Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Series X next gen only games, is it First Party only cross gen games or is there a mandate that third party can't make a next gen only game?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Ideas.

I'm sure developers absolutely have ideas about how they are going to own these SSDs and CPUs this gen. And they'll do it eventually. But translating these ideas into some of the grandiose concepts people are expecting at launch is going to be a tall order.. Because executing these ideas in a successful manner will be accompanied with a need to retune basically everything about your preexisting code and designes to support these ideas.

I think people are grossly overestimating how ambitious launch games will be. They will be iterative... there will be the obvious gains (better graphical effects, faster loading) with hints at what's to come.

I don't know why this discussion insists on being focussed on launch, when MS are saying they plan to support legacy consoles for up to two years.

Up to 2 years is the timeframe MS themselves have set. There's absolutely every likelihood that grandiose new game concepts will appear within the first two years of a new platform. However, by placing these hard limitations on MS's own first parties, they are pretty much guaranteeing their devs won't be the ones originating these exciting new concepts that are engendered by the ability to exclusively take advantage of next-gen console tech..

Since then, how many truly great launch games have there been?

Here's my thinking — let's say that Sony/MS can get their 1st party devs a workable set of specs 3 years in advance. They only have 3 years to code for a set of specs that are possibly changing over the course of development. Not an ideal scenario for developing a game, even one of limited scope. On top of that, the games don't get the benefit of a flexible deadline, because that console launch date sure ain't moving. How many polished/quality games are made in 3 years nowadays?

3 years is the average period for games development. 4 for bigger games. That's pretty reasonable, and given the micro architectural similarities in hardware between this new and current-gen (which itself is a first in the console space), you HAVE to take credit for the fact that game devs will be able to retain all their engine code, tool chains and asset production workflows this gen transition.

So in general, this transition will be one of the easiest, meaning devs making launch games will spend less time fighting with the SDK trying to get stuff to run and more time iterating on ideas to tighten and polish their game ready for launch.

Last edited:

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
You are not making your case very well. If all that needs to be done, to make a next gen game work on current gen, is to remove a few bushes, lower the res and textures and lower the amount of Npc's a bit then the game was never made from the ground up in the first place.

Which is exactly what people are having a discussion about.
Even if you compare PS2/og xbox game to PS4/xb1 game same would apply. How is Witcher working on Switch?

GTA V running on Intel HD 2000 a 110Gflop GPU (0.11Tf)

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When will we see next gen MP only? I have more of a problem with that. I'm thinking they'll hang around for a while this gen. That might be a little anti consumer ( I'm not sure anymore). I want to see a new battlefield with tons of destruction. BF4 was pretty broken at launch but I still think that game was an awesome launch title. Adding a lot more players felt next gen at the time. As a console player at least

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be confuse in what i saying i not talking about MS first party per say .
I am talking about old systems holding back the new ones .
It don't have to be MS it can be anyone .

Like you said different games have different design approaches.
The reason why i was using HZD was because co op and flying were two issues that PS4 stop from happening in that game.
So if we get them on PS5 it because PS5 make it possible to do and PS4 would have hold back HZD2 .

IMO when saying a system can hold back a game it's best to uses a certain IP and then show what the new system can do for it .
Since like you said design approach can be very different from game to game.
Some thing like the new GOW the SSD can be a big change in certain aspect that would matter to GOW but not other games.

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken but I thought MS' decision to release crossgen games for a while juxtaposed with Sony's decision not to was part of the context.

Yes, supporting old gen means deciding not to do something's that are possible in the new gen. But that's only "holding back" if those impossible things would have materialized otherwise. Most developers are going to be more conservative with their first outing... largely due to time constraints and the overhaul needed to support radical ideas.

I'm seeing people say that if Halo Infinite wasn't an xbox one game, it would arrive at launch as an open world, with fully destructible environments, the ability to fly into outer space at will, and feature battles with hundreds of enemy AI and friends enemies piloting all sorts of vehicles. In reality, it probably would have been beautiful, yet much less radical departure from the design principles that the series is famous. Thats not to say 343 wouldn't have found novel use for thr hardware. Theres just no way a game that ambitious would have been planned for launch.

