• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So now...VRS / Direct X is the new MS secret sauce... It looks like we didn't learn anything from the current Gen...

Didn't Direct X 12 supposed to unleash the power of Xbox One?...

Are you aware of how few full fledged DX12 engine based games there are out there? DX12 was always important, and for games that utilized it well, Xbox One shined. Games that used it such as Playground's titles demonstrated the very best of results.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
This is the stuff I love the most. I mean we know Sony is working on RT (Polyphony Digital has been exploring it for a while), we know they're hard on for SSD stuffs which probably includes paging, but I don't think we have anything regarding VRS?

It's always interesting to me to see Sony (HW mostly) vs. Microsoft (SW mostly) when it comes to these features. We also have heard insiders claim that PS4 dev environment > Xbox One dev environment. We also know that PS4's suspend/resume is much better than Xbox One's suspend/resume. I guess I'd like to see how Microsoft improves on this, but for multiple games and if Sony does the same thing.

I can't wait to see both of these consoles get fully revealed + major software features. This is the most exciting times.
Source on dev enviroment?

We should also point out that MS had suspend resume from day one which didn't change and that due to lack of power they were forced to release cpu core and additional memory back to games which affected speed and operation of the UI. It is also up to developers to implement just as is achievement progress tracking, some do it well others don't at all.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I can't resist to write it feels more different this time than back in 2013. Sony are way confident in their ip titles (no doubt and they should) and it doesn't make much sense for them to gamble and produce a more powerful console than ms with obviously a higher price tag. As a leading console company they won't make any loss on their ps5.
Ps5 will no matter what sell plenty of units and Sony will develop awesome games again this gen. But most powerful? I'm pretty sure the prize for that goes to Ms this time with their tower of beast Series X. Developed exclusively for high demanding gamers.

I'm more curious how much less powerful is ps5 really. Of course ps5 Pro will be launched some years later and catch up with the difference.

We'll see in February or later in this spring how everything turns out. The Internet didn't die when Xbox one x launched and it was the most powerful console on the market.

Oct 27, 2017
I Perhaps it is time for era to get their very own CBOAT...

Something Matt said the other day made me reevaluate my thinking about insiders. I have said more than a few times that what happened on GAF jaded me, but when Matt said something about insiders posting things that they only feel comfortable with, it got me thinking about CBOAT again.

So, what if era had a mod account, we'll call it "Mr Leaks" or "Mrs Leaks". Here, VERIFIED insiders could PM the account info that they are not comfortable sharing, and said account after perhaps a second vet then posts it!

Good idea? Bad idea? I don't know. It could certainly make it harder to identify the source..

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Something Matt said the other day made me reevaluate my thinking about insiders. I have said more than a few times that what happened on GAF jaded me, but when Matt said something about insiders posting things that they only feel comfortable with, it got me thinking about CBOAT again.

So, what if era had a mod account, we'll call it "Mr Leaks" or "Mrs Leaks". Here, VERIFIED insiders could PM the account info that they are not comfortable sharing, and said account after perhaps a second vet then posts it!

Good idea? Bad idea? I don't know. It could certainly make it harder to identify the source..

Great idea. Phenomenal in fact.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

oGod idae. Do ti msod.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

That is an interesting idea!
We should have thought about it a year ago!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not for me. No real accountability for ones comments and it would end up turning this place into the Daily Mail online and folk are desperate for any new salacious rumour or hint, or even worse it could turn out like the old place.

Let insiders post what they want and if they're right they're right and if they're wrong they're wrong. No one has a 100% record and no one ever will.

