• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
APUs gives the highest performance per watt out of all solutions since you don't have to power the bus between discrete CPUs and GPUs. You also don't have to spend budget on two heatsinks.

A large APU is the best you can ask for.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
APUs gives the highest performance per watt out of all solutions since you don't have to power the bus between discrete CPUs and GPUs. You also don't have to spend budget on two heatsinks.

A large APU is the best you can ask for.
Yesssss. All the insane cooling gives me hope this isn't just a beast, or a monster, but a KAIJU

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to keep in mind here particularly if the actual hardware being used is super close per the rumors is that Richard from Digital Foundry mentioned during that EGX 2019 talk posted yesterday that paper TF specs alone definitely do not explain how the Xbox One X can get 4 times the pixel count of base PS4 (6 TF versus 1.84 TF) and 2 times the pixel count of PS4 Pro in many games (6 TF versus 4.2 TF). Heck, Cerny himself said that he thought 8TF was necessary for 4K and we got native 4K on Red Dead Redemption 2 on the X. So we truly don't know much at all about eventual real world game performance a year out considering that both companies may be doing things in their architecture with cache, latency, draw call efficiency (the ultimate foundation of any graphics pipeline) and so forth. That is why consoles are more interesting than "off the shelf" PC parts.

Note that I do not believe that there is some crazy magic that will suddenly enable one or the other to have a huge performance advantage if the hardware is truly so close, just that eventual relative performance to each other cannot be credibly assessed a year out for the reasons I cited and final driver tweaks and everything else that can come (you see updated Nividia and AMD drivers all the time right when new GPUs launch that improve performance).

Katzenbuckel

Aug 18, 2019
On a serious note, after reading about the Analogue Pocket I was asking myself if Sony could use Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) to emulate PS1, PS2 and even PS3?

Is this technically possible or are the cpu/gpu in the Playstation to advance? Would the addition of a FPGA be too expensive?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Maybe they'll have an Enhanced PS4 Games Sale on the day of the PS5 launch.
This confirms that PS4 BC will recurve Pro like patches to add functionality. I could see them labeling PS4 games in 2020 as PS5 and PS4 like Xbox one does with BC 360 games
Never forget the grandma who buy video games at Christmas. You will have PS4 exclusives put in PS5 box. With that, you artificially increase your lineup.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I find it ? Edit: I've found it

Yeah, his comment is at the 05:38:50 mark of the video here https://m.twitch.tv/videos/496199730?t=5h24m20s. Note that he makes the comparison of Red Dead Redemption 2 putting out 4 times the pixel count of base PS4 not fully adding up based on just TF specs, so my additional comment about 2 times the pixel count of PS4 Pro in many games is extrapolation based on previous times that they have made those same observations during Digital Foundry video comparisons and such. It will be interesting to see what Cyberpunk 2077 is actually going to run at on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the Xbox store does list it at 4K currently. I will probably wait to play that game for the first time on Xbox Scarlett next generation hardware though.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, his comment is at the 05:38:50 mark of the video here https://m.twitch.tv/videos/496199730?t=5h24m20s. Note that he makes the comparison of Red Dead Redemption 2 putting out 4 times the pixel count of base PS4 not fully adding up based on just TF specs, so my additional comment about 2 times the pixel count of PS4 Pro in many games is extrapolation based on previous times that they have made those same observations during Digital Foundry video comparisons and such. It will be interesting to see what Cyberpunk 2077 is actually going to run at on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the Xbox store does list it at 4K currently. I will probably wait to play that game for the first time on Xbox Scarlett next generation hardware though.
Gonzalo is 99% ps5 Richard said.

Oct 25, 2017
Then why get it at al... surely by the time the PS5 comes along it will be at least half the price... along with whatever extras that would have been released between now and then. At least that's what I am hoping. I've got this little fantasy where I get DS, TLOU2, FF7R, and Cyberpunk all on the PS5 for under $150.

It should be interesting being that I only buy digital.
I'll be doing the same. I'm pretty much done with AAA releases the rest of this gen.

I'm more in a small game mood anyway.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Yep, it seems that way for sure. I do find it interesting that we don't have squat for Scarlett leaks. Maybe Microsoft threatened legal beheading for any leaks.
Also they simulating it using 36cu 1800mhz 8.2tf... still they got almost 2x gpu power vs xox. Also they explain why we shouldn't be dissapointed with tf numbers. To be honest if it is 8.2 I would be dissapointed a little but probalby because I spent too much time reading this topic haha Edit: I make mistake, they simulated both also using 40cu 1800mhz 9.2tf, uff ;d

Last edited:

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Do all his posts read like the same or it's just me?
The same
giphy.gif

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Also they simulating it using 36cu 1800mhz 8.2tf... still they got almost 2x gpu power vs xox. Also they explain why we shouldn't be dissapointed with tf numbers.

