How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm Team-10-TFLOPs. Not less for either console.

Mix of RDNA1 and RDNA2 features.

20, 22 or 24 GB RAM (total)

16, 18 or 20 GB for games.
4GB for OS and apps, in any case.

$499 USD - November 2020.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
real time lighting from a hadouken I'm only semi-joking
c404fa08a6057734f1db660dff7188f0.gif

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Mix of RDNA1 and RDNA2 features.
You mean, lack of some RDNA2 features? Because I doubt that RDNA1 have something which won't be in RDNA2.
It's also a bit hard to imagine what would be lacking from console RDNA - it's more likely that consoles will get the same features but won't get the same amount of h/w for said features (as an example: PC RDNA2 might get tensors while console won't - but the features will be similar).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So equivalence wise, a 10 teraflop RDNA GPU would be the equivalent to what exactly? In terms in Nvidia cards.

A 2070? Better? Worse?
Its very hard to compare Navi tflops with nvidia tflops because for some reason nvidia uses base clocks to calculate their official tflops. My rtx 2080 is supposedly an 8.9 tflops card but they used the 1.5 ghz clock speed to get that number. The gpu is actually at 1.95 ghz during games, sometimes going up to 2.05 ghz. That's an 11+ tflops card.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Whatever it is didn't Cerny highlight it in the first Wired article? I'm positive they talked this up as delivering super high quality Atmos style sound, especially through headphones. It's gonna be great and good that this kind of 3D sound is being focussed on and not restricted to VR only.

Actually that is exactly right and it did say the AMD chip (I assume meaning the APU/SoC) includes this custom 3D unit that has 'significant amounts of hardware horsepower'. It sounds more than just the next-gen version of TrueAudio?

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Question. I have a 9700k, which isn't 16thread. That mean I need a 9900k at least if I want to be on par with next gen console cpus?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
You'll be fine because console CPUs will be clocked lower.
Last time I checked MT adds ~20% to the performance, but the clock differential will more than offset that.
We don't have a good metric for that yet because for the first time games will be optimized for 8c/16t

I think most of Intel CPUs will suffer next-gen and AMD CPUs will shiny

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing in fighting games would be sweet, although it probably will be limited to occlusion and reflection so it keeps at 60 fps.

I can see that being possible.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
We don't have a good metric for that yet because for the first time games will be optimized for 8c/16t

I think most of Intel CPUs will suffer next-gen and AMD CPUs will shiny

It doesn't matter, if games go fully multithreaded up to 8C/16T on a 3.2GHz Zen 2, his Intel 9700K will more than match that because of a higher clock speed.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So equivalence wise, a 10 teraflop RDNA GPU would be the equivalent to what exactly? In terms in Nvidia cards.

A 2070? Better? Worse?

Hopefully on par with a GTX 1080 Ti or an RTX 2070 Super.

You mean, lack of some RDNA2 features? Because I doubt that RDNA1 have something which won't be in RDNA2.
It's also a bit hard to imagine what would be lacking from console RDNA - it's more likely that consoles will get the same features but won't get the same amount of h/w for said features (as an example: PC RDNA2 might get tensors while console won't - but the features will be similar).

Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

PS5 and Scarlett will be RDNA2 for the most part.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Question. I have a 9700k, which isn't 16thread. That mean I need a 9900k at least if I want to be on par with next gen console cpus?
Nope, you'll be fine. Developers will have to change the way they code to leverage SMT in consoles. On current PC games, SMT hurts performance more than it helps. You have a perfect gaming CPU that should serve you 3-4 years at least.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Its very hard to compare Navi tflops with nvidia tflops because for some reason nvidia uses base clocks to calculate their official tflops. My rtx 2080 is supposedly an 8.9 tflops card but they used the 1.5 ghz clock speed to get that number. The gpu is actually at 1.95 ghz during games, sometimes going up to 2.05 ghz. That's an 11+ tflops card.
Avarage clocks during gameplay should be taken into account and not some false numbers on paper ;)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, hardly any info we know for sure about the RAM and GPU specs...it's a bit early to call these machines 'excellent'

Oh not at all, we know plenty already about the CPU, GPU and the SSD to know that the machines will be excellent indeed! Both from official sources and from very credible ones

You can choose to believe it or not, but that won't change what the machines are

Regarding the RAM I have plenty of confidence that it will be enough. They won't both fuck the RAM up, and we know both machines are very close regarding the specs

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
PC does too essentially. Everyone forgets the PC runs full Windows in the background.