And I think the same will generally ne true for next gen exclusives at launch too.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Exactly. You're saying it's not enough to get GOAT level games. You ALSO have to have games that take advantage of the next gen hardware. Hahaha good grief.

In order to sell a new console? It's not exactly unreasonable. I didn't buy a Switch at launch because I could play Breath of the Wild on my Wii U and there weren't other announced titles I was excited about. That doesn't make Breath of the Wild any less amazing, it just didn't sell me on a Switch.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This whole cross gen games are bad narrative is so silly. Gears 5 is a game that runs well on the OG XB1, and yet Digital Foundry called it one of the best looking games this year, on any platform.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming MS's plans are true (no next gen games until 2022 at the latest), it begs the question, what if the first party devs simply arent ready for a 2020 launch?

• Coalition just shipped a game a few months ago. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • obsidan shipped a game two months ago. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • ninja theory is coming out with a game next year. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • playground games shipped forza horizon 4 last year. 2 years is probably not enough for a fable reboot.

its safe to assume that none of these studios are making cross gen games. they might release remasters or patches for xsx versions, but its safe to expect no new cross gen or next gen titles from them until 2022.

that leaves
  • turn 10- racing game. i can see them getting away with a cross gen title. the genre has stagnated anyway. same could be true for polyphony digital. next gt might be cross gen.
  • state of decay devs - last released a game in may 2018. 2.5 years is probably too soon to get a game ready for launch. holiday 2021 would give them 3.5 years. i highly doubt their next game is a cross gen title.
  • rare - last release march 2018. they could have a smaller banjo or ratchet style game ready for release. but if they are working on an AAA game i highly doubt its cross gen since it wont release by the end of 2021 anyway.
  • the initiative - this new studio is the only candidate that makes sense to be making a cross gen game. probably started dev in 2017, too early for next gen. ms likely didnt finalize their plans until 2018 when they first announced their next gen plans. maybe they have a launch and launch window game along with halo infinite.
so thats three games at launch or during the launch window. forza 8. halo infinite. initiative new ip (maybe). and i think this is just matt booty telling us to keep our expectations down. its clear that their studio acquisitions were done a bit too late.

i think when at their xbox meeting, they will show off halo, initiative new ip, forza, state of decay 3 and rare's new game. pretty much an even split between cross gen and next gen.

sony will likely show off horizon 2, gt7, bluepoint's remake, spiderman and maybe a gow tease. i think gt7 is cross gen and bluepoint's game WAS cross gen since they were hiring people for a ps4 title. but making horizon and bluepoint's next gen is probably the only reason why they will have more next gen games at launch.

regardless, its pretty evident that both first party studios need to build new studios and more teams within each studio because if they cant get next gen only games out in 3 years they we are going to have some pretty rough years next gen. i dont see how spiderman and gow release in 2021 after just three years in dev. tlou3, ghosts 2, death stranding 2 and ghosts 2 are also likely 2023 titles at best. sony too needs a lot more teams to bridge the gap.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've been curious about lately is how raytracing is going to be implemented in a lot of games. I know reflections are the most likely candidate (and probably will be a key focus for racing games and early gen games). I hope GI is utilized more often since I think it has a massive visual impact. Either that or combining something like SVOGI with RT shadows and AO for some serious depth and consistency in lighting. It's very cool to think about the sheer variety of ways it can be used. Hell, I could even see some games utilizing it differently on a per scene basis depending on what makes the biggest difference. Excited to see how it pans out.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sad to say the discussion's gotten a lot more boring these past few days. I keep reloading the thread in the hopes that something new and exciting has happened, but alas, it has not :(

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
This thread grew by a bunch of pages since I last looked. What are the highlights from this weekend?
I'm sure others will comment. It's basically talk about next-gen games (built from ground up) exclusives not being available at launch for the Series X. 1-2 years before we see anything like that. We'll have cross-gen games in the interim.

