• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Villain Cover

• Volume 21

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Volume 42

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Volume 77

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Volume 87

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
Accursed gif

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
so we should be near the end of the flashback now right

all that's left is for oden to go back to wano and get killed

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I finally finished the Alabasta saga. Nico just joined the crew. Mannnnnn, that last arc holy shit. That was some great shonen. Gonna collect my thoughts and go through the saga arc by arc like I did last time.

Stand by

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished the Alabasta saga. Nico just joined the crew. Mannnnnn, that last arc holy shit. That was some great shonen. Gonna collect my thoughts and go through the saga arc by arc like I did last time.

Stand by
alabasta is still so good to this day

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Most of One Piece is still good to this day.
In fact I would argue that what is bad today was already bad when it came out

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One Piece is the most consistent thing I've read. The only series I have full confidence that I'll always enjoy it a lot.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nahh, I like Dr. Stone more but in terms of "confidence", it doesn't come close. Nothing I currently read does. Because One Piece has stacked 20+ years of material I consider largely great.

Hell, for Dr. Stone specifically, I'm always very aware that things could change and that I could come to enjoy it less because right now in length it's at a similar point MHA was in 2017 and in 2017-early 2018 I was heavy into MHA, liking it way more than everything else in Jump, and that's not where I'm at with that series at all now. That happening recently only keeps me aware that it could go wrong and grateful that for now it doesn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Nahh, I like Dr. Stone more but in terms of "confidence", it doesn't come close. Nothing I currently read does. Because One Piece has stacked 20+ years of material I consider largely great.

Hell, for Dr. Stone specifically, I'm always very aware that things could change and that I could come to enjoy it less because right now in length it's at a similar point MHA was in 2017 and in 2017-early 2018 I was heavy into MHA, liking it way more than everything else in Jump, and that's not where I'm at with that series at all now. That happening recently only keeps me aware that it could go wrong and grateful that for now it doesn't.
Just greatly explained many demon slayer love. I don't think it's better by any stretch of the imagination I'm just enjoying it more and we'll aware it can shit the bed it's final arc(plZ don't I've suffered enough). One piece has longevity in its side as well. Regardless how I feel about the new world one piece has stayed consistent for far too long to overlook

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ok, whew! That took longer than I thought. Anywho, here are my thoughts. So much happened I probably forgot some stuff, but I tried to be comprehensive. Put it in spoilers cause the shit is long, son

Alabasta Saga
Reverse Mountain
I didn't know how to feel about this arc at first, but I really ended up liking it. At first I thought Laboon was a buffoon(see what I did there)but when I heard his backstory I legit got emotional. I love how the sea in One Piece works, the lore behind stuff like the Calm Belt and the different island climates is fascinating.

Shout out to Luffy for befriending a whale, btw. I'm starting to think that boy could make friends with a leaf.

Out of all the B.W. Members, Mr. 9 impressed me the least. Miss Wednesday on the other hand...I love how Oda set up this super important character as just another villain at first. Genius stuff and certainly not what I was expecting when the two joined the Straw Hats to go to Whiskey Peak.

Whiskey Peak
This was a really good arc, like really good. The welcoming townspeople are actually swindlers isn't a new trope, but I loved how it was handled here. I think it was a combination of the actual celebration being really funny thanks to Oda's writing and the execution of events after things pop off. That and how it sets up the rest of the saga

Zoro' fight with Mr.8, Miss Monday, Mr.9, and Vivi was cool as hell. Out of all the Strawhats I enjoy Zoro's fights the most, so I was eating. The arrival of Mr.5(the first B.W. Agent I liked) and Miss Valentine was needed, as they are the first antagonist from Baroque Works that felt like a threat to me. Well, until Luffy and Zoro one shotted them.

But that shit was so cool I'll let it slide.

The end of the arc and how things get turned on their head with the Strawhats now protecting someone they were just fighting was magnificent. Hearing Igaram talk about Crocodile and how he commands this whole organization gave me Org XIII vibes. Shichibukai must be those dudes.

Liked Igaram's sacrifice and Luffy turning down Miss All Sunday. Btw I had no idea that was Nico til like Alabasta lol

Little Garden
Another great arc, though I think I prefer every arc this saga except Reverse Mountain over it. The stars of this arc was Brogy and Dorry, and I loved their code of honor and the respect they had for each other.

Wasn't really big on the fights this arc, and that's because Mr.3 and Golden Week are lame. Hypnosis? A giant candle stick??? Get outta here. I did like the Elbaf warriors taking out the fish and helping the Straw Hats get away though. That was awesome!

Drum Island
First fantastic arc since Arlong Park. I had seen Chooper here and there of course but always wondered how the hell a reindeer got on the crew.

Now I know.

Of all the Strawhat joining origin stories, Tony Chooper's might be my favorite. Can't be an animal because you're too human, can't be a human because you're too much like an animal. Man, that's deep stuff. Seeing Chopper come into his own after what happened to the Quack Doctor was a highlight of this entire saga for me.