Apart from @ntkrnl he was the real deal. No hints or teases just fucking bombs.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017

SaneGroinOnABoat

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina

Only if we get to post those butt gifs from jurrasic park

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't know, not nearly enough teraflops in this idea. Maybe boost the clock speed some and then repitch. I just don't think it landed the way it should have.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
oGod idae. Do ti msod.
S̨̨̼͎̼̙̘̲̰͂̀̉̎̉̔̆̒͘͞p̢̛̳̦̣̯̠͍̳̝̙͂̅̌̅̐̀̀̓͠å̡̢͕͍̣͕͙͗͗́̎̇̕͢͜͜m̷̡̧̛̫̭͉͙̓͑̽̍̌̿͋͡ a̵̡̭̩̳̬̳̬̓̌̊͛̀̈̾̇̊͞ͅǹ̷̡̮͉͍̺̞͔͊̓̄͋̇̆̎͢d̶̮͓̙͕͈̆̅̀͑̾͂ h̢̡̫͕̣̲͎̪͂̈̄͊̚̚̕͘a̢̛̺̣̦̫̠̰̱̘̿̂́̃̽̑͌͘̕m̡̼͕̙͇̮̂̅͆̀́͡,̴͚̙̖̪̥͎͈̞͂̑̔̾̃̑̀̇͐͛͢ b̷̯̘̰̝̯̿̔͂̔̾̇̿̑̐ͅȉ̢̞̭̭͈̗̫͗͛́͛̕͞ņ̵̺̜͖̱͚̜̎̍̓͑͌̌̌̊͆g̷̡̗̬̹̹̲͎̍́̌̎̽̆̿̚͟͠ͅ b͎͚̟̬̮̯̓͐͛́̋o͔̠͔͚̪͋͑̉͛͂̅͊͘n̷̨̻̣̦̰̩̈́̒͌̆͋̀̑̒ͅģ̻̟̹͓̣̦͗͑̂̊̎̑̆̄͠ b̧̛͔̙̹̱̮͈̠̭̿̈͘͟͞ą̷̩̖̙̹̩̬̻͚͋̂̂̎͗̏̀̄̓̎͟ḿ̸͚̬͖̙̠̈́̄̊̎͘ͅ

Dec 8, 2018
That's why Klee hasn't say anything about PS5 > XB recently, he has the specs-
#Backto8.

He have said multiple times that his previous statement stand in other words PS5>XsS but also that nothing is written in stone and things can happen. That he now says he actually have the specs is new.

Edit: switch to the right greater than sign

Sry

Last edited:

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Are you aware of how few full fledged DX12 engine based games there are out there? DX12 was always important, and for games that utilized it well, Xbox One shined. Games that used it such as Playground's titles demonstrated the very best of results.

Sure did it closed the gap with Ps4 software? No. We need to stop trying to find magical exclusive solutions that will help outperform better hardware...that works in both ways.

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. No real accountability for ones comments and it would end up turning this place into the Daily Mail online and folk are desperate for any new salacious rumour or hint, or even worse it could turn out like the old place.

Let insiders post what they want and if they're right they're right and if they're wrong they're wrong. No one has a 100% record and no one ever will.

Apart from @ntkrnl he was the real deal. No hints or teases just fucking bombs.
I was there watching nktrnl unload in real time lol. A strange night.

I don't agree with what you said above though. The mods who controlled the account would only post I am sure worthwhile info from verified sources. As I said, I don't know if it is good or bad..

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
I really don't get Tom's point, none of that extra tech is exclusive or particularly special. Does he really not think Sony will be striving to add the same things? Come on, Tom....
Did he say that it was exclusive or anything like that? You are missing a very important word in reading what he said and that is "match"

He's stating MS has been working with RT, VRS, and memory paging for years, has sony ever worked with any of it isn't it all new to them? So is he wrong asking if they'll be able to match MS solution?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if we could just act in good faith and refrain from gaslighting or warring or trashing each other. We have somehow slipped into the best console launch timeline and it's still not good enough for some folks.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Holy fuck, the threads are moving fast after the Series X announcement!
Wish february could come sooner... Want that PS5 goodness.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was there watching nktrnl unload in real time lol. A strange night.

I don't agree with what you said above though. The mods who controlled the account would only post I am sure worthwhile info from verified sources. As I said, I don't know if it is good or bad..
An account controlled by mods, focusing mainly on bad Xbox news, is bad for a forum. There is no way to make that look good in any way.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It would be cool if we could just act in good faith and refrain from gaslighting or warring or trashing each other. We have somehow slipped into the best console launch timeline and it's still not good enough for some folks.