There's the guess work of the PS Meeting. Supposedly an image of the next Assassin's Creed game was leaked via 4chan and that it will be unveiled at the Meeting. Feb. 12th is the rumored date so far.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe we're at the point that jaguar cpus are perfectly fine and aren't going to hold back games next gen.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Even if you compare PS2/og xbox game to PS4/xb1 game same would apply. How is Witcher working on Switch?

GTA V running on Intel HD 2000 a 110Gflop GPU (0.11Tf)

The witcher doesn't require a SSD to run does it? It was also made to run on tablet grade cpu's.

You posting vids of people making games run on potatoes isn't really a good example either. You are just scaling down textures and resolution, foliage etc until it can run on shitty hardware but again that is all visual. Surface level.

Nothing comparable to a game designed around an ssd for example.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread grew by a bunch of pages since I last looked. What are the highlights from this weekend?
A warm-up before Lockhart.

Booty has repeated something he said more vaguely weeks ago about Xbox studios supporting the current gen, this time by detailing that the Serie X won't have exclusives coming from them during a year or two.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm sure others will comment. It's basically talk about next-gen games (built from ground up) exclusives not being available at launch for the Series X. 1-2 years before we see anything like that. We'll have cross-gen games in the interim.

There's the guess work of the PS Meeting. Supposedly an image of the next Assassin's Creed game was leaked via 4chan and that it will be unveiled at the Meeting. Feb. 12th is the rumored date so far.

Interesting, thanks. I was aware of Series X exclusive next-gen games being 1-2 years away, but not the rumored Feb 12th date for PlayStation Meeting.

Dec 8, 2018
I think I'm going to roll with the actual devs of the game (frankie) who have said that the xbox one isn't holding the vision they set out for the game over DF and you.

The vision they had all along was with the Xbox one in mind!

XsX version will be a far better looking vision than the Xbox one but not the same as if they would not have to deal with the slow HDD and CPU among all the other outdated tech.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And games coming out for the PS5 only started their development when PS4 was the main platform????

And since I asked you this twice and both times earlier you refused to answer me, perhaps since I was ignored, I want you to answer me this.

You in this very thread not only wanted to start a conversation about how unimpressed you were with the current gen first party games and especially Xbox according to you and how you wanted to be blown away and see creativity from them again.

No here you are defending the same first party that you want to blow you away and be creative but have no trouble defending for not going the route that would lead to games that have the largest opportunity to impress and be creative namely next gen only games.

Explain this reasoning to me now that I know you read what I say.

Or am I going on the ignored list again?

I don't think this gen was boring because of any design issues, I just don't think I liked the games because they were medicore.

Having a potential "next gen" bump isn't going to suddenly make these games better.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't believe we're at the point that jaguar cpus are perfectly fine and aren't going to hold back games next gen.

I think they eventually will but I just don't think early gen games ever take full advantage of the new hardware anyways. That's why cross gen happens for the first year or so on new hardware because there's really no need not to put them on older consoles at first.

Nov 11, 2017
The vision they had all along was with the Xbox one in mind!

XsX version will be a far better looking vision than the Xbox one but not the same as if they would not have to deal with the slow HDD and CPU among all the other outdated tech.
Getting rid of an xbox one version wouldn't suddenly change the vision that they had for the game 5 years ago, game development isn't completed overnight. They will take advantage of the sds/RT cores/VRS 2.0 etc in wayys that fit the vision they built the last 5-6 years

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunately there is a defense force for everything and it's almost pointless discussing it with certain members. Hopefully we get some news soon so we can move on. Maybe a PSM date will be the catalyst we need.