The supporting characters this arc were great too. Dalton, Kureha, all fantastic. And Wapol is just the kinda shitstain you can't wait to wipe. Luffy's moment with the quack doctors flag was badass here.

I see Oda knows how to end arcs. The Cherry Blossoms in the snow...
tenor.gif

Alabasta
So, the main event. What everything had been leading up to since Whiskey Peak and it was fucking fantastic. I loved everything about this arc, from the Strawhats going after Crocodile directly to the incredible tension between the rebels and the guard.

At this point I was very much attached to Vivi, so seeing more of the kingdom she loved so much and why it was important was great. Kouza is also really cool, I wished he had done a bit more but there was so much going on.

Luffy getting multiple fights with Crocodile was a great way to show how powerful he is. Luffy hasn't really struggled against the bad guys this saga so to see Crocodile push his shit in was great. Though I am noticing Luffy gets conveniently taken out of the action a lot. I know it's for maximum hype but it does remind me of a Saiyan I know...

I adored all the Strawhats vs Organization XII(I mean B.W.) fights we got. My favorite was Zoro because he fought a human blade and cut through iron, but they were all good. Shoutout to Usopp for turning bluffing into a legit combat ability and Nami for knowing so much about weather and currents and shit. I could not use the Clima-Tact, let me tell you lol

Luffy vs Crocodile round 2 and 3 were fire. I knew water would have to figure into it because that's how Spider-Man beats Sandman, and that's what ole Croc is basically. But using blood for that last round was genuinely surprising. Kudos to Luffy for thinking outside the box.

I knew Nico was going to join eventually, but I am surprised how it happened. Lying to Crocodile to stop his plan...she's not so bad,Her devil fruit ability is really interesting to me so I'm glad I'll be seeing more of her. Her past intrigues me.

Not gonna lie, I get why Vivi stayed but I do wish she had joined the Strawhats. Maybe one day.

Overall, I say this is my favorite stretch of One Piece yet. Not saying much since I'm only 218 chapters in, but still. I'd rank the Alabasta Saga

1. Alabasta
2. Drum Island
3. Whiskey Peak
4. Little Garden
5. Reverse Mountain

Right now Zoro is still my favorite Strawhat but Luffy and Sanji are up there. Usopp feels like an evolution of the Krillin archetype, which I dig too. I like them all though, not a bad apple so far. I like Ace a shit ton too but he hasn't shown up a lot yet.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, whew! That took longer than I thought. Anywho, here are my thoughts. So much happened I probably forgot some stuff, but I tried to be comprehensive. Put it in spoilers cause the shit is long, son

Alabasta Saga
Reverse Mountain
I didn't know how to feel about this arc at first, but I really ended up liking it. At first I thought Laboon was a buffoon(see what I did there)but when I heard his backstory I legit got emotional. I love how the sea in One Piece works, the lore behind stuff like the Calm Belt the different island climates is fascinating.
Shout out to Luffy for befriending a whale, btw. I'm starting to think that boy could make friends with a leaf.

Out of all the B.W. Members, Mr. 9 impressed me the least. Miss Wednesday on the other hand...I love how Oda set up this super important character as just another villain at first. Genius stuff and certainly not what I was expecting when the two joined the Straw Hats to go to Whiskey Peak.

Whiskey Peak
This was a really good arc, like really good. The welcoming townspeople are actually swindlers isn't a new trope, but I loved how it was handled here. I think it was a combination of the actual celebration being really funny thanks to Oda's writing and the execution of events after things pop off. That and how it sets up the rest of the saga

Zoro' fight with Mr.8, Miss Monday, Mr.9, and Vivi was cool as hell. Out of all the Strawhats I enjoy Zoro's fights the most, so I was eating. The arrival of Mr.5(the first B.W. Agent I liked) and Miss Valentine was needed, as they are the first antagonist from Baroque Works that felt like a threat to me. Well, until Luffy and Zoro one shotted them.

The end of the arc and how things get turned on their head with the Strawhats now protecting someone they were just fighting magnificent. Heading Igaram talk about Crocodile and how he commands this whole organization gave me Org XIII vibes. Shichibukai must be those dudes.

Liked Igaram's sacrifice and Luffy turning down Miss All Sunday. Btw I had no idea that was Nico til like Alabasta lol

Little Garden
Another great arc, though I think I prefer every arc this saga except Reverse Mountain over it. The stars of this arc was Brogy and Dorry, and I loved their code of honor and the respect they had for each other.
Wasn't really big on the fights this arc, and that's because Mr.3 and Golden Week are lame. Hypnosis? A giant candle stick??? Get outta here. I did like the Elgar warriors taking out the fish and helping the Straw Hats get away though. That was awesome!

