wrong message."

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad KetKat is back, but I'm disappointed the announcement didn't come from Cerium. He was willing to make a post about KetKat's guilt, but not the other way around.

It is telling.
So wait, it took all day to write up that?

Yeah, I am not convinced of the moderation's understanding and willingness to fix what got us here in the first place.

Welcome back KetKat! Happy to see they thought better of the ban.

It comes off more begrudgingly, to me.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Welcome back!

While I may not share your views on keeping those names private, I understand.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I am not convinced of the moderation's understanding and willingness to fix what got us here in the first place.

I'm not in disagreement there but they reversed it nonetheless and that should be recognized. They are by no means off the hook though. There needs to be a true commitment to openness from the mods, they have a huge reputation to repair with TransEra (and Era at-large).

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Nepenthe pointed out that we need to be careful about hate sites monitoring this site but honestly i feel like the fear that quite a few people here have for those hate sites is influencing how this site handles certain things a little too much. Their seems to be this idea that we can't discuss certain things because those hatesites will take advantage of us in that moment to fan the flames.

Unfortunately those hate sites go beyond just "monitoring", including online harassment via doxxing/data collection on this site and other websites (social media/etc...), and even "alt accounts" attempting to "participate" in discussions on the forum (including the two threads today, causing lots of dishonest discussion/distractions from the main issues today from certain individuals). They've been doing this since the previous forum and multiple members on this site have been victim to this, not just ResetEra staff, causing them to decide to leave the forums. It's the reason many communities on ResetEra use sites/apps like Discords to discuss things/share information without worrying about these hate sites.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back Ketkat!

Hopefully we see more positive changes and decisions from here on out.

I've seen some extremely nasty fake rumors spread from those kinds of people on twitter that got shut down with proof of how they were faked, and members who have been caught from other sites here. There are certainly people out there that want nothing but to break ERA apart and harass anyone and everyone that they can, and I've even seen a few of those posters pop up posting fake rumors masquerading as a "concerned" member, actually just trying to start a fire, before getting nuked. Lots of people on the outside see ERA as a progressive and extreme leftist site and want it gone because of that. I would even daresay they've probably tried adding fuel to the fire already.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the need to apologize to the Trans members of Era that this whole week was marred by shitty thread conduct by other posters, and this situation with Ketkat. You don't deserve this shit, you shouldn't have to battle with moderation and other users to be heard and feel safe. I hope with all your efforts you've managed to reach the mods, and that change for the better is coming at last. It's far from case closed, I know, and again I'm sorry you're all still having to tough it out waiting for more.
Ketkat, we've never spoken, but I'm sincerely glad you're back. I hope you remain a pillar of the Era community like you have been.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back Ketkat! (I won't tag, you're surely getting enough alerts as is.)

This is still a mess but at least it may get somewhere, now.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Right, I agree. I mean, if that is just a quick post before the full thing then cool, but what has been posted shouldn't have taken all day. Another problem I have is that mods haven't spoken as to whether or not the mod that Ketkat mentioned would step down. The mod in question doesn't have to name themselves publically to do so if the admins/mods see that as an issue.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
one issue that needs to be addressed is what was essentially being discussed in the "We need to talk about responding to Trans related issues" thread

Trans Era keeps getting sheered to the bone defending against bad faith arguments in threads relating to Trans issues or Transphobia

page after page of a thread, the community is worn down with having to continually play defense, the last few weeks being a breaking point for all the Trans issues threads that happened

one thing that can be done can be done by the community, to step in and help push back against the JAQing, and while this requires a lot more tact and some self education for those who aren't Trans or don't deal with similar issues, it can go a long way in alleviating some of that weight from Trans Era

another thing that can be done is on the moderation side. I know that the staff already has a lot of pressure and issues to keep up with on the back end, but a bit of extra attention given to sensitive threads can go a long way. it may take a bit more time, but keeping some attention on the warnings or reports of both drive by and questionable arguments to see if there is a pattern can help weed out those going into Trans issue threads simply to troll.

the last thing I would recommend is to, in time, appoint more LGBTQIA+ members to the staff and moderation team. having some parity between staff can help encourage good choices and discussion while at the same time discouraging more bad faith discussion. as the moderation goes the forum goes. there will always be trolls and shitposters (*cough*), but as long as the community exists it is shaped by the staff in a sense, and a more diverse staff can only be a good thing for the forum moving forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I feel the need to apologize to the Trans members of Era that this whole week was marred by shitty thread conduct by other posters, and this situation with Ketkat. You don't deserve this shit, you shouldn't have to battle with moderation and other users to be heard and feel safe. I hope with all your efforts you've managed to reach the mods, and that change for the better is coming at last. It's far from case closed, I know, and again I'm sorry you're all still having to tough it out waiting for more.
Ketkat, we've never spoken, but I'm sincerely glad you're back. I hope you remain a pillar of the Era community like you have been.
Well said. And welcome back.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back Ketkat!