For some, it's not enough that the PS5 and XSX are gonna be powerhouses. They need that 10% because of insecurity or something.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure did it closed the gap with Ps4 software? No. We need to stop trying to find magical exclusive solutions that will help outperform better hardware...that works in both ways.

Nobody with common sense thinks that Sony won't get the best out of their own hardware utilizing their own tools and software. They always have. But let's not downplay DirectX 12 like there isn't a whole mountain of potential that has yet to be fully tapped by many game engines out there. Key to many of the latest PC GPU cards has been some of the fantastic innovations and features that have been introduced into DirectX.

It's only natural that we are now getting console GPUs capable of fully taking advantage of all that progress that's been made Phil would be excited to talk about that. VRS is a big deal. So is DirectX 12. I'm not worried about Sony. Look at God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, I can keep going. Let phil breath on this one. :)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yes, in other words he needs to get fully vetted by the mods and go all in instead of dancing around. Show your cards.
Dude, he has said what he had said, its left to you to believe it or not.

He always said TF numbers were in double digits. Never alluded to 10Tf or anything of the sort. He always said PS5 has a slight edge. If something has changed based on what he has or knows, then he would say so in the exact same way he said everything else... XB now has the slight edge...etc.

I can't resist to write it feels more different this time than back in 2013. Sony are way confident in their ip titles (no doubt and they should) and it doesn't make much sense for them to gamble and produce a more powerful console than ms with obviously a higher price tag. As a leading console company they won't make any loss on their ps5.
Ps5 will no matter what sell plenty of units and Sony will develop awesome games again this gen. But most powerful? I'm pretty sure the prize for that goes to Ms this time with their tower of beast Series X. Developed exclusively for high demanding gamers.

I'm more curious how much less powerful is ps5 really. Of course ps5 Pro will be launched some years later and catch up with the difference.

We'll see in February or later in this spring how everything turns out. The Internet didn't die when Xbox one x launched and it was the most powerful console on the market.
You must have missed the PS3/360 gen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
An account controlled by mods, focusing mainly on bad Xbox news, is bad for a forum. There is no way to make that look good in any way.

Seriously, it started out fine and then was clearly being abused to spread bs and misinformation. I'm still curious which mod thought it was cool to just toss in "Xbox Oneis a tech tar-baby" casual as fuck.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
I don't know, not nearly enough teraflops in this idea. Maybe boost the clock speed some and then repitch. I just don't think it landed the way it should have.

Gaining TFs by simply boosting the clocks is not that easy. There are things about thermal, power, longevity etc. they have to keep in mind. You should read on the internet on how these things works, its not as simple as flicking the switch to boost the clocks.

The persecution complex is astonishing!

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Klee has the spec sheet and still stands by his threadmarks.

Unless there's a twist on the horizon, the TF debate has ended.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From where are folks coming to this conclusion? I am legitimately curious.

It's literally, exactly what MS did last time. Microsoft renamed every standard part in their documentation to obfuscate their mundane origins. Albert Penello had his famous "We invented DirectX" rant.

But let's not downplay DirectX 12 like there isn't a whole mountain of potential that has yet to be fully tapped by many game engines out there. Key to many of the latest PC GPU cards has been some of the fantastic innovations and features that have been introduced into DirectX.

DirectX 12 is just an API. It's not magic. It's not even particularly good as many devs have historically preferred Sony's low level GNM and libGCM APIs for extracting performance. Many prefer Vulkan on the PC side. DirectX 12 is most notable for being a late attempt to catch up with what was already possible on PlayStation after AMD introduced Mantle to mimic that approach. To paint it as some incredible well of untapped potential is just ignorant.

Jun 23, 2019

Seriously. I guess people can't fathom that maybe a lot of negative Xbox news was coming out because it was actually happening. Then someone tried to say Bish was doing it on purpose as a bias against MS because there's a picture of him with Evilore wearing a Playstation hat. Like really? Grow up y'all.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gaining TFs by simply boosting the clocks is not that easy. There are things about thermal, power, longevity etc. they have to keep in mind. You should read on the internet on how these things works, its not as simple as flicking the switch to boost the clocks.

I've read up on it extensively. That said, you are literally responding to a joke I made about someone's idea for dropping leaks not having enough teraflops.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.