Nov 11, 2017
Unfortunately there is a defense force for everything and it's almost pointless discussing it with certain members. Hopefully we get some news soon so we can move on. Maybe a PSM date will be the catalyst we need.
Please point to the people saying the Jaguars cores should be used for next gen gaming, you're painting a very broad dangerous brush with this passive aggressive post. I haven't seen one person in here stating that.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Can you please provide an example of what a next gen game is supposed to look like if Halo Infinite doesn't look like a next gen game.
I don't need to provide an example. Halo looked great, but firmly in the realm of high-tier current-gen. It's targeting 4k60 on XSX so that's to be expected.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

By the way, that Assassins Creed rumor is bunk, according to ZhugeEX . https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...ns-creed-ragnarok-leaked.164331/post-28172559

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Please point to the people saying the Jaguars cores should be used for next gen gaming, you're painting a very broad dangerous brush with this passive aggressive post. I haven't seen one person in here stating that.

There are plenty acting like scaling will solve everything and plenty that are acting like current gen wont hold back crossgen games.

This is pretty much the same as saying that the Jaguar Cpu's are not a problem.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Assuming MS's plans are true (no next gen games until 2022 at the latest), it begs the question, what if the first party devs simply arent ready for a 2020 launch?

• Coalition just shipped a game a few months ago. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • obsidan shipped a game two months ago. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • ninja theory is coming out with a game next year. they wont have any games ready at launch.
  • playground games shipped forza horizon 4 last year. 2 years is probably not enough for a fable reboot.

its safe to assume that none of these studios are making cross gen games. they might release remasters or patches for xsx versions, but its safe to expect no new cross gen or next gen titles from them until 2022.

that leaves
  • turn 10- racing game. i can see them getting away with a cross gen title. the genre has stagnated anyway. same could be true for polyphony digital. next gt might be cross gen.
  • state of decay devs - last released a game in may 2018. 2.5 years is probably too soon to get a game ready for launch. holiday 2021 would give them 3.5 years. i highly doubt their next game is a cross gen title.
  • rare - last release march 2018. they could have a smaller banjo or ratchet style game ready for release. but if they are working on an AAA game i highly doubt its cross gen since it wont release by the end of 2021 anyway.
  • the initiative - this new studio is the only candidate that makes sense to be making a cross gen game. probably started dev in 2017, too early for next gen. ms likely didnt finalize their plans until 2018 when they first announced their next gen plans. maybe they have a launch and launch window game along with halo infinite.
so thats three games at launch or during the launch window. forza 8. halo infinite. initiative new ip (maybe). and i think this is just matt booty telling us to keep our expectations down. its clear that their studio acquisitions were done a bit too late.

i think when at their xbox meeting, they will show off halo, initiative new ip, forza, state of decay 3 and rare's new game. pretty much an even split between cross gen and next gen.

sony will likely show off horizon 2, gt7, bluepoint's remake, spiderman and maybe a gow tease. i think gt7 is cross gen and bluepoint's game WAS cross gen since they were hiring people for a ps4 title. but making horizon and bluepoint's next gen is probably the only reason why they will have more next gen games at launch.

regardless, its pretty evident that both first party studios need to build new studios and more teams within each studio because if they cant get next gen only games out in 3 years they we are going to have some pretty rough years next gen. i dont see how spiderman and gow release in 2021 after just three years in dev. tlou3, ghosts 2, death stranding 2 and ghosts 2 are also likely 2023 titles at best. sony too needs a lot more teams to bridge the gap.

Yep. The number of games that will be affected by this seems pretty low given where MS's studios are in their development cycles. Also, I think it is way too early for The Initiative's game. I believe the studio formed in early 2018 and is still staffing up.

Nov 11, 2017
If this is about Halo Infinite, that game has been in development since 2015 where the vision was already set out for Xbox one not Series X.
Yes it is which is why cancelling the xbox one version wouldn't matter at this point like I stated above.
There are plenty acting like scaling will solve everything and plenty that are acting like current gen wont hold back crossgen games.

This is pretty much the same as saying that the Jaguar Cpu's are not a problem.
I literally haven't seen one person advocating for ms to start funding crossgen games, please point these post out.

Status
Not open for further replies.