Yep, which they estimated would be close to that Navi 5700 9.2 TF type target in terms of Navi Flops equivalence as has been discussed on here, i.e. we aren't getting 12 TF Navi consoles :)

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Leadbetter said he doesn't know the CU count and doesn't entirely believe the 1.8Ghz clock speed either, i.e., he has no more info than anyone else here.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God Klee told us both Xbox and PS5 are above 10. There is nothing to smile about.

His comments clearly indicated that supposedly they were both double digit, but also that people wouldn't be blown away by the specs either. So it sounds like they have at least shared with devs that they are intended to be above 10 and not by very much, which isn't a huge difference from 9.2 in the big picture either I guess.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
His comments clearly indicated that supposedly they were both double digit, but also that people wouldn't be blown away by the specs either. So it sounds like they have at least shared with devs that they are intended to be above 10 and not by very much, which isn't a huge difference from 9.2 in the big picture either I guess.
I would say that if they are 10 and more that 7+ node was used.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It is a huge difference when this thing is going to be out for 7 years. We need every last bit we can get.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Maybe the devkit isn't anywhere near final and is running discrete CPU and GPU - i.e. not final silicon - and doing so with the closest equivalents, the GPU being 5700XT clocked at 2GHz+ to get to 10TF+. That would require some beefy cooling.

Final hardware then goes a bit wider and slower - anything from 44CUs @ 1.8GHz to 52CUs @1.6GHz to get the in same kinda sorta envelope.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the devkit isn't anywhere near final and is running discrete CPU and GPU - i.e. not final silicon - and doing so with the closest equivalents, the GPU being 5700XT clocked at 2GHz+ to get to 10TF+. That would require some beefy cooling.

Final hardware then goes a bit wider and slower - anything from 44CUs @ 1.8GHz to 52CUs @1.6GHz to get the in same kinda sorta envelope.
Yessir. Exactly what I was thinking.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
"Some people not being impressed with the specs" is a statement based on the mid-gen consoles skewing perceptions of the next gen leap and is not a hint at 8-9TF as folks always seem to take it as. 2x more powerful than Xbox One X does indeed sound bad when people are accustomed to hearing next gen consoles are 7-8x more powerful than the previous console.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This seems prototype 1 what's the black smudge in the middle? What is it hiding? there is one ractangle on the right too hding something.

I think the middle one is hiding the company name that got the devkit since companies may have gotten devkits with their names written on it.
The rectangle one must be a small screen showing the name of the game running like the XB O X devkit.
Would be funny if Sony sent different developers the devkit but with the company logo in different positions. Person at the company think they're hiding who they are, Sony know exactly what developer based in what area of the console is blacked out ;p

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

Make sense

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One thing to keep in mind here particularly if the actual hardware being used is super close per the rumors is that Richard from Digital Foundry mentioned during that EGX 2019 talk posted yesterday that paper TF specs alone definitely do not explain how the Xbox One X can get 4 times the pixel count of base PS4 (6 TF versus 1.84 TF) and 2 times the pixel count of PS4 Pro in many games (6 TF versus 4.2 TF). Heck, Cerny himself said that he thought 8TF was necessary for 4K and we got native 4K on Red Dead Redemption 2 on the X. So we truly don't know much at all about eventual real world game performance a year out considering that both companies may be doing things in their architecture with cache, latency, draw call efficiency (the ultimate foundation of any graphics pipeline) and so forth. That is why consoles are more interesting than "off the shelf" PC parts.

Note that I do not believe that there is some crazy magic that will suddenly enable one or the other to have a huge performance advantage if the hardware is truly so close, just that eventual relative performance to each other cannot be credibly assessed a year out for the reasons I cited and final driver tweaks and everything else that can come (you see updated Nividia and AMD drivers all the time right when new GPUs launch that improve performance).
I feel u r way too invested in Xbox being stronger that when we finally see ps5 is indeed stronger you will find stuff (crazy magic that u say it doesn't exist now ). Cause when mind doesn't accept something it will create alternative realities .Every post you make reads the same way lol . Give it a rest maybe and wait and see what happens ?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I feel u r way too invested in Xbox being stronger that when we finally see ps5 is indeed stronger you will find stuff (crazy magic that u say it doesn't exist now ). Cause when mind doesn't accept something it will create alternative realities .Every post you make reads the same way lol . Give it a rest maybe and wait and see what happens ?

Come on, I am just talking logical facts here is all on next gen "speculation" thread. I have no idea which one will ultimately have any small edge or not in real world game performance, and nobody else does either at this point. I suppose it is so much better for those who act as if PS5 has a legitimate power advantage based on Klee saying that a 3rd party developer friend said at E3 that there was a very slight PS5 advantage and also that they were essentially equal in performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.