Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is most likely true on both sides, though. ( Insert Get Smart "I know you know I know you knew " bit here)
Gonzalo going from 1.8 to 2.0 ghz is proof that Sony too is trying to increase clocks. It's not just MS.

Also, this was in the PS5 reveal article.

(The devkit, an early "low-speed" version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.)

www.wired.com

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

Don't expect it anytime in 2019, but the next PlayStation console is well on its way—and it's packing ray-tracing support and a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Oberon 2.0 ghz went into the new devkits we see in those leaked pics.

Jun 23, 2019
I can't answer that.

Please understand.

I imagine this is you reading some of these posts in here.
7c6.gif

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
PSP on Vita? Maybe, no idea. PS2 on PS3 I would think would be the first. Not the launch editions with the EE+GS chip, but the Euro ones with just the GS. They're emulating the EE in software.
PS1 on PS3 was pure software.

edit: Supposedly PS1 on some (all?) PS2 Slims was at least partially software also (still using the PS2 GPU for drawing), which is why they had more compatibility problems with PS1 games. I guess it's plausible since the PSP ran PS1 games halfway decently on a very similar CPU.

I'm still not sure about PSP on Vita, a Sony executive mentioned at one point well after launch that they added some MIPS instructions to the Vita's CPU to make BC easier.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
Not trying to knock you, senjutsusage , but I remember last gen discussions you thought the Xbox eSRAM was special sauce, and that there would be no way Sony would be more powerful

There's so much we don't know about Sony's plans at this point, but we pretty much have a pretty good baseline for Series X specs already. Yes, they could change slightly, but it's highly doubtful they will by a lot.

Meanwhile almost nothing is known about Sony's target specs, and they have a history of being less traditional (and more surprising) than Microsoft when it comes to their consoles designs.

I don't see why the same company that shocked us with 8GB GDDR5 may have some SSD enhancements that give it an edge in that area, you seem to think it's unimaginable

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we go with the rumors then it sound like PS5 will be really fast, and Xbox a bit more powerful and fast. Anyways, both will be awesome consoles :)

If we go with the rumors then it sound like Xbox will be powerful and fast, and PS5 a bit more powerful and faster. Anyways, both will be awesome consoles :)

Fixed that for you

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect Sony to be holding back some of their cards, that is why we have no real spec info from them, but personally I would bet on MS to win the power war, it means more to them, Sony can sell 100 million while being weaker, MS can't.

Companies Heads are not going to think that way .
Both of them would want it since it's a good marketing point among other things .
Both will try and get it who ever wins just made the better hardware in that aspect.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This thread is starting to get ridiculous and a bit embarrassing tbh. Especially some of the things people are saying. We all need to chill out and relax lol

Jun 23, 2019
Not trying to knock you, senjutsusage , but I remember last gen discussions you thought the Xbox eSRAM was special sauce, and that there would be no way Sony would be more powerful

There's so much we don't know about Sony's plans at this point, but we pretty much have a pretty good baseline for Series X specs already. Yes, they could change slightly, but it's highly doubtful they will by a lot.

Meanwhile almost nothing is known about Sony's target specs, and they have a history of being less traditional (and more surprising) than Microsoft when it comes to their consoles designs.

I don't see why the same company that shocked us with 8GB GDDR5 may have some SSD enhancements that give it an edge in that area, you seem to think it's unimaginable

Wait, is he the same SenjutsuSage from GAF/N4G days? I knew his name sounded familiar! I'm going to uh, have to read his comments with a bit more scrutiny now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
yes, at least to anyone outside geoff and any ms employees. shows like this have a billion people from a ton of industries and jobs working, so they had to not let stuff leak.
Yeah, I was reading the tweet about this.

Genius move by MS, Phil that paid off IMO. They gambled right.

I know most of us assumed industry folks in the audience already knew. I think it's a good chance Sony didn't know.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If Xsx is on 7nm+, and PS5 is not then PS5 needs to be $399.