Drum Island
First fantastic arc since Arlong Park. I had seen Chooper here and there of course but always wondered how the hell a reindeer got on the crew.

Now I know.

Of all the Strawhat joining origin stories, Tony Chooper's might be my favorite. Can't be an animal because you're too human, can't be a human because you're too much like an animal. Man, that's deep stuff. Seeing Chopper come into his own after what happened to the Quack Doctor was a highlight of this entire saga for me.

The suooorting characters this arc were great too. Dalton, Kureha, all fantastic. And Wapol is just the kinda shitstain you can't wait to wipe. Luffy's moment with the quack doctors flag was badass here.

tenor.gif

Alabasta
So, the main event. What everything had been leading up to since Whiskey Peak and it was fucking fantastic. I loved everything about this arc, from the Strawhats going after Crocodile directly to the incredible tension between the rebels and the guard.

At this point I was very much attached to Vivi, so seeing more of the kingdom she loved so much and why it was important was great. Kouza is also really cool, I wished he had done a bit more but there was so much going on.

Luffy getting multiple fights with Crocodile was a great way to show how powerful he is. Luffy hasn't really struggled against the bad guys this saga so to see Crocodile push his shit in was great. Though I am noticing Luffy gets conveniently taken out of the action a lot. I know it's for maximum hype but it does remind me of a Saiyan I know...

I adored all the Strawhats vs Organization XII(I mean B.W.) fights we got. My favorite was Zoro because he fought a human blade and cut through iron, but they were all good. Shoutout to Usopp for turning bluffing into a legit combat ability and Nami for knowing so much about weather and currents and shit. I could not use the Clima-Tact, let me tell you lol

Luffy vs Crocodile round 2 and 3 were fire. I knew water would have to figure into it because that's how Spider-Man beats Sandman, and that's what ole Croc is basically. But using blood for that last round was genuinely surprising. Kudos to Luffy for thinking outside the box.

I knew Nico was going to join eventually, but I am surprised how it happened. Lying to Crocodile to stop his plan...she's not so bad,Her devil fruit ability is really interesting to me so I'm glad I'll be seeing more of her. Her past intrigues me.

Not gonna lie, I get why Vivi stayed but I do wish she had joined the Strawhats. Maybe one day.

Overall, I say this is my favorite stretch of One Piece yet. Not saying much since I'm only 218 chapters in, but still. I'd rank the Alabasta Saga

1. Alabasta
2. Drum Island
3. Whiskey Peak
4. Little Garden
5. Reverse Mountain

Right now Zoro is still my favorite Strawhat but Luffy and Sanji are up there. Usopp feels like an evolution of the Krillin archetype, which I dig too. I like them all though, not a bad apple so far. I like Ace a shit ton too but he hasn't shown up a lot yet.

Fun fact, Vivi being a princess was not planned at all

People read clover?!

Yesh

just wondering if we can add it to the list of manga that most of us read

At this point yea

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dropped Dr Stone like a rock, pun intended.
Not for me.
I appreciate you gave it a shot.

Alabasta Saga
Reverse Mountain
I didn't know how to feel about this arc at first, but I really ended up liking it. At first I thought Laboon was a buffoon(see what I did there)but when I heard his backstory I legit got emotional. I love how the sea in One Piece works, the lore behind stuff like the Calm Belt the different island climates is fascinating.

Whiskey Peak

The end of the arc and how things get turned on their head with the Strawhats now protecting someone they were just fighting magnificent. Heading Igaram talk about Crocodile and how he commands this whole organization gave me Org XIII vibes. Shichibukai must be those dudes.

Little Garden
Wasn't really big on the fights this arc, and that's because Mr.3 and Golden Week are lame. Hypnosis? A giant candle stick??? Get outta here. I did like the Elgar warriors taking out the fish and helping the Straw Hats get away though. That was awesome!

Drum Island

Now I know.

The suooorting characters this arc were great too. Dalton, Kureha, all fantastic. And Wapol is just the kinda shitstain you can't wait to wipe. Luffy's moment with the quack doctors flag was badass here.

tenor.gif

Alabasta

1. Alabasta
2. Drum Island
3. Whiskey Peak
4. Little Garden
5. Reverse Mountain

Happy to see the Vivi love. She's one of my favorite characters.
I lost it when Luffy used his blood to attack Crocodile (my favorite villain at that point btw).
Thank you for writing all this out. It was a pleasure to read.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Fun fact, Vivi being a princess was not planned at all
Word?
giphy.gif

That's a mark of a great writer. It felt totally organic
Happy to see the Vivi love. She's one of my favorite characters.
I lost it when Luffy used his blood to attack Crocodile (my favorite villain at that point btw).
Thank you for writing all this out. It was a pleasure to read.
Thanks for reading brother! I plan to keep doing this for each saga until I catch up. Still need to talk about each arc in Demon Slayer too, it deserves it

Status
Not open for further replies.