How many CUs is that?
24CU... thats AMDs 5500 GPU.

And that's theory strange chip naming thing again. Gues they just expect consumers to all them 5xxx GPUs instead.

Navi 10 has 40CU, Navi 14 has 24 CU... crazy.

Can we get more context with Navi 14 for the regular visitors:)
Here, All the context you need

Its a 5.2TF 1080p GPU (aka RX5500)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
with this gen we saw a lot of the rendering and calculation processes move from the CPU to the GPU (like GPU accelerated particles) because of the disproportionate performance increase of the GPU, with the next gen, outside of those effects going back to CPU calculations, will we see more calculations that are often done on the GPU being done on the CPU instead? anyway all this means that the GPU will actually have an even bigger performance to work with (at the expense of CPU performance, but we are getting a 5~7x jump on that front anyway), so we might get an even better GPU performance than the TF number suggests after the RDNA conversion.

Nov 2, 2017
5700 XT is roughly equivalent to a 2070 Super.
Awesome, even more reason to join the double digit TF camp.
It's actually between a 2070 & 2070 super. Closer to the 2070 than the Super on average though.

www.techpowerup.com

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Review

The AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is based on AMD's all-new Navi 10 GPU featuring the RDNA architecture. We thoroughly test the card's gaming performance and look at power, heat, noise, overclocking, and clock frequency stability, too, sometimes with surprising results.
www.computerbase.de

Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2024: GPUs im Vergleich

Welche Grafikkarte kaufen? Für den März gibt es Empfehlungen mit Nvidia GeForce RTX 4000, AMD Radeon RX 7000 und Intel Arc.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's actually between a 2070 & 2070 super. Closer to the 2070 than the Super on average though.

www.techpowerup.com

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Review

The AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is based on AMD's all-new Navi 10 GPU featuring the RDNA architecture. We thoroughly test the card's gaming performance and look at power, heat, noise, overclocking, and clock frequency stability, too, sometimes with surprising results.
www.computerbase.de

Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2024: GPUs im Vergleich

Welche Grafikkarte kaufen? Für den März gibt es Empfehlungen mit Nvidia GeForce RTX 4000, AMD Radeon RX 7000 und Intel Arc.
at the context of this thread, comparing to NVidia cards is pretty useless anyway; as both the next gen consoles, and both the currnet gen consoles use only AMD's hardware, so it doesnt really matter in getting the generational leap.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The Scarlett power supply is Lockhart? Now it all makes sense.
now i see it all, MS have decided to follow the switch hybrid model, and made the power supply into its own portable console! you want to play in portable, you just take the power supply out and you can play on the go, the power supply being the battery too. and when you connect it to the scarlett "dock" you unlock the full anaconda perofrmance with a 48CU GPU ;p

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
They could use a small arm processor for that
FreeBSD already supports arm as well as Microsoft on a raspi, as well as the new windows 10x.
They could use an ARM to run streaming apps and certain background tasks (stuff like voice chat, music streaming) if it has a good way of getting video into the system's framebuffer, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the trouble. It'd basically be building a PSVR breakout box into the system with most of the costs involved (high-end ARM, memory, HDMI transceiver or high-speed memory interface, etc), I feel like they'd be better off putting the money towards a bit faster CPU and/or memory.

The actual OS kernel and hypervisor obviously has to run on the same CPU as the games as it's how the games talk to the hardware, but I don't know if that even gets run on a reserved core normally. Iirc the PS3 used the reserved SPU pretty much just for decryption, not that it had much of an OS to run in the background.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm worried about the speed of unified memory and its synergy with superfast SSD storage.

Several games have stuttering issues on PC that I have long suspected are caused by latencies exchanging data from system RAM and VRAM.

So with memories getting even faster, with even lower latencies, with storage that is supposedly even faster than PC solutions, is storage and memory latency (especially the latency caused by separate memory pools) going to be an even bigger problem with PC ports going forward?

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I'm worried about the speed of unified memory and its synergy with superfast SSD storage.

Several games have stuttering issues on PC that I have long suspected are caused by latencies exchanging data from system RAM and VRAM.

So with memories getting even faster, with even lower latencies, with storage that is supposedly even faster than PC solutions, is storage and memory latency (especially the latency caused by separate memory pools) going to be an even bigger problem with PC ports going forward?
luckily, nvme has dma!

but the upshot is if they have a codepatth for nvme storage now that consoles require it pc will not have a huge disadvantage

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if that game that user was discussing was beyond good and evil 2, going by there comments about the scale of the open world being beyond anything we've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.