I doubt that either is on 7nm+ since verified insiders said they're close in power.

7nm+ and 7nm are 'close' in terms of power efficiency/transistor density/potential performance improvement... like 10-20% depending on which metric you pick. It isn't a drastic difference. I'm not sure what the conclusion about price is based on either. 7nm+ would be preferable for whatever improvement it does offer, but it's not some night-and-day leap that renders other factors irrelevant for the performance or price of the end product.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
By far the most tangible and relevant things to this discussion of next gen console raw power occurred on 12/12 at the Game Awards and after. Phil Spencer said "Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there." He also added, "We like leading in power and performance, and I feel like we're going to be there again." And the Xbox Series X form factor is all about power and function over form per the design.

Xbox to me has clear pole position on this until outright proven otherwise by the full reveals themselves or a multiple sourced article from someone like Jason at Kotaku or Digital Foundry that reveals the specs and isn't refuted by either Microsoft or Sony within 24 hours. Jason coming on here today to make sure that people understood that he never actually said the PS5 was more powerful than the Xbox Series X was interesting in this regard too.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
So is the PS5 is using GCN yet?

Well of course not but there was this curious part of the Wired article that I would like more details about:

Wired said:
Because it's based in part on the PS4's architecture, it will also be backward-compatible with games for that console.

Can't remember who/where said it (sorry if you read this) but they did suggest something along the lines of a third butterfly "wing" making 3 20CU sections. PS4, Pro and PS5. 60CU with 2CUs deactivated per section for 54CUs total.

No idea if that makes much sense but thought it was interesting.

Dec 8, 2018
By far the most tangible and relevant things to this discussion of next gen console raw power occurred on 12/12 at the Game Awards and after. Phil Spencer said "Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there." He also added, "We like leading in power and performance, and I feel like we're going to be there again." And the Xbox Series X form factor is all about power and function over form per the design.

Xbox to me has clear pole position on this until outright proven otherwise by the full reveals themselves or a multiple sourced article from someone like Jason at Kotaku or Digital Foundry that reveals the specs and isn't refuted by either Microsoft or Sony within 24 hours. Jason coming on here today to make sure that people understood that he never actually said the PS5 was more powerful than the Xbox Series X was interesting in this regard too.

Dude believe me everybody that have read your posts know EXACTLY what you believe so don't worry about it the X series X will be a great device.

Jan 20, 2019

How many times are you going to do this?

Did you forgot to read the rest?

Didnt you post tweet about to stop concole warring, yet, every time you coment is the same fucking thing?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish we could split PS5 and Xbox speculation into their own threads. Certain people are making this just annoying to read.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Dude believe me everybody that have read your posts know EXACTLY what you believe so don't worry about it the X series X will be a great device.

I posted my own logical reading of things based on what has actually happened in public, nothing more. Sony may still end up up on top power wise if either of those two things happen, and I won't pretend that there is some super secret under the hood magic to overcome it if that is revealed at that point.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
How many times are you going to do this?

Did you forgot to read the rest?

Didnt you post tweet about to stop concole warring, yet, every time you coment is the same fucking thing?

I didn't post console warrior stuff at all, rather my read on why it is logical to assume Xbox is going to edge out the power until shown otherwise in one of those two ways (may still happen). Others are free to post Cerny in bathtubs and talk about epic Sony first party output and everything else under the sun in this thread, but somehow my analysis of open facts is console warring, sure.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Yeah, so the numbers entailing different generations of RDNA might be incorrect at least.

Ugh, that misterxmedia guy but this is also interesting:

"I don't want to answer much about the features Ariel has, but I tell you that you misunderstand the meaning of LITE. LITE refers to iGPU. That's all."

The famous "lite"! And Komachi repeats,in answer to him, that this is a Sony thing.

cc: anexanhume

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we could split PS5 and Xbox speculation into their own threads. Certain people are making this just annoying to read.

I feel we should do this after Sony event.
If it like last gen one there will game games , specs and OS stuff .
Which will be better to talk about in just a Sony thread or MS one when they do.

