• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think both will have benefits.

I don't think Microsoft will continue to release new consoles, so no, but it wouldn't be because they would be against it.

And I don't see the difference between Xbox Game Pass and EA Access (already available on PlayStation).
The difference is that XGP offers games from all publishers while EA Access is limited to just EA published titles. XGP is simply never coming to a PlayStation console unless just like EA Access it's limited to just Xbox Game Studios published titles, as long as it offers titles from all publishers it's direct competitor of Sony's own PlayStation Now.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
We shall see. I know some of us look at the holiday consoles launch as that year. Some look at it as Nov 2020 to Nov 2021 as a year.

And I agree it will still fit with what Booty said.

I'm thinking it's just games related, we'll probably see games from the new studios but some couldn't totally focus on next gen yet.

It just seems odd they will do things different, and only the first year or 2.
I think people take what Booty had said too literally. He said:
As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices
That sounds pretty flexible, it could be 14 months, it could be 28 months, who knows? In addition, I'm sure some games after the two year period will still be cross-gen just because they can so why not (for instance if Double Fine makes a smaller indy-like game in 2024, why not release it on the older consoles too?)? We are taking these comments too much at face value, it's not like he said it on Nov 21st so now it applies to every game coming out until Nov 21st, 2021.

So IMO, and it's pure speculation, Forza Horizon 5 will be XSX only in Q3 or Q4 2021.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but Intel is on fire:

jp2Komn.gif

Dec 8, 2018
Sony is not competing with Microsoft in B2B cloud services.

Sony using Azure is a natural partnership. It has little impact on either party - but it puts Sony's money in Microsoft's pocket and not the pocket of Amazon or other cloud providers so of course MS is happy. And Sony wouldn't use them if it wasn't a good deal, so of course they're happy.

Offering xCloud or Gamepass or PS Now on competing platforms is an unnatural partnership as they are direct competitors.

You can take the view 'hardware doesn't make the money, software does', and from that perspective having your product available in the widest possible way could net you the largest income - but people are time limited.

Consider you're Sony. Microsoft says 'hi, we want to put an xCloud app on PS5'. If people are playing xCloud or Gamepass titles they aren't playing Sony titles. And if they aren't playing Sony titles, they aren't giving you their money. Even with revenue sharing, you'd get a bigger chunk from your own sales.

That is why it won't happen.

This is why I said if PS would allow it. I never imagined they will precisely as you do and I share your exact reasoning it was a straight hypothetical.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Ok, i don't know the process behind a patent, why this latency between the fill and the grant ?

Complex patens like that one need so much time because every bit needs to be double checked and Mr Cerny was for sure not the only person to file a patent that year.

Edit: I applied for a special certification for a product once and it took slightly over 1 year to be verified and I would consider it far less complex than Cernys patent.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Guys, new Cerny patent for Backward Compatibility. Granted 15 January 2020.

Backward compatibility through use of spoof clock and fine grain frequency control

US Patent for Backward compatibility through use of spoof clock and fine grain frequency control Patent (Patent # 10,534,395 issued January 14, 2020) - Justia Patents Search

An application runs at a first operating frequency if the application is designed for a current version of a system and runs at a second operating frequency if the application is designed for a prior version of the system that operates at a lower frequency than the first operating frequency. The...
What is this date ?

Patent number: 10534395
Type: Grant
Filed: Sep 12, 2017
Date of Patent: Jan 14, 2020
Sometimes patents will change from application to granted, will be updated with innocuous text, appear in different countries' databases, or even have the text copied mostly with a different title.

This particular patent first appeared as viewable in 2018 and has been discussed at length.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
But if MS does not have a single SeX AAA first-party exclusive in 2021? Then that is going to be a major problem for them.
Why wouldn't they? 1-2 years from November 2019 is November 2021, so worst case scenario is XSX exclusives at the end of 2021, likely earlier or even at launch after all.
Where is cboat when we need him
I'd rather we didn't have fictitious mod alt-accounts spreading bullshit on here personally.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, new Cerny patent for Backward Compatibility. Granted 15 January 2020.

Backward compatibility through use of spoof clock and fine grain frequency control

US Patent for Backward compatibility through use of spoof clock and fine grain frequency control Patent (Patent # 10,534,395 issued January 14, 2020) - Justia Patents Search

An application runs at a first operating frequency if the application is designed for a current version of a system and runs at a second operating frequency if the application is designed for a prior version of the system that operates at a lower frequency than the first operating frequency. The...
There is a lot to chew on here. Had not read this one but Anex says it's old.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Also, applicant can expand/change the patent as the time goes by, which causes more delays.
Sometimes patents will change from application to granted, will be updated with innocuous text, appear in different countries' databases, or even have the text copied mostly with a different title.

This particular patent first appeared as viewable in 2018 and has been discussed at length.