Hopefully we see more positive changes and decisions from here on out.

I've seen some extremely nasty fake rumors spread from those kinds of people on twitter that got shut down with proof of how they were faked, and members who have been caught from other sites here. There are certainly people out there that want nothing but to break ERA apart and harass anyone and everyone that they can, and I've even seen a few of those posters pop up posting fake rumors masquerading as a "concerned" member, actually just trying to start a fire, before getting nuked. Lots of people on the outside see ERA as a progressive and extreme leftist site and want it gone because of that. I would even daresay they've probably tried adding fuel to the fire already.
Ironically, Era will only be stronger after all of this.

Late, but TransERA, you really deserve much, much better after this whole ordeal this past few days. I really hope that you can succeed in making changes that benefit you and the greater community. And welcome back Ketkat!

one issue that needs to be addressed is what was essentially being discussed in the "We need to talk about responding to Trans related issues" thread

Trans Era keeps getting sheered to the bone defending against bad faith arguments in threads relating to Trans issues or Transphobia

page after page of a thread, the community is worn down with having to continually play defense, the last few weeks being a breaking point for all the Trans issues threads that happened

one thing that can be done can be done by the community, to step in and help push back against the JAQing, and while this requires a lot more tact and some self education for those who aren't Trans or don't deal with similar issues, it can go a long way in alleviating some of that weight from Trans Era

another thing that can be done is on the moderation side. I know that the staff already has a lot of pressure and issues to keep up with on the back end, but a bit of extra attention given to sensitive threads can go a long way. it may take a bit more time, but keeping some attention on the warnings or reports of both drive by and questionable arguments to see if there is a pattern can help weed out those going into Trans issue threads simply to troll.

the last thing I would recommend is to, in time, appoint more LGBTQIA+ members to the staff and moderation team. having some parity between staff can help encourage good choices and discussion while at the same time discouraging more bad faith discussion. as the moderation goes the forum goes. there will always be trolls and shitposters (*cough*), but as long as the community exists it is shaped by the staff in a sense, and a more diverse staff can only be a good thing for the forum moving forward.
This.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
One problem that does need to be addressed that isn't strictly administration's fault is that, as per Ketkat's post, mods are quite influenced by the fact that there's communities dedicated to harassing Era and trying to tear us down. Honestly, this affects us all-- given what I've seen over the past few days, I'm skeptical that Era's trans members didn't have the same kind of spotlight pointed on them the whole time. And if they didn't before, thanks to this debacle, they certainly do now. Given my observations about certain posters in the past, mods being lax about transphobic posters has knock-on effects for all of ERA, because the CHUDs in question have all the impulse control of toddlers. People are wise enough to brand new accounts with all of four posts chiming in on sensitive topics, so even those individuals have an impetus to participate in the community, if only to build up enough cover to cause trouble. And wouldn't you know it, it just so happens that threads about trans people happen to always be full of people showing their asses 24/7. I'm going to suggest there's a correlation there. I'm going to suggest the alt-right dickheads that like to go after ERA like going after marginalized and vulnerable people most of all, and that protecting our most marginalized and vulnerable voices readily translates to making all of us safer. That includes the mods. That's more true now, after this, than it ever has been.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they thought it in bad taste to have a thread asking for anti-Trans bathroom talking points considering everything going on, even if it's for a class
I'm sorry I don't know what's going on? It is simply a philosophy topic. I didn't think there would be any harm in that. I can see how it's controversial. It would be like asking to debate abortion I suppose.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Why was my thread closed? Was it that bad?

Arguably in quite bad taste this week of all weeks, and it's not really a idea that should be entertained. Even just saying "both sides" is putting forth a suggestion that the side opposed to gender neutral bathrooms has a point, which it doesn't.

IE:

Most important thing to note in these links:

""Vincent Villano, the director of communications for the National Center for Transgender Equality, told Mic in an email that there isn't any firm data to corroborate these lawmakers' claims, and that NCTE has "not heard of a single instance of a transgender person harassing a non-transgender person in a public restroom. Those who claim otherwise have no evidence that this is true and use this notion to prey on the public's stereotypes and fears about transgender people.""

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome back Ketkat

I hope that we'll start seeing some additional changes soon to address the concerns of several of the communities here so they can feel safe.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Welcome back KetKat, and that step was the minimum step the mods needed to take. I'll hope they work with the Trans community first off on having their issues addressed, and then the rest of us on a more open and transparent process.