"I don't want to answer much about the features Ariel has, but I tell you that you misunderstand the meaning of LITE. LITE refers to iGPU. That's all."

He is really tying his best to make it seem like PS5 is a older gen.
Out all the people to get into debate with he chose misterx lol.

Jan 20, 2019
I didn't post console warrior stuff at all, rather my read on why it is logical to assume Xbox is going to edge out the power until shown otherwise in one of those two ways (may still happen). Others are free to post Cerny in bathtubs and talk about epic Sony first party output and everything else under the sun in this thread, but somehow my analysis of open facts is console warring, sure.

Then post thoes facts.

You pick a line from Jason and forget to read the resf, how is that a fact?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Any chance we're gonna see PS5 amnounced on official meeting in January/February?
That is very likely what's going to happen.

This thread is starting to get ridiculous and a bit embarrassing tbh. Especially some of the things people are saying. We all need to chill out and relax lol
The funniest thing about this thread, or should I say series of threads, is that after years of speculation and arguing, and tens of thousands of posts, the most likely outcome when both of these consoles launch is that they're very comparable in terms of specs. Even if one has a small advantage it will essentially be meaningless in most games. So this thread is pretty much all for nothing. lol

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Definitely never said no way Sony would be more powerful. I said esram would be very useful utilized correctly, and I wasn't wrong. I said Xbox One wouldn't be nearly as weak as many thought, and that was proven imo, at launch looking at Ryse. There were just early esram challenges. I also said, despite numerous gaf insiders saying otherwise, that the rumored downclock on Xbox one GPU was 100% incorrect and I verified through mods as much as I could safely without getting anyone in trouble.

I don't doubt they could have an SSD advantage, I just don't believe it will be big enough to make the difference some believe because of what I believe Xbox will have. Happy to be wrong since I'll own a PS5 also, just as I own a ps4 and PS4 pro. Although my og PS4 came late and by an accidental gift by a friend thinking I didn't have one cause I always talk about Xbox.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The famous "lite"! And Komachi repeats,in answer to him, that this is a Sony thing.

cc: anexanhume

yeah, there's a few things I really want to ask Komachi too, but tbh, I think he's already having it hard answering fanboys from both sides.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I feel we should do this after Sony event.
If it like last gen one there will game games , specs and OS stuff .
Which will be better to talk about in just a Sony thread or MS one when they do.

He is really tying his best to make it seem like PS5 is a older gen.
Out all the people to get into debate with he chose misterx lol.

Putty , please forgive me but i think his answer was important to post it here :)

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Then post thoes facts.

You pick a line from Jason and forget to read the resf, how is that a fact?

I won't go back and forth any more, other than the public facts on record now are (1) the head of Xbox saying that he values leading in power and feels that they will get there after revealing their next gen console for the first time and (2) the console form factor clearly going for performance and function first. The observation about Jason making note of that was nothing more than giving context that clearly no sources are feeding him information after the Xbox reveal to try and refute the current situation. Full reveals or a multiple sourced story that isn't refuted by either side will of course confirm things one way or another.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
This was linked on B3D in regards to HBM pricing.

semiengineering.com

What’s Next For High Bandwidth Memory

Different approaches for breaking down the memory wall.

Three years ago, HBM cost about $120/GB. Today, the unit prices for HBM2 (16GB with 4 stack DRAM dies) is roughly $120, according to TechInsights. That doesn't even include the cost of the package.

Some at B3D think that Sony could get a 4x2 stack for <$60 and fill the rest with ddr4.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, is he the same SenjutsuSage from GAF/N4G days? I knew his name sounded familiar! I'm going to uh, have to read his comments with a bit more scrutiny now.

Same one who never trolled anything PlayStation ever, just supported Xbox from what I felt was unfair bias. Same one trolled to hell and back when I was saying contrary to others stating otherwise that there was no Xbox one GPU downclock.

I also have no idea what n4g is.

Status
Not open for further replies.