Yeah changes have happen for sure from both Cerny and the Patent department side. For people who never had to do with such things it must appear strange somtimes to see such "simple" things take so long to be finalized but there is so much more work in it than just apply and wait.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That sounds pretty flexible, it could be 14 months, it could be 28 months, who knows? In addition, I'm sure some games after the two year period will still be cross-gen just because they can so why not (for instance if Double Fine makes a smaller indy-like game in 2024, why not release it on the older consoles too?)? We are taking these comments too much at face value, it's not like he said it on Nov 21st so now it applies to every game coming out until Nov 21st, 2021.
Putting a hard date on it would be stupid. It'll obviously depend on adoption rate of the new hardware, they'll have target figures in mind by certain dates. If it starts out as a mid-gen refresh claiming "next gen" and sells as well as xb1x, than that year or two is going to be extended.
So IMO, and it's pure speculation, Forza Horizon 5 will be XSX only in Q3 or Q4 2021.
Doubt. The game would already have to be underway as an exclusive right now if it were to ship 20 months from now as one. It's 10 months before the console goes on sale, an Q3/4 exclusive would be going gold late Q2-Q3 when the machine would have been on sale 1 year or less. xb1 sold around 9 million after the first calendar year, I can't see a console with zero exclusives and a high MSRP matching that figure, it'll be somewhere between that and xb1x sales.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Only the original One lacks a uhd player. Think they'd be fine not supporting it.

No current Xbox supports more than dual layer disks AFAIK. 100gb/bdxl is triple layer and they don't work in S or X.

As for games, each gen will have its own version for sale. But if for some reason you have the One version for your xsx, you'll download the updated data when installing.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
The one fact that we DO know is that games will be developed for both last gen and next gen for the 1st 1-2 years. Of course their devs are making next-gen exclusives as we speak but Spencer himself said that there wont be any next-gen exclusives for 1-2 years.

Also, it doesnt matter if its up ports or next-gen games dev'd with last gen in mind...my beef is with "no exclusives for the 1st 1-2 years"
That's not what Matt Booty said though. He said over the next 1 or 2 years in November 2019 so that's at most 1 year of the new gen. It is reasonable to infer that he's talking about porting current games to next gen with better visuals (Forza Horizon 4 ultra 4k@60 as an example).

Matt Booty said:
As our content comes out over the next year, two years all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices...
November 2019

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
There really isn't a possibility that Game Pass on Playstation would be more profitable to Sony than just sticking to PS Now.
I think Game Pass and PlayStation Now are two really different services. PlayStation Now allow people to play some old games everywhere and to download some of them. Streaming is the core concept of it.

Game Pass allow people to play some new games, day one. It will be available on streaming one day, but it isn't the core concept at all.

And people who subscribe to Xbox Game Pass do it mostly for games published by Microsoft. Those games wouldn't be available on PlayStation Now (as games included in EA Access).

I ask again, what business sense does it make for sony, to kill off their own "console-free service" and help MS build out theirs while at the same time shooting themselves in the foot by reducing how many games are sold on their platform since all gamers would have to do is just pay for a game pass subscription?
I don't see the difference between a game sold (on which Sony has 30% of the revenue) and a game available in a subscription service (Sony would have 30% of the revenue of this subscription fee).

And, again, no: Game Pass and PlayStation Now aren't direct competitors. They are two different services.

So they don't allow XCloud but they are okey with Game Pass??
If xCloud is available on every TV, I don't see why they would need to be include on PlayStation. The same isn't true for Xbox Game Pass (games can be download).

The difference is that XGP offers games from all publishers while EA Access is limited to just EA published titles. XGP is simply never coming to a PlayStation console unless just like EA Access it's limited to just Xbox Game Studios published titles, as long as it offers titles from all publishers it's direct competitor of Sony's own PlayStation Now.
People who subscribe to Xbox Game Pass do it mostly for games published by Microsoft. I don't know if it would be viable without third party games, but in the future it could be.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Regarding B/C This Patent for it was back in 2017.

Not sure if anyone caught this, but it seems this was published by Sony yesterday.

Edit: You guys are too quick. Beat me to it, but I think there's a few extra bits in the image not shown in the other posts.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Yeah changes have happen for sure from both Cerny and the Patent department side. For people who never had to do with such things it must appear strange somtimes to see such "simple" things take so long to be finalized but there is so much more work in it than just apply and wait.
We can conclude that the purpose of the patent is finalized and working ?

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Ok I read that part wrong but my point still stands. I'm not spending $500 on a next-gen console to play cross-gen games for up to a year.
I'm pro-exclusives & want to see the hardware exploited as much as possible. Designing games with last-gen in mind is a bummer. I want next-gen only games on my next-gen console.

I think you'll be disappointed the first year or the generation on both sides. Most games releasing in the first year started development as X1 and PS4 games and switched to next gen in 2018 possibly 2017 if you believe the 2019 launch rumor. These games will not take full advantage of the hardware. Third parties will have cross gen games and you can almost guarantee games like Ghosts and TLOU2 will be up ported to PS5.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Doubt. The game would already have to be underway as an exclusive right now if it were to ship 20 months from now as one. It's 10 months before the console goes on sale, an Q3/4 exclusive would be going gold late Q2-Q3 when the machine would have been on sale 1 year or less. xb1 sold around 9 million after the first calendar year, I can't see a console with zero exclusives and a high MSRP matching that figure, it'll be somewhere between that and xb1x sales.
MS isn't going to decide which game is XSX exclusive and which is cross-gen months before the game comes out. MS already knows right now all of their game portfolio until at least 2022, they know what is exclusive to XSX and what is cross-gen. It doesn't matter if XSX sells 4 million units in its first year or 20 million, that's not the type of decision you make last minute or even a year before a game launches. For instance, Hellblade 2 which just started development according to MS, is probably XSX only.

IMO Forza Horizon 5 is XSX only because it's an open-world game and a showcase from one of their best teams. It's also coming out ~1 year after XSX launch, so it's a time period that fits XSX exclusivity according to the Booty quote.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
MS isn't going to decide which game is XSX exclusive and which is cross-gen months before the game comes out. MS already knows right now all of their game portfolio until at least 2022, they know what is exclusive to XSX and what is cross-gen.
That's exactly what I said. You don't make those decisions that close to release. If you believe FH5 is SX exclusive a yearish after launch, it must be in development right now as an exclusive if it's to take advantage of the hardware in a meaningful and non-trivial way. Given the vagueness of the comment by Booty, I don't think they were making those kinds of decisions already a year or more ago.

It doesn't matter if XSX sells 4 million units in its first year or 20 million, that's not the type of decision you make last minute or even a year before a game launches. For instance, Hellblade 2 which just started development according to MS, is probably XSX only.
Again, I never said they did in terms of such releases. But it will dictate the tipping point. Hellblade 2, a marquee game pushed as being something next gen that has only just begun development, that's obviously exclusive regardless of sales or anythign else, and likely ready some time in 2023. What I'm saying about numbers though is it will depend on sales meeting targets as to when they flip the switch entirely. There's no arbitrary point in mind, hence the vague mention of year/years. People expecting exclusives to begin dropping on the one year anniversary and xb1 finally being left behind are not going to be in for good news. SX and whatever Lockhart ends up being (and whenever it ends up releasing) would have to do massive numbers to bring that date forward given Microsoft's seemingly generationless stance.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I think you'll be disappointed the first year or the generation on both sides. Most games releasing in the first year started development as X1 and PS4 games and switched to next gen in 2018 possibly 2017 if you believe the 2019 launch rumor. These games will not take full advantage of the hardware. Third parties will have cross gen games and you can almost guarantee games like Ghosts and TLOU2 will be up ported to PS5.
Nah, I'm expecting to be happy enough with what I'll get within a year of the PS5's launch.
Some games might not utilize the full potential of the new console but even 50-70% will be enough to show significant strides compared to this gen.

clintar

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I actually don't see a reason why Sony or Nintendo will allow Xcloud on their platforms. It's an app that runs a lot of games without Sony or Nintendo seeing a single cent. Why would Sony sell you a PS5 at a loss if all you are going to do with it is pay MS 10$ a month?

IMO Xcloud will be everywhere - WebOS TVs, Android devices, phones, Chromecast-like sticks, tablets, IOS, Mac, PC, etc. But Sony and Nintendo platforms? It's like allowing another app store on your console, it goes against everything this industry relays on financially.
I could see it working if they left access to the streaming app behind a PlayStation Now subscription. And same on Xbox, give access to PlayStation Now app only if you have an Xcloud sub. No way they would to that either, but it could work financially that way.

Last edited:

Joo

May 25, 2018
I think Game Pass and PlayStation Now are two really different services. PlayStation Now allow people to play some old games everywhere and to download some of them. Streaming is the core concept of it.

Game Pass allow people to play some new games, day one. It will be available on streaming one day, but it isn't the core concept at all.

And people who subscribe to Xbox Game Pass do it mostly for games published by Microsoft. Those games wouldn't be available on PlayStation Now (as games included in EA Access).

At the moment there isn't too many games published by Microsoft, so I don't know how much there's truth in that statement. Game Pass and Now are still quite new and evolving services, but core concepts aside they are definitely similar, competing platforms and will be in the future as well.

You can download every game on PS Now which PS4 is able to run. That isn't a "really different service", just a difference in backwards compatibility. MS puts first-party games on Game Pass day one. That's a difference to Sony, but it certainly doesn't make Game Pass and Now "really different services" which could coexist on a same platform. In the long run most titles on these services are going to be the same.

I'm just saying that if Game Pass and subscription services in general turn out to be the next big thing and profitable in the long run, it will always be better for Sony to make the needed changes to PS Now than put Game Pass on Playstation just because PS Now already exists and the investment has been made. I just don't see any other sensical decision for Sony.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-gen this, anti-consumer that, "PC scalability!"... at this point I just want Sony to announce anything so we can get back to talking about next-gen.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Correct. For everyone wondering, this patent is one of the drivers behind the Github leak focus. This is a patent for hardware back compat via disabling CUs and lowering clocks as detailed in the Github leak as well as how the PS4 Pro worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.